Changes at DTD

jt04

Not sure what you mean here, but the only conflict would be with reality.

Money-wise, PI overall was profitable, even after Disney stripped it of its unique show elements (live bands, Xplosion Dancers, fireworks), stopped all promotion, and failed to capitalize on potential revenue streams (e.g. merchandise). Specifically, the AC and Motion were profitable, Mannequins was very profitable, and 8-Trax was obscenely profitable.* These are facts even Kevin Lansberry admitted to the Sentinel.

Crowd-wise, a steady stream of obvious club-goers still show up every weekend, and the bartenders get asked about the clubs at least a half a dozen times a night, despite the fact they closed almost a year ago. The last time Disney DID promote PI--the "Carpe PM" promotion around Spring 2007 IIRC--the place was always packed. And that's not even including the AC, an attraction that only the Mansion and Pirates can rival for a cult following. I guarantee if the clubs re-opened tomorrow, PI would have a crowd by next weekend.

*[Of course, I would think any profit, however small, is better than letting the buildings sit there depreciating, literally rotting away, from both business and show perspectives. But I'm neither an MBA nor an Imagineer.]

I think the future DTD will have more that appeals to larger demographics. Not feature areas that "lock out" the main customer base, namely families. When more developed, folks leaving the parks and who don't want to just go to their hotels will be told all about the fun options at DTD. It will work much better than the PI concept ever did IMO. They better add more parking as part of the plan.

SirGoofy

I think the future DTD will have more that appeals to larger demographics. Not feature areas that "lock out" the main customer base, namely families. When more developed, folks leaving the parks and who don't want to just go to their hotels will be told all about the fun options at DTD. It will work much better than the PI concept ever did IMO. They better add more parking as part of the plan.

It's still BS that there's no place for adults.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Ummmm.....Walt Disney World is for Everyone!:):lol:
unless you want to go dancing...and don't point out ADH because it's stuck in a constant wedding setting, trying to appeal to both older and younger generations and no one goes there because they don't promote it

themoose

I really have no use for DTD. I only went to look at the scenery (I am a landscape architect). The shopping is good for really little kids and then adults. I am right in between the two. It would be nice to see more attractions and maybe an 18+ club. They forget that college students do go there for spring break.

71jason

I think the future DTD will have more that appeals to larger demographics.

That's an interesting opinion (one not supported by a shred of evidence that I've seen, but certainly interesting). However it does not address PI's alleged lack of "viability."

When more developed, folks leaving the parks and who don't want to just go to their hotels will be told all about the fun options at DTD.

You mean BOTH the cigar bar AND the tequila bar? There's nothing specifically family-friendly coming there, JT. Never was, that was the PR guys, not the planners. And for the record, most families do want to go to their hotels after the parks. PI was always primarily directed at the 1 in 6 guests without kids (although many parents did use sitters)--like the golf courses and Victoria & Albert's, or on the other side of the spectrum Pooh's Playful Spot, there is nothing wrong with that.

They better add more parking as part of the plan.

You do know that there are football field-sized lots behind the West Side that are barely ever used, right? Last time I saw them full was late last September...

jt04

That's an interesting opinion (one not supported by a shred of evidence that I've seen, but certainly interesting). However it does not address PI's alleged lack of "viability."

It didn't do as well as the Marketplace and it just divided guests from the West End. Two reasons, nothing going on in PI during the daytime and locked down to anyone with children at night. That is why they built a pathway around PI at night but it was a failure. It worked in function but many people didn't want to use it at night. Another reason PI underperformed the Marketplace was that it was essentially closed much of the business day.

You do know that there are football field-sized lots behind the West Side that are barely ever used, right? Last time I saw them full was late last September...

We are in a recession but the Marketplace continues to draw in folks.

I believe Disney's goal is to spread the success of the Marketplace design to all parts of DTD. A lively mix of food and entertainment. And directly designed for the "after park hours crowds" but without creating a ghost town in the daytime. So essentially DTD will be "on" for 16 hours a day.

It will take time to transition what it was to what it will be. But the possibilities and potential are too obvious for Disney to miss.

So a somewhat good paralell is the transition of DCA v. 1 to DCA v. 2. I don't hear DL fans complaing about it taking so many years cause they are not all emotionally involved with any specific attraction that is being removed. Such as the theater they just tore down to make way for the new Little Mermaid ride.

jt04

JT, do you think there will be absolutely no ramifications for having no adult only offerings at WDW?

I think there are and will be adult offerings. Everybody keeps making sarcastic comments like, "a cigar bar, real family friendly :rolleyes:". There are and will be many individual options for adults in DTD that kids won't be allowed in. But entire areas won't be blocked off. It appears the one thing Disney wants out of however, is the modern "club scene". It just creates an atmosphere that many guests won't go near. Mainly loud young people acting that way.

That said, I'm an advocate of a PG-13 rated comedy club and the AC remaining. But it's possible there just aren't enough comedians out there who do not rely totally on blue material. Comedy has been so bastardized. Crying shame. :(

Duckberg

YOU can always go downtown, NO!

DTD is a real PROBLEM for the folks @ WDW when you have a large amount of adults who have nowhere to go @ NIGHT! Duckberg :brick:

PS Will take Tricorder readings next weeek for life forms @ DTD :ROFLOL:

_Scar

Adults need some place to go. I'm not even 21, but my brothers and sisters wanted to go to WDW mainly for PI. (they're a bit older)

71jason

We are in a recession but the Marketplace continues to draw in folks.

I believe Disney's goal is to spread the success of the Marketplace design to all parts of DTD. A lively mix of food and entertainment. And directly designed for the "after park hours crowds" but without creating a ghost town in the daytime. So essentially DTD will be "on" for 16 hours a day.

Crowds are big on Saturdays--arrival day, when people don't want to pay full admission for a half day in a park--but fairly dead the rest of the week, especially during daylight hours (T-Rex seeming to be the only exception). And even when I do see wall-to-wall people Saturday night, very few of them are carrying WoD or Basin or RFC bags.

As for making DTD a "daytime attraction," why would they? WDW already has 4 major daytime attractions that get a hefty cover charge, as well as numerous profitable activities at the hotel. I'm sure WDW prefers that DTD remain a ghost town during the day, which it surely will when its main offerings are a show, a movie theater, and full-service restaurants.

jt04

Crowds are big on Saturdays--arrival day, when people don't want to pay full admission for a half day in a park--but fairly dead the rest of the week, especially during daylight hours (T-Rex seeming to be the only exception). And even when I do see wall-to-wall people Saturday night, very few of them are carrying WoD or Basin or RFC bags.

As for making DTD a "daytime attraction," why would they? WDW already has 4 major daytime attractions that get a hefty cover charge, as well as numerous profitable activities at the hotel. I'm sure WDW prefers that DTD remain a ghost town during the day, which it surely will when its main offerings are a show, a movie theater, and full-service restaurants.

Days would mainly be locals and DVC'rs , evenings (after the parks close) would be more mixed.

jt04

Adults need some place to go. I'm not even 21, but my brothers and sisters wanted to go to WDW mainly for PI. (they're a bit older)

So you are not 21? Never would have guessed. :lookaroun

Kidding.

DTD will have everything PI had. Except AC, CW and clubs.

:lol:

71jason

DTD will have everything PI had. Except AC, CW and clubs.

:lol:

And fireworks. And live bands. And unique stores that sell more than plush and T-shirts. And a fun, upbeat atmosphere.

As for locals and DVCers driving DTD business during the day...most locals work, and most DVCers probably bought down here because they enjoy the parks. It's not like Saratoga or OKW is the Four Seasons, their main selling points were always proximity to the parks, which are going to be the vast majority of all guests' focus during the day.

jt04

And fireworks. And live bands. And unique stores that sell more than plush and T-shirts. And a fun, upbeat atmosphere.

As for locals and DVCers driving DTD business during the day...most locals work, and most DVCers probably bought down here because they enjoy the parks. It's not like Saratoga or OKW is the Four Seasons, their main selling points were always proximity to the parks, which are going to be the vast majority of all guests' focus during the day.

But the Marketplace does very well during the daytime. Who are all those people? :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom