Chicken Strips Gone from the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think the problem that most parents face is that when they are away from home, they don't have as many options available to feed their children a healthy meal that they will also eat.

At home, I can prepare a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that my son will eat. I have ways of preparing chicken, for example, that are low fat, but that he enjoys. I can't do that at WDW unless I'm willing to search every restaurant to find something here and something there that is close to what he likes.

Many parents find that it makes for a more enjoyable vacation if they just let the kids eat what they want, then go back to a healthy diet at home.

Unless you have gone to a few restaurants in a row trying to find anything your children will eat, you have no idea. Most children just like familiarity. Or else why would they enjoy watching the same DVD 10 times a day, or having you read the same bedtime story every night for a week? When you think about it, they have to absorb more brand new information in a week than the average adult learns in a month, or longer. :lol:

BTW, my daughter was a fussy eater, but is neither overweight nor fussy now. She has travelled all over, and has eaten a wide variety of cuisines.

My son, at 14, is just starting to become open to at least trying most foods.

aleckendyl

Account Suspended
I think the problem that most parents face is that when they are away from home, they don't have as many options available to feed their children a healthy meal that they will also eat.

At home, I can prepare a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that my son will eat. I have ways of preparing chicken, for example, that are low fat, but that he enjoys. I can't do that at WDW unless I'm willing to search every restaurant to find something here and something there that is close to what he likes.

Many parents find that it makes for a more enjoyable vacation if they just let the kids eat what they want, then go back to a healthy diet at home.

Unless you have gone to a few restaurants in a row trying to find anything your children will eat, you have no idea. Most children just like familiarity. Or else why would they enjoy watching the same DVD 10 times a day, or having you read the same bedtime story every night for a week? When you think about it, they have to absorb more brand new information in a week than the average adult learns in a month, or longer. :lol:

BTW, my daughter was a fussy eater, but is neither overweight nor fussy now. She has travelled all over, and has eaten a wide variety of cuisines.

That is a good point.
I've found that picky eaters can usually find something to eat at most of the counter service food places...I.E. Pecos Bills.

Figment82

As someone who is a somewhat picky eater with a diet consisting of mostly chicken (I hate beef or pork) I have to say that the change is not a big deal. I've been eating the nuggets at Cosmic Ray's for the past few months and they are great - I actually prefer them to the strips. Combined with their excellent Eclipse Chips, they are a perfect alternative.

Trust me, I've been eating Disney World chicken strips my entire life - if I can survive the change, so can you!

daliseurat

Yes. Your point is well taken. And I hate to take issue with you at all, as you are the most reasonable human ever around here. We have the same problem. And I have no problem with the occasional unhealthy meal for any child. But I just don't buy into the idea of letting a child dictate their diet, even for a vacation. Especially at WDW where there really are so many choices. If one can't find something else their child will eat, there's something seriously wrong with ones parenting style. I think the issue is that there are a lot of lazy parents who just take the easy way out. I spend a good amount of time reviewing menus to find places to eat where my entire family will eat something more healthy. At least for MOST meals. Is it a pain? Yes. Would it be easier to just let my kid eat junk? Sure would. But we spend a lot of time making sure she eats a balanced diet, and we don't make special meals just for her either. If we let her eat however she wanted it would take weeks to get her back on a decent diet when we get home. I was raised to eat what was put in front of me, so all this letting the child make the rules riles me up. And I was a massively picky eater. But I was never given any options. And in this thread, which is what I'm responding to, are a whole bunch of people who seem to let their kids eat this unhealthy stuff ALL the time. And to be so upset over a thing like a fried chicken strips is disgusting. Sure, be upset that the kids meal choices are sparse. I was. And many places didn't even have nuggets or mac and cheese as an option.

Sorry for the rant, it's pretty off topic. And I don't mean to be singling out anyone in particular. Just the IDEA. Maybe I should start a thread on what WDW should offer on the kids menu that could satisfy both the healthy issue as well as the picky eater issue.

Um, I don't think Disney forces anyone to wait for the parade in the heat and humidity. It just so happens that if you want to see the parade, and be up front along the route, then you'll have to wait. The same goes for the rides and shows.

I cannot think of too many rides or attractions who's line queues are directly in the sun with no canopy or no indoor component to waiting. This is Florida and does get hot and humid. This is out of Disney's control.

As per the buses, I do agree with you there. Disney should be using more environmentally friendly buses. In addition, I really feel sorry for the cast members who have to work the Tomorrowland Speedway.

I still don't see the problem with Disney offering healthier food. So far, the healthier food hasn't resulted in horrible food quality. I haven't eaten anything yet that tastes worse because it contains no trans fats.
Right so lets see if everyone decided it was too hot to watch the parade do you think Disney would not be concerned if no one watched.
I can think of a lot of rides out in the sun. They could add more canopies.
Disney does not care about the CM working at the Indy Speedway
You have no taste buds.

baz212

I agree w/ you completely Mom. DS4 and I are both picky eaters. We eat healthly food, just not stuff found on your average theme park menu. The only green veggie either of us will touch is asparagus. Too expensive for most theme park meals. He does prefer friut to french fries so side dishes will be ok when we go in may for fast food. Vacation is not the time to get into power struggles with your kids about food. That is just going to make everyone miserable, including the diners seated around you. Most vacations are for a week or less. One week of junk food will not kill your kid. Just offer them a combination of something you know they will eat and new or unusual foods. Just please don't force kids to eat. That will cause more weight and eating issues in the long run than pickiness.

ectomstr

don;'t know if this has been mentioned or not but i don't think it's true.

i worked tonight and we had chicken strips to offer. i think it was a trial thing cause we offered the nuggets for a few days as well but have been carrying the strips for the past few days.

Tenny0317

ok honestly i don't understand this. This is terrible, how can they take one of the most popular items off the fast food list! I really am having a very hard time with this news right now. Chicken fingers and Mickey Premium bars are the food reasons I go to Disney! ANd if somebody is pulling our leg I will personally b*tch out this person and I am from NY and you will hear from me! I'm totally beyond upset right now, and I know I know it's just chicken fingers but I like LONG for them and they are a very important part of my trip!

scasta86

The chicken nuggets are still fried breaded batter, and it's basically the same amount that is served. I don't think the focus is on healthier options (fries are still the side dish), it seems more like a cost controlling measure....Which eventually will end up costing Disney more patrons who would be willing to be on the Dining Plan. Hopefully they will realize this and bring back something that many of us have enjoyed at WDW over the years.

Tom Morrow

Man, I love chicken strips, and the ones at Columbia Harbor House specifically were my absolute favorite. I know, they're the same strips across property, but something about the Columbia Harbor House made them taste better. It might have been all in my head, though.

I really hope the new ones taste the same.

Minnesota

Wow, 7 pages on chicken strips. I guess I understand all these points but I try to have our family eat pretty healthy all the time except on vacation. It is my time to not worry about salt, sugar, fat, or exercise. That is part of the fun of vaction. No cooking. For 7 days or so blow off the low salt menu. But we also only go 1 time everyother year. Give everyone choices I agree. That way if I want to go off the salt free wagon it's my own fault if I swell up like a balloon. If I gain 10 lbs off fat it's my own fault also.

Nemo14

I had the nuggets Thursday night at the erestaurant outside of the American Adventure. They were OK but definitely not as good as the strips. I'll probably survive though....

Lexxweb

As of this past saturday night, Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland was serving nuggets over strips.
By the way, Harbor House has officially lost all value to me. Also, what is up with that taco place in Adventureland never being open (yes, I forgot the name) it's either closed or has select hours. The food there is great! Why is it closed so much?

:cool: Lexxweb

tigsmom

Wow! So many pages since I went to bed last night! :lol:

I haven't gone back to re read everything so forgive me if its already been mentioned, BUT did anybody take into account that the price of food has skyrocketed lately? This may just be an economic issue - chicken nuggets, which are usually a blend of dark and light meats are less expensive to buy that all white meat chicken strips? They have just as much sodium and there may be a slight fat content difference due to the use of the dark meat. They also use less chicken to prepare than the strips and again that will save money. I'm sure WDW will charge just as much for them, but they will cost less to supply. :shrug:

And like The Mom said, its what kids are used to. At table service restaurants my kids will order seafood, veggies and salads or steaks or baked chicken, but at a counter service place (which means a quick meal" its all about the chicken strips. :lol: Fries are best, but they will eat fruit or carrot sticks with them too. And lets face it...they taste good! :slurp:

goofyfan13

All I gotta say though, is they better not touch my chicken wrap at Peco's Bill's, or there'll be hell to pay!

dixiegirl

Ok we need pics.....Yes odd but true anyone have new pics of the nuggets to compare with the old strips????? See I knew something was up when we were there in Jan of this year and could'nt find a ice cream sandwich anywhere(which yes was talked about in many other threads) also the turkey legs that I love tasted a bit weird.....I don't know, when I'm vacation Its one of the few times that the word "diet " is thrown out the window!!!!! I look forward to the full fat popcorn , fries, icecream at and yes regular coke, which is oh sooo good with popcorn!!! I know many others (from easdropping on the bus rides) still eat healthy and all at disney alll I can say is God Bless ya!!!! To me we walk enough to burn off what we eat. So while it is good disney has tweaked the menu quite a bit I agree with the others can't they just have both????? Oh well I quess i should have realized things were changing with the food when back in 2001 at POR they took the chocolate covered crossants off the menu...Yeah good stuff , helluva way to start the day!!! Oh and my beloved cheese and fruit platter served at POR as well, gone as well ( well they have a new distributer, which is horrible)..

RIP Chicken Strips we'LL miss you......god whats next, the popcorn:eek::eek:

DisneyCane

This is a big deal to me and the wife as well. All we ever used to eat when we were there was chicken strips and fries. We unfortunately experienced the changeover a couple of months ago at cosmic rays. The nuggets that we had that day (I can't comment for sure on what is there now) WERE NOT the same as chicken strips. The strips are unprocessed and are just strips of actual chicken breast breadded and fried. The nuggets are ground up meat and made into nugget shapes. The consistency of the meat is different and they tasted disgusting to us.

We originally thought they just changed over Cosmic Rays because the next few times we were able to get strips at Columbia Harbor house. We were there on 2/17 and went to CHS to be very dissapointed that they had switched to nuggets also.

This can't be anything more than a cost issue. I'd like to plead with whoever makes these decisions. Please either switch back and charge more or offer both and charge more for the strips. Many of us will pay more for the higher quality strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom