Dieting for Disney 2008

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Hey all,
Not a great day for me today - it started well...I went to the gym and ran a mile, and then had a nice healthy breakfast, but then things took a turn for the worse. I had 4 classes back to back with a 20 minute break in between, from 1 until 8, so there was no time for real food...therefore, I had vending machine and bake sale snacks that I really shouldn't have had. Then, finally at like 8, I got to have some real food (stir fry made very healthily). Unfortunately, I then had a really bad night, and turned to M&M's and hot chocolate for comfort food :-( I feel like I let myself down :cry:

I suppose tomorrow morning, I'll just have to wake up and hop right back on the horse... Wish me luck!

That is okay. We all have a "bad" day every so often. Forget it and tomorrow, move on for tomorrow is a new day. There is no use in making yourself feel bad, because thinking about it will only make it worse.

For those days in which you are extra busy, could you "think ahead" and pack yourself a healthy lunch? You'll feel a ton better as well as keep some extra change in your pocket (for use at WDW of course!).

And, look at the good things you did today: Working out, eating a healthy dinner, etc. Focus on those to help keep you focused. :)

pinkrose

Special K makes these new bars called Special K Bliss. They come in a chocolate orange flavor and chocolate raspberry flavor. At only 90 calories, they make you feel like you are having a real treat! :slurp:

Mybails

There is not a person in this world that doesn't have one of those days Figmentisgreat. Try to maybe put a piece of fruit in your bag for emergencies. I usually carry at least one orange. Today WILL be better!

I started the day with a half mile on the Gazelle, 5 minutes on the Nautilus, and 5 minutes on the AbLounge. Not the most intense workout, but since I haven't been working out at all, it's an improvement and that's what counts. Now an orange and a yogurt for breakfast and I'm good to go.

Here's to a great slimming day folks!!

OilSlinger822

this is a great topic!... I don't really consider myself overweight, but since being at college, I've definitely gained the freshman 15:mad: which I told myself I wouldn't...it's just hard because at my school you have to pass by the cheeseburgers and pizza and brownies before you get to the healthy stuff haha.... but I've started exercising and eating better...and I'm proud to say I've lost 2 lbs this week:sohappy:..

I've eaten healthy meals everyday and I've exercised at least an hr or more doing cardio & weights... I don't know if many of you are like me, but I absolutely HATE elliptical machines and treadmills... my college offers free aerobics classes like kickboxing and Zumba (which I loooove now).... and they offer discounts on those classes to locals. So if any of you live near a college campus, check out their recreation center and see if they do that in your area... I'll be back to check in next week!

ps (43 days til Disney trip!!):)

wdwmomof3

Hey all,
Not a great day for me today - it started well...I went to the gym and ran a mile, and then had a nice healthy breakfast, but then things took a turn for the worse. I had 4 classes back to back with a 20 minute break in between, from 1 until 8, so there was no time for real food...therefore, I had vending machine and bake sale snacks that I really shouldn't have had. Then, finally at like 8, I got to have some real food (stir fry made very healthily). Unfortunately, I then had a really bad night, and turned to M&M's and hot chocolate for comfort food :-( I feel like I let myself down :cry:

I suppose tomorrow morning, I'll just have to wake up and hop right back on the horse... Wish me luck!

Well, I did the same thing yesterday and I feel so bad about it that I didn't even go to the gym this morning. I was going to go but my friend couldn't make it so I skipped it. I will go later and get on the treadmill for a while.

I guess my problem is that I have been working hard at watching what I am eating, I have been working out and I am stuck at 131 for a week now and I can't drop below it for anything. It's really depressing. My goal is 120 -123 but it's taking for ever.

Pinkrose, my Mom told me about the Special K Bliss bars just this morning. I'm going to try them. I like the regular strawberry ones but the Bliss sounds way better. :)

pinkrose

Well, I did the same thing yesterday and I feel so bad about it that I didn't even go to the gym this morning. I was going to go but my friend couldn't make it so I skipped it. I will go later and get on the treadmill for a while.

I guess my problem is that I have been working hard at watching what I am eating, I have been working out and I am stuck at 131 for a week now and I can't drop below it for anything. It's really depressing. My goal is 120 -123 but it's taking for ever.

Pinkrose, my Mom told me about the Special K Bliss bars just this morning. I'm going to try them. I like the regular strawberry ones but the Bliss sounds way better. :)

They are! They remind me of a rice crispy treat with orange flavored chocolate on the bottom (and sweet pieces of candied oranges in the treat part). I haven't tried the raspberry ones just because I'm not fond of raspberry chocolate.

Figmentisgreat...don't feel bad :) Everyone has days like that. Today will be better, I'm sure. :)

figmentisgreat

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words!

I had my wonderful egg white omelet with red and green peppers, onions and a tiny pinch of cheese this morning. Then, I walked around new brunswick for a while and then did a mile on the treadmill.
I know this is probably not the world's best accomplishment, but I've always been really slow and out of shape. I could never run a mile under like 20 minutes. Then 2 days ago, I went to the gym and I did a mile in 14:55 minutes. Then, yesterday I did 13:55, and now I'm down to 13:35. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but hey! It's improvement!

Today has been a good day, and thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated!

figmentisgreat

Hi everyone!
Last update for the night! I ate really well all day today, so I'm really proud. I had a nice salad for dinner and then I had a GREAT little desert: Half a cup of Berry Special K and a banana mixed together with a tiny pump of Hershey's syrup (I'm talking REALLY tiny!) and a baby dollop of whipped cream. It was delicious!

Then, tonight I bought a blender so I can make nice fruit smoothies! I'm drinking a nice orange juice, strawberry yogurt, lime juice, and banana smoothie. It's really good!

I took everyone's advice and I am all set for my busy day tomorrow! I have work at 10, but the dining hall doesn't open until then, so normally I just grab a very high calorie coffee drink and a donut from a certain high priced coffee chain. Instead, I filled up a cup with Special K and grabbed some skim milk so that I can have some nice breakfast that actually has some nutritional value!

Thank you so much for all your support and advice everyone, and best of luck and congrats to all!!!!!!!!!

It's important to remember that it takes time and effort to change bad habits into good habits, and that's what we are trying to do here. If we can try to make one healthy change per week then it may be easier to commit to. Perhaps say "I'm going to cut down caffeine to one drink per day and swap the rest out with water" and do that for a week before tackling another issue might make it easier to make these permanent changes.

And remember that a slip doesn't have to mean a slide. If you have a bad day or a bad morning don't turn it into an excuse to throw away all the good that you've been able to accomplish. Use a slip as a good learning experience and move forward from there.

And being able to vent to your friends and family in person, on the phone or here will help to reinforce your efforts and keep focused.:sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

The last couple of days have been baaaad for me, too. :fork:

My normal schedule is totally thrown off. I've been so busy with so much going on. I missed my weekly weigh-in and shot Thursday. Dangit! I thought it wasn't a big deal, that I'd just do it on Friday but that all changed Thursday night when my 12 year old broke his wrist. It was 2a.m. before I got into bed. Friday I overslept and then was running like mad to get copies of the kiddos xrays so I could get him into an orthopedic for a better assesment and real cast. I didn't get to work out yesterday either. Normally I'm pretty structured on when I take my meds in relation to lunch and having the appetite curbed in the afternoons. That was totally thrown off and I ended up snacking on some cookies at one point. **sigh** I'm trying to get it back together. It's just tough.

I guess I can't complain too much. Chandler is okay. That's most important above any of my issues. His fracture ended up being minor and required only a short cast, no surgery or cast past his elbow. Maybe a little perspective rearrangement will be the ticket to getting back on track. It makes more sense sometimes when you type it all out and actually see the words. Life gets in the way sometimes. It's truly not the end of the world, huh?

:D

diddy_mouse

I think I might check back into this thread periodically. I'm trying to tone up for a surprise anniversary trip that was sprung on my last night! I've been trying to get myself toned for the past few months but I think i'm just lacking the motivation. I've been using dance DVD's and they seem to work (I was a former ballet dancer) I just can't keep a regular schedule.

The good thing is I'm slowly cutting down on the fast-food intake. I'm trying to eat more salads and fruit and also decrease my portion sizes. Here's hoping I'll be somewhere near my goal over the summer. The trip isn't until the second week of October.

figmentisgreat

Hi everyone!

Today's been a good day...I've been playing with my smoothie maker :)

For breakfast, I mixed some carnation instant breakfast with bananas and had a wonderful chocolate banana smoothie (reminded me of the frozen ones at DAK!) and then around 2 I had a green tea, lime, and pineapple smoothie. Then, I went to the gym really quickly because it closed at 4:30 today and I was eating with the BF at 3:30, so I needed to go before lunch/dinner and I ran for about 13 minutes. 12 min. and 50 sec mile today! The best I've ever done! Then, I was hungry and tired, so I had some turkey, lettuce and a little cheese on a whole wheat wrap and a cup of green tea!

I got some tips from a paper they were handing out at school yesterday - essentially little changes to make over the course of 26 days:
Day 1 - Don't take the car/bus anywhere you can easily walk
Day 2 - Dilute fruit juices with water for a nutritional bonus with less sugar
Day 3 - Add a chopped banana to your cereal for one serving of fruit
Day 4 - Brighten up pasta by tossing in some fresh veggies
Day 5 - Drink lots of water. Add a twist of lemon, make some tea, or drink it straight up!
Day 6 - Choose whole wheat breads for sandwiches
Day 7 - Try a new food today
Day 8 - Keep whole wheat wraps on hand to make a quick, portable lunch
Day 9 - Use hummus as a spread in a sandwich and enjoy!
Day 10 - Limit your entree to one serving tonight to exercise portion control
Day 11 - Add granola or fruit to frozen yogurt for a high fiber desert
Day 12 - Have a brunch omelet with egg whites and veggies
Day 13 - Go for pizza with peppers and onions instead of fatty meats
Day 14 - Spoon beans into vegetable soup for a hearty and lean protein meal
Day 15 - Carry around a bottle of water and refill it throughout the day.
Day 16 - Declare today soda free day!
Day 17 - Choose items that are grilled, baked, steamed, roasted, or stir fried
Day 18 - Enjoy the great outdoors by going for a walk or playing Frisbee
Day 19 - Make trail mix from dried fruit and nuts for fiber and protein
Day 20 - Grab fruit for a snack
Day 21 - Today, eat all of your meals sitting down instead of on the run
Day 22 - Don't buy the latest fad diet book!
Day 23 - Try a new veggie dish
Day 24 - Make sure to get calcium from foods like yogurt, low-fat milk, or calcium fortified juice
Day 25 - Refrigerate half of your restaurant meal tonight for lunch tomorrow

Missymoe4

Original Poster
I got some tips from a paper they were handing out at school yesterday - essentially little changes to make over the course of 26 days:
Day 1 - Don't take the car/bus anywhere you can easily walk
Day 2 - Dilute fruit juices with water for a nutritional bonus with less sugar
Day 3 - Add a chopped banana to your cereal for one serving of fruit
Day 4 - Brighten up pasta by tossing in some fresh veggies
Day 5 - Drink lots of water. Add a twist of lemon, make some tea, or drink it straight up!
Day 6 - Choose whole wheat breads for sandwiches
Day 7 - Try a new food today
Day 8 - Keep whole wheat wraps on hand to make a quick, portable lunch
Day 9 - Use hummus as a spread in a sandwich and enjoy!
Day 10 - Limit your entree to one serving tonight to exercise portion control
Day 11 - Add granola or fruit to frozen yogurt for a high fiber desert
Day 12 - Have a brunch omelet with egg whites and veggies
Day 13 - Go for pizza with peppers and onions instead of fatty meats
Day 14 - Spoon beans into vegetable soup for a hearty and lean protein meal
Day 15 - Carry around a bottle of water and refill it throughout the day.
Day 16 - Declare today soda free day!
Day 17 - Choose items that are grilled, baked, steamed, roasted, or stir fried
Day 18 - Enjoy the great outdoors by going for a walk or playing Frisbee
Day 19 - Make trail mix from dried fruit and nuts for fiber and protein
Day 20 - Grab fruit for a snack
Day 21 - Today, eat all of your meals sitting down instead of on the run
Day 22 - Don't buy the latest fad diet book!
Day 23 - Try a new veggie dish
Day 24 - Make sure to get calcium from foods like yogurt, low-fat milk, or calcium fortified juice
Day 25 - Refrigerate half of your restaurant meal tonight for lunch tomorrow

This list is GREAT! What a fun way to make subtle changes one day at a time. I think that I'm going to begin it Tuesday for day #1 of the month!
Thanks for sharing!
:)

WDWFigment

First, everyone needs to know this (and I know you weren't implyingthis) but you CAN"T spot lose weight. Meaning, doing sit ups will NOT burn belly fat. You lose fat overall and it usually works its way inwards from the appendages to your core...meaning the belly will be the last to go, so don't be discouraged.
Now, keep doing that ab slider but try to graduate to feet flat on the floor kneew bent, arms begind your head but elbows out- sit ups. THEY ARE HARD HARD HARD. You'll literally get 1/3 of one done the first time you try, but just lodge your feet in and keep trying, in a few weeks you'll be doing 5, then 10, etc.
To lose weight you may be nickel and iming yourself with food and not realize it. Pay careful attention to calories. I used to not lose weight and wondered why and it was cause I thought I was eating cube of cheese 2 Hershey kisses and a handful of nuts before the gym. That was enough calories that I wasn't burning any extra n the gym. Eating breakfast is crucial to reving up the day's metabolism.
This is how I work out:
Day 1: Biceps, Triceps, Chest
Day 2: Legs, Delts, Upper Back

I only lift for 20 minutes per day. i do pyramids: three sets of each body part with maximum weight I can lift to failure (I don't count reps) and then lower the weight a bit and do it again.

Here is an example: Chest 200 lbs for perhaps 7 reps, then immediately, lower it to 180 pounds for like 4 reps, then lower it to 150 for 4 reps, then lower it to 100 for maybe 5. (As much as I can do). Then I do a similar thing with biceps, and then tricpes, then back to chest, biceps, tricpes, chest biceps triceps. I take no rest in between anything. When I am done I have thrice worked each muscle group to absolute failure. This take 20 minutes. To get my breath, i then stretch and do abs then I run for 20 minutes on the hills of Pittsburgh...then I take a very hot shower.

The next day it is delts, legs and upper back. The very next day I do workout 1 again. I do this for 6 days in a row and then rest for 1. While I do this for the 6 days I also do WW

***Oh, yeah here is the key, weights first then run and here is why: You'll need power and energy for weights. By lifting you'll burn off your glucose and then when you run you'll be burning the reserves (fat)." technically it will work both ways but your weight routine (what really burns the most calories) will be less effective****

I use the pyramid method of working out as well (but with 20 seconds between each set), but from what I understand, an every-other day schedule is not the best way to approach working out. Muscle groups are best suited with two days to recover.

I go:
Day 1: triceps, biceps, chest
Day 2: lower body, abs
Day 3: back, shoulders

1 day off where I also eat a "bad" meal to trick my metabolism.

There is a really good book called The Body Sculpting Bible (one for men, one for women) that gives great information about working out. I'd recommend it to anyone, not just those looking to gain mass.

SteveVAB

Weight Watchers & Disney

Hey there everyone!

My wife and I joined the online version of Weight Watchers last October and went to Disney that December. We weren't so much worried about losing a lot of weight prior to our trip but we were concerned about our eating habits while at the World. I mean lets face it, Mickey Bars, all that great food at Epcot, etc., provide way too much temptation.

But, to our surprise we actually lost 4 pounds from all the walking and actually did allow ourselves to splurge on several occasions. I digress, back to your topic. Look at it this way, going to Disney can be part of your trek to lose weight. Think about all the exercise you're going to get walking around the parks. Don't worry about walking at a brisk pace or anything, just the walking alone will be great for your exercise points and losing weight.

Spend plenty of time in the gym, or at home, walking on the treadmill or around your neighborhood prior to your trip. If you really concentrate on walking at a brisk pace - 3 to 4 mph, for at least 30-45 minutes per day you will be amazed at how fast the pounds will come off. You can do this! It's not easy but this is something you really want to do so your motivation will make this happen for you.

We wish you the best of luck! Keep your eye on the prize and you'll do great!

OilSlinger822

I didn't behave well this weekend :( lol... Friday I was absolutely starving when me and a friend went to Outback... before my meal even came (which was grilled chicken & veggies) I had 2loaves of bread....by myself ahhh haha... then Sat. I went out to eat again and had 3 doughnuts from Krispy Kreme (yum)..then some skittles and some potato chips....and I didn't work out sat/today....I'm just trying to reassure myself that I'll eat better.........

ok....I guess I'm done ranting....writing it all down puts in in to better perspective for me.. I didn't eat to badly this weekend, but I need to do better starting right now! thanks for listening haha:)

sublimesting

I use the pyramid method of working out as well (but with 20 seconds between each set), but from what I understand, an every-other day schedule is not the best way to approach working out. Muscle groups are best suited with two days to recover.

I go:
Day 1: triceps, biceps, chest
Day 2: lower body, abs
Day 3: back, shoulders

1 day off where I also eat a "bad" meal to trick my metabolism.

There is a really good book called The Body Sculpting Bible (one for men, one for women) that gives great information about working out. I'd recommend it to anyone, not just those looking to gain mass.

That is 2 days between work outs right?, Monday evening to Wednesday evening is 48 hours.

The only muscles I do daily are abs (From what I understand they can be done daily as they are used the most and all day anyhow they are just built for that) and by default my forearms get a workout daily (Now that I think of it so do biceps and triceps, but forearms really take the hit I think - I do lots of twists and crazy stuff to get all ranges in there).

sublimesting

I didn't behave well this weekend :( lol... Friday I was absolutely starving when me and a friend went to Outback... before my meal even came (which was grilled chicken & veggies) I had 2loaves of bread....by myself ahhh haha... then Sat. I went out to eat again and had 3 doughnuts from Krispy Kreme (yum)..then some skittles and some potato chips....and I didn't work out sat/today....I'm just trying to reassure myself that I'll eat better.........

ok....I guess I'm done ranting....writing it all down puts in in to better perspective for me.. I didn't eat to badly this weekend, but I need to do better starting right now! thanks for listening haha:)

What manner of restaurant serves: <<Krispy Kreme (yum)..then some skittles and some potato chips>>. Me thinks you should go to classier places:animwink:

Just kidding:wave:

sublimesting

Always remember to change up your workout don't get stucj in a rut as it gets boring. I usually do 3 entirely different excercises for each muscle group.

Don't be afraid of the machines in the gym they only take a second to learn and add great variety.

Switch it up right in the middle of the workout!!! Aerobics for me is the most boring thing in the world and if I am in a gym I will do 8-10 minutes of running, then switch to the rowing machine for 5-10 minutes then do a bike for a bit....just always changing it up throughout the workout. Ya don't need to slug it out on a treadmill for 30 minutes straight!

Always remember, like Capt. Hook says "Show good form!" This means lift slow (It should take 3 seconds or so to lift and 3 seconds or so to lower).
No using momentum this is cheating you only and will injure you.

Start light but don't stay there, you should be working your way up with increasingly heavier weights. More muscle means less fat....and you're not going to look like a bulky hulk either so don't be afraid of that.

And if you're sore keep going don't use this as an excuse to not go. Eventually you will NOT be sore after workouts. Now, remember there is a difference between sore and pain. Soreness is normal and from lactic acid in the muscle from the workout whereas actual pain means you've injured yourself and need a break for as long as it takes to heal.

Mybails

just wondering

How's everybody doin'. Hope that everyone is on track even if you had a little slip. I didn't lose anything this weekend but I didn't gain any either and I definitely was lax on the workouts and the portions. Well today is a new day and we're all gonna do better, right?

Just keep thinking of those Disney family pics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom