DHS CARS LAND

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for clearing that up. I see that the maps in that document are dated Nov. 2009, did a similar plan exist prior to the construction of Animal Kingdom? I would be curious to see how that land was classified before the park was built.

Just curious how "untouchable" those massive tracts of lands in reality are. Hypothetically, if Disney really wanted to develop a portion of them, how much of a headache would it be? Or are these areas truly untouchable with current laws?

These things are governed by law - which basically means its up to the law makers - So never say never :) Without doing lots of research into exact classifications and familiarity with FL specific law.. I won't even warrent a guess. And yes, they have had land development plans since the start of the entity. But I am of no place to invest time and effort to look up old generations of plans. Feel free to browse RCID's site and I'm sure you'll find lots to help with your curiosity.

Pixiedustmaker

It's been awhile since I've posted but with the recent acquisition of Lucasfilm, I really hope that WDW opts for an expansion of more "Star Wars" in DHS as opposed to a copy of Cars Land. I know that Cars Land is being heavily considered and rightfully so, it's an incredibly fun and immersive land but I've said it once and I'll say it again, I think it is the crowning jewel of what makes DCA special now and that's where it should stay. No reason to just repeat yourself for east coasters (myself being included). "Star Wars" is a property that is so limitless in scope that the Imagineers could have a field day creating a truly immersive land based on it. Perhaps, in the next few months, more news will trickle out in regards to how "Star Wars''" presence will be added into the parks.

Carsland would definitely pull in new guests into WDW, but so would a Star Wars themed area, in addition to other ideas WDI might have for the massive amount of IP Disney now has: Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar's growing roster of movies.

Lasseter told somebody at an event (I think in Epcot) that he "hopes" that Carsland comes to Florida, (didn't hear any mention of DHS in the post). This was pre-Star Wars, did he know of the deal in the works for months?

Also, Avatarland plans were supposedly strategically leaked by Disney in the week(s) before the Star Wars deal. Did Cameron or his people leak them? Get folks interested in Avatarland so fans don't start salivating for Star Wars over Avatar? (If this hasn't already happend). You got to admit, the pressure is on Cameron, Disney can now say, "take the time you want Jim. We're also looking at Star Wars stuff."

When does Avatar 2 come out again? 2015? Anybody have a big film coming out then like . . . something that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

A thematic problem with Carsland is that DHS relies on the "Hollywood" theme. DHS doesn't have BVS, it has Hollywood, with the Great Movie Ride being one of the key attractions. The backlot tour, and even LMA, fill out this theme. It might mean that they would have to change the name of the park and how it is marketed. Not saying it couldn't be done.

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, would be upset if Disney axed Avatarland . . . one of the few things to make it up to fans in general has already been said, "We buying Star Wars, doing Episodes 7,8,&9, and adding more Star Wars to the parks."

wdwfan4ver

Carsland would definitely pull in new guests into WDW, but so would a Star Wars themed area, in addition to other ideas WDI might have for the massive amount of IP Disney now has: Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar's growing roster of movies.
When in comes to IP, WDI can't use Marvel for Walt Disney World in terms of meet and greets or attractions. Marvel is something that would help Disneyland in terms of attractions and is something that WDW can't have in their parks.

There is legal writing that prevents Disney to put Marvel attractions inside a Walt Disney World theme Park. This not an issue for Disneyland since that issue doesn't exist there. Remember Islands of Adventure has Marvel property and Universal Studios Hollywood didn't have any Marvel attractions at the time Disney acquired Marvel. WIDI can use Star Wars and Pixar for WDW though.

Pixiedustmaker

When in comes to IP, WDI can't use Marvel for Walt Disney World in terms of meet and greets or attractions. Marvel is something that would help Disneyland in terms of attractions and is something that WDW can't have in their parks.

There is legal writing that prevents Disney to put Marvel attractions inside a Walt Disney World theme Park. This not an issue for Disneyland since that issue doesn't exist there. Remember Islands of Adventure has Marvel property and Universal Studios Hollywood didn't have any Marvel attractions at the time Disney acquired Marvel. WIDI can use Star Wars and Pixar for WDW though.

I could see Disney and Universal doing a trade of IP, or other wanted assets, so that Disney could get the rights to build certain Marvel attractions in Orlando. For instance, Iron Man. Uni has the rights to do an Iron Man attraction in Orlando, but I think this means Iron Man from the comics, but not, perhaps, necessarily using the Iron Man Marvel created for the films, IMHO. Obviously, Universal couldn't use Robert Downey Jr.'s likeness for such an attraction. Therefore, such a generic Iron Man attraction probably wouldn't be built, so Uni has a bargaining chip.

I'm just guessing, but I bet some sort of deal could be worked out. Universal and Disney aren't necessarily locked in a zero sum game as folks drawn to one park in Orlando, may well find time to visit the competitor.

menamechris

The heavy hullabaloo from a couple weeks ago sure has died down. Is an expansion still on track? Likely? Did the Lucasfilm acquisition change the thought process? Or... As was speculated before is there too much management uncertainty to push anything forward?

Talks certainly have died down. I think the Lucasfilm acquisition stalled everything. I hate to say it, but I think a DHS expansion has probably gone back on the shelf...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Talks certainly have died down

Based on what? Fan site buzz?

Come on... Fan sites buzz over 'new' - it doesn't matter how insignificant.. if it's new, it gets more eyes. What drives fan site activity is new entropy... if there is nothing new to add to the discussion, it will always die off on its own. Case in point.. Test Track. The lack of available information and new information.. causes that discussion to die. Then a new canopy view.. buzz.. and then that dies down.

I don't know why you'd associate fan attention span with actual business activity levels.

Adam5897

Talks certainly have died down. I think the Lucasfilm acquisition stalled everything. I hate to say it, but I think a DHS expansion has probably gone back on the shelf...

I really hope not because DHS really needs this expansion and everyone knows it. I honostly don't care anymore if it is Carsoand or Lucasland but it needs something GOOD and it needs it soon.

doctornick

Based on what? If Cars Land were coming to DHS and was unaffected by the Lucasfilm acquisition, what aould be different? It's not like we were having a continuous flow of information before the Lucasfilm announcement. It's just an occasional "leak" from an insider then dozens of pages dissecting that. If Cars Land/Pixar Place expansion is still on the books (and I believe it is), we probably won't see any other info for a while (could be weeks or even months) and probably won't see anything official for a long time.

RSoxNo1

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

Also, Avatarland plans were supposedly strategically leaked by Disney in the week(s) before the Star Wars deal. Did Cameron or his people leak them? Get folks interested in Avatarland so fans don't start salivating for Star Wars over Avatar? (If this hasn't already happend). You got to admit, the pressure is on Cameron, Disney can now say, "take the time you want Jim. We're also looking at Star Wars stuff."
I have no reason whatsoever to believe that this was a planned leak.

A thematic problem with Carsland is that DHS relies on the "Hollywood" theme. DHS doesn't have BVS, it has Hollywood, with the Great Movie Ride being one of the key attractions. The backlot tour, and even LMA, fill out this theme. It might mean that they would have to change the name of the park and how it is marketed. Not saying it couldn't be done.

The theme of MGM Studios/Hollywood Studios should be the Hollywood that never was and always will be. That's a vague, but incredibly cool concept. I envision a park where the front half represents the golden age(s) of Hollywood. Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard accomplish this. The back half of the park should be segmented into various studios, but not the real life representation of these studios, but what the fictitious representation of those studios would be. Disney romanticizes/idealizes everything they do. The studios should represent walking into the movie environments. Carsland accomplishes this, and a LucasFilm area can accomplish this as well. The Lucas area can begin with an Indiana Jones section that makes the transition from Echo lake (40s/50s) into the same time period around Indiana Jones. The forests of Indiana Jones can blend into the Forests of Endor and ultimately rockwork for Tattoine could segway into the Carsland section of Pixar Place. Sure, it's a fan boy dream, but conceptually it's logical and continues to fit the dedication plaque.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have no reason whatsoever to believe that this was a planned leak.

This was posted in the Cameron thread after the plans surfaced:

74, your wrong about it being leaked intentionally. I know exactly where this came from and how and when. In fact I'm the sole person for the access to the info. Just saying this was not an intentional leak I know that for a fact. I'm actually a little e off that these prints made it to the Internet because my source could badly get burned and for everyone's sake let's hope that doesn't happen.

He is a pretty creditable source so I have no reason to doubt this.

Mike K

Speaking of Frontierland, I really hope that "The Lone Ranger" does well at the box-office because not only does it look like a ton of fun but I can see that film being used as a great source to give Frontierland some fresh new attractions.

Turtle

Well plastic Sherrif dolls don't either but you have Woody showing his face up stinkin' the joint up.
Yeah but Woody is a cowboy so it fits.. If anything in Cars is going into MK (I hope not) it'd be a single attraction replacing the speedway like @cheezbat said themed to the Piston Cup

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom