courtesy on disney transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when people have their little kids take up a seat rather than sit on a parent's lap.. especially when the bus is packed on a late night trip after a park has just closed. My other pet peave is when someone has a super huge stroller, large bags, or other big items they deem is necessary to take up another seat next to them. As far as giving up seats... I would do it for someone holding a baby, have a super small child, (under 6 or so), or someone older. Other than that, I had to wait for my spot in line and if I have a seat - I'm not exiting it. Anyone who brings their young children to Disney World knows what it will entail. I agree giving up a seat it nice, but nobody forced a mom to bring her infant baby.

I don't have kids, I guess I don't get why anyone would bring 2..3.. or more children who are all under 4 or 5 years old. Yeah, you can get cute pictures, but hauling around 1 or 2 strollers with children who will most likely not remember any of it seems like a lot of work. I would rather have a child who is able to walk and get something out of it. I understand having an older child and bringing a younger one too.. but just bringing all young kids? You nailed your own coffin.

I also cannot stand when people wear their wet poncho in the bus. Often I didn't wear mine, it had quit raining, or I had umbrella and I was treated to a wet seat or having the water drip off of someone's Disney poncho and onto me. My trip to WDW during a tropical storm got me used to wearing a poncho everyday, however, unless it was a monsoon and was obviously not going to let up during our bus ride (or everyone else had them on), I took my poncho off just for courtesy to others who may not have had them.

Enough of the rants.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you want a seat get to the bus earlier or wait till your head of the line. Simple really.

Still the mock indignation of the self righteous, who will almost all be speaking from a perspective that is influenced by their own needs, is most amusing.

You could always drive..........................

Disney05

Yes after a long day at the parks we're exhausted. Sitting in a cool bus is nice. But there's no way I'm going to let a senior citizen or a mother with a small child or holding a baby stand while I'm sitting. I'd be embarrassed if I didn't give up my seat.

disneyfan56

After going yearly to disney for over 15 years, I will honestly say that for me it depends on the situation whether I give up my seat or not.

I agree that if someone definitely wants to sit during the bus ride and waits in line for a bus that has seating, then there is no reason that they should feel guilty for staying seated.

Parents of young children are perfectly capable of also waiting for the next bus for seats. I have visited many times when our children were young and if I felt that we just had to sit, then we would wait for the next bus.

I don't think it is fair to say that someone is rude just because they have waited for a seat and actually want to stay in it.

But I do think it's rude for someone to expect something just because they have children. I never did and when we bring our grandchildren, once we have some :animwink:, we still will not expect or feel that we are "entitled" to a seat because we have children with us.

A question for those of you who feel that not giving up your seat is rude- do you also give up your ADR's to families with young children, the elderly or disabled just because they are also waiting for a meal?

CaptainJackNO

After going yearly to disney for over 15 years, I will honestly say that for me it depends on the situation whether I give up my seat or not.

I agree that if someone definitely wants to sit during the bus ride and waits in line for a bus that has seating, then there is no reason that they should feel guilty for staying seated.

Parents of young children are perfectly capable of also waiting for the next bus for seats. I have visited many times when our children were young and if I felt that we just had to sit, then we would wait for the next bus.

I don't think it is fair to say that someone is rude just because they have waited for a seat and actually want to stay in it.

But I do think it's rude for someone to expect something just because they have children. I never did and when we bring our grandchildren, once we have some :animwink:, we still will not expect or feel that we are "entitled" to a seat because we have children with us.

A question for those of you who feel that not giving up your seat is rude- do you also give up your ADR's to families with young children, the elderly or disabled just because they are also waiting for a meal?
I do not expect this because I have children. My wife and I have been going to Disney World for years, long before we had kids. I always gave my seat to a child standing because, in the event of an accident or hard brake stop, I know I have a much easier time maintaining balance and remaining safe. I don't think anyone expects anything because they have kids. When I was in middle and HIgh school going with my parents, my father and I always offered our seats to standing senior citizens, children, and ladies. It is the way we have been raised.
This is not expectation as I see it. I see this as a matter of courtesy and safety for youngsters. They could wait for the next bus, sure. But, when you have been at the Magic Kingdom or any other park all day, like most of us, you just want to get back to your room. The longest trips from any of the parks is about 20 mins. If I can stand in line for an hour in 95 degree heat to ride Big Thunder or RNRc, I can handle standing on a bus in the air conditioning for another 20 mins. No one HAS to do this, as some do not and will not in the future; however, regardless of this, it is always common courtesy and gentlmanly behavior to offer a seat, whether on a a bus or in a room, to a lady. And, for safety reasons, it is also common courtesy to offer a bus seat to children, ladies, prgnant ladies, and senior citizens. It's a matter of putting others ahead of yourself. It is what used to make this country great. (one of the things, at least.)

Redfoxrunner, I agree about people who have their small children take up a seat. My wife and I always put my son in our lap and slide over so someone else can have a seat. Also, in reference to the strollers, we have brought strollers with us, also, pretty big ones too. What I always did with those is I would sit then slide the stroller between my legs and the back of the seat in front of me. We never take up valuable seating space on a full bus with unnecessary items. In fact, I would argue that placing a small child or stroller in a seat on a full bus with people standing is the rudest thing someone can do. This is worse than not offering a seat to the elderly, children, or pregnant women. So, I agree with you on your points. I have seen this and it urks me too. I still say, however, that we, as Americans, or citizens of the world even, should always strive to put others before us if possible. It just makes the world a better place. Also, I always feel extra courteous when I am at WDW. It just puts me in a mindset like no other place can.

Disney05

For me, the ADR analogy doesn't apply. I look at it as strictly a safety issue. I've stood many times, and not just because I gave up my seat, and when that bus get's rockin and rollin, it get's challenging to hold on. How many times has a sudden stop lurched you forward.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Didnt take time to read through all the posts, but my opinion on the subject matter is that its basically a result of the "entitlement" mentality our culture has slumped into. When someone feels they are entitled to something, common courtesy loses out.

disneyfan56

For me, the ADR analogy doesn't apply. I look at it as strictly a safety issue.

But if Disney is not concerned that standing in a moving bus is a safety issue for quests of any age, physical condition or disability, is it truly an issue?

The point is that we are allowed to have different points of views, and neither is wrong.

kstella

It is very difficult in today's culture to raise a polite, courteous child. I hope that my husband and I have done so, especially by example.

DisneyJunkie

I'm sorry but someone does have to speak up for those who don't choose to stand up and give someone else their seat. There are times when my feet are absolutely killing me (I'm a male in my 30s, in decent shape) and I find no relief until I get on that bus and into a chair. Sure, sometimes the buses (particularly at park's closing) will fill up fast.......but don't expect me to give up my seat. I find that it's just as rude for people to expect that of you just as they feel it's rude to not make the gesture.

Now I have at times, gladly given up my seat to a mother with a small child, or an elderly person.....so I'm not speaking from the point of view of someone who's never politely done so. I'm just saying, you have no right to expect people to move just for you or for anyone else. Sometimes I just can't take another second (let alone 15-20 minutes bus ride) on my feet and am staying put. It's my choice to make, get over it.

stuart

I am more than happy to give up my seat for people with young children or the elderly. And while there has been some debate about those not wanting to stand up, there have been a few times where I have seen people standing looking at someone sitting and / or making a comment to someone they are with that the person sitting should give up their seat. It should not be expected that everyone sitting should give up their seat, you never sure what medical condition for example, a seemingly perfectly able body person will have that means they would rather sit.

Earlier this month we were at the world on a bus there was a boy on the bus who was fine standing I thought and so i kept my seat. However, once the mum gave him a cup of coke I was standing and offering my seat before the first sip of his drink had reached his lips lol. Shouldn't be drinking anyway but a kid, standing, one hand holding on, one hand with a drink...thats just asking for trouble!

Whilst on the subject...other things that i find irritating on buses are:

People on wheelchairs who then get off the wheelchair and take up another one or two seats. This is particuarly frustrating at peak times when the buses are busy, and when they have their own seat then they should leave the bus seats to other guests. I noticed that last year that the drivers have been enforcing a policy that they must stay seated on the wheelchair.

Also, those who are standing and stand with the group / family they are travelling with and not move back when asked. Now i can understand this but for the sake of a short bus ride, it would make things easier for loading the bus if they moved back. It also annoys me those who move back so far but then refuse to move back further allowing more guests on even when there is plenty of space and handrails. These are the same people who then moan when it happens to them when they can't get on as people on the bus won't move back.

Disney05

I have to say, every time I have offered my seat to someone, they have all politely declined, until I insist. So I don't really think people are expecting to have a seat given up for them.

yankspy

"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding". Gandhi

Just some food for thought for all of us.:D

disneyfan56

"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding". Gandhi

Just some food for thought for all of us.:D

Gandhi also said:

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

But what does either quote have to do with this discussion in which no one is being intolerant of other posters viewpoints?

yankspy

Gandhi also said:

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

But what does either quote have to do with this discussion in which no one is being intolerant of other posters viewpoints?
Which is why I said "food for thought" and did not phrase it in absolute terms. :)

As far as no one being intolerant, well i disagree. But who knows, I could be wrong. It would not be the first time.

janoimagine

So you would stand in line an extra 20 min to avoid standing on a bus?:veryconfu Doesn't make sense to me. If you had spent that 20 min on the bus you would probably be back at your hotel.

Exactly. The argument he made just doesn't hold up. Rather making excuses for their general lack of courtesy.

ArielLover

Relax, Ya'll....Just a joke. Of course you can't make a broad generalization based on one goofball comment. Just joking. I love the northeast.Some of my best friends have traveled there.......:lol::wave:

Honestly the joke was not funny. Most racist jokes are done the same way and end the same way..... Some of my best friends are.......

Where you are from has nothing to do with the way you were raised. My parents taught me from an early age to have respect. To this day I would not even think twice about offering my seat to a lady. That is what a gentlemen does. He does not think said lady should have waited for the next bus if she wanted a seat.

I also want to point out that this in 'my choice". If you choose not to stand and offer your seat, that is your right. I have never thought less of a person for not offering their seat but I would think less of myself if I didn't.

Olijimcha

I'm happy to offer my seat to those who need it and when my kids are old enough to hold their own standing on a moving jerky bus they will instructed to give theirs up also.
However, with regards to pulling your kids on your knee to make room, don't automatically think people refuse to do it because they are being rude. You are not allowed to ride in a car like this and for good reason - the thought of my 13 stone frame crushing my 3 year old against the seat in front in the event of an accident is all I need not to have him sit on my knee to make room for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom