Chicken Strips Gone from the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrcollectibles

Well, I was at MGM yesterday and I had some. I guess they still have it on their menu over there, but if they are getting rid of the chicken strips that's a shame I always get the chicken strips every time I eat at Disney.

You were at MGM(where is that ) and ate chicken strips (which are now gone) wow MGM is the twlight zone.. Just having some good natured fun

daliseurat

I think Tigsmom has the right reason for the change. It's not about providing a healther menu but a cheaper one for the same price. After all you can still get French Fries or a Bacon Cheese Burger. The BCB has enough grease in it to fry an order of chicken strips. Look back at the changes mgt has made in the last 12 months, changes in the room rates, less AP discounted room nights. WDW's increase in park attendence has allowed mgt to slowly increase prices across the board.

And saying that nuggets are the same as strips is so wrong. That's like saying that a burger at BK is the sames as one at Sonic or MacD's or Wendy's. And saying you can still get strips elsewhere, remember you have to be elsewhere to get them now & not at WDW.

For me & my family, the chicken strips were as much of a part of WDW as CoP or SM or any other ride/attraction. They were part of what we go to WDW for.

Nuggets and strips are definitely DIFFERENT. If WDW is making a smaller strip they really shouldn't label it a nugget.

You are exaggerating, right? Chicken Strips aren't REALLY a reason to go to WDW the same as an attraction. Right? Right?

shoppingnut

They keep increasing the reasons for people to go and eat off property. Many kids will know the difference instantly and that will cause problems for the parents.

I'm totally bummed about the mac n cheese, low-fat is just plain gross. Their CS menu's for me totally stink on a good day, as I'm such a picky eater and always have been, there isn't much for me to eat, so guess I'll have to eat two orders of figaro fries or cake from the bakery instead. I don't know where to even get a PBJ sandwich anymore either. Why do I need to be forced to eat healthy, it just makes me want to eat bad food instead. There should be a choice of both.

Phonedave

I think the problem that most parents face is that when they are away from home, they don't have as many options available to feed their children a healthy meal that they will also eat.

At home, I can prepare a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that my son will eat. I have ways of preparing chicken, for example, that are low fat, but that he enjoys. I can't do that at WDW unless I'm willing to search every restaurant to find something here and something there that is close to what he likes.

Many parents find that it makes for a more enjoyable vacation if they just let the kids eat what they want, then go back to a healthy diet at home.

Unless you have gone to a few restaurants in a row trying to find anything your children will eat, you have no idea. Most children just like familiarity. Or else why would they enjoy watching the same DVD 10 times a day, or having you read the same bedtime story every night for a week? When you think about it, they have to absorb more brand new information in a week than the average adult learns in a month, or longer. :lol:

BTW, my daughter was a fussy eater, but is neither overweight nor fussy now. She has travelled all over, and has eaten a wide variety of cuisines.

My son, at 14, is just starting to become open to at least trying most foods.

Hunger is the best sauce.

Not being flip :)

My 6 and 9 year old do have some things they do not like. My 6 year old can at times be downright stubborn. However, when presented with "these are the options on the menu, and thats all they have" she can usualy find something that she will eat. It may not be her favorite, shy may have much rather had fries, or *eck* nuggets, but what ever she has choosen is at least palatable. I also love the look of deliemma when she tries somthing that she has declared "looks yucky" and realized it is good. She gets this look of defeat on her face and then mutters "fine, its good" :)

-dave

raven

My roomie won't eat anywhere on the property unless there are chicken strips since that's all he eats, not nuggets. Now that they are gone he's going to start bringing his own food.

And speaking of reducing trans fat, how about those greasy hamburgers?

mep517

Disney Chicken Strips are one of my very favorite things about the World. I look forward to them!! Not since the closing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has there been so much Disney sadness at the MEP517 house. It is a dark Disney day :cry:

So it seems like everyone who has had them says they are the exact same thing as the old strip, just smaller

Could it be that SYSCO changed the strips and not disney. Its the exact same thing taste and texture wise but smaller. However, they decided to call them nuggets

The problem is with the use of the word "nugget" which suggests what you would get from a fast food restaurant of freezer of the supermarket. Nuggets are implied as being pressed rib and white meat instead of a whole piece of white meat.

So it seems that Disney (either by choice or because of SYSCO) is offering the new, smaller "strips" that reportedly taste EXACTLY the same. HOWEVER, the use of the word nugget is causing quite an uproar. Maybe they should just use "mini chicken strips" to avoid the confusion.

P.S.- I am just trying to summarize what I have read and heard. I'll see when i have them in person next time I'm there. I have heard though, on Inside the Magic, that they contain too much breading, so for the money you are getting less chicken

shoppingnut

Hunger is the best sauce.

Not being flip :)

My 6 and 9 year old do have some things they do not like. My 6 year old can at times be downright stubborn. However, when presented with "these are the options on the menu, and thats all they have" she can usualy find something that she will eat. It may not be her favorite, shy may have much rather had fries, or *eck* nuggets, but what ever she has choosen is at least palatable. I also love the look of deliemma when she tries somthing that she has declared "looks yucky" and realized it is good. She gets this look of defeat on her face and then mutters "fine, its good" :)

-dave

You never encountered a child like me because when I was little I would have starved myself rather than eat something I didn't like and there was no bargaining with me about having dessert because I would have said "I didn't want it anyway."

baz212

You never encountered a child like me because when I was little I would have starved myself rather than eat something I didn't like and there was no bargaining with me about having dessert because I would have said "I didn't want it anyway."
:ROFLOL:I was the exact same way. Still am actually. I have very sensitive taste buds. I can't handle anything spicy, not even black table pepper, or my mouth feels like it's on fire. I also can't stand chicken nuggets except at Wendy's. I refuse to eat dark meat chicken or turkey.

mouselvrmom

That's my daughter. She is almost skeletal, and hates almost everything. She will rather starve than eat something she deems disgusting. And will cry if I try to force her to eat things. However, she can eat 10 chicken nuggets at mcdonalds. :lol:

She has always had a hard time gaining weight and as a baby would put on a few pounds, then get sick and not eat for a couple days and the weight was all gone again. I'm trying to make her have a regular eating routine, but I still do have a little bit different rules with her than the other kids. If she says she's hungry I feel bad making her wait until dinner.

shoppingnut

That's my daughter. She is almost skeletal, and hates almost everything. She will rather starve than eat something she deems disgusting. And will cry if I try to force her to eat things. However, she can eat 10 chicken nuggets at mcdonalds. :lol:

She has always had a hard time gaining weight and as a baby would put on a few pounds, then get sick and not eat for a couple days and the weight was all gone again. I'm trying to make her have a regular eating routine, but I still do have a little bit different rules with her than the other kids. If she says she's hungry I feel bad making her wait until dinner.

When I was little because I would only eat one thing and only at a certain time, my mom would cook me little baby lamb chops at 4p. My great grandma was a great believer is if a child is hungry, you feed them.

mouselvrmom

When I was little because I would only eat one thing and only at a certain time, my mom would cook me little baby lamb chops at 4p. My great grandma was a great believer is if a child is hungry, you feed them.

There are just certain children that you have to feed when they are hungry. They can't handle regular structured eating for one reason or another. I make her try what we are eating and if she absolutely can't eat it or is sobbing so hard that I know eating will be impossible for her, she can make herself a sandwich.

righttrack

I imagine that if the portion size is the same, a reason for the nuggets is cooking time. I'm sure they cook faster, and probably match the cooking time of the fish for the combo fish/chicken meal.

Scooter

First of all let me say this...I absolutely LOVE the Chicken strips that Disney offered and will really miss them if this is true.

Getting chicken strips was always the first thing my family would do after checking into our resort. It has become a tradition for us for the past 20 years. So it IS in fact a BIG DEAL for some people.

While I can hardly stand Disney World french fries, the strips were another thing altogether. They were 100% pure Chicken breast meat with a delicious crusty coating. Crunchy on the outside, but tender and juicy on the inside.
While we can buy something similiar where we live, the chicken strips available here just don't seem to measure up to the ones we get at Disney World. Sure, it may be our imaginations, but that doesn't matter, because eating Disney's Chicken strips are actually PART of the Magic of Disney to my family and I.

Secondly, I don't think anyone here has the right to judge people about how they are raising or what they are feeding their children. If I want to feed my kids Mac and Cheese and/or Chicken Strips at every meal while at Disney World, well, while I know it isn't right, or nutritious, it is MY business.

On our next trip, we will try these "chicken nuggets" and if they are just nasty McNugget knock offs, instead of just smaller versions of the Coated 100% Chicken breast meat tenders that we have come to Love over the years, I will not only stop by Guest Relations and complain, I will also write letters and send emails to Disney management letting us know exactly how unhappy we are about the change.

Am I serious?, your darn right I am, Because To our family, it's that big of a Deal.

And appparently it is to a LOT of other people. 10+ pages of unhappy people on these pages certainly spells out something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom