Changes at DTD

SirGoofy

As it should be...:fork:

I had always wanted to take a course, just to do it.:eek: Now, I would most likely go there and already know what they present.:shrug:

Honestly, it's worthless and incredibly boring for people like us. We know how Disney should work, how to treat guests, etc.

I was so disappointed by Traditions.:lol:

Thelazer

If the announcement is a 3rd party owned restaurant that involves the use of the BET kitchen and BET building, connected to the Adventures Club.. With a dinner show concept.

Lets just say, I've been calling this one for years now.

Kiff

No Brainer

I think Disney is really going to have a problem a few years down the road with DTD completly filled with 3rd party operators. Without the Disney touch you will see a big drop in attendance and suddenly those 3rd partys start pulling out. All they need to do is keep/open some additinonal Disney operated locations to bring in the crowds. A guest drops into DTD and has dinner at a 3rd party restaurant and spends the rest of the night at the AC...

Seems like a no brainer to me. :shrug:

AndrewRnR

Yeah...only the AC wasn't losing money. It was making money. Not lots, but enough that it should be allowed to stay if for no other reason than to make guests happy and leave a little Disney magic in the area.
Nothing magical about a third-party restaurant/bar.

Sigh....once upon it was about more than money. It was about show.
(In case anybody forgot their Keys: Show trumps Efficiency.:mad:)

Times have changed. I'm all about show but if the company ain't making money then it needs to stop. Especially if the company is public and has plenty of shareholders. Sure you could keep it open just to please the guests but when I used to live in Orlando a year+ ago the place didn't please guests it was near empty on many nights and the people that were there were non-paying cast members that ruined the punch line of every joke. As for nothing magical about a 3rd party... I disagree I truly enjoy Nine Dragons and Yack and Yeti and find them to be just as "magical" as their Disney counterparts.

I still don't buy it was making money but I guess if neither of us has seen the records its neither here nor there. I just seem to remember hearing talk around the island (I used to frequent the clubs when I lived in O-town) and the talk was all about losing money.

SirGoofy

Times have changed. I'm all about show but if the company ain't making money then it needs to stop. Especially if the company is public and has plenty of shareholders. Sure you could keep it open just to please the guests but when I used to live in Orlando a year+ ago the place didn't please guests it was near empty on many nights and the people that were there were non-paying cast members that ruined the punch line of every joke. As for nothing magical about a 3rd party... I disagree I truly enjoy Nine Dragons and Yack and Yeti and find them to be just as "magical" as their Disney counterparts.

I still don't buy it was making money but I guess if neither of us has seen the records its neither here nor there. I just seem to remember hearing talk around the island (I used to frequent the clubs when I lived in O-town) and the talk was all about losing money.

It was making money. Lee would know.

NMBC1993

That’s all fine and dandy but I just hate the way things are going in the company right now. They are going cheap on EVERYTHING!!! I would be ok if they just cut down a bit but come on the facts are all there. 1 new mediocre attraction for the year meanwhile over at DL they've designed an entire summer event just because they felt like it. DL gets updates to Fantasmic, WDW cuts theirs. Making money is important for a company but if you’re someone like Disney, you need to also focus on making QUALITY experiences that can't be found anywhere else.

sittle

Do the "it's about money" people around here not get it.... are you guys for real?... wake up..

Shareholders is what got people into this mess in the first place.... They put a "money man" (Rick Wagoener, Financial Analyst) in charge of GM.... look where that landed them, they've made more versions of the same SUV (cause it's an efficient way of giving people what they want, and put them in black ink), put the Volt on ice (showing a clear lack of inspiration and foresight) and then went bankrupt cause they couldn't compete with foreign car manufacturers...

Chrysler in the 70's went through the same thing... how did they deal with it? They brought in Lee Iacocca, a trained and skilled engineer who then went into sales and marketing... His knowledge of the car coupled with his knowledge of sales turned that company around... then they put a money man in charge again (Robert Nardelli) who drove that company into the ground... It's on life support...

When you think soley about money, there is no vision. Sorry AndrewRnR, you just can't think about profit anymore...

As Lee said Show trumps efficiency.... So what if you make a lot of greenbacks???.... People don't recognize Walt Disney as a man that made a nice dollar, they recognize him as an innovator and entertainer... Carnegie made a lot of bread too, but people don't remember him for that, they remember the work he did to educate/inform and entertain people....

You can't buy a legacy like that, you can't buy an image.... Sometimes it isn't about money, you have to innovate and adapt and look ahead. You can't do that when you've got a bunch of chairmen and stockholders who are wringing their hands like old grandmothers, worried they won't be able to vacation on Maui if the company doesn't hit their forecasted profit margin next quarter...

I've been to AC at least on 4 different occasions, all off season, each time it was shoulder to shoulder, and the barkeeps were slinging the 7 dollar drinks, there is no way that place didn't make some cash.... No way. They simply need to give it a new home (at the Boardwalk or AKL) or a little bit of support (better clubs surrounding it) an presto, they would have been rolling in it... It's as simple as that, anyone with a few braincells left can recognize that this place was a good idea from the get go...It's not going to make hand over fist money, clubs don't do that unless they are selling illegal narcotics or buying cheap gut rot and watering down the drinks...

.... The sooner everyone in north america realizes that it is no longer about making a beautiful dollar, the sooner we will all be out of this mess... We don't make anything anymore, we've stopped taking chances and we've stopped inventing...

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Many BIG changes at DTD. Look, layout and feel of areas will change completely. Sorry, ad club and BET gone for good. Look for cool F&B options. Staff changes too.

why is it always that 8-trax and mannequins are never mentioned? Motion is not mentioned either and I was told they are keeping it for conventions. Thoughts?

Mr.EPCOT

I have a feeling that Traditions used to be a lot more meaningful.

I definitely have hope that the Adventurers Club will be revived sometime somewhere down the line. It's just too well-regarded and too good a concept to ever go away. Maybe they'll reconsider it as part of these urban entertainment centers, or someone powerful enough at Disneyland wants it as part of their Downtown Disney/Adventureland, or someone here, even.

Spaceship Tony

I have been to the world only three times in the past two years, but as a bar and club owner, I must say, the expenses of running a place like the adventurers club would be relatively astronomical. And the few times I was there, the place had no more than 30 people (Twice in December, June and August) and as an earlier poster noted, there was no drinkers. My GF and I had two drinks each and were seemingly the big spenders...

That being said, when Disney puts their imagineering strength and quality behind an attraction, restaurant or shop it stands out above all the rest BY FAR, and having a few Disney quality things in DTD would benefit all the surrounding 3rd party estabishments greatly.

But let's not be fooled, 3rd Party restaurants and shops will still attract the masses to DTD because it's there and Disney markets DTD well enough to their arriving guests who aren't obsessed with the mouse like we are...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom