DHS CARS LAND

case88

Not sure if this has been posted - but this hat was highlighted on another site i saw this am....just a coincidence or is merch getting ready for Cars to come to town?

It was in MK...

MickeyTowMaterGoofyEars__55121.1314839097.1280.1280.jpg

Disneykidder

Not sure if this has been posted - but this hat was highlighted on another site i saw this am....just a coincidence or is merch getting ready for Cars to come to town?

MickeyTowMaterGoofyEars__55121.1314839097.1280.1280.jpg
It may just be merchandise promoting Cars. Especially since there is this kind of stuff all over Disneyland right now. But I would LOVE for it to be a sneaky peak into Carsland coming to DHS!!

RSoxNo1

Oh, and I believe any new Star Wars expansion would start where Star Tours is now and go over the entrance road and use the land between the road and the creek (which could be re-routed farther out as well).
I believe this is also a possibility, but there is useable in park facilities that could also be absorbed first. Combining Sounds Dangerous and American Idol gives them a large useable space, as does the demolition of the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

Ignohippo

I believe this is also a possibility, but there is useable in park facilities that could also be absorbed first. Combining Sounds Dangerous and American Idol gives them a large useable space, as does the demolition of the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

IMO, without completely re-developing all of Echo Lake (which they may do) American Idol is a bit to far out into the park for any kind of SW land. It doesn't give it a good entrance point.

Also, I don't think they'd want to forsake Indy altogether. They may replace the show with the ride, but I would think they'd still want some kind of Indy presence.

Wow, I still say losing the Indy show would be an enormous loss. I hate the idea of that. I'm sure it's coming though.

doctornick

Also, I don't think they'd want to forsake Indy altogether. They may replace the show with the ride, but I would think they'd still want some kind of Indy presence.

If they are going to replace the stunt show with a ride at some point, there is no reason why it needs to be at the same location. So, IMHO, no reason not to use the stunt show space (and potentially the expansion pad behind it) for an expanded Star Wars area and put an IJ attraction elsewhere in WDW.

I totally agree with keeping IJ in the parks though. I'm ambivalent about the stunt show (I'm find with it staying, but it's not my favorite attraction) and would prefer an IJ ride to it. There are so many possibilities for an Indiana Jones ride -- someone suggested a water based ride for DHS and I think that would be unique to Disney parks and a beneficial addition to that park since it lacks any water rides.

misterID

If they don't add an Indy attraction to the stuntshow, or in place of it, for any Lucasland expansion in DHS it would be a majorly lame. And yes, it would be missed. I just have a hard time seeing them taking it out under any circumstance, no matter if they add another SW attraction or not.

And it amazes me what a perfect fit Carsland is in DHS in that plot of space. I think it wuld be cool if they could somehow salavage the BLT and retheme/repurposed it to a backlot Pixar tour.

misterID

If they are going to replace the stunt show with a ride at some point, there is no reason why it needs to be at the same location. So, IMHO, no reason not to use the stunt show space (and potentially the expansion pad behind it) for an expanded Star Wars area and put an IJ attraction elsewhere in WDW.

I totally agree with keeping IJ in the parks though. I'm ambivalent about the stunt show (I'm find with it staying, but it's not my favorite attraction) and would prefer an IJ ride to it. There are so many possibilities for an Indiana Jones ride -- someone suggested a water based ride for DHS and I think that would be unique to Disney parks and a beneficial addition to that park since it lacks any water rides.

This is just my humble opinion, but really, Star Wars could do with just another attraction at DHS and the catina. That could take the place of SD and AI buildings. Keep Indy where it's at and use that expansion pad for an Indy ride and make it a real Lucasland.

doctornick

This is just my humble opinion, but really, Star Wars could do with just another attraction at DHS and the catina. That could take the place of SD and AI buildings. Keep Indy where it's at and use that expansion pad for an Indy ride and make it a real Lucasland.

Eh, I think a larger more immersive land for Star Wars would be more interesting from an experience standpoint. While I'm not opposed to theming "lands" at DHS by studio, I don't see a real need to do so when good alternatives exist. There's no particular reason to keep Star Wars and Indiana Jones together near each other just because they are Lucusfilm products.

I don't think in the short or medium term that the stunt show is going anywhere and I agree that other space (especially the Sounds Dangerous theater and Studio Backlot for food) can be used for Star Wars initially but long term I'd rather they earmark the area for more Star Wars rather than investing in an IJ ride which would limit SW expansion. Just to each their own.

As I've said, though, I'd love to see more IJ -- maybe even in Adventureland it is in DL.

RSoxNo1

IMO, without completely re-developing all of Echo Lake (which they may do) American Idol is a bit to far out into the park for any kind of SW land. It doesn't give it a good entrance point.

Wow, I still say losing the Indy show would be an enormous loss. I hate the idea of that. I'm sure it's coming though.
Universal took down a building in 2 weeks. You don't need to use the same entrance/exit as the existing American Idol. I would imagine that if they wanted to combine that space into a single attraction they would probably have to demo and start over.

Spike-in-Berlin

Makes more sense to build Carsland elsewhere, and to retool/reimagine the backlot, especially since this wouldn't involve shutting down 1/3 of DHS for three years. Remember, DCA had construction walls, but attraction capacity wasn't decreased as it was a parking lot that was lost, in terms of Carsland.

I repeat, there is no necessity whatsoever to close one third of DHS for years. If Cars Land is built in the area it concerns only TWO attractions. both incredibly boring and in the back of the studios so you can demolish them without having to close down anything else. LMA and the Backlot Studio Tour. Pardon my french but your argument is rubbish!

Pixiedustmaker

We know RCID is Disney's tool to do what aver they want, but RCID is a government entity. Whether or not Disney employees are also on the RCID board doesn't change that, nor does it change the fact that the RCID wouldn't consider land already in use an "expansion pad".

:eek: Non-Disney employees on RCID board!

I'm glad I got you from, "The RCID isn't Disney", and now you're at RCID is Disney's tool, but leave open the possibility for non-Disney folks on RCID board. Again, not how RCID works, and why it was setup which goes to heart of the story of WDW. RCID board members have always been high-ranking Disney employees. Disney owns all of the property on the property sans public roads and sham 5-acre parcels given to board members.

Disney = RCID.

RCID took an act of the state legislature and the Florida governor at the time. It was meant to give Disney almost complete control of everything on the property. I believe that during a signing ceremony, Governor Kirk told Roy Disney, "“Mr. Disney, I’ve studied the Reedy Creek Improvement District. It’s very comprehensive. I noticed only one omission. You made no provision for the crown.

RCID allowed for Disney to control the utilities, and limit overview, and cut through red tape. The only thing the counties they lived in could do to them was levy taxes and inspect elevators. Heck, everybody knows RCID could even build a nuclear power plant if they . . . if Disney wanted.

Under state law RCID has to provide a comprehensive development plan. They have and continue to do so. No reason to believe the info in the plan is doctored as there is plenty of room for Carsland . . . at a fifth gate, or elsewhere.

RCID is a unique blend, a government/private entity, really just the Mouse's power play to control things on its property, i.e. a private entity with the powers of the government and which doesn't need to respond to the "people" as they 100% control it. They specifically don't want non-company folks ever voting or having any say whatsoever regarding RCID. That is why they *lease* property for third party developers, as only landowners can vote, be on the board.

NoChesterHester

I disagree. Most of us that grew up on Star Wars are now in our middle age. It defined our generation to a certain degree. We now have disposable income and love to relive our childhood. Why do you think things like Star Wars and GI Joe and Transformers are relevant again? The mid to late 30's parents enjoying the reboots and sharing those things with their kids.

I have money that I would love to spend at an immersive Star Wars themed area. And I'm not some weirdo dressed in a Chewy costume. I know I'm not alone. From a pure profit driver it is absolutely the best thing they can add in Orlando.

On your point though... yes. The Cantina is an obvious addition. My bar tab at the Mos Eisley Cantina the day it opens (if ever) would be tear worthy. I'd spend even more if I walked outside the Cantina to find myself on Tatooine.

misterID

I understand what you're saying, but there are a ton of things I want for WDW that would be awesome and logical and would make tons of money, but they're as realistic as Disney making an expansive SW land at DHS or a fifth gate at WDW right now.

Could they expand something in the future? Sure... But right now, realistically, adding an Indy ride to MGM/DHS is just about as likely any big SW expansion. What I posted was a best case scenerio, taking Iger and TDO into consideration.

BigThunderMatt

but they're as realistic as Disney making an expansive SW land at DHS or a fifth gate at WDW right now.

They just spent $4.05B to have complete control over the one IP that would pretty much be a guaranteed Potter Swatter if properly executed and you honestly believe they aren't chomping at the bit to use it?

29490510.jpg

For the record, I'm an unabashed fan of WWoHP.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Under state law RCID has to provide a comprehensive development plan. They have and continue to do so.

No, they have to do land, water, and natural resource planning - from a government standpoint of conservation, storm drain management, and other natural resource management issues. Nothing to do with Disney's actual plans. Where you continue to misuse this information is to think this constitutes some near-term roadmap for Disney. The land management is going to be shaped by Disney's vision for the property.. because Disney holds all the cards and they only plan on using it for their own needs. But this does not constitute a 'master plan' for the theme parks. It's about LAND MANAGEMENT.

It's about managing the resources of the LAND within the RCID boundaries. It's about what land is suitable for development and where they will handle water and land management tradeoffs.

Instead of using the info like you should - which would constitute 'what areas are suitable for development within the WDW boundaries'...

you instead are using it to say 'this is the park being built..'

Good information being misused horribly.

Pixiedustmaker

No, they have to do land, water, and natural resource planning - from a government standpoint of conservation, storm drain management, and other natural resource management issues. Nothing to do with Disney's actual plans.

Not true. Future "conservation" will involve the usage of roads and future theme park/resort construction. Obviously, this is what the property is being used for and this is exactly the information provided in the comprehensive plan.

RCID comprehensive plan obviously discusses WDW's growth in terms of guests per year, and where theme parks might be built. This is pertinent information in terms of wise land use and conservation.

Where future theme parks could be built is not exactly top secret proprietary info, and the info about infill development in existing theme parks also not top secret info.

From the report:

Both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom may expand through infill and intensification of previously developed areas. Disney’s Hollywood Studios has a potential expansion area west of the theme park although the area is located across World Drive from the existing attractions. Animal Kingdom has substantial room within its existing boundaries for additional attractions. There are also several undeveloped sites within the District that are large enough for an entirely new theme park. Although Table 2-1 (Maximum Development 2010-2020) allows for development of one major and two minor theme parks there are no plans under review. Approximately 591 acres would be required for these uses.

They talk elsewhere about the possibility of using parking lots for expansion and the construction of parking garages.

Sure, somebody could decide to ripe out LMA and Backlot, but in terms of historical precedent, don't see it happening. Especially since it would cheaper to start on terra nova and build up, rather than reconstructive surgery that would decrease capacity at DHS.

Not saying that Backlot doesn't need to be refreshed. They could take the $100 million they save from demolishing LMA/Backlot, (and from lost guest $ during construction), and upgrade Backlot to something totally new, like a tram tour of a 1930's studios backlot with scenes of Hollywood stars from years past.

http://www.rcid.org/uploads/Future Land Use Element.pdf

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not true. Future "conservation" will involve the usage of roads and future theme park/resort construction. Obviously, this is what the property is being used for and this is exactly the information provided in the comprehensive plan.

*facepalm* I knew you would go right to this. Again, the distinction between land management - and actual plans to implement. Completely different concepts. The plan is about planning out potential future developmental use in support of:
- planning out what areas are suitable
- which areas should be set aside for conservation
- water management
- provide a land use plan to help with transportation and utility planning

You keep confusing this long term planning with evidence that Disney is planning to expand imminently. The existence of these plans in RCID don't prove anything about Disney's near term plans - the plans are maintained, and have been, for decades. The plan represents master planning of land USE - not Disney's ongoing operations. They represent what Disney *COULD* do - not what they *ARE DOING*

NoChesterHester

Anyone that has ever worked in or with land planners know how nebulus long range plans really are. A lot of speculation can be started by a planner with best intentions thinking to himself/herself "this would be a great idea." Means next to nothing in real implementation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom