Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

maxairmike

Flight of the Hippogriff, value engineered.
Dragon Challenge, very poorly value engineered.

One new ride in Potter, and its ok, its not better than Spider-Man or Mummy in my opinion but the rest of the land is pretty much lacking in creative content. Funny how people like to point out how Disney value engineers things but overlook the fact when Universal just throws a fresh coat of paint on two other attractions that some could make a valid argument were better before the Potter value engineering.

As for phase 2, whats going to be in it, one new ride and a train connecting the parks? That's a little underwhelming and not a huge game changer some like to believe.

Sorry to say.

Jimmy Thick- My opinion of course.

To the emphasized: Maybe you'd like to tell me how a hybrid roller coaster/motion base RV using immersive sets with 3D to create impressive depth and effects is normal and every-day ho-hum stuff in the industry when it has never been done before? A ride that has 3 or 4 of the top names in ride and systems design in the industry collaborating to pull it off (not been seen before as well). Or maybe you'd like to talk about how a transportation ride utilizing glasses-less 3D display technology in extremely close quarters to work with several different fields-of-view with motion and distant physical effects is nothing to write home about? Also, a ride/system that has 2 or 3 of the top names collaborating on the system, which is again very rare in this industry.

But no, there's absolutely nothing game changing for the industry that has had insiders and others in the industry buzzing with excitement for the last few years in the Potter expansion. Its all rather underwhelming if you ask anyone who has spent much time in the industry.

EDIT: Maybe you could provide some insight to how the industry gets excited/curious about things by explaining away the continued interest and curiosity over Gravity Group's Timberliner trains, which have been in use for two or three years? No, never heard about something called Timberliners? I thought not.

BryceM

Indeed. Great ride but poor experience. Suffers the Spaceship Earth syndrome.

Which is why it's on the cutting block (but I didn't say that so don't ask)
It would be smart to put it on the cutting block... If it doesn't get a major, major refurb, then it just needs to go. It is embarrassing to Universal.

bhg469

Therein lies the difference in our opinions: if I had a choice of dropping $7000 on a vacation, it would be Europe or the Bahamas instead of Disney.
Hit the nail on the head!! If you're approaching 2 grand for a week and you're not even paying for park tickets yet, you're doing it wrong. A week all inclusive in saint Lucia with unlimited everything was 4k for us last year. The room was really great, it was not a standard room and had a huge balcony. The food was on par with disney previous to their downturn and drinks were plentiful.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To the emphasized: Maybe you'd like to tell me how a hybrid roller coaster/motion base RV using immersive sets with 3D to create impressive depth and effects is normal and every-day ho-hum stuff in the industry when it has never been done before? A ride that has 3 or 4 of the top names in ride and systems design in the industry collaborating to pull it off (not been seen before as well). Or maybe you'd like to talk about how a transportation ride utilizing glasses-less 3D display technology in extremely close quarters to work with several different fields-of-view with motion and distant physical effects is nothing to write home about? Also, a ride/system that has 2 or 3 of the top names collaborating on the system, which is again very rare in this industry.

But no, there's absolutely nothing game changing for the industry that has had insiders and others in the industry buzzing with excitement for the last few years in the Potter expansion. Its all rather underwhelming if you ask anyone who has spent much time in the industry.

EDIT: Maybe you could provide some insight to how the industry gets excited/curious about things by explaining away the continued interest and curiosity over Gravity Group's Timberliner trains, which have been in use for two or three years? No, never heard about something called Timberliners? I thought not.

I save Jimmy the effort of answering.... All the technology is fine but it's wasted on an IP that was just a fad and no one cares about anymore in a second rate park that is just like your your local Six Flags. Just look at Disney's attendance numbers compared to Uni, that tells the whole story.

Jimmy Thick - If you build it, they will come... As long as you are Disney.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Sure wish Disney would consider being aggressive. I'm bored with the 2-3 years of hyping and 3-5 year builds.
The imported pile of dirt for the ground breaking didn't get my juices going but I have to say I was love'n the shovels. Cute.

Telling when I was more impressed with the shovels than Avatar. I'd love Disney to play Chess with Uni.

Jimmy Thick

Cabana Bay will be successful in the sense that it will be profitable. Universal is simply tapping into an existing value-conscious market that wants to stay onsite at Universal but can't pay the prices of Uni's 3 existing Deluxe hotels.

What can be debated is where does that market stay today. Will Cabana Bay steal business from WDW or will it steal business from local hotels?

As I suggested to you before, my opinion is that Cabana Bay poses a bigger threat to Universal's partner hotels than to WDW.

I could be wrong though. In 2010, WDW's occupancy rate dropped from 87% to 83%. No one, not even Disney, can say for certain why that drop occurred. Was it because Disney offered fewer discounts? (That's my choice. Per Rom Guest Spending plummeted 8% in 2009 because of heavy discounts.) Was it because of the continued poor economy? Was it because of WWOHP?

Disney should be worried. Unlike Universal building more attractions, there's absolutely no upside for Disney when Universal builds a hotel. It can only hurt WDW's business.

No question, Diagon Alley is the big theme park event in 2014 in central Florida.

No question that Cabana Bay will tap into a market that wants to stay onsite for their visit to see Diagon Alley.

And there's no question that Universal is trying aggressively become its own one-stop vacation destination.

Disney has been dealing with offshoot hotels since WDW broke ground, I highly doubt just because Universal builds a second class value resort it will make any difference when there are 50 dollar rooms all over central Florida. Its more pie in the sky than direct competition, and I doubt Disney is worried about any of these developments.

If they were, they would have been building more attractions to compensate, they have done nothing, and still have gains in attendance.

Jimmy Thick- How many hotels off Disney are profitable? How many "cheaper" alternatives close down because of being, well, "cheap".

Jimmy Thick

How was Hippogriff "value-engineered"? How was it supposed to be better?

As for Dragon Challenge, it went from an E-ticket and, for many, the top two coasters in Orlando to ""value-engineered" simply because they changed up the queue? (Admittedly, Dueling Dragons had a far superior queue, but it was in the running with PotC for best in Orlando pre-Forbidden Journey/Transformers.)

Agreed with the first part, actually--Spidey and Mummy remain the better rides. But what about the genius of Olivanders? Down to the dust on the wand boxes... The whimsical window displays? The highly themed stores? The live performances? The train that always has a line for photo ops?

You've been brainwashed by Eisner-era Disney, Jimmy. Theme parks were never intended to be a commando-style "wait in line, ride the ride, exit through the gift shop to buy a T-shirt" experience. God is in the details. Waste baskets that look like the old West or an exotic jungle. $10,000 spires on castles. You should be able to walk through a theme park and have a great time even without going on a ride with failing animatronics and muddy sound. And that is what WWoHP--and really the rest of IoA--is all about.

71 Jason - Would Walt prefer Seuss Landing or Fantasyland???

Hippo, Dragon Challenge, are nothing more than cheap, value engineered rides that are nothing more than the same thing they originally were with a Potter coat of paint on them. Maybe Universal's thought was since no one experienced those rides in the first place they wouldn't notice some serious penny pinching going on, I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. Its just a slap in the face of reality how people like to discuss how amazing the extremely small Potter area is, when half of it has been regurgitated from rides from the past.

Whats that saying from the Usual Suspects? The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist, well Universal did exactly the same thing, and the public bought it, when those who knew better, see's it for what it is.

Jimmy Thick- Dueling Dragons queue was amazing, once you think you were near the end, it was still not even half way to the loading area...

draybook

I highly doubt just because Universal builds a SECOND class value resort it will make any difference when there are 50 dollar rooms all over central Florida.

Insert thousands of general photographs of the All-Star resorts or Pop Century resort here...........

Do people on this board actually take this guy seriously? I'd rather take parenting advice from the Octomom than take this guy's word about anything!! Why is he still here when he obviously and blatantly does nothing more than troll and instigate?

Graham9

"Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"?

Provided Universal doesn't start ruining their parks with their own Magic Bands and Fastpasses+ and a useless IT system to back it up with, then I have to say Universal / IoA could be a viable threat to WDW.

Jimmy Thick

Here is some news.

Frankly, I don't care about any of the ride specifics, and I have absolutely no doubt the general public does not care as well. That's for "insiders" or others in the industry to debate and worry about. Outside of these forums, in the real world if you ask 10 people who or what designed the Potter attractions, I doubt any single one of them would know the answer, or even care.

Public opinion in Florida?

Check FJ wait times and then check Toy Story Mania. One is supposedly state of the art, the other was supposedly made on the cheap, and the cheaper one will always trounce it when it comes to wait times.

People can make all the excuses they want, the public is paramount.

Jimmy Thick- Gravy Group?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Disney has been dealing with offshoot hotels since WDW broke ground, I highly doubt just because Universal builds a second class value resort it will make any difference when there are 50 dollar rooms all over central Florida. Its more pie in the sky than direct competition, and I doubt Disney is worried about any of these developments.

If they were, they would have been building more attractions to compensate, they have done nothing, and still have gains in attendance.

Jimmy Thick- How many hotels off Disney are profitable? How many "cheaper" alternatives close down because of being, well, "cheap".

Is the lack of Express Pass the only thing that makes it second-class? Or are Disney's Value resorts third-class? Because Uni's new resort is certainly a far cry better than Disney's Value.
And BTW, Harry Potter, which is in a park with plenty to do, has more than three times the hourly capacity of Midway Mania, which is in a park with three other popular rides.
Either way, I'll take quality over popularity.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Oh I agree. I wouldn't drop 7 grand to go to Disney World unless it was for a wedding.

Jimmy Thick- Then its worth it.

To explain, I'm using the $7000 number because I heard that touted as the average cost for the family of four to have a weeks long vacation at the Walt Disney World resort, including travel costs.

I do not remember the source.of where I heard that....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Do people on this board actually take this guy seriously? I'd rather take parenting advice from the Octomom than take this guy's word about anything!! Why is he still here when he obviously and blatantly does nothing more than troll and instigate?
At least he is contributing to keep this site profitable so others can continue to disagree with him.

Jimmy Thick- putting his money where his mouth is.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is some news.

Frankly, I don't care about any of the ride specifics, and I have absolutely no doubt the general public does not care as well. That's for "insiders" or others in the industry to debate and worry about. Outside of these forums, in the real world if you ask 10 people who or what designed the Potter attractions, I doubt any single one of them would know the answer, or even care.

Check FJ wait times and then check Toy Story Mania. One is supposedly state of the art, the other was supposedly made on the cheap, and the cheaper one will always trounce it when it comes to wait times.

I another thread you said this:

All I have seen from Diagon Alley is one new attraction and a blimp type transport thing. I highly doubt its going to bring in more people than NFL.

I can rest assured numbers will back me up.

Jimmy Thick- Without question.

and in this post you said you don't care about the ride specifics. So you are making a judgment about which is better NFL or Diagon Alley without knowing the details of both. Why do you think anyone should take your opinions seriously?

Tony Perkis

Here is some news.

The general public doesn't care about the specifics of the ride system, but they sure as hell care about the experience those ride system provides. That's unique rides like Spider-Man and Potter are touted by that same general public as two of the best rides in the world.

TSMM has a ride capacity far less than HP. We are talking 1200 riders per hour vs. nearly 3000 for Potter. That's why TSMM's queue is always inflated.

A revolutionary wooden roller coaster design firm that introduced a game changing train design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom