COP Closing?

jorgetheviking

I always said that they should bring back (as much as possible) the original world's fair version (within reason) and then use the stage of the unload theater and turn that into a bonus ending...."tomorrow" or "present day" that would be the scene that would change as time needs be.

So..all guests in the years to come get to see the CoP's original show at the world's fair (again, as much replication as possible while still using new AA's, lighting, and sound) and then each generation in the years to come will have their own unique ending showing how far we have come to the present day, or showing us a glimpse into the future.
Why would a show about Progress go back instead of moving forward. I think it should have a renovation, and change the ending to a completely new one.

brkgnews

I know this sounds impossible, but wouldn't it be cool if they moved cop so it was accessible from mainstreet? It could be seen as a piece of history. I think it would be really neat, instead of just getting rid of it.
What eventually became CoP was part of a planned offshoot of Main Street USA at Disneyland, called "Edison Square." It would have featured life in the USA right as the electric lamp was coming into the forefront, and would have been headalined by a walk-through attraction featuring several scenes showing progress based on electricity. That idea gave way to the GE pavilion at the 1964 New York World's Fair, which featured CoP.

[crawls out of NYWF39 bunker]

Of course, back in 1939, at the New York World's Fair, they had an exhibit which two scenes and live actors, contrasting life before and after electricity. We talked briefly about that recently in the World's Fair Group on here.

[crawls back into NYWF39 bunker :lookaroun]

kingslyZISSOU

What eventually became CoP was part of a planned offshoot of Main Street USA at Disneyland, called "Edison Square." It would have featured life in the USA right as the electric lamp was coming into the forefront, and would have been headalined by a walk-through attraction featuring several scenes showing progress based on electricity. That idea gave way to the GE pavilion at the 1964 New York World's Fair, which featured CoP.

Of course, back in 1939, at the New York World's Fair, they had an exhibit which two scenes and live actors, contrasting life before and after electricity. We talked briefly about that recently in the World's Fair Group on here.

Wow. I have heard about Edison square somewhere, but where do you learn this stuff? is there a book or something you would recommend?

Castle Cake Apologist

Is it really Hoverburb? I always assumed it was "Hoverbird" community. Is that written down somewhere that says "burb?" Now I can't wait for blackout to be over so I can listen to it again. We ride it so often, I practically know the script by heart.
-m

Lol, yes... it's HoverBURB.

As in... a suBURB that hovers.

It's in the official script, also... which is kept in the console by the CM at TTA Greeter position.

:)

earningmyfins

No Way!

GASP! They can't do that! Carousel of Progress is one of Walt's classics. I see it 3 times everytime I visit. If it's replaced by an Incredibles ride, Pixar is dead to me!

brkgnews

Wow. I have heard about Edison square somewhere, but where do you learn this stuff? is there a book or something you would recommend?
Immersion therapy. :lol: Edison square was mentioned, I believe, in the Disneyland history books that are on sale there now... I unfortunately can't remember the title off the top of my head. Also if you want to fire up the vehicle, there's a nice display about it in the Disneyland Opera House at the moment. :lol:

The 1939 stuff comes from my own twisted knowledge of that fair through lots of web research, official guidebooks and pamphlets trolled off eBay, and such.

PS: a quick googlin' turned up these guys... a Disney fan-song band?
http://www.edisonsquare.com/
Anybody heard of 'em?
[/thread drift]

JEANYLASER

What if! The Incredibles ride to be in Disney's Hollywood Studios. and Keep open the Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland. What do you think?

Brian Noble

And, actually, if you pay attention to EVERYTHING in Tomorrowland (and I mean EVERYTHING), it's all right there in front of you.
Yep. Back in the day of VMK in-park quests, there was one that had us hunting around for a lot of these little details. It put a whole new spin on TL for us.

dpunky

That would be a mistake for WDW to remove COP. If anything they should be constantly updating this attraction. Walt Disney himself wanted this to remain in the Magic Kingdom.

In the future, there will be superheros and supervillains running around until lawsuits run the superheros underground.

no offense, but there have ALWAYS been attractions in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom that had nothing to do with the future, unless you want to say that "in the future, I might take a vacation to Mexico on Eastern Airlines." :lookaroun

or, "in the future, the kids driving these mini-race cars will be old enough to get a driver's license."

Personally, I hope they put an Incredibles ride in Tomorrowland someday. I think kids would love it.

Id like to see an Incredibles ride too. I think they should tear down whats left of the back lot tour and expand Pixar Place.

EPCOT Explorer

I know this sounds impossible, but wouldn't it be cool if they moved cop so it was accessible from mainstreet? It could be seen as a piece of history. I think it would be really neat, instead of just getting rid of it.
They could,if you want a huge unthemed rotating building in MS.

Knew you were gonna do that!:lol:

What if! The Incredibles ride to be in Disney's Hollywood Studios. and Keep open the Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland. What do you think?
I agree here...Shove all the Pixar stuff into DHS.It's popular and DHS needs is.That way we pump up a half dead park,keep the pixarisation of the other parks to a minimum, and still let WDI go all Pixar happy.
:lookaroun:lol:

Rufus T Firefly

Something tells me you go to DL more than WDW.:lookaroun

You are correct. But, beyond that if COP has to be replaced in the MK, what better place for it to go than DL? COP is a one of a kind attraction overseen by Walt Disney himself and this would be an opportunity for millions of people who will never visit WDW to experience it.

EPCOT Explorer

Hey!Don't be greedy...DL has a ton of stuff that WDW will probally never get!:ROFLOL:

And besides...WDW was Walt's favorite...DL was just the test.
;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom