DHS CARS LAND

misterID

I think the key difference here is the medium the IPs started in, as well as how they evolved. Star Wars started as a film, has been touched by literally THOUSANDS of people outside of George himself, and has evolved in numerous ways over the last 35 years. Harry Potter started as a book. JK Rowling had, and continues to, create every minute aspect of the franchise from her own imagination. As much as I'm sure Lucas considers Star Wars his baby, the very expanded universe concept of Star Wars makes it so that Harry Potter is undoubtedly much more near and dear to JK Rowling than Star Wars is to Lucas. I can understand why she would be so protective of it.

Now grant it, being an individual who has no experience in theme park design or logistics, I'm sure some of her demands were quite outlandish and impossible to implement. But kudos to Universal for letting her have a very heavy say while applying her ideas to a very unique medium.

Lucas on the other hand...how long ago were there rumors about Star Tours II? I'd say there was a gap of 10 or more years between when word first started to spread and when it actually became reality.

I really haven't heard that Lucas was the main reason for any delay... I know the tech was a problem and all that, so I can't say for sure. But I've never heard anything about George ever standing in the way of them expanding the attractions in their parks, other than Disney's lack of ambition to do anything with it. Not having an Indy ride at WDW didn't have anything to do with George that I'm aware of.

WDW1974

And for the record, why anyone would want a fifth park (which is nonsense) when the existing parks need so much help is beyond me.

OCD mental illness with the Disney BRAND and boredom, even if they won't admit it, with what WDW currently offers.

I do think people who bring up a fifth gate in a thread here should automatically be forced to watch the last three Star Wars films for 24 hours straight with no food or water.

WDW1974

Considering the fact that in less than 10 years from inception to completion Universal will have done substantially more with Harry Potter than Disney has with SW/Indy in the past 25? I'd wager it's a safe bet that Rowling is just a tad more flexible than Lucas.

Not true at all, Matt.

You have no idea how inflexible JK is ... where's Lightbulb when you need him?
The reason you haven't had new Lucas product in the parks is because Disney didn't want to pay for them. Same reason you haven't had much other product introduced in the parks in the last decade plus.

George may have greatly damaged his rep and his franchise with three bad films, but he wasn't the reason you didn't get more attractions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just because the RCID report says build across World Drive doesn't mean it's any more likely than it was 20 years ago - when this idea was first proposed. This report in the past has also had the monorail route from Epcot to the Studios marked on it, parking structures for the MK and Futureworld in Epcots parking lot but that's not happened either.

Feasibility study is just that. Is it feasible.

And now, back to the topic in hand.

Spike-in-Berlin

But the fact that there is unsuitable swamp land south of DHS isn't really a subjective call. Or the fact that World Drive is to the west. So, there are some hard facts that are hard to get around in the report. It is like an intelligence estimate, you give a percentage estimate of something happening a certain way. If you look at the institutional history, a disinclination to infill development in DHS, as well as fixed geographical features which preclude development, I see about a 10% chance they would seriously consider building Carsland at DHS.

I see about a 0.00001% chance they will build a fifth park in the next fifteen years.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But the fact that there is unsuitable swamp land south of DHS isn't really a subjective call. Or the fact that World Drive is to the west. So, there are some hard facts that are hard to get around in the report. It is like an intelligence estimate, you give a percentage estimate of something happening a certain way. If you look at the institutional history, a disinclination to infill development in DHS, as well as fixed geographical features which preclude development, I see about a 10% chance they would seriously consider building Carsland at DHS.

I see a 100% chance that they would seriously consider building Cars land at DHS since the OP on this thread and other insiders (all of which I trust) have said it as fact that this is being seriously considered. Now whether it actually gets built or not is another story entirely.

As for your other assertion that it would be cheaper to build Cars land on new land instead of replacing LMA and Backlot, yes the construction costs would likely be less, but it would increase ongoing operating costs of the park. Since Carsland would likely be a much bigger draw then LMA+Backlot combined it may be more economical in the long run to replace then to add on.

Spike-in-Berlin

But back to the main point of the argument... I believe that both Universal and Disney have equal access to all the skills needed to create incredible ground breaking attractions, so in the end it just comes down to who is more willing to spend the money and take the risk to do it. Disney used to that, but in recent years is looks like Universal and now Comcast are more willing. That's not to say things can't change, Disney could create groundbreaking attractions for Avatar, but that is yet to be seen. We know what Universal has planned for HP2 and we can see the dirt moving and steel rising, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt at the moment and believing that they will deliver.

What has Universal planned for HP2, I haven't read anything about it yet?

Spike-in-Berlin

That post was actually supposed to go into another thread, so I have moved it, but for an answer to your question check out this post to start with:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/cameron-has-given-the-ok.854345/page-35#post-5189647

Thanks, sound impressive. The Hogwarts Express does reminds me, not exactly surprising, of the "Bullet Train Ride" that was planned for the Japan Pavilion, of course again never built.

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyworld/bullettrainride.php

CBOMB

OCD mental illness with the Disney BRAND and boredom, even if they won't admit it, with what WDW currently offers.

I do think people who bring up a fifth gate in a thread here should automatically be forced to watch the last three Star Wars films for 24 hours straight with no food or water.
Could I at least drink some beer, and watch Indy 4 in between SW episodes?

WDW1974

I see a 100% chance that they would seriously consider building Cars land at DHS since the OP on this thread and other insiders (all of which I trust) have said it as fact that this is being seriously considered. Now whether it actually gets built or not is another story entirely.

As for your other assertion that it would be cheaper to build Cars land on new land instead of replacing LMA and Backlot, yes the construction costs would likely be less, but it would increase ongoing operating costs of the park. Since Carsland would likely be a much bigger draw then LMA+Backlot combined it may be more economical in the long run to replace then to add on.

They are 100% looking into it ... and while others like rudolf and lightbulb have said it's a done deal, I'll only say that it looks very good.

But, if they build it, then it will be on land the park alrteady has (be it by removing stuff and/or expanding into the parking lot). They will not be building in another park or across the road or over the river and through the woods.

WDW1974

Could I at least drink some beer, and watch Indy 4 in between SW episodes?

No. No beer. No Indy. (No Texans updates either)

Just the torture of watching three lousy and painful films to remind you to not ever say something as ignorant, off base and flat out stupid as Disney building a fifth gate in O-Town, but you'd never do that anyway ...

stevehousse

I'f TDO was smart and really wanted to expand the park to make it bigger, their best bet would be to remove the parking lot behind the Indy area, and then use that for a nice expansion and then turn the other side of the parking lot into a multi level garage like some of the other Disney parks have overseas. Just a thought...

menamechris

I'f TDO was smart and really wanted to expand the park to make it bigger, their best bet would be to remove the parking lot behind the Indy area, and then use that for a nice expansion and then turn the other side of the parking lot into a multi level garage like some of the other Disney parks have overseas. Just a thought...

I think parking structures will be put off as long as possible. They only need to look to Universal to see how problematic parking garages have been from a security and safety perspective to want to avoid them. I am sure they will come at some point - most likely to Downtown Disney - but I don't think they are ideal from an operating standpoint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom