COP Closing?

tirian

Wait for the new new Tomorrowland. It`ll be like late `94 all over again ;)

Restaurants, attractions, theming, etc...

Yeah, pretty much.

It's about time the WDC starts treating the MK like its crown jewel again. The refurbs and upcoming attractions will be great.

Remember the "This Old Kingdom" photo essay the Orlando Sentinel did a few years ago? The story covered all the damage at the MK and showed how badly it needed to be restored. The whole thing will seem like a bad dream in upcoming years.

Expo_Seeker40

kingslyZISSOU,

the second ending to the CoP

this was the disneyland version (1967-1973)
nearly identical to the original 1964 ending

it was just mother, father, and rover.....but rather than having a suburban neighborhood as their backdrop they were now at EPCOT, soon to have x-mas dinner while orville and the kids went to pick grandma and grandpa up at the nearby airport.....the grandparents were living at a community for senior citizens.

2zqtxdf.jpg

tirian

Technically, that isn't the original ending, either; that's just the last AA scene. In the World's Fair CoP presentation, Guests rotated into another room where the curtains opened, revealing a pair of escalators that took Guests up to a second level. Here, Guests could view the City of the Future (not yet E.P.C.O.T.)—this was the original "end" to the attraction.

This layout explains why the original CoP show building (now Innoventions in DL) is a two-story structure.

dxwwf3

Yeah, pretty much.

It's about time the WDC starts treating the MK like its crown jewel again. The refurbs and upcoming attractions will be great.

Remember the "This Old Kingdom" photo essay the Orlando Sentinel did a few years ago? The story covered all the damage at the MK and showed how badly it needed to be restored. The whole thing will seem like a bad dream in upcoming years.

That sure would be nice :sohappy:

To me, the MK is my 4th favorite WDW park right now. It could get back to #2 if they put some money and imagination into it.

But to me the bigger question is, When did everyone find out about these wholesale Tomorrowland changes? Has this had the green light for a while? If they knew that this might be coming, then why did they spend the money to put The Laugh Floor into Tomorrowland? This is all sort of catching me off guard.

If the same amount of time, effort, and money is put into Tomorrowland as there was in 94, it really could be amazing again. I'm still not getting any hopes up though.

Expo_Seeker40

the original ending was the AA ending, the 1960s suburban home

then the unload theatre took guests up a speedramp to the two part post show....skydome spectacular and nuclear demontration then exition to the ground floor free-flow medallion city

the disneyland ending was the same scene, just spruced up, with the epcot backdrop

the postshow was the progress city model

Jasonflz

There was originally a different ending planned along with '94 rehab. It looked incredibly more futuristic than the version we got but really reeked of something out of Horizons. I am also becoming highly doubtful that Pixarland will ever be created considering how much Tomorrowland is leaning towards Tomorrowland with the rehabs of SM and CoP.

tirian

That sure would be nice :sohappy:

To me, the MK is my 4th favorite WDW park right now. It could get back to #2 if they put some money and imagination into it.

But to me the bigger question is, When did everyone find out about these wholesale Tomorrowland changes? Has this had the green light for a while? If they knew that this might be coming, then why did they spend the money to put The Laugh Floor into Tomorrowland? This is all sort of catching me off guard.

If the same amount of time, effort, and money is put into Tomorrowland as there was in 94, it really could be amazing again. I'm still not getting any hopes up though.

I think it's still a much better park than DHS and DAK. True, the MK does not yet reach the theming of DAK, but its attraction roster beats all the other parks.

Epcot is the best in Florida. :p

Don't even try to compare MKs internationally: Paris has a gorgeous park and filthy Guest habits, while Tokyo has a decent Kingdom with extremely clean Guests. DL is overrun with locals who think they own everything. You see? Nobody's perfect, so you just have to enjoy it all! :)

tirian

the original ending was the AA ending, the 1960s suburban home

then the unload theatre took guests up a speedramp to the two part post show....skydome spectacular and nuclear demontration then exition to the ground floor free-flow medallion city

the disneyland ending was the same scene, just spruced up, with the epcot backdrop

the postshow was the progress city model

I was being facetious. :p

dxwwf3

I think it's still a much better park than DHS and DAK. True, the MK does not yet reach the theming of DAK, but its attraction roster beats all the other parks.

Quality > Quanity for me. Splash Mountain can carry the park only so much. And after Midway Mania, it's hard to beat the Studios' headliners. I'll take their Big 3 over any other park's Big 3.

Jasonflz

What about Epcot?:( Seriously though, CoP will never be closed because WDW's mid-life crisis is over. I think WDI will start building quality rides from now on. CoP is also a big symbol of Walt himself and I doubt they would mess with that. Further evidence Pixarland is not happening. Thank god. (All they need to do now after CoP and SM are refurbed is get rid of SGE and when the time comes MILF.)

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, pretty much.

Woot Woot!

What about Epcot?:( Seriously though, CoP will never be closed because WDW's mid-life crisis is over. I think WDI will start building quality rides from now on. CoP is also a big symbol of Walt himself and I doubt they would mess with that. Further evidence Pixarland is not happening. Thank god. (All they need to do now after CoP and SM are refurbed is get rid of SGE and when the time comes MILF.)
Good way of putting it...I like.:animwink:

Stitchon

Honestly, is MK really the crown jewel? It shouldn't be. It should be amazing, yes, but it should never be Disneyland-amazing. WDW deserves everything it's getting, but it doesn't deserve to be called the crown jewel of the parks. That honor should always belong to Disneyland. Not MK, not Tokyo, Not Paris. Just Disneyland. Yes, WDW is a huge tourist destination and makes serious $$$ compared to DL, but DL is the only place that has the "Walt" touch. The only one he actually walked in. It's the same reason why COP should stay in WDW. It's one of the only "Walt" touches the park has left. In fact, it's one of the only things keeping Tomorrowland as Tomorrowland instead of Pixarland.

raven

DisneyExpert, thanks for tieing all of the different Tomorrowland attractions together to represent the overall Tomorrowland theme.

Thanks for those descriptions DisneyExpert, they were very interesting. :)

Yes. But why do we need someone to explain it to us? If it made sense to the average guest they wouldn't have to do this. But the average guest doesn't see how they all fit together and it's unlike Disney to just throw attractions together like that without a common bond in people's minds. I guess I still just don't see the "future" part of every Tomorrowland attraction. :shrug:

Jasonflz

Just to clear things up as to how everything in Tomorrowland fits its theme, as a Tomorrowland Ops Cast Member...

Tomorrowland is a space community where aliens, robots, humans, and other intergalactic beings coexist peacefully. It is governed by The League of Planets and is actually a very bustling little town.

Stitch's Great Escape! - The Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention certer is currently being used by the Galactic Federation (a police force dedicated to preserving peace and harmony throughout the galaxy by "protecting the nice from the naughty") as a prisoner teleport center. They took over the facilities from a corporation called XS-Tech in 2004 after a nasty incident resulting in the loss of a life tragically transpired in one of the teleportation chambers. The facility is currently used to bring in prisoners ranging from Level one (common misdemeanors) through level four (extreme high security crimes), where they are held until a cell has been assigned to them, at which point they are teleported outside of Tomorrowland into the Galactic Federation Prison Facilities.

Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor - The Tomorrowland Science Center, across the Avenue Of The Planets from the convention center, is currently housing an open house by a visiting company known as Monsters Incorporated. This outside company has found a way to create extremely efficient energy by harnessing human laughter and has come to Tomorrowland to demonstrate this discovery. By working with technology created by XS-tech in the mid-90's, they transport visitors to their factory in the city of Monstropolis by bringing them through a "teleportation door" (the first and only of its kind). Here, humans are treated to a comedy show by some of the factory's top comedians and shown how their laughter can power an entire city.

Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - This is Tomorrowland's super highway, for those residents who choose to drive motorized vehicles. Most vehicles in Tomorrowland are driven purely for novelty purposes, as the main mode of transportation in the city is the Blue Line. Traffic is always clear here.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority - This is the main mode of travel for the city of Tomorrowland, the Metroliner. The Metroliner features three lines- blue, green, and red. Blue is the most popular and is the only line that humans are allowed to use. They generally board it at the main station at Rockettower Plaza. It makes stops all throughout the city, including Perfect Park Acres (the latest in Hoverburb community) and The Interstellar Hair Salon. The red and green lines are reserved for visiting robots and alien citizens, respectively.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - This is the current headquarters of Star Command, an elite group dedicated to protecting the galaxy. Guests enter as part of a recruiting drive, but soon discover that their help is needed to defeat the Evil Emperor Zurg.

The Carousel of Progress - This is a presentation of an old Earth artifact that was acquired by The Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society and is now being restored and opened for viewing by the curious general public.

The Galaxy Palace Theater - This is Tomorrowland's main entertainment center, and hosts a galaxy of concerts by artists from all over the universe.

Space Mountain - This is another transporation service offered by The Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Citizens needing to travel to far off places may arrange for their personal rocketships to be waiting here for them to board for their trip at the exact moment they are needed.

Astro Orbiter - Also known as The Personal Rocketship Docking Lot. This is where incoming visitors to Tomorrowland are allowed to park their personal rocketships. An intergalactic parking garage, if you will.

There you have it. The all-encompassing theme of Tomorrowland.

Thank you for clearing it up for me. I like SGE and MILF a bit more now and it is interesting to see how everything fits together.

Eyorefan

Yes. But why do we need someone to explain it to us? If it made sense to the average guest they wouldn't have to do this. But the average guest doesn't see how they all fit together and it's unlike Disney to just throw attractions together like that without a common bond in people's minds. I guess I still just don't see the "future" part of every Tomorrowland attraction. :shrug:

Honestly I don't think the average guests care how they all "fit" together. If you are really distressed about it, all you have to do is take a ride on TTA and listen. The announcements clearly talk about Tomorrowland as a city with Aliens walking around it.

Personally, as a "close to average guest" I think it all makes since. Seriously you are in a world of fantasy. Are you going to be THAT picky about the details or just enjoy the rides?

dpunky

I agree. CoP will not close since it's a Disney classic. The best thing for WDW to do is to do a major rehab with both the technology and the storyline

tirian

Honestly, is MK really the crown jewel? It shouldn't be. It should be amazing, yes, but it should never be Disneyland-amazing. WDW deserves everything it's getting, but it doesn't deserve to be called the crown jewel of the parks. That honor should always belong to Disneyland. Not MK, not Tokyo, Not Paris. Just Disneyland. Yes, WDW is a huge tourist destination and makes serious $$$ compared to DL, but DL is the only place that has the "Walt" touch. The only one he actually walked in. It's the same reason why COP should stay in WDW. It's one of the only "Walt" touches the park has left. In fact, it's one of the only things keeping Tomorrowland as Tomorrowland instead of Pixarland.

DL is the original, but the MK gets more Guests. It NEEDS more attractions to absorb crowds, and the maintenance needs to look like a first-rate park.

IMO, that's more important to park operations than "where Walt walked"; after all, he was planning to move to Florida. (Please don't burn me!) :fork: :p :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom