Changes at DTD

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Disney really doesn't want to be in the business of providing a place for people to cry in their beers or drown their sorrows. It really is not the business they are in.

Disney is in the family entertainment business. And they have had some success with that concept I hear.
No they aren't. All they care about is money and alcohol = money.
Having said that, I will agree that in the past they didn't want the Disney name on anything that wasn't family friendly. In fact when PI first opened, it was "owned" by paramount and the name tags didn't even have Mickey on it.

Then management decided we needed everything to be associated with the Disney name so they started putting Disney references on the island and eventually evolved to the blend with the park tickets and napkins with "Disney Parks" on them.

IMO if they wanted to be landlord they could have just sold the clubs and made them 3rd party clubs in the same way the Italian place at EPCOT is outsourced. Guests wouldn't even know.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
It might have been profitable, but why be profitable when you can be PROFITABLE? And that comes by offering a more compelling product. Which I predict will be what happens at DTD.

no, it comes through PROMOTION, which they gave up on!

And as far as other complexes, I'm gung ho and ready to create club steam(mannequins), bell bottom and tops(8-trax), and the comedy factory(duh) in the old church St station locations. Unfortunately, I don't have 43 million dollars to buy the complex and apparently no one else does

note: names are a work in progress :ROFLOL:

worldfanatic

See, my opinion is that Disney is purposely moving at the pace they are moving and the reasons will be clear someday.

And then you will see everything for what it is. You might want to read the OP again.

I'm with you JT.
It's very difficult to be patient.
And these boards are ANYTHING but patient.
But I agree, patience will pay off concerning DTD.

Lee

Adventurer
to the fan, but not the company and its shareholders...
Actually, no.....that is part of the "Keys to the Kingdom"...a company guideline which they have been ignoring more and more in recent years.

Sad...the Keys are what really set the Disney experience apart.:(

jt04 said:
Which is a great destination for everyone and that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Sure...but like I always say: "Something for everyone, but not everything for everyone."
I am a loyal Disney fan and guest and I require (demand) a place of nighttime entertainment. (With as few kids as possible, please.:drevil: And preferably called Adventurers Club.)

jt04

Actually, no.....that is part of the "Keys to the Kingdom"...a company guideline which they have been ignoring more and more in recent years.

Sad...the Keys are what really set the Disney experience apart.:(

Sure...but like I always say: "Something for everyone, but not everything for everyone."
I am a loyal Disney fan and guest and I require (demand) a place of nighttime entertainment. (With as few kids as possible, please.:drevil: And preferably called Adventurers Club.)

I'm sure some people are demanding gambling on site too but that doesn't mean it will happen.

There are plenty of places on property with "nightly entertainment". HoB, Bongos, Raglin Road, clubs at the resorts.....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sure some people are demanding gambling on site too but that doesn't mean it will happen.

There are plenty of places on property with "nightly entertainment". HoB, Bongos, Raglin Road, clubs at the resorts.....
Not exactly a valid point considering that gambling is illegal in the state of Florida except on Indian reservations.

CDavid

Disney is purposely moving at the pace they are moving and the reasons will be clear someday

The reasons have been crystal clear for a long time now: Disney doesn't have a clue.

Some major decisions by Disney (senior management) appear to simply defy explanation. A trained monkey - minus the training - could often do just as well. That's pretty sad for a company which once knew no bounds.

The probable explanation for the glacial pace of Pleasure island redevelopment is that Disney expected to shutter the clubs and rent the spaces out to high-paying tenants. We all know how well that worked out, and the failure of that strategy left us with an abandoned eyesore (P.I.) which threatens to undermine an otherwise still (generally) successful shopping and dining complex.

jt04

The reasons have been crystal clear for a long time now: Disney doesn't have a clue.

Some major decisions by Disney (senior management) appear to simply defy explanation. A trained monkey - minus the training - could often do just as well. That's pretty sad for a company which once knew no bounds.

The probable explanation for the glacial pace of Pleasure island redevelopment is that Disney expected to shutter the clubs and rent the spaces out to high-paying tenants. We all know how well that worked out, and the failure of that strategy left us with an abandoned eyesore (P.I.) which threatens to undermine an otherwise still (generally) successful shopping and dining complex.

It's my experience that Disney does not make such mistakes. Time will tell.

jt04

Not exactly a valid point considering that gambling is illegal in the state of Florida except on Indian reservations.

And race tracks, dog tracke and jai alai.

What are all those little electronic poker machine places you see everywhere? I'm sure some guests are demanding some of those on property too. But not likely to happen.

Hmmm, jai alai! I need to call guest relations. WDW needs jai alai.

:lol:

ttalovebug

I never actually went to PI, because my family goes on day trips from Tampa and we almost never stay overnight in Orlando. But last week we did. We went to Downtown Disney looking for something to do, eventually settled for dinner at Paridiso 37. "PI" is a horrible sight!! It was packed, to my suprise, and being used simply as a traffic lane. I was people watching outside while waiting to be seated. A few people stopped to see a lame stilt-man act, but most just looked, perplexed, at the closed buildings. Couples and groups of adults walked through in "club attire" looking for something fun to do, but finding nothing. People ask the CMs over and over- Are the clubs open? The signs that are still up are deceiving, drawing people in when there is nothing to see. These people don't want to eat and shop- they want to party! They want to have a good time! Now that my siblings and I are older, (and having a premium pass) our family definitely would have paid a visit to the CW and/or the AC, which we, unfortunately, never got to do. Jt, I don't think anything you're alluding to can possibly exsist. There NEEDS to be (good) adult entertainment at Disney. 'Nuff said.

CaptainMichael

None are comparable to Comedy Warehouse or more importantly, the Adventurers Club.

23 days till Congaloosh!

Thelazer

New Strategy.

You close all the clubs, but keep all the signs. Now, when guests walk thru, they see all this stuff but can't do it, so it creates demand.

Now we just need to have those nifty survey guys go out there and ask people "What did you think of your day at DTD" when guests reply that, they thought pleasure island was mis-leading, cause nothing was open and they wanted to see the clubs, well that gives em the go ahead to reopen a few clubs since, the guests demand it! Simple eh?

Oh and I agree about the lack of plan part.

CBOMB

Try topless bars jt04. Maybe that will work for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom