Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

maxairmike

Here is some news.

Frankly, I don't care about any of the ride specifics, and I have absolutely no doubt the general public does not care as well. That's for "insiders" or others in the industry to debate and worry about. Outside of these forums, in the real world if you ask 10 people who or what designed the Potter attractions, I doubt any single one of them would know the answer, or even care.

Public opinion in Florida?

Check FJ wait times and then check Toy Story Mania. One is supposedly state of the art, the other was supposedly made on the cheap, and the cheaper one will always trounce it when it comes to wait times.

People can make all the excuses they want, the public is paramount.

Jimmy Thick- Gravy Group?

You do realize that FJ has a massive hourly throughput, right? Likely at least about 400pph more than TSMM, similar to an omnimover in the number of people it moves. That takes a massive amount of demand to build an hour plus line. Of course, that is ignoring a very, very big reason that TSMM has the demand it has.

Also, whether you want to admit it or not, the two main attractions opening in June are absolutely industry game changers. The average park visitor can recognize it or not, it doesn't change that they are in fact major industry game changers. Do you really think the average Disney guest is thinking "This is going to change the industry!" I can tell you with 100% certainty that the same guests who won't think about the attraction details in Gringotts or the HE aren't thinking that about MM+.

maxairmike - 7 years and counting of direct industry experience.

EDIT:
I see someone else more completely addressed the hourly capacity difference.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Check FJ wait times and then check Toy Story Mania. One is supposedly state of the art, the other was supposedly made on the cheap, and the cheaper one will always trounce it when it comes to wait times.
One -as mentioned earlier-is a continuously loading ride with fantastic throughput. One is not and has its capacity completely trashed by having Fastpass forced upon it when it wasn't designed for it.

You're not always able to twist the answers in your favour.

ParentsOf4

Disney has been dealing with offshoot hotels since WDW broke ground, I highly doubt just because Universal builds a second class value resort it will make any difference when there are 50 dollar rooms all over central Florida.
You want to talk about "second class" hotels. Try WDW's third class motel "Value" Resorts.

Go ahead and book one for $133.00/night this summer.

I can get a better offsite room for $29.95/night.

Or go for an AOA "Value" suite for $365.00/night. That's 565 square feet for 2 motel rooms.

I can get a 945 square foot suite at Disney's Waldorf Astoria (located next to Caribbean Beach) for $349/night and a $100/night resort credit.

Disney's "Value" Resorts are damn motels with really expensive rack rates, really expensive food, really expensive drinks, and really expensive merchandise.

For what they are, Disney's "Value" Resorts are the biggest rip-off in all of Orlando.

Skibum1970

One -as mentioned earlier-is a continuously loading ride with fantastic throughput. One is not and has its capacity completely trashed by having Fastpass forced upon it when it wasn't designed for it.

You're not always able to twist the answers in your favour.

I would also submit that TSMM is in a park with a limited selection of rides. By default, it will be very busy just due to supply/demand. FJ is in a park with a lot of great rides and still holds long lines. That, to me, shows that it is an awesome ride. If the rumors hold, Gringotts is going to be even more popular. I have a feeling that Diagon Alley will have closures due to having too many people in that area for a long time.

Jimmy Thick

I another thread you said this:

and in this post you said you don't care about the ride specifics. So you are making a judgment about which is better NFL or Diagon Alley without knowing the details of both. Why do you think anyone should take your opinions seriously?

Why should I or the general public at large care about the ride specifics of who built an attraction or how its made? I only care about the experience, how it gets to that point is not my call, so its unimportant. And I have absolutely no doubt people going to the parks feel the same way.

The how, ride specifics or what-not, is just another in a long line of excuses people can throw at Disney as an unfounded way to be cheap, nothing more. If you seriously look at it, it just don't matter.

Or it doesn't matter to anyone who actually goes to the parks to get away and enjoy themselves.

Jimmy Thick- Unless its Joe Rodhe, I have a soft spot for his vision.

Jimmy Thick

The general public doesn't care about the specifics of the ride system, but they sure as hell care about the experience those ride system provides. That's unique rides like Spider-Man and Potter are touted by that same general public as two of the best rides in the world.

And Spider-Man went unnoticed by the general public for how long? When IoA was pulling in 5 million visitors and the worst Disney Park was pulling in almost twice that?

* Chuckles *

Jimmy Thick- Best ride in the world? Tower of Terror hands down.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why should I or the general public at large care about the ride specifics of who built an attraction or how its made? I only care about the experience, how it gets to that point is not my call, so its unimportant. And I have absolutely no doubt people going to the parks feel the same way.

The how, ride specifics or what-not, is just another in a long line of excuses people can throw at Disney as an unfounded way to be cheap, nothing more. If you seriously look at it, it just don't matter.

Or it doesn't matter to anyone who actually goes to the parks to get away and enjoy themselves.

Jimmy Thick- Unless its Joe Rodhe, I have a soft spot for his vision.

If you only care about the experience, and that is what you judge a ride by, then how can you criticize something that hasn't even opened yet? You have said NFL is going to be better the Diagon, what criteria are you using to make this judgement?

Jimmy Thick

You do realize that FJ has a massive hourly throughput, right? Likely at least about 400pph more than TSMM, similar to an omnimover in the number of people it moves. That takes a massive amount of demand to build an hour plus line. Of course, that is ignoring a very, very big reason that TSMM has the demand it has.

Also, whether you want to admit it or not, the two main attractions opening in June are absolutely industry game changers. The average park visitor can recognize it or not, it doesn't change that they are in fact major industry game changers. Do you really think the average Disney guest is thinking "This is going to change the industry!" I can tell you with 100% certainty that the same guests who won't think about the attraction details in Gringotts or the HE aren't thinking that about MM+.

maxairmike - 7 years and counting of direct industry experience.

EDIT:
I see someone else more completely addressed the hourly capacity difference.

People are going to paint numbers to cover the areas they want it to divine. I know I will, but I can also vouch the last time I went to Universal, Potter said 30 minute wait and it was only 10, TSMM was a legit 50.

If Potter was such an industry game changer, it would have topped a Disney Park by now, it hasn't. I generally believe some people feel cheated because for what was supposed to be a whole new Potter themed area featured two regurgitated attractions that Universal touted as "new". Who is to say the public will support the two new attractions after being stabbed in the back round one, or in this case, phase one.

People assume too much, or even worse, assume the general public is stupid.

This could be Universal's Waterworld all over again.

Jimmy Thick- Wonder how the Comcast CEO can pep rally that kind of bleeding...

Tony Perkis

And Spider-Man went unnoticed by the general public for how long? When IoA was pulling in 5 million visitors and the worst Disney Park was pulling in almost twice that?

* Chuckles *

Jimmy Thick- Best ride in the world? Tower of Terror hands down.

By this logic, Goofy's Barnstormer is a superior attraction to Dragon's Challenge.

Then again, you don't use logic or reason to back your points.

Jimmy Thick

Because there is always that slight chance that someone new to these boards might think Jimmy know's what he is talking about. Need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Iam offering my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmy Thick- But its a popular opinion, from what I can see.

lazyboy97o

If Potter was such an industry game changer, it would have topped a Disney Park by now, it hasn't. I generally believe some people feel cheated because for what was supposed to be a whole new Potter themed area featured two regurgitated attractions that Universal touted as "new". Who is to say the public will support the two new attractions after being stabbed in the back round one, or in this case, phase one.
Who are these people who feel cheated? The ones that keep going back to Universal Orlando Resort? Or are you suggested all of that growth is one time visits and spending?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom