Characters in Flight opens Spring 2009 (with pics!)

tecowdw

Thanks. Not surprised. The weather has been bad all week and doesnt look great for the next week. Gusty winds, storms and lightning. LOL not great for balloon testing!

Seems like there would be alot of questionable flight days in Florida. Did I read that winds over 3 mph begin the stages of reduced flights? How often is the wind that calm? And afternoon thunderstorms aren't rare in central FL!

bhealthy

I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. The Philadelphia Zoo has a balloon like this. It goes up 400 ft. and it lasts about 10 minutes. Their cost is $15 a person and $50 for a family of four. I did once a few years ago. Nice view, interesting what you can see that far and some nice pix. Nice to do once maybe twice (once during day and once at night), but that's about it. Not many repeat vistors, but at least it's something different.

jt04

Space Shuttle Building

I have been wondering about this since the ride was announced but did not bring this possibility up as I did not want to get singed. But now word comes from another blog that, on a clear day, you can see the VAB building at Cape Canaveral from the balloon. Obviously this means you can see a very very long way. Exciting! I really can't wait to ride!

"To infinity and beyond!".............kinda.:animwink:

sillyspook13

I have been wondering about this since the ride was announced but did not bring this possibility up as I did not want to get singed. But now word comes from another blog that, on a clear day, you can see the VAB building at Cape Canaveral from the balloon. Obviously this means you can see a very very long way. Exciting! I really can't wait to ride!

"To infinity and beyond!".............kinda.:animwink:

You can't see it from the sky needle at Sea World, which claims to go up 400 feet.:shrug:

wdwjmp239

Update: I heard late yesterday that the tentative launch date is April 10 (weather permitting).

Friday, April 10th, the weather for Lake Buena Vista/Orlando is looking good. According to NOAA, here's the weather for the area on 4/10/09:

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 84. South wind around 5 mph.

Take pictures everyone! =)

wdwjmp239

And afternoon thunderstorms aren't rare in central FL!

You're correct! Afternoon thunderstorms AREN'T rare in central florida. They're more numerous when you get south of I-4, though.

During a t-storm in Florida, your best bet is to get inside and stay there until you start seeing breaks in the clouds and stop hearing thunder. If you can hear thunder, more than likely lightning is nearby.

jt04

You're correct! Afternoon thunderstorms AREN'T rare in central florida. They're more numerous when you get south of I-4, though.

During a t-storm in Florida, your best bet is to get inside and stay there until you start seeing breaks in the clouds and stop hearing thunder. If you can hear thunder, more than likely lightning is nearby.

They are this time of year. Mostly a June through September thing. Of course they can happen any day of the year but the daily ritual usually only occurs in the summer.

wdwjmp239

They are this time of year. Mostly a June through September thing. Of course they can happen any day of the year but the daily ritual usually only occurs in the summer.

I know that. I live in Naples, FL (been down here for the past 20-something years). I'm just saying that during the afternoon, the thunderstorms get pretty wild. :)

Jasonflz

I know that. I live in Naples, FL (been down here for the past 20-something years). I'm just saying that during the afternoon, the thunderstorms get pretty wild. :)

:eek: I live there too! I once had a lighting bolt shoot past me by about 20 ft. Killed a nice banana tree.

DisneyDellsDude

Excellent, another Downtown Disney eyesore. Making Michael Eisner proud!
I agree that it seems a bit out of place, but it's better than an observation tower or something like that.
Especially if you are not accustomed to seeing hot air balloons, (like me in a suburb of Milwaukee) it is at least a little interesting.

I just wish the skin on it was a bit different.

beyondyou

i saw the characters flying on the bus ride back home from work at CB. i could see it clearly all hte way from Chatham Square.

pretty impressive looking, wish i had my camera. perhaps i'll run over tomorrow and get some pictures

muteki

i saw the characters flying on the bus ride back home from work at CB. i could see it clearly all hte way from Chatham Square.

pretty impressive looking, wish i had my camera. perhaps i'll run over tomorrow and get some pictures

Definitely looking forward to some pictures, especially of the view! :eek:

JLW11Hi

Interesting. I think it looks like something a lot of people will want to do once on their trip while they are at Downtown Disney. The view will really give people an idea of the scope of WDW and the distances between each park/resort.

My biggest concern is whether or not it will be intruding on the skylines of the parks. Mainly Epcot, since it is so close. That place has enough intrusions on its skyline as it is, with the Tower of Terror and the Swan and Dolphin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom