courtesy on disney transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangojim

A few years ago when DS was 8 months old we boarded a very full bus. I was holding him and was shocked at what happened. I stood in front of a family, the parents were probably in mid-30s and son was about 10. The father looked right at me and warned me to hold on the the railing becuase the bus was about to move. I didn't know how to respond. My mind said "what an jerk" but my heart broke that some one could see me (all 5'2" of me) holding a baby and not offer me any of the 3 seats they were sitting in. I've taken the subway in Boston with more politeness than the buses.

Now that being said, this was the one and only time we encountered this. Someone will usually off us a seat for the kids and DH will always stand unless the bus is empty. And I almost cried in proudness in December when 5yo asked me if he could stand with daddy give his seat to a baby.

In his defense, I'm sure his poor footsies were very sore from walking all day and that he was very tired, he may have been a little thirsty as well. You have to understand that standing when you're perfectly healthy is something that humans were not meant to do, just watch Wall-E to see what I mean.

hardcard

"considered polite, and respectful of their condition.. Obviously 2 qualities which you lack.."
I am lacking those qualities? Who are you to talk? You are disrespecting me for having a difference of opinion. There is no reason for you to be rude. Have you ever heard of people having opinions? This is a discussion and if you can not read and contribute your own opinion like an adult then do not bother posting. I share a difference of opinion then most people on these boards but I am not insulting them in anyway so please do not insult me.

I never said I was superior to anyone else. I am not one of those people who see a bus coming and run ahead of everyone else...including those who may be too old to run. I stay with the crowd and get in line with the rest of them. Often I even go and just sit on a bench if I see the line is too long and I wait for it to shorten before entering. I guess this makes me a horrible person.

"But I guess you don't care if they smash into the side windows and lacerate their faces because they couldn't hold on during a sudden stop on the bus..." Is it my fault if they decide to board a bus that is clearly full? They boarded the bus so they are putting themselves at risk. Their decision not mine.

"As a whole, the concept of allowing a child, elderly person or pregnant woman to sit in a seat on a crowded bus is considered polite, and respectful of their condition.. Obviously 2 qualities which you lack.. " If you have read previous posts I have said that I have given up my seat before and yes I would again under certain circumstances. I am saying that people should not be expected too if they do not want to. You decide to get on a bus with or without seats then be prepared to deal with any consequences that may come.

It's not a valid opinion if it goes against accepted moral code.. Sorry! :wave:

Moreover, I have boarded buses many times at WDW and it is not always easy to tell if you'll have a seat or not, until your on the bus.. and as everyone knows... once you are on... you're on... good luck trying to get off..

j_dp456

And we are the superior species?.....As George Carlin said, "And we wonder why a UFO doesn't stop by to say hello."
We'll see how you guys feel when you alpha males have kids.........

Just because I don't feel the need to give up my seat does not make me an Alpha male. If anything the people who feel entitled to a seat think they are better than people.

Also, if it's so unsafe for kids to stand on the bus then why take them on it in the first place? :veryconfu

I will give up my seat if I am not too tired and someone looks like they would appreciate it, but to think less of me just because I wont stand up for you is a little Alpha Male-esque if you ask me.

durangojim

Just because I don't feel the need to give up my seat does not make me an Alpha male. If anything the people who feel entitled to a seat think they are better than people.

Also, if it's so unsafe for kids to stand on the bus then why take them on it in the first place? :veryconfu

I will give up my seat if I am not too tired and someone looks like they would appreciate it, but to think less of me just because I wont stand up for you is a little Alpha Male-esque if you ask me.

I don't think he's asking you to stand up for him, rather he's hoping you would stand for someone who might be a little more in need of a seat. I can understand you feeling tired, but come on, how tired do any of us who are relatively young and healthy at Disney get?

Phonedave

If you have read previous posts I have said that I have given up my seat before and yes I would again under certain circumstances. I am saying that people should not be expected too if they do not want to. You decide to get on a bus with or without seats then be prepared to deal with any consequences that may come.

Thats my point too.

While I do give up my seat all the time (just the kind of guy I am) a person who sees the bus is already standing room only, and then gets on anyway and then EXPECTS a person to give up their seat is also acting with a sense of entitlement.

Thats why it really bugs me when I see people making snide comments and sidelong looks, at people who choose to sit and not give up their seats. If a standee of ANY type thinks that someone should give up their seat for them, then ASK for it politely. Don't just assume the person that is sitting should be REQUIRED to give it up. In fact, they may have a very good reason for having to sit that nobody knows about.

-dave

j_dp456

I don't think he's asking you to stand up for him, rather he's hoping you would stand for someone who might be a little more in need of a seat. I can understand you feeling tired, but come on, how tired do any of us who are relatively young and healthy at Disney get?

I didn't mean him specifically.

But in all the times I've gone to WDW I don't remember seeing someone in crutches (most people go ahead and take advantage of the wheel chair perks) or a pregnant woman (who I would stand for but would also think, "should you really be here?") riding the bus. Personally if I had someone like that in my party I would make sure they were fine with standing or would rent a car or take a taxi.

I think people are forgetting the bus is an OPTION. If getting a seat every time you ride is that important to you you can call a taxi or rent a car. The minute you step on that bus you are taking the chance you may not be able to sit. Don't get on thinking, "I'm sure someone will stand for me?"

I'm not saying I would never stand for someone, but it upsets me that people sometimes feel entitled to it. Giving up a seat is a kind gesture not an expected right.

Phonedave

A few years ago when DS was 8 months old we boarded a very full bus. I was holding him and was shocked at what happened. I stood in front of a family, the parents were probably in mid-30s and son was about 10. The father looked right at me and warned me to hold on the the railing becuase the bus was about to move. I didn't know how to respond. My mind said "what an jerk" but my heart broke that some one could see me (all 5'2" of me) holding a baby and not offer me any of the 3 seats they were sitting in. I've taken the subway in Boston with more politeness than the buses.

Now that being said, this was the one and only time we encountered this. Someone will usually off us a seat for the kids and DH will always stand unless the bus is empty. And I almost cried in proudness in December when 5yo asked me if he could stand with daddy give his seat to a baby.

Next time this happens (if it ever does) ask they if they could give up their seat - nicely. If you said "you know, I am really afraid that I could fall and my child will get hurt, do you think we could have your seat" and the guy says "No" then he is really quite rude. However he may very well have said yes. Or maybe he would have said something like "I have rickets, but maybe you could squeeze in". Just like when people see people in wheelchairs and scooters and they assume they are healthy and just lazy, you never know why that person may be sitting down.

However, in this case I am inclined to think that the entire family is not suffering from some aliment that requires them to sit.

If it was me, I would have offered my seat without you asking, but again, thats just me.

-dave

CaptainJackNO

I don't want you to stand for me, at all. I am a guy, 34, and can handle standing just fine. Also, if you and your gf or wife were to board the same bus as me and I had a seat, I would offer it to your wife or gf, because, as a man, I feel, and was taught that it is gentlmanly to offer your seat to a lady. Of course I am tired, of course it has been a long day; however, I put others ahead of myself. And, it would have nothing to do with someone feeling they are entitled. That does not motivate me. And, that is nothing like me. Everything I have I earned. Bottom line for me is it will not kill me to stand for 20 mins so an elderly person, lady, or child could sit. Heck, I have offered my seat to fathers holding kids before. it's all about knowing there are peopleother than yourself on this earth.
For you to say it has something to do with people having an "entitlement" mentality, is just you trying to justify poor moral and ethical norms. Your behavior, and you are entitled (threw that word in for you) to your opinion, is what I and many people view as selfish. The rule I go by is this, I ask myself when looking at someone standing, would I be more comfortable standing than this person. If I think so, I offer my seat. I always offer my seat to elderly and children. Always. Other than that, I apply my question. That guides it for me. I enjoy helping folks..... I also understand that there are other people on this earth besides me. Nothing wrong with a little courtesy. Sometimes just offering a seat can help make someone's memories of a trip better.

EnchantedRose

Being from NYC, I know very well how rude ppl can be on a bus or train! I've taken these while pregnant...and let me say that I had a huge fight while 7 months pregnant with a lady that pushed me out of the way for a seat that I was NOT going for & that she barely fit in!! The things people will do to get a seat! For the 9 months that I took the train to work everyday, I can honestly say only a handful of ppl offered me their seat & it was appreciated, however I never once thought that ppl should get up for me. I was very capable of standing up....even if i was a bit wobbly!

That being said, I get that everyone on the bus line is tired from all the walking & the heat. However if there is someone that needs a seat, I'll either get up and let hubby hold our son or vice versa and have them sit! I even had parents ask if their son/daughter can share a seat with my son...and that is no problem at all...in fact it entertains a toddler to have a playmate on the bus! I also had plenty of people offer to help me load our stroller onto to the bus! I know everyone is tired, but no one is saying you HAVE to give your seat, we're just saying is a simple little act of kindness that I'm sure the other person appreciated very much. I personally believes in "what goes around, comes around" & I just hope for all the ones that plainly refuse to give up something simple as a seat on a 15 minutes bus ride, that you many NEED to be seated and have NO ONE offer you a seat.

durangojim

but it upsets me that people sometimes feel entitled to it. Giving up a seat is a kind gesture not an expected right.

I agree about that, I don't feel anyone should feel entitled to something like a bus seat, I just don't believe that most people who wouldn't even think about giving up their seat feel entitled to that seat and place their small needs over that of someone else for the only reason of being tired.

corey154

this thread has created some responses eh? LOL...also I'd like to thank everyone in june who gave me their seat when i had my 1 yr old son. much appreciated.

j_dp456

I don't want you to stand for me, at all. I am a guy, 34, and can handle standing just fine. Also, if you and your gf or wife were to board the same bus as me and I had a seat, I would offer it to your wife or gf, because, as a man, I feel, and was taught that it is gentlmanly to offer your seat to a lady. Of course I am tired, of course it has been a long day; however, I put others ahead of myself. And, it would have nothing to do with someone feeling they are entitled. That does not motivate me. And, that is nothing like me. Everything I have I earned. Bottom line for me is it will not kill me to stand for 20 mins so an elderly person, lady, or child could sit. Heck, I have offered my seat to fathers holding kids before. it's all about knowing there are peopleother than yourself on this earth.
For you to say it has something to do with people having an "entitlement" mentality, is just you trying to justify poor moral and ethical norms. Your behavior, and you are entitled (threw that word in for you) to your opinion, is what I and many people view as selfish. The rule I go by is this, I ask myself when looking at someone standing, would I be more comfortable standing than this person. If I think so, I offer my seat. I always offer my seat to elderly and children. Always. Other than that, I apply my question. That guides it for me. I enjoy helping folks..... I also understand that there are other people on this earth besides me. Nothing wrong with a little courtesy. Sometimes just offering a seat can help make someone's memories of a trip better.

I did not mean you specifically.

I also agree with everything you said about standing for people. I have no problem doing it (and do sometimes), but on the other hand it's not the standing person's right to EXPECT people to do it. I just don't like people getting mad at people who don't stand. It's their seat and they don't have to give anything to them.

I agree about that, I don't feel anyone should feel entitled to something like a bus seat, I just don't believe that most people who wouldn't even think about giving up their seat feel entitled to that seat and place their small needs over that of someone else for the only reason of being tired.

I never said I never give up my seat. I give up my seat sometimes too. Again, I just can't stand people walking on a bus when they know they will be uncomfortable standing because they are expecting someone to give up their seat.

Also just putting this out there. I can't stand people who run and try to cut the line. Which reminds of this time when these two boys ran and tried to cut everyone in line and jump on the bus when the driver was closing the wheel chair door. The driver ordered them off and I couldn't help but to laugh as the walked to the back of the line.:lol:

It's not a valid opinion if it goes against accepted moral code.. Sorry! :wave:

Moreover, I have boarded buses many times at WDW and it is not always easy to tell if you'll have a seat or not, until your on the bus.. and as everyone knows... once you are on... you're on... good luck trying to get off..

Any opinion is valid whether you like it or not. I have gotten off buses many times. No one is forcing you to stay on a full bus. I am going to take the high road here and just agree to disagree.

elizs77

WOW. At this point, I can definitely say is I'm glad we're staying at an MK hotel so that we have to deal with buses as little as possible.

Oh, and in response to the one who was asking why pregnant people go to Disney, being pregnant doesn't mean that one has to ban oneself from travel. Back in 2006, we planned a trip to Disney early in the year. I then got pregnant, and we THOUGHT I'd be 5 months pregnant on the trip. Does that mean I shouldn't have gone? That we should have canceled so I wouldn't get strange stares or so people wouldn't think they needed to give me a seat on the bus? And one more thing - I ended up losing the baby, but at least people didn't feel obligated to be nice to me or anything because of my gentle condition.

My point is that just b/c one is pregnant and at Disney, don't sit there and ask "why are you here?" You never know the circumstance, just like how you never know why someone is using a wheelchair at Disney (I had to use one after pinching a nerve at Epcot in my already operated-on knee when I was 16. I'm sure people wondered why I was in one - I looked fine). For all you know, the family has tried for 10 years to have a baby, or the trip was planned well ahead of time, etc. So, just go ahead and be nice and give the lady a few extra minutes that day off of her feet.

j_dp456

WOW. At this point, I can definitely say is I'm glad we're staying at an MK hotel so that we have to deal with buses as little as possible.

Oh, and in response to the one who was asking why pregnant people go to Disney, being pregnant doesn't mean that one has to ban oneself from travel. Back in 2006, we planned a trip to Disney early in the year. I then got pregnant, and we THOUGHT I'd be 5 months pregnant on the trip. Does that mean I shouldn't have gone? That we should have canceled so I wouldn't get strange stares or so people wouldn't think they needed to give me a seat on the bus? And one more thing - I ended up losing the baby, but at least people didn't feel obligated to be nice to me or anything because of my gentle condition.

My point is that just b/c one is pregnant and at Disney, don't sit there and ask "why are you here?" You never know the circumstance, just like how you never know why someone is using a wheelchair at Disney (I had to use one after pinching a nerve at Epcot in my already operated-on knee when I was 16. I'm sure people wondered why I was in one - I looked fine). For all you know, the family has tried for 10 years to have a baby, or the trip was planned well ahead of time, etc. So, just go ahead and be nice and give the lady a few extra minutes that day off of her feet.

:brick:I never said anything about banning pregnant people from the parks. I just think being pregnant and waddling around the parks in 95 degree heat would be really uncomfortable and a little unsafe. I don't care if they go or not.

And :brick::brick:I never said I would never give up my seat, it just bothers me that some people think they are entitled to have people give up their seat. If you choose to take the bus then you are also saying I am okay with the possibility of standing.

I would also like to point out that I DO give up my seat on occasion, but if I do it is a kind gesture not my duty.

disneyfan56

And one more thing - I ended up losing the baby, but at least people didn't feel obligated to be nice to me or anything because of my gentle condition.

Meanwhile, just the simple fact that you can hold during sudden stops much 'better' than the afore mentioned, means that you are at less risk while standing then they are.. But I guess you don't care if they smash into the side windows and lacerate their faces because they couldn't hold on during a sudden stop on the bus...

Wow is right. We have a tie for the most over-the-top use of the emotional card.

Althought I am very sorry for your loss, the use of that loss in an attempt to make your argument is inappropriate.

j_dp456

I love how you use the word waddle like pregnant woman are penguins....
:ROFLOL:I'm sorry I keep on seeing the trailer for that stupid Lindsey Lohan movie on abc family. I guess I got the line about pregnant women waddling stuck in my head.

elizs77

:brick:I never said anything about banning pregnant people from the parks.

I didn't say you said that. I was referencing your questioning of why women go to WDW when they're prego. There's lots of reasons as to why. There's no need for the questions. I didn't accuse you of not giving up your seat - my words were part of the general discussion.

Wow is right. We have a tie for the most over-the-top use of the emotional card.

Althought I am very sorry for your loss, the use of that loss in an attempt to make your argument is inappropriate.

Well, in the spirit of the moral relativism going on in this thread, that's your opinion. I have mine. When I have been prego, I've never felt entitled that anyone be super nice to me, but it's always been very appreciated. With all this talk of entitlement, it's been infurating to read that people figure that if you're at Disney and everyone's tired, you don't HAVE to do the right thing and be nice because you are tired, too. My point was simply that I didn't have to make anyone inconvenienced that particular time, heaven forbid. It was not inappropriate. A little extreme, but not inappropriate. It's my story to discuss.

As a matter of fact, this whole thread is a little extreme at this point. Why not just agree to do the right thing? If no one has a sense of entitlement on either side, then that should be easy. It's not all about you, whether your dying for a seat or dying to sit. I have yet to see where people are suggesting to give up seats willy nilly, just to those who appear to need them more. But what I have seen is a lot of "I waited," "just because...," "why are you here," etc. Just do the right thing. Just do the right thing. Just do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom