Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Jimmy Thick

I think you keep missing the point that the big money is not in gate clicks; it's in hotel stays.

Universal building more attractions and pulling more vacationers into Orlando is actually a good thing for Disney, as long as they stay at WDW hotels.

However, Universal building hotels is bad for WDW. There's no upside to it for Disney.

A family of 4 visiting Universal for a couple of days represents $588 for hopper theme park tickets at Universal.

But them staying 7 nights in a WDW hotel and spending another 4 days at WDW theme parks is just awesome for Disney. Disney reports PRGS of $267/night. That's $1869 for 7 nights plus another 4 days of WDW hopper tickets at $1352.

Remember, WDW charges only $10/day for theme park days 5 and beyond. That family heading up to Universal for 2 days only costs Disney $80 in lost theme park ticket revenue. But if an exciting new attraction at Universal got them to schedule an Orlando vacation in the first place, then it's Disney that actually comes out ahead financially.

Disney is not afraid of losing theme park days. They are afraid of losing the $1869 at the hotel.

The battle is not for theme park attendance; it's for hotel stays.

Gate clicks are just as important as hotel stays.

If a family of 4 stays 2 nights in Florida, and stay both nights at a Universal resort but visit Universal one day and WDW the other, WDW is getting as much if not more money because of the tickets, food, merchandise, etc..All of that stuff adds up well beyond the hotel stay.

Speaking of which, there is absolutely no proof supporting the notion that the new hotel Universal is building will be successful to begin with other than layman's logic with nothing to support such a concept. You can make a reservation just about anytime you want now at their current resorts which should be a barometer for how well a second class value resort could be. I have doubt a value resort without the same perks as a deluxe will be successful. I know I'll never stay there personally.

Disney value resorts are successful for one simple reason. They are Disney, Universal does not have such a reputation.

Jimmy Thick- If you build it...They might come...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If a family of 4 stays 2 nights in Florida, and stay both nights at a Universal resort but visit Universal one day and WDW the other, WDW is getting as much if not more money because of the tickets, food, merchandise, etc..All of that stuff adds up well beyond the hotel stay.
How does that math work? Both parks are getting one day plus food and merch, but Uni is getting two nights of hotel pay.

Jimmy Thick

Once again, certain members can't resist trying to bash Uni and flame the topic instead of holding WDW against its own legacy.

Like a stuck record...

That the problem few understand, WDW's legacy is just fine. The parks have been wonderful all my visits I have ever taken. I have absolutely no desire to nit pick attractions because of a non working effect or burnt out bulb, and feel sorry for people who spend good, hard earned money to do just that. If more people lightened up and enjoyed themselves instead of believing in some non-existent mythical standard that may or may not have existed many many years ago in a different economic time before things became corporate, more people would see the parks for what they really are.

A nice place for a vacation.

If you can't see the obvious in that, then maybe the parks are not for you Iam afraid.

Jimmy Thick- Calling Captain Obvious, Calling Captain Obvious...

Jimmy Thick

I can't wait to see how Jimmy spins this to try to convince people that it has been "value engineered".

Flight of the Hippogriff, value engineered.
Dragon Challenge, very poorly value engineered.

One new ride in Potter, and its ok, its not better than Spider-Man or Mummy in my opinion but the rest of the land is pretty much lacking in creative content. Funny how people like to point out how Disney value engineers things but overlook the fact when Universal just throws a fresh coat of paint on two other attractions that some could make a valid argument were better before the Potter value engineering.

As for phase 2, whats going to be in it, one new ride and a train connecting the parks? That's a little underwhelming and not a huge game changer some like to believe.

Sorry to say.

Jimmy Thick- My opinion of course.

Jimmy Thick

Can I ask why people continously insult Jimmy Thick? I fail to see what he's doing wrong and some people follow him around specifically to insult him. Any insight in this matter would be helpful.

Unfortunately people only seem to notice when Iam critical of Universal. Iam critical because I care deeply about it and want it to live up to the legacy it once had. Why they choose to insult me, is between them and their keyboards.

Jimmy Thick- Keepin' it real!!!

Voice of Disney sanity

How many rooms does Disney have that are unoccupied?
How many does Universal have?

Just because Universal is building a value resort, with value second class perks, does not mean people are going to fill the new resort. It will have guests, but to think its going to run at 100% occupancy is absurd, especially if Disney values resorts don't run 100% occupied all year long.

Another example.

Universal 1800 value rooms. 200 of them are filled. 175 of them also have tickets to WDW because how many people are going to go to Florida and not go to Disney World?

Disney has what 14 thousand value rooms? if 7k of them are filled, how many have tickets to Universal? A few hundred?

Until there is substantial proof people are leaving Disney property and spending significant amounts of cash elsewhere, which everyone wants to believe is happening, I have to safely assume Disney knows things the general public does not. That information by itself, could be nicely stored in a magic band.

Jimmy Thick- Clarifying the obvious, that no one will believe.
Does anyone else think this guy sounds more like Jimmy jones drinking a bunch of koolaid aid than Jimmy thick? Just keep chanting this stuff Jimmy keep chanting it like the disney execs and see where everything stands in Florida in 10 years

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Does anyone else think this guy sounds more like Jimmy jones drinking a bunch of koolaid aid than Jimmy thick? Just keep chanting this stuff Jimmy keep chanting it like the disney execs and see where everything stands in Florida in 10 years
Comparing @Jimmy Thick to a mass murderer is offensive and stupid. Life is more enjoyable without all the drama.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Speaking of which, there is absolutely no proof supporting the notion that the new hotel Universal is building will be successful to begin with other than layman's logic with nothing to support such a concept. You can make a reservation just about anytime you want now at their current resorts which should be a barometer for how well a second class value resort could be. I have doubt a value resort without the same perks as a deluxe will be successful. I know I'll never stay there personally.
Cabana Bay will be successful in the sense that it will be profitable. Universal is simply tapping into an existing value-conscious market that wants to stay onsite at Universal but can't pay the prices of Uni's 3 existing Deluxe hotels.

What can be debated is where does that market stay today. Will Cabana Bay steal business from WDW or will it steal business from local hotels?

As I suggested to you before, my opinion is that Cabana Bay poses a bigger threat to Universal's partner hotels than to WDW.

I could be wrong though. In 2010, WDW's occupancy rate dropped from 87% to 83%. No one, not even Disney, can say for certain why that drop occurred. Was it because Disney offered fewer discounts? (That's my choice. Per Room Guest Spending plummeted 8% in 2009 because of heavy discounts, suggesting occupancy was propped up in 2009 by those discounts.) Was it because of the continued poor economy? Was it because of WWOHP?

Disney should be worried. Unlike Universal building more attractions, there's absolutely no upside for Disney when Universal builds a hotel. It can only hurt WDW's business.

No question, Diagon Alley is the big theme park event in 2014 in central Florida.

No question that Cabana Bay will tap into a market that wants to stay onsite for their visit to see Diagon Alley.

And there's no question that Universal is trying aggressively become its own one-stop vacation destination.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

That the problem few understand, WDW's legacy is just fine. The parks have been wonderful all my visits I have ever taken. I have absolutely no desire to nit pick attractions because of a non working effect or burnt out bulb, and feel sorry for people who spend good, hard earned money to do just that. If more people lightened up and enjoyed themselves instead of believing in some non-existent mythical standard that may or may not have existed many many years ago in a different economic time before things became corporate, more people would see the parks for what they really are.

A nice place for a vacation.

If you can't see the obvious in that, then maybe the parks are not for you Iam afraid.

Jimmy Thick- Calling Captain Obvious, Calling Captain Obvious...

Therein lies the difference in our opinions: if I had a choice of dropping $7000 on a vacation, it would be Europe or the Bahamas instead of Disney.

71jason

Flight of the Hippogriff, value engineered.
Dragon Challenge, very poorly value engineered.

How was Hippogriff "value-engineered"? How was it supposed to be better?

As for Dragon Challenge, it went from an E-ticket and, for many, the top two coasters in Orlando to ""value-engineered" simply because they changed up the queue? (Admittedly, Dueling Dragons had a far superior queue, but it was in the running with PotC for best in Orlando pre-Forbidden Journey/Transformers.)

One new ride in Potter, and its ok, its not better than Spider-Man or Mummy in my opinion but the rest of the land is pretty much lacking in creative content.

Agreed with the first part, actually--Spidey and Mummy remain the better rides. But what about the genius of Olivanders? Down to the dust on the wand boxes... The whimsical window displays? The highly themed stores? The live performances? The train that always has a line for photo ops?

You've been brainwashed by Eisner-era Disney, Jimmy. Theme parks were never intended to be a commando-style "wait in line, ride the ride, exit through the gift shop to buy a T-shirt" experience. God is in the details. Waste baskets that look like the old West or an exotic jungle. $10,000 spires on castles. You should be able to walk through a theme park and have a great time even without going on a ride with failing animatronics and muddy sound. And that is what WWoHP--and really the rest of IoA--is all about.

71 Jason - Would Walt prefer Seuss Landing or Fantasyland???

71jason

As I suggested to you before, my opinion is that Cabana Bay poses a bigger threat to Universal's partner hotels than to WDW.

Heh heh, drive the value down on a couple before you try to buy the land under them perhaps?

Seriously tho, if there is one edge Universal has, it's that they clearly have a plan to become, as you say, a one-stop vacation destination. Buying property, planning attractions/hotels out for the next decade. Meanwhile, TDO can't decide what to do with DTD, can't decide how (or even whether) to fix DHS and EPCOT, can't decide what should go into MK ... all they know is to keep building DVC for the quick cash fix. There's no apparent long-term goals other than maximize stock value so I can cash out in 5 years.

BryceM

How was Hippogriff "value-engineered"? How was it supposed to be better?
He probably wants it enclosed in a dark box, Space Mountain-style, for that "true themed" experience?? (don't get it)

without going on a ride with failing animatronics and muddy sound. And that is what WWoHP--and really the rest of IoA--is all about.
True (love IoA) but... Ripsaw Falls...

71jason

True (love IoA) but... Ripsaw Falls...

I think that area, including the walkway and overlook, perfectly captures the "feel" of a Jay Ward cartoon, the way MSHI suggests a bronze-age Marvel comic. It's not movie-studio accurate like the MK lands, but think of it as theme park design entering its expressionist phase.

BryceM

I think that area, including the walkway and overlook, perfectly captures the "feel" of a Jay Ward cartoon, the way MSHI suggests a bronze-age Marvel comic. It's not movie-studio accurate like the MK lands, but think of it as theme park design entering its expressionist phase.
I like the theming too, especially the outside of the attraction. However the queue and on-ride experience is close to terrible. There are broken animatronics, unfinished show scenes, exposed backstage areas, etc. The queue is filthy and damp... Even a little scary.

My favorite part of Toon Lagoon is Popeye's Sweet Haven. It is one of the few parts of the land that has a distinct style.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom