Changes at DTD

71jason

But the Marketplace does very well during the daytime. Who are all those people? :veryconfu

Based on what? That the far too small Parking Lot 1 gets sort of full? "Very well" is a huge overstatement. It's not like there are lines of any significance.

jt04

New arrivals, guests taking a "rest" day, or clueless, unsuspecting guests who think that DTD actually has something to offer in lieu of the parks.

Based on what? That the far too small Parking Lot 1 gets sort of full? "Very well" is a huge overstatement. It's not like there are lines of any significance.

Even when I have an AP much time is spent at DTD. And it is not near what it could be. Once the area formerly known as PI gets fixed it will be even better. And there is almost always a line at the deli and the ice cream store. :slurp:

It can draw in locals who, if they don't already have AP's, will be tempted to purchase them more with each visit.

vonpluto

With todays news:

WE'RE TAKIN' IT BACK!!

takeback.jpg

Oh Yeah!, Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos!:sohappy:
Dates me, huh?

:wave:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Even when I have an AP much time is spent at DTD. And it is not near what it could be. Once the area formerly known as PI gets fixed it will be even better. And there is almost always a line at the deli and the ice cream store. :slurp:

It can draw in locals who, if they don't already have AP's, will be tempted to purchase them more with each visit.

They already had that. Locals would book hotels close to DTD simply to party for a weekend and have safe transportation! Locals would go to DTD and eat before the clubs opened.

It's a mess and it was closed because they purposely sabotaged it. Now they got bit in the butt because they can never think more than a quarter ahead. They should have seen the economy bust coming and kept the clubs open. People drink in a recession!

jt04

They already had that. Locals would book hotels close to DTD simply to party for a weekend and have safe transportation! Locals would go to DTD and eat before the clubs opened.

It's a mess and it was closed because they purposely sabotaged it. Now they got bit in the butt because they can never think more than a quarter ahead. They should have seen the economy bust coming and kept the clubs open. People drink in a recession!

Disney really doesn't want to be in the business of providing a place for people to cry in their beers or drown their sorrows. It really is not the business they are in.

Disney is in the family entertainment business. And they have had some success with that concept I hear.

jt04 - So, does my family (myself/32, brother and parents in CO/27/50/55) not count when you say "family entertainment"? Or is your idea of entertainment for a family with younger kids or something? Just curious about that.

I don't post here often, but I do wonder what folks such as yourself have for a hobby other than continuously posting here in an attempt to poo in others cornflakes. So what if many people enjoyed hanging out at PI over the years, had great times and laughs at the AC and Comedy Warehouse with their families, or boogied down with friends and/or family, right? As long as you get your last say along the lines of "PI wasn't as good as many said it was", or "they were right to close the place down...I'm sure it'll be better", you feel vindicated, right?

Sorry for the rant, but it is sad when folks troll through threads with what seems to be very negative motivation. Why not head to other threads to talk about what you do enjoy about Disney parks, resorts and activities? Hmm?

(And yes, who knows, Disney could come up with something good to replace the ghost town that is now residing in PI's place. But we won't know for months...speculation and heresay is all many folks have for now.)

jt04

jt04 - So, does my family (myself/32, brother and parents in CO/27/50/55) not count when you say "family entertainment"? Or is your idea of entertainment for a family with younger kids or something? Just curious about that.

I don't post here often, but I do wonder what folks such as yourself have for a hobby other than continuously posting here in an attempt to poo in others cornflakes. So what if many people enjoyed hanging out at PI over the years, had great times and laughs at the AC and Comedy Warehouse with their families, or boogied down with friends and/or family, right? As long as you get your last say along the lines of "PI wasn't as good as many said it was", or "they were right to close the place down...I'm sure it'll be better", you feel vindicated, right?

Sorry for the rant, but it is sad when folks troll through threads with what seems to be very negative motivation. Why not head to other threads to talk about what you do enjoy about Disney parks, resorts and activities? Hmm?

(And yes, who knows, Disney could come up with something good to replace the ghost town that is now residing in PI's place. But we won't know for months...speculation and heresay is all many folks have for now.)

I'm not negative at all. I'm very optimistic that whatever replaces PI will have a much broader appeal and will be equally loved.

I love DTD and want it to be all that it has the potential to be. Which is a great destination for everyone and that can be enjoyed by everyone. That is Disney to me.

PI failed to do this.

Whenever I see a problem, I see opportunities. All this love for PI means there is a market for the concept. So, it seems to me creating an area near Disney that is similar in scope and content is a no brainer. Night clubs, DJ's, comedy clubs, various music venues and great restaurants in a single pedestrian area. And such a place could grab the former PI crowd from Disney before they end up going all the way to Orlando or CW including Disney employees.

But yet it hasn't happened. And it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in building such a place. In fact the PI concept never has caught on anywhere! Could it be it has deep conceptual flaws inherent in the design?

To answer my own question, yes it could and does (did).

I'm not trolling, I just hate seeing people holding on to something that couldn't last. It really is time to move on. There are still plenty of places for adults to enjoy themselves on Disney property. And it doesn't take much effort to find them. Good luck.

wilsonhanks

I'm not negative at all. I'm very optimistic that whatever replaces PI will have a much broader appeal and will be equally loved.

I love DTD and want it to be all that it has the potential to be. Which is a great destination for everyone and that can be enjoyed by everyone. That is Disney to me.

PI failed to do this.

Whenever I see a problem, I see opportunities. All this love for PI means there is a market for the concept. So, it seems to me creating an area near Disney that is similar in scope and content is a no brainer. Night clubs, DJ's, comedy clubs, various music venues and great restaurants in a single pedestrian area. And such a place could grab the former PI crowd from Disney before they end up going all the way to Orlando or CW including Disney employees.

But yet it hasn't happened. And it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in building such a place. In fact the PI concept never has caught on anywhere! Could it be it has deep conceptual flaws inherent in the design?

To answer my own question, yes it could and does (did).

I'm not trolling, I just hate seeing people holding on to something that couldn't last. It really is time to move on. There are still plenty of places for adults to enjoy themselves on Disney property. And it doesn't take much effort to find them. Good luck.

I agree with jt in many ways. He isn't negative, he just supports another point of view and he always has sound logic. This board is for discussions and needs different opinions. I really like all of PI, but things have to change. Hopefully we see something like it in the future....

:kiss:

SirGoofy

Except...*gasp* CityWalk!

Not to mention PI WAS profitable from all accounts.

71jason

In fact the PI concept never has caught on anywhere! Could it be it has deep conceptual flaws inherent in the design?

In addition to CityWalk, in Florida alone, there's Channelside in Tampa, OceanWalk in Daytona, something very similar down in Lauderdale (where the Howl at the Moon is located)... Church St. Station, which as far as I know invented the concept, made a nice go of it downtown until the Mouse set out to kill it.

And Pleasure Island itself--which was really the pinnacle--was incredibly successful when its owners supported it, and still surprisingly successful when they didn't.

Been saying this over a year now, the closing of PI had nothing to do with the concept of the Island--it had to do with WDW's desire to be a landlord rather than run hotels/restaurants/theme parks. Cheer the closing of PI now, you best stay silent when they start outsourcing in the middle of Magic Kingdom.

jt04

In addition to CityWalk, in Florida alone, there's Channelside in Tampa, OceanWalk in Daytona, something very similar down in Lauderdale (where the Howl at the Moon is located)... Church St. Station, which as far as I know invented the concept, made a nice go of it downtown until the Mouse set out to kill it.

And Pleasure Island itself--which was really the pinnacle--was incredibly successful when its owners supported it, and still surprisingly successful when they didn't.

Been saying this over a year now, the closing of PI had nothing to do with the concept of the Island--it had to do with WDW's desire to be a landlord rather than run hotels/restaurants/theme parks. Cheer the closing of PI now, you best stay silent when they start outsourcing in the middle of Magic Kingdom.

PI was unique from all the enterprises you mention. It was not CSS and CW etc are really different designs.

See, my opinion is that Disney is purposely moving at the pace they are moving and the reasons will be clear someday.

And then you will see everything for what it is. You might want to read the OP again.

wilsonhanks

PI was unique from all the enterprises you mention. It was not CSS and CW etc are really different designs.

See, my opinion is that Disney is purposely moving at the pace they are moving and the reasons will be clear someday.

And then you will see everything for what it is. You might want to read the OP again.

Snap!!!!!!!!!!! Take that Jason71!!! :D

Besides, doesn't the outsourcing really work in EPCOT??

Where is Stitch when u need him!!!

:D

jt04

Except...*gasp* CityWalk!

Not to mention PI WAS profitable from all accounts.

It might have been profitable, but why be profitable when you can be PROFITABLE? And that comes by offering a more compelling product. Which I predict will be what happens at DTD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom