COP Closing?

DisneyGirl1184

Original Poster
Has anyone heard that Carousel of Progress will be closing and replaced with an incredibles themed ride? I really hope that this is not true!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That rumor surfaces every few months. At one time there was some validity to it but I believe that is no longer the case. Of course that could change at any moment.

imamouse

I hope not! My parents first saw the CoP at the NYC world's fair, so we are rather attached to it and visit every time we go to WDW.

kingslyZISSOU

Heres an Idea for WDI! Lets take this old classic that walt disney himself designed, and put it "Under New Management"! than, Stitch could make an appearence! YAY!!!!!!! IT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!:ROFLOL:

Oh wait... they might think i'm serious ...:hurl:

Expo_Seeker40

The CoP isn't going anywhere.............................yet :lookaroun

A few years ago all the theaters were refurbed, as well as the exterior carousel walls were repainted.

There is also a Buzz and sometimes a Stitch Meet n Greet near the ride to attract people to it.

There are suprise fastpasses given for the ride.

There has been some noted touch-ups given to the ride

There was a new retro themed sign installed out front not too long ago

However the CoP is tucked away in a corner of tomorrowland not well traveled.

There is nothing substantial to the east of the CoP with the exception of Space Mtn to the northeast....the galaxy palace theatre to the west of the CoP is hardly used, and there is no other big draw to that area of the park.

The CoP is inside an unremarkable building when compared to the facades from the "new tomorrowland"

It has amazing capacity, and since it can take in over 200 people every 4 minutes, with little to no line, people think it's closed, let alone don't really know what it is.

And yet while some do find it boring or sensless, many on these boards have said that their children enjoy the ride, I was suprised how much my 7 year old cousin enjoyed it in December that he asked to ride it later in the day.

The current version is nothing impressive IMHO. It's very dry, korny, and nothing like the original version or 1975 now is the time version

so here's hoping the ride gets a nice complete refurb and new show that can better reflect its glory days and not have any pixar characters doing the ride. :eek:

I always said that they should bring back (as much as possible) the original world's fair version (within reason) and then use the stage of the unload theater and turn that into a bonus ending...."tomorrow" or "present day" that would be the scene that would change as time needs be.

So..all guests in the years to come get to see the CoP's original show at the world's fair (again, as much replication as possible while still using new AA's, lighting, and sound) and then each generation in the years to come will have their own unique ending showing how far we have come to the present day, or showing us a glimpse into the future.

PLTram

I loved the ride as a 6 year old at the 1964 NY World's Fair, and I still enjoyed it during my last visit a year ago. I hope they never kill it since it seems to always have potential to have the final scene updated.

I wish all the new Disney rides (where are they lately?) had the same level of imagination and magic as this and the other rides did back in '64.

MKCP 1985

What do the incredibles have to do with Tomorrowland?

What do the incredibles have to do with Tomorrowland?

probably about the same as monster comedy clubs.....

In the future, there will be superheros and supervillains running around until lawsuits run the superheros underground.

no offense, but there have ALWAYS been attractions in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom that had nothing to do with the future, unless you want to say that "in the future, I might take a vacation to Mexico on Eastern Airlines." :lookaroun

or, "in the future, the kids driving these mini-race cars will be old enough to get a driver's license."

Personally, I hope they put an Incredibles ride in Tomorrowland someday. I think kids would love it.

djramone

no offense, but there have ALWAYS been attractions in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom that had nothing to do with the future, unless you want to say that "in the future, I might take a vacation to Mexico on Eastern Airlines." :lookaroun

Agreed. The original Tomorrowland (in DL) had a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit... That movie took place in the Victorian era.

Expo_Seeker40

that 20k exhibit was very brief and served only as a holdover until the hall of chemistry was put in its place

however it still doesn't solve the problem of what does a circlevision film have to do with tomorrowland, or is it the idea of the circlevision format that (could still be) new-age and futuristic

let alone If You Had Wings had nothing to do with tomorrow, unless it was Eastern Airlines world conquest that never happened :lookaroun

peoplemover still is clean energy futuristic

rocket jets/astro orbiter is for kids and the young at heart taking off in their own rocket

space mountain I suppose is a space aged base look at the future

never understood the speedway :confused:

autopia is tomorrow's drivers....fenderbending included

perhaps tomorrowland should rather be redone to show "the future as seen throughout the ages" to show a variety of depictions of the future from jules verne, through the space age, to 21st century look at the future

prberk

I always said that they should bring back (as much as possible) the original world's fair version (within reason) and then use the stage of the unload theater and turn that into a bonus ending...."tomorrow" or "present day" that would be the scene that would change as time needs be.

So..all guests in the years to come get to see the CoP's original show at the world's fair (again, as much replication as possible while still using new AA's, lighting, and sound) and then each generation in the years to come will have their own unique ending showing how far we have come to the present day, or showing us a glimpse into the future.

I agree with this basic idea. It has real potential.

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom