Catch a falling star.. 7/18

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I have been saying from the get go that this is a 4 week project barring anything unforseen. I would bet there will not be much left of the support structure - if any at all by the time of your vacation.

In all reality based upon where they are at right now, another 2 - 3 weeks looks perfectly reasonable for completion. The steel should come down much quicker than some people seem to think.

I think 2 factors may slow it down, but it certainly wont take excessively long. First, as it goes down the structure gets wider, which just means more pieces to cut up and thus more time.

Second - the hardest part - the parts driven into the ground. There's some ratio for tall structure about how far down you have to go for how tall it is. That ratio escapes me, but it's pretty hefty. There should be a significant amount of Wand sunk deep in the soil, and digging it out plus cutting it up will take longer.

jmvd20

I think 2 factors may slow it down, but it certainly wont take excessively long. First, as it goes down the structure gets wider, which just means more pieces to cut up and thus more time.

Second - the hardest part - the parts driven into the ground. There's some ratio for tall structure about how far down you have to go for how tall it is. That ratio escapes me, but it's pretty hefty. There should be a significant amount of Wand sunk deep in the soil, and digging it out plus cutting it up will take longer.

True that it gets wider but that is also closer to the ground, and the sections of steel are much easier to rig, and lower to the ground than odball shaped ribbons and letters are. The steel structure of the wand is relatively easy to remove so it will come down quickly.

There is no set ratio for how far footer, caissons etc... must go into the ground. It depends upon a number of factors, take the same structure on 10 different sites and you may have 10 different foundation plans. Even if they drove pilings down to bedrock you typically do not remove those. All of the demo's to rebuild projects I have ran we have just left things like that in place - even if a new structure is to go up in the same area. They would simply be cut off to the point they are not in the way.

SDav10495

This will definitely take up a good chunk of time...though I think what's important to most people visiting later this summer is that SSE is stripped down and photo-ready. If the tower and stars are removed quickly (as it seems likely they will be) and all that's left is some more extensive work on or below the ground, at least SSE will be almost completely nude, if not yet fully restored.

ETA: Or it may not take up any time at all, as jmvd so astutely pointed out. :D

jmvd20

I was indifferent to the wand but after seeing these pictures with most of the sparkly stuff removed I have come to realize once again how out of place that thing was. I now remember why I couldn't stand it the first time I saw it. I guess that is just proof that you get used to things after some time passes by.

goofntink

The ones that are missing in the one pic were taken off once it was set on the ground. How do I know,:lookaroun ...shhhh...I'll show you all when I get home later today.:D

ToTBellHop

:wave: Merf...no pics today???? That's the highlight of my entire day!!!
seriously, it's 11:28. There should be at least 100 pictures up by now. I'm sure Merf has been building up to this day all week, and is, in fact, scaling Spaceship Earth as we speak to get some great shots...and to take a sample from the burn marks up top on the geosphere to ascertain just how serious of a burn we are talking about...my bet is on superficial, but only the merf will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom