Characters in Flight opens Spring 2009 (with pics!)

EpcotServo

That's an insipid paint job — one of the blandest things I've ever seen...anywhere. On any planet. I thought that this balloon would at least add another splash of color to the Downtown Disney skyline, but the design is lacking in almost every aspect. The yellow-red-black deal may be inspired by Mickey Mouse's primary coloration, but I cannot believe that the entire balloon is only yellow, red, and black in that post-modern design which is on the docket to be outdated within a few years. I thought perhaps the design would be rendered in an Art Nouveau style, or some other style which would ensure liberal use of color and form. But what we actually got was entirely unexpected.

The problem is that the colors have been ported directly from DLP.

They should've read John Hench's book, From Disneyland, Disney World, and Tokyo, EVERY sky is different and you need to use the according colors that work with the Environment.

TakeMeThere81

Anyone have any pictures from the top of summit plummit?
THANKS!

I'm guessing unless you are a CM, that would be an expensive picture(considering your camera would probably get ruined on the way down)

I think its an interesting idea, not bad!! I like DLRP design better also, though.

raven

Testing has begun. I spotted the balloon high in the air from Epcot Center Drive and I4 this morning at 7:30AM.

wdwjmp239

Wow! A 22mph wind grounds this attraction. That is a light breeze most places.

In Naples, FL (where I'm from), we had sustained winds 25 mph (with gusts to 30) and it was enough to knock you around and kick sand in your face. So to me, at least, that would be no surprise if at 22 mph they would ground it.

Consider this - if the wind is 22 mph at the ground level - it's going to be a smidge windier when you get up high.

And storm conditions - well, that goes without saying.

For those that ride this - don't be disappointed if they ground it when there's a thunderstorm nearby. Even though we're still in our "dry season" now, in a couple of months, we'll be back in our summer afternoon thunderstorm patterns.

ofquietstars

Just got back from Downtown Disney. Not open yet. Wall is still up around it and there's people still working on it here and there so... :shrug:

In Naples, FL (where I'm from), we had sustained winds 25 mph (with gusts to 30) and it was enough to knock you around and kick sand in your face. So to me, at least, that would be no surprise if at 22 mph they would ground it.

Consider this - if the wind is 22 mph at the ground level - it's going to be a smidge windier when you get up high.

And storm conditions - well, that goes without saying.

For those that ride this - don't be disappointed if they ground it when there's a thunderstorm nearby. Even though we're still in our "dry season" now, in a couple of months, we'll be back in our summer afternoon thunderstorm patterns.

That is a good point. I am used to the sustained winds of 45+mph in my area. So I guess it sounded like a small thing, but 22mph is a lot especially considering the type of attraction this is. I actually think this is a positive addition to Downtown Disney. I am sure it will help draw people to the area. I will have to try this attraction next time I am in WDW.

tecowdw

Just got back from the World.
CIF was not open but it tested quite a few times the past 4 or 5 days. Discovered that the balloon is lit at night. Very nice and would love to see it up high at dark!

This morning two workers were standing on top of the balloon - literally! I was shocked to look out my window at SSR and see that! About 10-15 minutes later I saw them repel down the lake side of the balloon! Don't know why the heck they were up there but they should get hazard pay!
:eek:

tecowdw

Seems kind of pricey though. $16/adult for a tethered balloon ride? I think $8 range would have been more reasonable.
At these prices, a family of four (two adults, two children) would be $52 for a six minute ride??

WDWFREAK53

Just got back from the World.
CIF was not open but it tested quite a few times the past 4 or 5 days. Discovered that the balloon is lit at night. Very nice and would love to see it up high at dark!

This morning two workers were standing on top of the balloon - literally! I was shocked to look out my window at SSR and see that! About 10-15 minutes later I saw them repel down the lake side of the balloon! Don't know why the heck they were up there but they should get hazard pay!

Must've looked like Mickey on top of SSE :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Update: I heard late yesterday that the tentative launch date is April 10 (weather permitting).

Thanks. Not surprised. The weather has been bad all week and doesnt look great for the next week. Gusty winds, storms and lightning. LOL not great for balloon testing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom