Changes at DTD

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Kinda, i think the reason why so many are upset about the AC going is more due to the fact that it represents a true vision of "Adult Disney". it was a great place to get drunk, a great place to have a massive laugh, and a great concept thru and thru.

With AC Disney struck gold with the whole merging of Disney/Drinking/adult entertainment. Plus then some great clubs on top it was a fantastic strategy. I just think DTD tore its self apart by having PI right in the middle of the two "non" adult districts.

I personally feel if it wasn't for the fact it did affect foot flow thru DTD then 'maybe' some of PI would have survived, just my thoughts. Im sure it would have been scaled back, but just maybe not 100% closed.

Oh and a 4pm close too, but I like to party hard for my money!:sohappy:

If they hadn't built the west side as a knee jerk reaction to Citywalk, there wouldn't have been a problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Kinda, i think the reason why so many are upset about the AC going is more due to the fact that it represents a true vision of "Adult Disney". it was a great place to get drunk, a great place to have a massive laugh, and a great concept thru and thru.

With AC Disney struck gold with the whole merging of Disney/Drinking/adult entertainment. Plus then some great clubs on top it was a fantastic strategy. I just think DTD tore its self apart by having PI right in the middle of the two "non" adult districts.

I personally feel if it wasn't for the fact it did affect foot flow thru DTD then 'maybe' some of PI would have survived, just my thoughts. Im sure it would have been scaled back, but just maybe not 100% closed.

Just posting to indicate agreement with all this.

jt04

Oh and a 4pm close too, but I like to party hard for my money!:sohappy:

Even the most ardent PI defender would hardly say the place was like "striking gold". In America any concept that "strikes gold" immediately gets duplicated. That never happened. Everyone forgets the overhead that place had. I'm all for keeping the AC open but toned down and more family friendly.

If I hear family oriented 1 more time I am going to scream!!!! :goodnevil:goodnevil:goodnevil

What is wrong with family. :shrug:

DisneyCanadian

DTD needs to have more than just retail and restaurant locations. It's supposed to be a place for nightlife and entertainment. The reason PI did not work is because they had the same clubs/bars for years.

Any person who regularly attends them knows their popularity is cyclical. I'm assuming people got tired of the same stuff and stopped going. There was variety as each place had different atmosphere's, but again having the same handful of places year after year can get tiresome.

I only hope the WDI and execs can do something fun and usefull with DTD, and not just have it a place to shop. You can get all the same stuff in the gift shops at the parks or resorts as you can as DTD.

jt04

DTD needs to have more than just retail and restaurant locations. It's supposed to be a place for nightlife and entertainment. The reason PI did not work is because they had the same clubs/bars for years.

Any person who regularly attends them knows their popularity is cyclical. I'm assuming people got tired of the same stuff and stopped going. There was variety as each place had different atmosphere's, but again having the same handful of places year after year can get tiresome.

I only hope the WDI and execs can do something fun and usefull with DTD, and not just have it a place to shop. You can get all the same stuff in the gift shops at the parks or resorts as you can as DTD.

Oh I think they will and it will be marvel-ous.

The green one. :D

Clubs & Disney...not a good combo.

The last thing that Disney knows anything about is the club business. If you've ever worked in the biz for any amount of time you realize real quick that if you're "hot" one year you're not going to be the next. It's just the nature of the beast and if you don't know how to roll w/the punches than your bar/club will fail and that's what happened at PI. (I wouldn't consider AC a club...it was more of an attraction). PI was more stagnant than musty water and their New Years parties were the biggest joke ever (it's where washed up MOR talent go to die). If you want to see how successful nightlife can be in Orlando, head downtown on a Friday night. That's how you do it.

BTW...WDW is the greatest form of birth control on the planet. It'll scare the bejesus out of any potential mom or dad. The last thing I want is a gaggle of kids crying and moaning all day AND having to spend thousands of dollars to hear them do it. I've always said it and I'll say it again. WDW should be 21+.

Central clear.

Lee

Adventurer
What is wrong with family. :shrug:

Nothing. WDW is full of "family" places.
But....not everything has to be "family", unless you have a very broad definition of the word. Those of us who like to avoid "family" from time to time really appreciate the escape that PI/AC offered.

CDavid

You can get all the same stuff in the gift shops at the parks or resorts as you can as DTD.

This is a separate, though related, and far more serious problem. If basically the same selection of similar merchandise is available at every retail location, what possible reason do I have for shopping at more than one shop. Indeed, often we just go to World of Disney because we can find most everything there, not have to fool with carrying it around or sending it back to the hotel. We may buy a few items at the resort, but with the rumored demise of much of the resort-specific merchandise, there will be no need for that anymore either.

If I haven't bought that same generic "Disney Parks" t-shirt you're pushing the first 25 shops I see it in, chances are I'm not going to suddenly take a liking to it after that. But if instead the Downtown Disney establishments were offering mostly merchandise you can't find elsewhere in Walt Disney World then probably I'll both have a compelling reason to visit the place and there's an excellent chance I'll find something I'm interested in.

Once you could find a wide selection of quality, expensive but not unreasonably so, merchandise at the Marketplace (then the Walt Disney World Village) which had little or nothing to do with Disney. That's a difficult concept for many of todays WDW visitors to grasp. The dress shoes Dad once bought at Sir Edwards Haberdasher, or the cookware Mom got at a long-gone Village store were only souvenirs in the broadest sense, but Disney made the sale (and the profits) because they provided a pleasant shopping experience in a throroughly enjoyable "Disney" resort setting.

While we all go to Disney for Disney - which is why we don't want a Marketplace (or P.I. or West Side) full of 3rd party tenants - that doesn't necessairily mean that every last person wants "all characters, all the time". Just like there remains some authentic (native) merchandise in World Showcase and Animal Kingdom, so is there a place for Disney-operated shops selling more than the same generic "Disney" souvenirs already found in too many other places in the "world".

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
That stupid floor at Mannequins is popping up in rumors again. I'm hearing that it was removed in 8 pieces through the big garage door and that the power grid for PI exists in the 8-trax/mannequins building and that's why it can't be removed. Additionally, the wiring is out of date, which is why they can't reopen. Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?

The power grid stuff is new info to me, but I still find the floor information hard to believe. What would be the purpose?

imagineer boy

Nothing. WDW is full of "family" places.
But....not everything has to be "family", unless you have a very broad definition of the word. Those of us who like to avoid "family" from time to time really appreciate the escape that PI/AC offered.

Well said Lee! WDW is jam packed with family oriented things, but not exactly EVERYTHING has to be family oriented.

JustInTime

I went to WDW 2 weeks ago. I went to P.I. and it was the SADDEST thing EVER. The Adventure's Club was just sitting their. All the lights were on in the place so I got a good look. It looks untouched. I was always too young to go in. :(

JustInTime

CaptainMichael

I went to WDW 2 weeks ago. I went to P.I. and it was the SADDEST thing EVER. The Adventure's Club was just sitting their. All the lights were on in the place so I got a good look. It looks untouched. I was always too young to go in. :(

I often wonder what guests think when they see that cool looking building and can't go in. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit its a pretty sweet looking building/facade.

Thelazer

The power grid was on the 3rd floor of the building, essentially it was just behind the back wall of the stage. Could it be removed, yes but it would require powering down the whole island for a few weeks while I'm told.

I'm also told that the floor was intact along with some of the other hardware inside the club. This was just after the entertainment department removed all the items they wanted from the club. So if it has been removed, it wasn't done by entertainment.

That stupid floor at Mannequins is popping up in rumors again. I'm hearing that it was removed in 8 pieces through the big garage door and that the power grid for PI exists in the 8-trax/mannequins building and that's why it can't be removed. Additionally, the wiring is out of date, which is why they can't reopen. Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?

The power grid stuff is new info to me, but I still find the floor information hard to believe. What would be the purpose?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I often wonder what guests think when they see that cool looking building and can't go in. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit its a pretty sweet looking building/facade.

All I have to do is stand in front of AC for 10 minutes and I hear multiple conversations as people pass it. I've even heard people say "hmm it must not be open yet. We'll come back at 10"

People also still frequently visit the island on the weekend clearly in clubbing attire, only to find out there are no clubs.

71jason

All I have to do is stand in front of AC for 10 minutes and I hear multiple conversations as people pass it. I've even heard people say "hmm it must not be open yet. We'll come back at 10"

People also still frequently visit the island on the weekend clearly in clubbing attire, only to find out there are no clubs.

Exactly. The bartenders at Laffers and PI Live still get asked "when do the clubs open?" or "where do we go to dance?" multiple times a night on weekdays, multiple times an hour on weekend nights. And the AC is still probably behind only Cindy's Castle and SSE as the most photographed building on property.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Exactly. The bartenders at Laffers and PI Live still get asked "when do the clubs open?" or "where do we go to dance?" multiple times a night on weekdays, multiple times an hour on weekend nights. And the AC is still probably behind only Cindy's Castle and SSE as the most photographed building on property.

from Disney's own (admittedly not always the most accurate) website:
Pleasure Island

As of September 28, 2008, all the nightclubs on Pleasure Island—8 Trax, The Adventurer's Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, BET Sound-Stage Club, Motion and The Comedy Warehouse—were closed. You'll be able to enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed through 2010. Raglan Road, Fuego by Sosa Cigars, Curl by Sammy Duval, Orlando Harley-Davidson, and outdoor food and beverage locations remain open during the transition. For more information regarding these changes, please visit the Pleasure Island FAQ page.

So...anybody that doesn't know that PI is closed before visiting hasn't done the most elementary of research.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom