Changes at DTD

kashmir

Didn't Jason Surrell write the script and help create Stitch's Supersonic Failure, I mean, Celebration??? Now he is going to work on Pleasure Island??? Now we know why Stitch shut down... he is taking over the Adventurers Club... New name??? Stitch's Supersonic Adventurers Club, complete with a dance floor... Now, you all can have your AC back, newly themed with a CGI Stitch dancing with the club goers...

Be fair! Jason Surrell wrote two of my favorite books about Disney rides!

EPCOT Explorer

I have a feeling that Traditions used to be a lot more meaningful.

I definitely have hope that the Adventurers Club will be revived sometime somewhere down the line. It's just too well-regarded and too good a concept to ever go away. Maybe they'll reconsider it as part of these urban entertainment centers, or someone powerful enough at Disneyland wants it as part of their Downtown Disney/Adventureland, or someone here, even.
Exactly right!

...It's going to Hong Kong.:rolleyes:

YensidsHat

Then let me ask, what right now is a much better option than the AC? The Princess Diana temporary monument? Another Landry's restaurant just like the other 3 on property? Maybe the $16 4 minute balloon ride? I'm sorry but if you think AC wasn't all that great, I'd hate to see what you think is.

T-Rex is nothing like Yak and Yeti except for the disappointment factor. :animwink:

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Please excuse any typos, typing from a really small keyboard.

Not everything new will be 3rd party. The retheming concept sounds cool too. A much better fit. Relaxing. And changes to AMC as well. Will be more like the new theater in Downtown Orlando. There may be changes to the parking flow as well, for the better.

Regarding A.C. and the comments above, entertainment, admissions and F&B are in three different buckets, so it's hard to say straight forward "it ran in the black" or "it ran in the red". But IF you're considering them to be all one bucket, it would be in the red. I personally will miss it, but unfortunately it was not a huge revenue driver. I don't want to get into a big argument about it. I loved it, but it's gone and for the right reasons.

Now keep something in mind w/these changes. Try to forget that we'll miss P.I. as it was in it's prime. How many people on these boards complain (including myself) about long wait times at restaurants, having to make reservations 90/180 days out, no walk up availability, ect... more restaurants will certainly alleviate that. The good news is that the current plans have some fun and innovative concepts, as well as some big names in the restaurant business overseeing them. These are true dining experiences that the Disney Parks are known for. And that excites me. Keep an open mind, and when everything opens, see what you think.

I can guaruntee you that if it ends up being a big mistake and doesn't draw more people, the new concept will hold the same fate as P.I. However, I honestly believe it's going to be successful. That's all I've got.

jt04

Please excuse any typos, typing from a really small keyboard.

Not everything new will be 3rd party. The retheming concept sounds cool too. A much better fit. Relaxing. And changes to AMC as well. Will be more like the new theater in Downtown Orlando. There may be changes to the parking flow as well, for the better.

Regarding A.C. and the comments above, entertainment, admissions and F&B are in three different buckets, so it's hard to say straight forward "it ran in the black" or "it ran in the red". But IF you're considering them to be all one bucket, it would be in the red. I personally will miss it, but unfortunately it was not a huge revenue driver. I don't want to get into a big argument about it. I loved it, but it's gone and for the right reasons.

Now keep something in mind w/these changes. Try to forget that we'll miss P.I. as it was in it's prime. How many people on these boards complain (including myself) about long wait times at restaurants, having to make reservations 90/180 days out, no walk up availability, ect... more restaurants will certainly alleviate that. The good news is that the current plans have some fun and innovative concepts, as well as some big names in the restaurant business overseeing them. These are true dining experiences that the Disney Parks are known for. And that excites me. Keep an open mind, and when everything opens, see what you think.

I can guaruntee you that if it ends up being a big mistake and doesn't draw more people, the new concept will hold the same fate as P.I. However, I honestly believe it's going to be successful. That's all I've got.

Sounds perfect! I love the "relaxing" concept. DTD can be "family" without over the top street fests and DJ's and the like, although there is certainly room for some of that. I'm hoping it leans more towards a casual/relaxing atmosphere in the daytime to more sophisticated and magical (state of the art lighting/street performers/live shows) at night. But I'll be happy with whatever they have come up with. Just a hunch. :)

SirGoofy

Sounds perfect! I love the "relaxing" concept. DTD can be "family" without over the top street fests and DJ's and the like, although there is certainly room for some of that. I'm hoping it leans more towards a casual/relaxing atmosphere in the daytime to more sophisticated and magical (state of the art lighting/street performers/live shows) at night. But I'll be happy with whatever they have come up with. Just a hunch. :)

Oh, I'm sure you'll love whatever they come up with, jt.

I'm still waiting for some progress. Because I've seen none so far as it pertains to the club buildings.

jt04

I'm still waiting for some progress. Because I've seen none so far as it pertains to the club buildings.

And I'm sure the A.C. folks will hate any concept. Of course all the posts will start with, "This is nice but......."

So I'll have the same response to those who already have their minds made up, "enjoy CW".

And I won't say I like it if I don't. I just have strong confidence the tide has turned! :sohappy:

SirGoofy

And I'm sure the A.C. folks will hate any concept. Of course all the posts will start with, "This is nice but......."

So I'll have the same response to those who already have their minds made up, "enjoy CW".

And I won't say I like it if I don't. I just have strong confidence the tide has turned! :sohappy:

Except...you know. All the clubs are still sitting there. Empty.

Lee

Adventurer

Yeah...this is nice, but...

No reason they couldn't have kept the Club...even as a restaurant.
It's like someone broke into my house and stole something I cherish.:mad:
It will never be forgiven. Begin grudge.

I'm cool with changes to the AMC, though. More comfy seats would be appreciated...:D

jt04

The only things in life more certain are death and the pope being a catholic.

The popes catholic? Who knew. :lol:

Yep the tide has turned but not before washing PI out to sea.

I am hoping the Empress Lilly gets her dignity back.

I want sophistcated top notch dining venues.

Family friendly dining options and entertainment.

A multitude of entertainment options the entire family can enjoy.

And Disney quality lighting, landscaping and back ground music.

And maybe a nightly entertainment show in the lagoon. Perhaps a mini version of World of Color.

jt04

Except...you know. All the clubs are still sitting there. Empty.

Yes that is why Imayoyo started this thread, to tell us a plan is on the way.

And for what it's worth, I have said I would like to see AC and the Comedy Warehouse stay. But perhaps they have come up with something better.

SirGoofy

And for what it's worth, I have said I would like to see AC and the Comedy Warehouse stay. But perhaps they have come up with something better.

I seriously doubt this. As an avid Disney freak, the Adventurer's Club was one of THE crowning of achievements of WDI. It had everything a Disney attraction should.

I doubt some generic Landry's type restaurant will be better than that.

jt04

I seriously doubt this. As an avid Disney freak, the Adventurer's Club was one of THE crowning of achievements of WDI. It had everything a Disney attraction should.

I doubt some generic Landry's type restaurant will be better than that.

I know real "Disney freaks" who were not overwhelmed with A.C. It wasn't universal as many Disney properties are. A.C. ran the spectrum of opinions, from the rabid to the neutral to people that did not like it. I was luke warm over it. Can't say I'll really miss it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Which is why you dont get some of the arguments and issues being raised.

Ill like always reserve my comments till its built/opens. If its not for me, so what, I know what I likes (to quote genesis) and I know Disney are not catering for my needs alone, however of late I do feel like my demographic has been ignored.

What do I want, I dont know for sure, I liked the AC cause it was different, I liked the comedy club because it was good and something I enjoy here and at the Edinburgh festival, I enjoy live bands but they better be good and have a specific genre, not to catch all. But a cut n paste of City Walks is not what Im after either.

But time will tell

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
are 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, 2 mini golfs, and every hotel and restaurant not family enough? Why is it asking too much to have one place where adults can have fun? I want to go somewhere safe, where I can choose between techno, 70s and 80s, and improv comedy(note, you can find hip hop anywhere) I don't want to walk a mile and a half to get there, and preferably, I'd love free transportation back to where I'm staying. I want clean clubs in a smoke free environment.

Presently, there is nowhere I can go to achieve all of these. That's what PI had and that's what has been lost with PI.

There are 3 things that draw me, as a local and a CM, to DTD right now. 1. Earl of Sandwich
2. AMC
3. The tshirt shop so I can make tshirts with the 7 dwarves about how stupid it is that they closed PI.

Part of me wants them to just demolish the whole island, get rid of the name, and know that it will never return. Only then will I be truly free to follow my own vision for the future of a certain area of downtown Orlando.

Then part of me hopes they will reverse. It seems with this pending release that it's not going to happen. I don't care what they put on that island, I will not patronize any of it and will make sure I don't recommend it either. The only thing that will draw me to DTD anymore will be AMC and I won't spend a penny beyond it.

edit: I forgot to add maybe they should close typhoon lagoon. I hear it's attracting the wrong element...just as they said PI did

CBOMB

That's about a safe as a bet you can make.

I have only been to the AC one time. It was enjoyable (especially if you're the poor chum who seems to be the butt of the jokes), but it was not the reason I go to WDW. A friend who goes to WDW the same time we do every year, loves the place, and it's a must do for him. He would have been there most nights had he lived in the Orlando area.

Now the loss of the AC doesn't effect me as much as a lot of people here in the forum. What bothers me the most is we as guest have lost something very distinctive, very unique. Somehow I just don't think what ever is going to replace the AC is going to be as unique.

Yes we need more restaurants, but we don't need to eliminate things that set WDW apart from the everyday run of the mill real world stuff. The AC was just such an ATTRACTION!

Edit: I did consider the AC to be on the level of an e-ticket. Especially if you were looking for some place with no stroller parking, and a place to hang after the parks closed.

wdwfan100

That's about a safe as a bet you can make.

I have only been to the AC one time. It was enjoyable (especially if you're the poor chum who seems to be the butt of the jokes), but it was not the reason I go to WDW. A friend who goes to WDW the same time we do every year, loves the place, and it's a must do for him. He would have been there most nights had he lived in the Orlando area.

Now the loss of the AC doesn't effect me as much as a lot of people here in the forum. What bothers me the most is we as guest have lost something very distinctive, very unique. Somehow I just don't think what ever is going to replace the AC is going to be as unique.

Yes we need more restaurants, but we don't need to eliminate things that set WDW apart from the everyday run of the mill real world stuff. The AC was just such an ATTRACTION!

Edit: I did consider the AC to be on the level of an e-ticket. Especially if you were looking for some place with no stroller parking, and a place to hang after the parks closed.

I agree. I will greatly miss the AC, and while I strongly disagree with the decission what alarms me more is the lose of ingenuity. If Disney looses (or has lost) the creative advantage that made them successful, than why spend so much money on a vacation there. How long will it be before this "easy way out" philosophy spills over to other areas of the resorts. The parks have needed some TLC for quite a while. Perhaps it already has. Disney needs to stand out from what can be found by driving 15 minutes down the road. By allowing 3rd parties to do all there work that difference is going to be harder and harder to find.

Captain Chaos

So anyway, now that this has turned into: WE WANT A.C. BACK WAAAAAAH.... and IT IS NOT COMNIG BACK!! GET OVER IT!!! thread, can we find out from the OP when the press release or anouncement is due???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom