courtesy on disney transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousebymarriage

Unless parents teach their children from an early age they will have no clue about what is right or wrong. We have always taught our kids (2 girls - 21 & 14) to give up their seats for those older and those with babies though people would rarely do that for us. My DH has, in the past, told teenagers to give their seats to those older, usually with good results. Both the DH & I are in our 50's and we give up our seats routinely.

Would be nice if the drivers would "remind" people to use some common courtesy.
We do the same with our kids. DD12 and DS8 have been taught from a very early age that they are to give up their seat for someone with and infant or small child, a pregnant woman, disabled individuals and the elderly. Most times I don't have to say anything they just stand up and offer their seat, my Dh and I do as well.

Why am I not surprised this post came from the Northeast? :rolleyes:
People can criticize the south all you want, but you rarely encounter this mentality around here. Sheesh.......This is why I never pull for the New England Patriots....
Here's your sign

For your information I am not originally from the northeast. It does not matter where a person is from. And yes I agree it is a common courtesy and I never said I have never given up my seat or what I won't give up my seat. All I am saying is that it should not be expected of me or of anyone else. If I am spending the day in the parks then I am just as tired as anyone else. Why should I feel guilty for wanting to sit on the ride home? Isn't the whole point of standing in line so you wait your turn to get on the bus? If there are available seats when it is my turn then I am going to take them. If there are not seats available then get off the bus.

And as for the other poster who mentioned about saying thank you for opening doors...yes I say thank you. I do have manners. I am not some selfish brat so please do not make me out to be. All I am trying to say is that people should not have to give up seats they waited in line for. I am sure there are many others who feel the same way as I do yet they will not say anything because certain people on here do not allow others to have opinions which differ from their own.

This mentality is shocking to me. I am in my mid 30's and my girlfriend and I always give up our seats to elderly and/or people with small children. Why should people who got in line first give up their seats to those with greater need's than yours? Simple. It's called manners. Unfortunately this is a growing trend, me first ... others second, it's quite sad and I do feel sorry for the person who posted this. Hopefully others do not treat you as your post would lead me to believe you treat them.

Please do not judge me for having an opinion which differs from yours. Just because I may not agree with people giving up seats for those who could simply wait for another bus does not mean I am a mean or unpolite person. I say my pleases and thank yours. I open doors for other people. Not wanting to give up my seat when I am tired from spending hours in a park does not make me a bad person. It is not hard to wait for another bus. In fact you will be the first in line if you just simply move out of the way while those willing to stand fills the bus.

This mentality is shocking to me. I am in my mid 30's and my girlfriend and I always give up our seats to elderly and/or people with small children. Why should people who got in line first give up their seats to those with greater need's than yours? Simple. It's called manners. Unfortunately this is a growing trend, me first ... others second, it's quite sad and I do feel sorry for the person who posted this. Hopefully others do not treat you as your post would lead me to believe you treat them.

The point my wife was making is this: Some of us aren't in Disney to stand on a bus for half an hour while packed in like sardines, sweating our butts off. We actually wait longer in line to avoid standing, so sadly yes I do not feel the need to give my seat up for someone else. If you don't want to stand, don't get on the full bus, wait for the next one. This notion that I, who waited up to an extra 20 minutes so I wouldn't have to stand on the ride back, should give up my seat and stand because that's courteous seems a little backwards. It's got nothing to do with where you come from or having manners, those who wait longer to be comfortable on the bus deserve to do so.

Mikester71

We always go during our Spring Break (mid March) and stay at Pop Century and the buses are always crazy busy the whole week. My brother and I always give up our seat whenever we can. Heck, even if I am the first one on the bus, I usually head right to the back of the bus but remain standing. Most people seem like they are very appreciative. What gets me though is when someone like my mother in law is also forced to remain standing because some younger, able-bodied person decides they deserve the seat more than her. She is stricken with bad arthritis and can't handle walking or standing for that long. She is a trooper though when we hit up the parks, even with two bad knees. She refuses to get one of those scooters when she clearly could benefit from it because she doesn't want any special treatment. Call me old fashioned, but I think most men should volunteer their seats to a female passenger, unless they have a medical condition or are older.

And I get where you are coming from too jcs4evas1298. There are times when we have waited in line for a bus with hardly anyone else there, and then just as the bus pulls up, a bunch of people make a mad dash for the bus. It always happens to us at DHS it seems. I keep thinking, "alright, it looks like I will FINALLY get to sit down for once", and then just as the bus pulls up, bingo! Oh well...the way I look at it, I am just happy to have someone else do the driving for me the whole trip. Our drive down from Canada takes like 21 hours of being cooped up in a van, so it is a treat to be able to let someone else chauffeur me around for those 10 days!

elizs77

The point my wife was making is this: Some of us aren't in Disney to stand on a bus for half an hour while packed in like sardines, sweating our butts off. We actually wait longer in line to avoid standing, so sadly yes I do not feel the need to give my seat up for someone else. If you don't want to stand, don't get on the full bus, wait for the next one. This notion that I, who waited up to an extra 20 minutes so I wouldn't have to stand on the ride back, should give up my seat and stand because that's courteous seems a little backwards. It's got nothing to do with where you come from or having manners, those who wait longer to be comfortable on the bus deserve to do so.

I understand what you are saying, but are there circumstances where you would give up your seat? I mean, I don't give up my seat willy nilly just because or anything; there's actually a reason such as a person on crutches, an obviously elderly person, pregnant woman, small child, etc. I don't think that's backwards at all. Sometimes, it's just the right thing to do regardless how long I've been waiting, how tired I am, etc. It's not all about me, KWIM? :)

foreverbelle

I am an adult with a mild case of Cerebral Palsy. While I walk, talk and pretty much look like a 'normal' body, the fact is I can't use my right hand and walk with a slight limp. But I always find myself, offering a seat to someone who is far worse off than I am. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't. I don't mind giving it up. While a lot of people see it as a pain to give up their seats. I know how fortunate I am to be able to stand at all. And there are a lot of people that could use the seat more than I could.

elisatonks

I never have a problem getting a seat as my husband uses a wheelchair so i am allowed to get on before everyone else, however i always offer my seat to elderly, pregnant women and those with small children, if they board and need a seat.

So you would stand in line an extra 20 min to avoid standing on a bus?:veryconfu Doesn't make sense to me. If you had spent that 20 min on the bus you would probably be back at your hotel.

So you would stand in line an extra 20 min to avoid standing on a bus?:veryconfu Doesn't make sense to me. If you had spent that 20 min on the bus you would probably be back at your hotel.

Have you ever stood on a disney bus? I would rather stand the extra time in line over being pushed around the bus when the driver applies the brakes. Most disney drivers aren't gentle when it comes to braking.

craz4disney

Ever wonder why crabby, idiot adults go to WDW then get annoyed when a child cries? I just want to go up to them ands say, "you know you are in Disneyworld, Right? You inbecile" If you don't like kids, go to a dude ranch or a shuffle board convention or something. But getting annoyed at kids at WDW is like being angry because you just got on the interstate and there are cars there, not just yours.

My dad actually did say something to the man. he got huffy and got off the bus and on the way out, my father said rather loudly oh thanks for the seat! That was very thoughtful of you!:ROFLOL:

elizs77

I had the same thought!! If I'm THAT tired, incredibly hot, etc., I'm not waiting outside in the heat just so I can sit on the bus. I'd rather deal with the craziness of the bus just to get back to my resort that much sooner.

ParkMan73

I understand your point. This is the inner monologue that runs through my head pretty regularly on the Disney buses. I'm the type that everyone would expect would give his seat (younger, able bodied, etc...). I'm on vacation, why shouldn't I get a chance to sit down when I'm tired at the end of a long day. I waited in line like everyone else - it's not my fault that Disney packs the buses so full.

Once I get on the bus, I look around and see people who have had a tougher time getting around throughout the day than I. They are just as tired as I am - and probably even more. Sure they could have waited for the next bus, called a cab, etc., but they are just as tired if not more so than I and all they want to do it get back to the hotel. So, I get up and offer my seat to someone else.

So, sure, it's not fair that people have to give up their seats on vacation - especially when they are exhausted. I won't fault anyone who doesn't give up their seats - I do understand it. However, for me, it just seems like the right thing for me to do.

CaptainJackNO

Can we not fight the Civil War again. :lol: That is a gross generalization anyway. I am from the northeast and I do give up my seat.

Just playing around, that's all. I am glad you guys won the civil war:lol:. Just a little jab at a goofy comment is all. No hard feelings.:wave:

CaptainJackNO

It's called common courtesy, good manners, having compassion...whatever you want to call it. I'll keep the rest of my opinion to myself :zipit:

Excuse me? Rudeness has nothing to do with someone's geographical location and believe me I can attest to the fact that southerners can be just as rude. I NY born & raised and, if you look at my earlier post you will see that courtesy is a learned attribute, not something you are born with.

Relax, Ya'll....Just a joke. Of course you can't make a broad generalization based on one goofball comment. Just joking. I love the northeast.Some of my best friends have traveled there.......:lol::wave:

justdru

I agree - being from the South I wouldn't think twice to give up my seat for someone who could use it better.

However, sometimes you just have to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and enjoy your vacation. As long as you do the right thing don't let the wrong things matter because they don't have anything to do with you.

You can't change anyone else - regardless of how hard you try - you can only change you. The easiest way to make an impact on someone who is being disrespectful is letting them learn by example and I think you're doing a fine job of that!

CaptainJackNO

I understand your point. This is the inner monologue that runs through my head pretty regularly on the Disney buses. I'm the type that everyone would expect would give his seat (younger, able bodied, etc...). I'm on vacation, why shouldn't I get a chance to sit down when I'm tired at the end of a long day. I waited in line like everyone else - it's not my fault that Disney packs the buses so full.

Once I get on the bus, I look around and see people who have had a tougher time getting around throughout the day than I. They are just as tired as I am - and probably even more. Sure they could have waited for the next bus, called a cab, etc., but they are just as tired if not more so than I and all they want to do it get back to the hotel. So, I get up and offer my seat to someone else.

So, sure, it's not fair that people have to give up their seats on vacation - especially when they are exhausted. I won't fault anyone who doesn't give up their seats - I do understand it. However, for me, it just seems like the right thing for me to do.
Best post in the thread, Parkman.........Your post captured the issue. Welcome to the boards:wave:

mike7904

I go both ways on this one a bit. We don't have any kids but after a full day in the parks I want a seat for the bus ride back to the hotel. My wife and I have on numerous occasions let others go ahead of us if there is only standing room left and have waited for another bus, mostly do this at the Magic Kingdom. Likewise I have given my seat up at times to a small child who is standing with their parents. I think that part of the problem is that so many of these buses have so few seats to begin with and that they then pack them full of people standing. They should limit the number of standees on the busses so that they are not overpacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom