COP Closing?

dxwwf3

The MK should be the crown jewel of the Walt Disney World Resort. Unfortunately, until attendance goes down, it will continue to be in the shadows in my mind. When I think of WDW, the MK is far from being the first thing I think about.

MKCP 1985

IMO, that's more important to park operations than "where Walt walked"; after all, he was planning to move to Florida. (Please don't burn me!) :fork: :p :lol:

Why do you think that? From the accounts I've read, he couldn't stand the Florida humidity and didn't think anyone else would want to move there so he was trying to pitch the idea of building a bubble over his EPCOT and pumping in air conditioning for the whole city!

MKCP 1985

Urban Myth #448.... there was no bubble or dome planned over E.P.C.O.T.

One of the Disney Treasures DVDs includes Walt Disney's videotaped presentation of his idea of Epcot and I'll listen to it again if need be, but I recall him saying it would be air conditioned because of the Florida heat and humidity.

:shrug:

Anyway, what proof is there Walt Disney intended to move to Florida? I'd never heard that before.

Animaniac93-98

One of the Disney Treasures DVDs includes Walt Disney's videotaped presentation of his idea of Epcot and I'll listen to it again if need be, but I recall him saying it would be air conditioned because of the Florida heat and humidity.

I believe that was the themed indoor shopping centre (what later became the idea for World Showcase) that would have been enclosed and have air conditioning and many bubbles on it's roof.

I heard there going to make two versions of COP. The original version, to be called the "green" version. And a new "red" version, where it spins at 20 times the current speeed without stopping, to give you the feeling of watching it in space. And of course Stictch would have to be in there somewhere to apparently.

tirian

I believe that was the themed indoor shopping centre (what later became the idea for World Showcase) that would have been enclosed and have air conditioning and many bubbles on it's roof.

Correct. The entire city was never supposed to be covered.

Walt planned for each building in E.P.C.O.T. to be air-conditioned. This was a major undertaking in the 1960s, a decade when very few buildings had central A/C.

MKCP 1985

Urban Myth #448.... there was no bubble or dome planned over E.P.C.O.T.

Anyway, what proof is there Walt Disney intended to move to Florida? I'd never heard that before.

Correct. The entire city was never supposed to be covered.

Walt planned for each building in E.P.C.O.T. to be air-conditioned. This was a major undertaking in the 1960s, a decade when very few buildings had central A/C.

Here's an excerpt from the transcript of Walt Disney's presentation to the Florida legislature, in Walt's own words:

"EPCOT's dynamic urban center will offer the excitement and variety of activities found only in the metropolitan cities: cultural, social, business, and entertainment.

Among its major features will be a cosmopolitan hotel and convention center towering thirty or more stories. Shopping areas where stores and whole streets recreate the character and adventure of places ‘round the world…theaters for dramatic and musical productions…restaurants and a variety of nightlife attractions. And a wide range of office buildings, some containing services required by EPCOT's residents, but most of them designed especially to suit local and regional needs of major corporations.

But most important, this entire fifty acres of city streets and buildings will be completely enclosed. In this climate-controlled environment, shoppers, theatergoers, and people just out for a stroll will enjoy ideal weather conditions, protected day and night from rain, heat and cold, and humidity."

read the entire transcript at http://www.the-original-epcot.com/2008/05/epcot-film.html

That is easy enough to read - FIFTY ACRES completely enclosed. That is huge. True, no bubble or dome is specifically mentioned. It is left to speculation how fifty acres of city streets and buildings in EPCOT's urban center would be enclosed. By including the streets and areas where people would go out for a stroll in the enclosed area, that presents a different image than the concept of simply providing air conditioning to every building.

Personally, I am not willing to describe the notion of a domed ceiling as urban legend.

Spyne

Even though the schedule of when it's open is very random, I don't see Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress closing anytime soon. It was one of Walt's original creations, and I just couldn't see Tomorrowland or the Magic Kingdom at that matter without it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom