COP Closing?

Expo_Seeker40

I didn't even know about the CoP during my first visit in 1996, and when I finally went back in 2004...my grandparents who saw it at the world's fair and at WDW in the 70s and 80s rode it with me and it was a very nice to have multiple generations seeing this nostalgic show :eek:

xsupaxmanxsfnex

^I hope you're right about it not being true. This is a must do for our family every trip and will be very sad to see it replaced any time soon.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't like that this rumor is true. COP is a true Disney classic, afterall it was at the 1964's World Fair. It is one of Walt's creations. Disney better not take this ride out. COP is part of Walt's legacy that he left for us to enjoy.

Read a few of the above posts...From what we hear it's gonna be better than ever!
:D:sohappy::D:sohappy::D

jedimaster1227

Wait for the new new Tomorrowland. It`ll be like late `94 all over again ;)

If not better... :animwink:

but will the new new tomorrowland finally have a complete theme...rather than "the future as seen in 1975 while being a future that never was but always will be and adding some pixar characters into it while using unfinished facades and 1970s plastic light fixutures" tomorrowland?

It will be a rethinking on the Tomorrowland we already have. The invasion is set to begin over the next three years and will be completed over the next 5-7 (at the latest, all depending on the economy). Some attractions will stay with minor updates to integrate the Tomorrowland story while others will be removed/replaced in favor of more theme-cohesive attractions. Lets just say that you should Be prepared for a New unifying theme for this tired Land... :drevil:

*giggles like a school girl*

So is this for the 40th too?

Its a hope to have phase 1 completed by that time (with the possibility of at least part of phase 2 done as well), but it all depends on how many projects WDI will be allowed to go forward with under the 40th promotion preparation.

EPCOT Explorer

It will be a rethinking on the Tomorrowland we already have. The invasion is set to begin over the next three years and will be completed over the next 5-7 (at the latest, all depending on the economy). Some attractions will stay with minor updates to integrate the Tomorrowland story while others will be removed/replaced in favor of more theme-cohesive attractions. Lets just say that you should Be prepared for a New unifying theme for this tired Land... :drevil:

Its a hope to have phase 1 completed by that time (with the possibility of at least part of phase 2 done as well), but it all depends on how many projects WDI will be allowed to go forward with under the 40th promotion preparation.

BNL!BNL!
:sohappy:

copcarguyp71

I will probably get thrashed for the following:

Tomorrowland could use a freshening up but it would be nice to keep it in Walt's vision instead of Pixar's merchanising department.

Maybe (just maybe) close COP...move the whole thing over to epcot (not sure where) and expand it so that there are not so many gaps in the chronology and add some technology to it or make it more immersive. It would be nice to see this live forever in the grand tradition of respecting the visionary that was Walt Disney and make it contemporary enough to draw in a whole new crowd to Walt's dynasty and vision.

Too often we are willing to let the past fall by the wayside and I think that is why we have a habit of forgetting where we come from or how hard our ancestors worked to get where our society is today...OK I will climb down off of the soapbox now...discuss among yourselves:animwink:

copcarguyp71

And as for the Incredibles I have to agree that they have little to nothing to do with the future...I see Wall-E in the future for tomorrowland though, like it or not I would take a guess at that happening.

dxwwf3

Wait for the new new Tomorrowland. It`ll be like late `94 all over again ;)

If I could, I believe I would bet every dime that I own AGAINST it being as good as what we saw in 94/95 :lol:

Personally, I just don't see Disney caring as much about a unified theme as they used to. It wasn't just the attractions that made the New Tomorrowland what it was, it was the environment and cohesiveness of the land. And I guess if we get decent attractions out of the land in the future, we should just be happy with that. Asking for a unified theme similar in style to what used to be there might be asking for a little too much.

I mean sure I hope than you and Adam are right about this and that within 10 years Tomorrowland will once again be the crown jewel of the Magic Kingdom, but I really don't see it happening considering there seem to be some major attractions coming down the pipeline first (Star Tours, Imagination, etc.) that by the time they get to Tomorrowland, they won't be able to go all the way with it like they did in the mid 90's.

At least the Monsters Inc attraction is a quality addition. Sure it feels out of place, IMO, but it far from being a disaster. If they can just add something in the SGE spot that people will enjoy and attract crowds, Tomorrowland will be "ok".

Expo_Seeker40

ohhhhh me thinks I see a new preshow for the CoP where aliens and other creatures from the tomorrowland metro retro historical society welcome us to the metro retro theatre Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress :cool:

and guests on space mountain hop aboard space station 75 while boarding calls for those hover burb folk are sounded and some new XS-tech commercials play in the queue :D

chris chris

imo, if a ride were to come in to tommorowland i think it should be meet the robinsons not the incredibles. wat do the incredibles have to do with the futre.

hopefully the won't make all of tommorowland into buy and large. if something had to do with buy and large came to tommorowland make a booth and put walle toys inside. :wave:

Jasonflz

Everytime I go to Tomorrowland I pretend the monsters are really aliens. I miss the Metropolis Science Center and the Interplanetary Convention Center. If we are lucky a new non Disney character attraction will come to replace SGE and Monsters Inc. I would love to see a new Alien Encounter attraction and would love even more to see Timekeeper return but that is probably wishing for WAY to much.

kingslyZISSOU

I think it would be neat if they made the final scene super retro. Instead of making it realistic (which doesn't really fit our tomorrow land) they should make it like... well the Jetsons (but of course, not actually the jetsons).

Could you imagine? "Oh dad, its the year 1988! of course everyone has jet packs" It could be very entertaining, and they wouldn't have to worry about it getting dated all the time.

Or maybe they could make It like the original view of the future? does anyone know what the original ending was like???

Also, I think a buynlarge store would be really cool. I really don't mind Walle coming, I just hope they leave COP.

EPCOT Explorer

I think it would be neat if they made the final scene super retro. Instead of making it realistic (which doesn't really fit our tomorrow land) they should make it like... well the Jetsons (but of course, not actually the jetsons).

Could you imagine? "Oh dad, its the year 1988! of course everyone has jet packs" It could be very entertaining, and they wouldn't have to worry about it getting dated all the time.

Or maybe they could make It like the original view of the future? does anyone know what the original ending was like???

Also, I think a buynlarge store would be really cool. I really don't mind Walle coming, I just hope they leave COP.
It already is super retro....And that's not a good thing.:brick:

Thanks for all of the details, Adam! I have a feeling we're all going to be pleasantly surprised. Do you happen to know if there will be construction going on during the 40th anniversary or will they take a year long hiatus so portions of the park won't be shut off to guest access? I'm hoping the later. It'd be a shame to ruin this magical event by having construction equpiment everywhere an a partial dismantled land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom