Changes at DTD

Brian_WDW74

I don't know if this is any indication on whether there's a master plan or how long it's been around, but there was an interview with Jason Surrell posted on Mouse Planet on June 5th that included this snippet (I've bolded the relevant part):

Steve: What’s next?

Jason: I’m going right into Star Wars Weekends, which begin later this month. I’m writing and directing some shows for that. I’m also working on developing some live entertainment for our new cruise ships, the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy. After that, I’m going right into Christmas shows so things are moving along pretty well. I’m also working with Imagineering on the redevelopment of Pleasure Island.

It seems to me that if the plans are now finalized, it happened very recently.

NMBC1993

I don't know if this is any indication on whether there's a master plan or how long it's been around, but there was an interview with Jason Surrell posted on Mouse Planet on June 5th that included this snippet (I've bolded the relevant part):

It seems to me that if the plans are now finalized, it happened very recently.

Lets hope the plans are more then just shopping and dining or else I'll still have no reason to go to DTD except for the AMC theater. I was hoping TDO would have come to their senses and re-opened AC before my birthday in 3 days but I guess I'll just be stuck at home with my friends...oh well:(

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
How can everyone here just automatically assume this is the end to DTD or that its going to be horrible when we haven't heard details or seen any plans?

Call me crazy but it seems like many are just so upset about the AC that they assume new changes will suck. Sure the AC may not reopen but that doesn't mean anything and everything related to DTD will be crap.

No... Not crazy... I just call that "Horizons Syndrome" :lol: :lookaroun :lookaroun

AndrewRnR

Are you honestly comparing billion dollar expansions with original attractions to third party restaurants and shopping?

Yes I am. I think that is no more or less foolish then assuming whatever is coming will be crap before it is even announced.

Horizons Syndrome? Yeah I'll buy that. I actually enjoy Mission Space much more and think it was a better use of the area. I'm all about new high-tech stuff.

NMBC1993

Yes I am. I think that is no more or less foolish then assuming whatever is coming will be crap before it is even announced.

The only problem I see is all those DCA updates are looked after by John Lasseter and staff that seems to actually CARE about what goes into their parks. Here in FL we're dealing with the TDO who avoids doing anything except putting in more DVC that won't sell. Hell the only new attraction we got this year was AIE...yeah I'm not too impressed with the future of DTD.

AndrewRnR

...yeah I'm not too impressed with the future of DTD.

How can you be? You don't know what the future holds. Do I wonder what the future holds and if it will be great? Yes. But I also don't like to assume (we all know what happens when you assume) that it is going to suck. I like to think positive. I'm just a glass half full kind of guy I guess.

NMBC1993

How can you be? You don't know what the future holds. Do I wonder what the future holds and if it will be great? Yes. But I also don't like to assume (we all know what happens when you assume) that it is going to suck. I like to think positive. I'm just a glass half full kind of guy I guess.

I am not impressed because we have already seen a glimpse of what they have in mind. A Princess Diana temp exhibit? More restaurants? I'm sorry but I can't stay positive of a place that takes forever to even refurb Space Mountain, adds 1 new attraction, meanwhile builds 3 new DVC resorts in 1 year. WDW's track record speaks for itself on this one.

mickey2008.1

I used to love the old DTD. It has some good things still in the way of dining and shopping, but the cubs of PI were awesome. I hope that the plans include at some of the old clubs like Ac, or the comedy club. It guves you something to do that doesnt cost an arm and leg like circ. Always try to be positive, its a place to get away for us here in ohio, even though we are the roller coaster capitol of the world. Now those are rides, but no theme.:hammer:

worldfanatic

Remove the AC and everything at DTD is tarnished with the evil and shame of that foolish, ignorant decision.
I'm finished over there.

This is a double win

1. One less mediocre club which wasn't close to the experience "AC Crybabies" fantasize it was.

2. One less "Whiner" strolling the grounds of Downtown Disney.

This is great news for plenty of us. "Bold New Vision" works for me. :sohappy:

NMBC1993

This is a double win

1. One less mediocre club which wasn't close to the experience "AC Crybabies" fantasize it was.

Then let me ask, what right now is a much better option than the AC? The Princess Diana temporary monument? Another Landry's restaurant just like the other 3 on property? Maybe the $16 4 minute balloon ride? I'm sorry but if you think AC wasn't all that great, I'd hate to see what you think is.

rudyjr13

The only problem I see is all those DCA updates are looked after by John Lasseter and staff that seems to actually CARE about what goes into their parks. Here in FL we're dealing with the TDO who avoids doing anything except putting in more DVC that won't sell. Hell the only new attraction we got this year was AIE...yeah I'm not too impressed with the future of DTD.

I hate to be "that guy" but what the heck does TDO stand for? I did a search on the forums for "TDO" but surprisingly it came up with nothing, which shocked me since it's used daily on here.

Thanks in advance.

NMBC1993

I hate to be "that guy" but what the heck does TDO stand for? I did a search on the forums for "TDO" but surprisingly it came up with nothing, which shocked me since it's used daily on here.

Thanks in advance.

TDO = Team Disney Orlando:wave:

Lee

Adventurer

Kindly keep your insults to yourself.
Talking that way about the Club and it's fans is not necessary at all.
(Never mind my statement that those that didn't like the Club are lower life forms, unworthy of my attention.:cool:)

worldfanatic

Kindly keep your insults to yourself.
Talking that way about the Club and it's fans is not necessary at all.
(Never mind my statement that those that didn't like the Club are lower life forms, unworthy of my attention.:cool:)

Well played!!! I'll give you that! :ROFLOL:

*sighs* so glad I convinced my husband the tix for Congaloosh were worth every penny to have one more night at the AC.

Now I have to convince him it's not worth going to Dtd at all. He's a shopaholic, but it's the principle of the thing!

mickey2008.1

*sighs* so glad I convinced my husband the tix for Congaloosh were worth every penny to have one more night at the AC.

Now I have to convince him it's not worth going to Dtd at all. He's a shopaholic, but it's the principle of the thing!

Whats congaloosh? And dtd is no longer worth it, i agree.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have a feeling we will all be surprised when things happen and plans are announced - Disney is a business and I'm sure they arn't going to just let PI and its big ugly buildings sit empty for any longer then they have to.
Yep. They have a plan. Farm out as much as possible to 3rd parties and take the rent.

I said it before, I`ll say it again - the only reason I`ll go back to DTD is to drop my bags at the Virgin Airlines check in on the way home.

And that`s one more reason than the people (normal tourists) I have spoken to over here have.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yep. They have a plan. Farm out as much as possible to 3rd parties and take the rent.

Beginning of the end was probably Disneyland's DTD, which was almost all third party from the start. Guess Disney liked not having to pay much attention while still making alot of money. Of course, that DTD has the advantage of being walking distance from the parks and hotels. Since the DTD in WDW requires an effort to get to (except for those at SSR and the LBV hotels), the 3rd party stuff has got to be darned compelling to make it work.

Yoyo doesn't seem quite as disappointed as I would expect, now that he's seen the plans. Maybe something interesting will come. If they build my dream Disney Parks museum, I'll have something to look forward to, but if it's a bunch of 3rd party family-friendly restaurants, there will likely be little appeal for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom