Dieting for Disney 2008

WDWFigment

That is 2 days between work outs right?, Monday evening to Wednesday evening is 48 hours.

The only muscles I do daily are abs (From what I understand they can be done daily as they are used the most and all day anyhow they are just built for that) and by default my forearms get a workout daily (Now that I think of it so do biceps and triceps, but forearms really take the hit I think - I do lots of twists and crazy stuff to get all ranges in there).

Sorry, I meant 2 days between (so M-R, T-F, W-S, Sun=off).

As for abs, I don't think there is anything conclusive on how much rest they need. I've seen reputable reports indicating they need 2 days between just like the rest of muscle groups, others saying you can work them every day.

Personally, I've never noticed fatigue the following day, so I work them out a little more, when permitting. Sometimes this is every day, sometimes I don't have the time, and just stick to the normal schedule.

You're definitely right about switching up the types of exercise you do for particular muscles. If you're always doing the same type of lift, your body becomes accustomed to it, and won't benefit as much (even within a particular muscle, slight variations emphasize certain areas of the muscle).

I also agree with the form comments. I see so many people at the gym trying to be "tough" by lifting more. All they're doing is contributing to a lot of future damage to their muscles. You're much better off going lighter and using proper form.

figmentisgreat

Hey!

Things have been good. Weighing myself on Wednesday, but I definitely think that I look better. I'm starting toning exercise in addition to cardio this week. I'll report back on Wednesday!

sublimesting

Sorry, I meant 2 days between (so M-R, T-F, W-S, Sun=off).

As for abs, I don't think there is anything conclusive on how much rest they need. I've seen reputable reports indicating they need 2 days between just like the rest of muscle groups, others saying you can work them every day.

Personally, I've never noticed fatigue the following day, so I work them out a little more, when permitting. Sometimes this is every day, sometimes I don't have the time, and just stick to the normal schedule.

You're definitely right about switching up the types of exercise you do for particular muscles. If you're always doing the same type of lift, your body becomes accustomed to it, and won't benefit as much (even within a particular muscle, slight variations emphasize certain areas of the muscle).

I also agree with the form comments. I see so many people at the gym trying to be "tough" by lifting more. All they're doing is contributing to a lot of future damage to their muscles. You're much better off going lighter and using proper form.

My muscles don't get fatigued but I think it's cause I do wildly different excercises, even in one session. What DOES get fatigued is my forearms, though, as they get the workout DAILY. One thing I have never really read anywhere is legs being worked daily via aerobics. Wonder if they fall into the same theory as abs, legs are just built to work all day every day. About every 3 - 4 weeks I take off 3 or 4 days in a row though and notice my muscles developing more, perhaps I shall break my workouts down even more. Yes, indeed I shall.
Day 1 will be chest and upper back (oppossing muscle groups)
Day 2 will be biceps and triceps
Day 3 will be Legs and Delts

I really get preturbed at those monkeys that drop the weights from maximum height and yell while doing it so that we all get to notice them in their powerful glory. It's funny cause our gym is literally split down the middle, with normal people doing a healthy workout and the other side is monkeys screaming and yelling and throwing weights about while hottie girls watch them and ooh and ahh (I use the mirror to watch the hottie girls though:lookaroun).

sublimesting

Hey!

Things have been good. Weighing myself on Wednesday, but I definitely think that I look better. I'm starting toning exercise in addition to cardio this week. I'll report back on Wednesday!

Oh, yes, you'll notice your looks change and clothes fit better before you even LOSE weight....sometimes for a few weeks even.

figmentisgreat

Oh, yes, you'll notice your looks change and clothes fit better before you even LOSE weight....sometimes for a few weeks even.

I actually have noticed that my calf muscles are really cool. They are getting relatively big too! I was shocked! They aren't extremely nastily huge, but they are really firm!

fyn

Figmentisgreat - you mentioned earlier that your time improvements "weren't much". From someone who was a competitive swimmer for 16 years, those are huge improvements, but don't worry, I can't show you:

14:55 = 895 seconds
12:50 = 770 seconds

In the span of about a week (correct me if the timeframe is wrong), you've improved by roughly 14%. That's *huge*. Keep up the great work and don't sell yourself short. Admit you're doing wonderfully, and use it as motivation to keep going.

Fyn

sublimesting

I actually have noticed that my calf muscles are really cool. They are getting relatively big too! I was shocked! They aren't extremely nastily huge, but they are really firm!

Yeah, legs shape up pretty quick and BURN so many calories cause they are just slabs of muscle. Your butt will start firming up alot next.:sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

Sublimesting, are you a trainer or something??? Not being sarcastic, you just seem to be knowledgable with the fitness stuff. Tell me what you think: last week early in the week my right shoulder started bothering me a little from time to time. Mostly it was when I would reach back or stretch my arms back behind me. Seems like it got a little worse over the weekend. Then today it's been pretty painful to push upward on the machines or to push back. Feels like it's deep in the top front side of the joint. At what point should I speak with the doctor? I've had problems with my knees on occasion since I was 17 or so (playing tackle football with the boys wasn't the brightest thing I ever did on Sunday afternoons). Doctor told me years ago that if the knees made walking and functioning difficult I could look into scoping them. They've never been to that point. This thing with the shoulder seems different, tho. It's a new one on me. Still not enough to impact daily function or quality of life by any means. I won't allow myself to stop working the arms and shoulders, tho, because that's a target point for me. I'm really wanting them toned well for the May WDW trip.

Went back to the gym today after a 4 day hiatus. (I was hoping a rest would help the shoulder situation) My son with the broken wrist was home from school again yesterday so I stayed close to him. After a 4 day break my 30 minutes were so hard. I missed my weekly shot (lipotropics, HCG, & B12) last Thursday afternoon and I think that contributed. My energy level has been so low. As terrible as I thought I did this morning the smart equipment still said I burned 771 calories. I think it lies. Or maybe it knows I need the ego boost. :lol:

Speaking of boost, my name was 3rd on the list of top losers/achievers over the past 3 months for our Curves location. I was so proud!!!:king:

santa's surpriz

That must be my case...clothes are looking a lil' bigger. Went shopping and went down a size! Same weight though! Since starting exercising again beginning of Feb I have lost 6.5 inches. Loosing inches is encouraging, but loosing the weight is true motivation for me!

ProfSlim

I applaud anyone that is trying to lose weight. That being said, I can not diet in WDW...too many frozen bananas, turket legs, McD french fries, etc. for me...:ROFLOL:

sublimesting

Sublimesting, are you a trainer or something??? Not being sarcastic, you just seem to be knowledgable with the fitness stuff. Tell me what you think: last week early in the week my right shoulder started bothering me a little from time to time. Mostly it was when I would reach back or stretch my arms back behind me. Seems like it got a little worse over the weekend. Then today it's been pretty painful to push upward on the machines or to push back. Feels like it's deep in the top front side of the joint. At what point should I speak with the doctor? I've had problems with my knees on occasion since I was 17 or so (playing tackle football with the boys wasn't the brightest thing I ever did on Sunday afternoons). Doctor told me years ago that if the knees made walking and functioning difficult I could look into scoping them. They've never been to that point. This thing with the shoulder seems different, tho. It's a new one on me. Still not enough to impact daily function or quality of life by any means. I won't allow myself to stop working the arms and shoulders, tho, because that's a target point for me. I'm really wanting them toned well for the May WDW trip.

Went back to the gym today after a 4 day hiatus. (I was hoping a rest would help the shoulder situation) My son with the broken wrist was home from school again yesterday so I stayed close to him. After a 4 day break my 30 minutes were so hard. I missed my weekly shot (lipotropics, HCG, & B12) last Thursday afternoon and I think that contributed. My energy level has been so low. As terrible as I thought I did this morning the smart equipment still said I burned 771 calories. I think it lies. Or maybe it knows I need the ego boost. :lol:

Speaking of boost, my name was 3rd on the list of top losers/achievers over the past 3 months for our Curves location. I was so proud!!!:king:

OK, you're going to hate this, but STOP working your shoulders and free-weight upper body entirely except for what I list below! That is the worst thing you could possibly do!!! The worst!!! You'll dislike this even more but gym injuries can take months to recover from. Seldom is surgery required as they are usually small tears in tendons or muscle that will heal with time but if you push it you're going to damage yourself. I KNOW its hard to stop all the progress you've made and that usually takes more willpower to do than getting to the gym in the first place but STOP!!!
Anyways, it sounds like a rotator cuff. Wait until it does not hurt at all and then try a day with LIGHT weights. And by light I mean like 5 lbs. to test it.

Here's what you can NOT work at all, either machine or free weight:
chest
shoulders
upper back

What you CAN do is:
biceps
tricpes but not free weights only pully machine
legs
abs

Basically anything that uses your shoulders is a NO. You're not an athlete playing through the pain to win the Superbowl, if you hurt yourself you will be layed up a LONG time with an expensive surgery that won't allow you any working out at all! Not worth it.

Increase your cardio dramatically!!! Not sure if you are overweight but losing weight will by default make your muscles show up more anyways. I'd stick to light weights f what I've mentioned and run for 45 minutes daily (that's what I'd do).

Hre is my story:

Was getting ready for the beach and working out daily, just getting into nice shape and decided to use the heavy bag. Ended up straining my tendons in my elbow and forearms. I did not take a break just kept lifting through the pain figuring I'd build them back up that way. I was too far along and too near summer to stop. I worked hard for months prior to that and didn't want it to be for naught. They hurt worse and worse and worse until I couldn't pick up a coffee mug. I had given myself tennis and golfers elbow in both arms! They did not heal for 7 months after this. Thusly I was injured and hurt for a total of 10 months. Had I let them heal in the first place I woul've been sideloined for only 2 months. Bad trade-off.

By the way I am not a trainer but I have worked out my whole life, I read, and I educate myself.

P.S. Do NOT get a cortizone shot whatever you do. This is a temporary solution to the pain only. You will not heal any quicker and it may get you through the workout but cortizone weakens tendons dramatically. They'll actually snap right off the bone!

sublimesting

I applaud anyone that is trying to lose weight. That being said, I can not diet in WDW...too many frozen bananas, turket legs, McD french fries, etc. for me...:ROFLOL:

I agree with that. I only get to WDW every few years and won't deprive myself of delicious items I can only get there to save a few lbs.

sublimesting

That must be my case...clothes are looking a lil' bigger. Went shopping and went down a size! Same weight though! Since starting exercising again beginning of Feb I have lost 6.5 inches. Loosing inches is encouraging, but loosing the weight is true motivation for me!

Actually a truer judgement is the inches lost not the weight. Measure everything ONCE per week. Muscle weighs way more than fat. For example, I weigh 200 and am 6' but wear size 34 pants and a large shirt. My friend is 6' and weighs 220 but wear 46 pants and a XXL shirt cause he's pure fat.

grumpyguy

Injury

I had a partially torn rotator cuff from an injury at work. Ached all the time, had to get an MRI to ever find out what the problem was. They were able to fix it with PT. Though it still hurts when the weather changes

figmentisgreat

I need a little advice. At the gym here, there are the machines that I always do, but then there are the other weight machines. I kinda want to do a little with the weights, but I know I will get the strangest looks. Any ideas?

santa's surpriz

Actually a truer judgement is the inches lost not the weight. Measure everything ONCE per week. Muscle weighs way more than fat. For example, I weigh 200 and am 6' but wear size 34 pants and a large shirt. My friend is 6' and weighs 220 but wear 46 pants and a XXL shirt cause he's pure fat.

Thanks for the motivation!!!

santa's surpriz

I agree with that. I only get to WDW every few years and won't deprive myself of delicious items I can only get there to save a few lbs.

sooo true, I could not give up the tastiest things on earth. I was there in Dec 2007 and ate pigalicous on the dining plan. All that walking I did not gain a pound!

santa's surpriz

P.S. Do NOT get a cortizone shot whatever you do. This is a temporary solution to the pain only. You will not heal any quicker and it may get you through the workout but cortizone weakens tendons dramatically. They'll actually snap right off the bone![/quote]

Ditto on the cortizone shot! From Personal experience it is not a permanent fix. I went for years for a shot in my foot. I finally switched to a sport's medicine doctor. What a difference. A little more aggressive and recommended surgery, turns out the cortizone shot was reducing the swelling of a pinched nerve between my toes. After the surgery the nerve was actually the size of a crayola marker. Cortizone was not the right fix! You can only imagine what it would feel like to squeeze a crayola marker between your toes and walk... I do not even think the ortho. surgeon knew what I had, cortizone shots are just given so frequently without researching the real problem. I also have plantar facistis. A doctor recommended cortizone and I refused, doctor was not happy but opted to refer me to physical therapist. Another good decision. Point is there are better solutions. A temporary fix is not always the way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom