Dieting for Disney 2008

diddy_mouse

I have noticed a slight change in my legs and I couldn't be happier! I've been eating better and trying to exercise at least 30 min a day. Okay...more like twice a week, but I'm slowly working my way up. In that 30 min I try to work a couple of different areas, just so I'm not focusing on one trouble spot at a time. I'll do leg exercises then move to abs or arms. I'm really hoping I'll stay motivated with the workout, my new eating habits are definitely helping though. It gives me more energy which is great! I haven't had any fast food in about three weeks...now I haven't quit cold turkey, it just kinda happened that way. I wasn't really craving it as much.

I've set somewhat of a goal for myself. I hope to get toned by August for a wedding I'm attending. That way I'll be fit for my trip to WDW in October :D

wdwmomof3

That's great diddy mouse! I have been so busy these past few days that I have let the diet & workout go until today. I am back on track again and hopefully it will be even better tomorrow.

sweetpee_1993

I had a partially torn rotator cuff from an injury at work. Ached all the time, had to get an MRI to ever find out what the problem was. They were able to fix it with PT. Though it still hurts when the weather changes

Okay. That sorta scares me. :lookaroun I don't want any permanent damage. Between your post and sublimesting's I'll lay off the shoulders a little bit. I forgot that I have an appointment this Thursday to do my monthly visit with the doctor for the weight loss program I'm doing. I suppose I'll make mention of the shoulder then.

Oh! And I juuust got done adding some new downloads to my ipod so I can do a little running at the local park tomorrow. Maybe I can make up the difference in laying off my shoulders with some other efforts.

Thanks for the help, fellas! :kiss:

fyn

Strengthening your rotator cuff's supporting muscles (i.e. what you need to do unless you've actually torn something, but you'd know it if you did) is relatively easy if you get some quick instruction on the exercises. I had to do these for 4 straight years in college when I was swimming competitively. Butterfly isn't too nice on shoulders (but at least it makes 'em look good). ;)

Here's a quick test. With your arm straight down at your side, bring your forearm up so its pointing straight ahead, but keep your elbow pinned at your side. Now try swiveling your forearm in toward your belly (again, keep the elbow pinned at your side) with some form of resistance. Al do the same motion, but in the opposite direction. If either hurts, even a little bit, stop immediately. That's a symptom of tendonitis in the cuff, and should be fixable with some very minor physical therapy you can do before or after your workouts, but it won't go away unless you strengthen the supporting muscles in the cuff (essentially, the major muscle groups have outgrown the smaller ones, and they can't handle similar amounts of stress, so you need to balance it out).

Also, if you're doing all of your strength training with machines, try using free weights. You'll have to drop down a bit in the weight you can handle, but the benefit is that balancing free weights, and maintaining proper form with them also works your supporting muscles.

Fyn

sweetpee_1993

Strengthening your rotator cuff's supporting muscles (i.e. what you need to do unless you've actually torn something, but you'd know it if you did) is relatively easy if you get some quick instruction on the exercises. I had to do these for 4 straight years in college when I was swimming competitively. Butterfly isn't too nice on shoulders (but at least it makes 'em look good). ;)

Here's a quick test. With your arm straight down at your side, bring your forearm up so its pointing straight ahead, but keep your elbow pinned at your side. Now try swiveling your forearm in toward your belly (again, keep the elbow pinned at your side) with some form of resistance. Al do the same motion, but in the opposite direction. If either hurts, even a little bit, stop immediately. That's a symptom of tendonitis in the cuff, and should be fixable with some very minor physical therapy you can do before or after your workouts, but it won't go away unless you strengthen the supporting muscles in the cuff (essentially, the major muscle groups have outgrown the smaller ones, and they can't handle similar amounts of stress, so you need to balance it out).

Also, if you're doing all of your strength training with machines, try using free weights. You'll have to drop down a bit in the weight you can handle, but the benefit is that balancing free weights, and maintaining proper form with them also works your supporting muscles.

Fyn

Swiveling in towards my belly does not hurt at all. Out to the side is the complete oppposite. Very sharp, immediate pain. I'll call the doctor today.

I work out at Curves. Everything there is machines. No free weights. I know which machines work my shoulders, which ones make it hurt. I'll lay off those but still do the rest of my workout. I intend to add a run at the park after my normal visits to the gym and tanning salon. Also, I have 5 & 8 lb. hand weights here at home I can work gently with. This blows, tho. I really, really wanted my arms to have good definition for all these awesome tank tops I've bought for the trip! Grrrrrr!!!!

sublimesting

I need a little advice. At the gym here, there are the machines that I always do, but then there are the other weight machines. I kinda want to do a little with the weights, but I know I will get the strangest looks. Any ideas?

Here's a little something I do (among many crazy things):

I use light free weights and move my muscles any way I want to that I would move them in the natural world or not. They aren't conventional and they may look goofy but it ensures I get to do something creative and get a wide range of muscles involved.
For example: I use 7 lb weights in each hand and holding my arms straight, raise them in front of me all th way parrallel to the floor, then rotate my hands so palms are facing OUTWARD and bring the weights so it looks like I am crucified, then raise them above my head, then bring them down so my delts are angled and the weights meet in a V, then bring them up as if I am flinging someone off of me.

Maybe that sounds bizaar and you can't follow it but the point is don't stick with standard arm curls or bench pressesetc.. BE CREATIVE!!!!!

WAIT this is a better explanation: Pretend you are doing something and emulate it, like pouring a pitcher of tea, or starting a lawnmower, or a golf swing,, heck just hold VERY LIGHT weights and windmill your arms around like a little girl attacking someone....doesn't matter.

To target specific muscles:
Stand in front of a mirror and move your arm or whatever in every direction and range you can think of and FEEL with your other hand what muscles are tensing the most. Try to emulate this with light weights. By doing this you'll be able to feel that there are different areas of every muscle that are worked depending on what range of motion you put them through.

As for other machines, ask someone, people LOVE to help out in a gym and show off their expertise. Or just watch others use the machine. I find myself sticking to free weights though as another poster said, it helps your balance and your core and uses more muscle. 100 LBS ON A MACHINE IS NOT 100 LBS IN THE REAL WORLD!

wdwmomof3

Just an update!

From last Weds. to this Weds, my total weight loss is 7 pounds!
:sohappy:

Thats wonderful! Keep up the good work. I am still the same but I haven't been really dieting this week. I am in a funk. I have been so busy with the kids & helping a friend with her new business. I have the day to myself today so I wont be eating on the run.

Oh yea, I just ate a LC meal with beef tips & new potatoes and it was like eating canned dog food.:hurl: I have got to stop thinking about it before I lose it.:lol:

Joy Peace

Well I am joining this thread a little late but better late than never I suppose.
I think this is a marvelous idea. Everyone needs support and encouragement when trying to loose weight. I am getting a really late start on trying to get the pounds off. :brick: My trip is in the middle of July so I think I have fourteen weeks to loose as much as possible. I figure if I can loose at least 2 pounds a week that would be a 28 pound lose. Better than no pounds lost! Any one have any suggestions? All advise is much appreciated. You all seem to be doing really well I congratulate you all on your success so far. Keep up the good work!:sohappy:

figmentisgreat

Ow! TODAY WAS HORRIBLE

food-wise, today was fine, but exercise was horrendous.

I got to the gym around 9:25. I wasn't able to get on a machine until 9:55 because some girl said she'd be off at 9:45, so when it was 9:45 and she wasn't done, she said she wanted to keep going so she could burn 200 calories. The gym by me has a 1/2 hour limit and she was on for 10 minutes when I got there at 9:25, so she kept going anyway. I was just like "whatever" and non confrontational, so when I finally got on the machine, I got right into my workout...I warmed up for a bit and then started running at a really good pace. I felt fine when I was running, but after about 7 minutes (about .6 miles), My throat felt really dry and I started to feel a little dizzy. I slowed down a lot so that I could not hurt myself, and then I stopped after only 10 minutes of exercise total (yes, I waited HALF AN HOUR to run for only 10 minutes!). Then, I got off and started talking to one of the employees that I know for about 5 minutes. When I started walking away from the gym, I realized that I hurt my left leg. It is killing me...not just regular sore. And, I don't think it's shin splints, because it is in my whole lower leg, not just the front of it. I'm sitting here typing this, and I'm almost crying. What should I do to make it feel better?!?!?!?!?!??! I hope this doesn't make me have to stop working out, because I really feel accomplished when I run, and I know that even if I stop for a day or two, I might not ever get myself to go back. Any advice?!??!?!?!

elizs77

At weigh in today, I'm down 7.4 pounds! Woo hoo!!! Now to just get another 10 off before WDW and then not put it on while I'm there!

sweetpee_1993

Ow! TODAY WAS HORRIBLE

food-wise, today was fine, but exercise was horrendous.

I got to the gym around 9:25. I wasn't able to get on a machine until 9:55 because some girl said she'd be off at 9:45, so when it was 9:45 and she wasn't done, she said she wanted to keep going so she could burn 200 calories. The gym by me has a 1/2 hour limit and she was on for 10 minutes when I got there at 9:25, so she kept going anyway. I was just like "whatever" and non confrontational, so when I finally got on the machine, I got right into my workout...I warmed up for a bit and then started running at a really good pace. I felt fine when I was running, but after about 7 minutes (about .6 miles), My throat felt really dry and I started to feel a little dizzy. I slowed down a lot so that I could not hurt myself, and then I stopped after only 10 minutes of exercise total (yes, I waited HALF AN HOUR to run for only 10 minutes!). Then, I got off and started talking to one of the employees that I know for about 5 minutes. When I started walking away from the gym, I realized that I hurt my left leg. It is killing me...not just regular sore. And, I don't think it's shin splints, because it is in my whole lower leg, not just the front of it. I'm sitting here typing this, and I'm almost crying. What should I do to make it feel better?!?!?!?!?!??! I hope this doesn't make me have to stop working out, because I really feel accomplished when I run, and I know that even if I stop for a day or two, I might not ever get myself to go back. Any advice?!??!?!?!

Go to the doctor. That's what I'm having to do. I figure the quicker I find out what the deal is with this bum shoulder the quicker I can address whatever it is and get it over with. I'm not at all thrilled about slowing down my exercising and not being able to focus on my arms/shoulders. I was really working to tone these areas along with others. I don't want to prolong the recovery by trying to possibly wait out the injury. Also, your doctor or some of the staff at your gym can probably give you alternative things you can do that have less impact on the knee/leg but keep you moving in the right direction with your goals.

Good luck. I'll report back tomorrow. I go at 9:30 for my weigh & measure. Then at 10 I'll be walking down the hall to see the doc. :(

mindy0509

This is such a hard time of the year for me to be dieting and it always seems like I am trying to lose weight for an upcoming vacation. Any advice for someone who works in an accounting firm and supports the tax department for dieting and trying to get exercise in during tax season. Thank god there is only 2 more weeks left. The problem is they are always bringing breakfast and lunch in to the office and none of it is healthy. I try to bring my own food in but it is so tempting when you are running on empty and just need something quick. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

(Don't I sound like a whiney baby? :p)

Joy Peace

mindy0509 my trainer tells me to always have some kind of quick snack with me at all times. Like almonds or unsalted sunflowerseeds or a piece of cheese. Something with protien in it. She says we should have a snack in between meals because it keeps our matabolism burning. I have to set my alarm on my phone to remind me to eat my snack other wise I forget. Also I googled 'excersises you can do at your desk' and a ton of stuff came up. You should try to look these up and see if they help you. As for food that is brought in to work that is tempting (I know this is easier said then done:hammer:) but you just have to determine in your heart which is more important, the tempting food or loosing the weight. Try to take things to work with you that you enjoy eating that are good for you. Your body will thank you and you will look fabulous on your vacation!:sohappy:

Joy Peace

figmentisgreat- Definately go to the doctor. If you think it feels different then just being sore or a shin slint then I wouldnt mess around with it. You dont want to injure your self more and not be able to excercise at all. In the mean time there are other ways you can get your heart rate up and do cardio without using your legs. Ask someone at your gym Im sure they will help you. Good Luck!

Joy Peace

elizs77- Good for you! I know you can do it. We all can do it if we would just set our minds and hearts we can accomplish anything! Say bye bye to those last 10 pounds and hello to a great vacation in WDW!:sohappy:

WDWFigment

Okay. That sorta scares me. :lookaroun I don't want any permanent damage. Between your post and sublimesting's I'll lay off the shoulders a little bit. I forgot that I have an appointment this Thursday to do my monthly visit with the doctor for the weight loss program I'm doing. I suppose I'll make mention of the shoulder then.

Oh! And I juuust got done adding some new downloads to my ipod so I can do a little running at the local park tomorrow. Maybe I can make up the difference in laying off my shoulders with some other efforts.

Thanks for the help, fellas! :kiss:

You need to strengthen your rotator cuff. Try holding a 2-4 lb weight (yes, I know, it's very light) and holding you upper-arm (do arms one at a time for this) parallel to the ground (straight out from your shoulder), and holding your forearm perpendicular to the ground (90 degree angle between upper and forearm). Now slowly turn the arm at your shoulder. It's hard to explain how this should look, but if you know anything about baseball--it should look similar to how you would throw (somewhat...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom