Catch a falling star.. 7/18

jmvd20

Has anyone considered the fact that the wand may be totally removed, however they won't both to removed the actual concrete footers.. They'll just mask it with foliage?

Quite a few times actually, a few pages back is where I mentioned it last. :wave:

The construction footers were there before the wand, and they will be there after the wand.

What was in that area before the wand?

jasondiff

MUCH larger. For 2000, it was an impressive statement. When they switched to Epcot with the toothpaste, it became "eh" for me.

I agree. The 2000 was whimsical, and fit in with the celebration and other aspects of it (ToN for example). I didn't like the Epcot because of the typeface. How many different typefaces do they need for the name of the park?

ToTBellHop

I agree. The 2000 was whimsical, and fit in with the celebration and other aspects of it (ToN for example). I didn't like the Epcot because of the typeface. How many different typefaces do they need for the name of the park?
that's the dumb thing...I like the logo that has the C orbiting around the o. Shoulda just used that and left the toothpaste in the medicine cabinet.

TheDisneyMagic

Well with the wand on it's way down, that is one less font we have to worry about, I also like to logo with the C going around to O and I also like the old EPCOT Center font aswell, hopefully they use these two instead of the font used on the wand on merchanside.

SirNim

Well with the wand on it's way down, that is one less font we have to worry about, I also like to logo with the C going around to O and I also like the old EPCOT Center font aswell, hopefully they use these two instead of the font used on the wand on merchanside.
Why not blend the best parts of each different logo into one new one?

:lookaroun
:lookaroun

CrashNet

The only trouble with this is its not EPCOT anymore. They have to take into consideration that its simply a trademark now and not also an acronym.

Expo_Seeker40

The thing about the "flower blossom of tomorrow" aka EPCOT Center logo is really geared toward Future World.

The center of the flower is SSE, and the other 5 rings represent the 5 Future World Pavilions from opening day: Energy, Motion, Imagination, Land, and Communicore. I saw neat graphic of it some time ago with the pavilion logos in each ring.

The World Showcase logo is the compass rose, which is still featured quite well in banners, on trashcans, etc.

I think they could easily do the same with the Future World logo, as well as have perhaps two flags before you get to the check in area out front. One flag has the future world logo the other has the world showcase logo.

They could also go back to the idea of branding of a pavilion with a logo, just make them newer designs.

As far as the Epcot font...the 1994-1998 very bland font that they used aka the one at the park's dedication plaque..really needs to be fased out.

I like the epcot with the globe logo...yet there was something sleek..and modern about the original 1982 font...but I can see where sirnim is coming from and I like it! :wave:

But it lookes like Mr. C is saying OMG why the hell am I next to the flower power logo...and the flower power logo is saying f-u I'm much more cool looking than you..and Mr. C is like C is for cool...so bite me...and instead Mr. C begins to eat at the flower power logo...meanwhile the EP and T are like w/e dude....o_O

SirNim

But it lookes like Mr. C is saying OMG why the hell am I next to the flower power logo...and the flower power logo is saying f-u I'm much more cool looking than you..and Mr. C is like C is for cool...so bite me...and instead Mr. C begins to eat at the flower power logo...meanwhile the EP and T are like w/e dude....o_O
Now that you mention it... :lol:

BTW, the words "Disney's" and "Park" are utterly unnecessary and merely constitute a parody of the excessive over-branding so characteristic of the company's recent policies. I say bring back the original '82 logo rendered in all capitals, "Center" and all, seeing as I've yet to read an article in a newspaper/magazine or talk to an acquaintance which or who does not refer to Epcot as "EPCOT Center."

Expo_Seeker40

Disney could really do a neat, but small 25th anniversary campaign that says "The 21st century is 25 years old". I would bet that for nearly every guest that heard that, they would go seek more information to find out what that means. :king:

25 years of inspEARation

A silver year in achivements of technology, hope, and dreams.

Hey look Ma, no wand!

I have argued this before, but I still think EPCOT Center is still relevant.

EPCOT is still an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow...sure it is not a community of buildings, peoples, and banks....but is a community of technology, culture, trade, and dreams and stands as the center of not only walt disney world *as it once was*, but rather as the center of inspiration and driving force to showcase to guests that the disney company and others can present hope for today so that beyond that horizon, the sun may bring with it a beautiful tomorrow.

EPCOT Center is something the disney company should be proud of. Walt Disney did not just let his company mingle on pixie dust and mickey mouse, he branched out and did different things to show that his company could do more than just make princesses have happy endings or elephants fly, they could create "magic" in the real world.

That is why so many of us epcot purists...like EPCOT Center...not because we wish everything could be punched into a Macontosh and saved on 9 and 1/2 inch floppy disks, but we are proud of the message that it brought and can still bring even today....entertain...inform...inspire. Epcot (2007) entertains and informs us....but does it inspire like it used to?

So I say the EPCOT Center name could easily come back....it won't mean 1982...but rather a new era of entertaining, informing, and inspiring.

Because Epcot means nothing...EPCOT Center means so much more.

JWG

Wow, just by this picture I noticed something. As the wand structure slowly goes away, Spaceship Earth looks much larger now as it used to be. Anybody else notice this?

Yes, I thin once the Mickey hands are gone... SSE will look huge again. We're there July 22-29 so can't wait to see it.

jasondiff

BTW, the words "Disney's" and "Park" are utterly unnecessary and merely constitute a parody of the excessive over-branding so characteristic of the company's recent policies. I say bring back the original '82 logo rendered in all capitals, "Center" and all, seeing as I've yet to read an article in a newspaper/magazine or talk to an acquaintance which or who does not refer to Epcot as "EPCOT Center."

Or even a map. Why does EPCOT Center Drive take you to somewhere other than EPCOT Center?

ToTBellHop

really? Everyone I know calls it Epcot...

Figment82

I call the current logo the "Hungry C" because, as you mentioned, it looks like the C is about to eat the O. I'm not a big fan of the current logo.

jessfriends

That is why so many of us epcot purists...like EPCOT Center...not because we wish everything could be punched into a Macontosh and saved on 9 and 1/2 inch floppy disks, but we are proud of the message that it brought and can still bring even today....entertain...inform...inspire. Epcot (2007) entertains and informs us....but does it inspire like it used to?

So I say the EPCOT Center name could easily come back....it won't mean 1982...but rather a new era of entertaining, informing, and inspiring.

Because Epcot means nothing...EPCOT Center means so much more.

ITA, very well put!!! :D

SDav10495

The thing about the "flower blossom of tomorrow" aka EPCOT Center logo is really geared toward Future World.

The center of the flower is SSE, and the other 5 rings represent the 5 Future World Pavilions from opening day: Energy, Motion, Imagination, Land, and Communicore. I saw neat graphic of it some time ago with the pavilion logos in each ring.

Can anyone confirm this? That's a cool story, but something about it doesn't feel right to me. I guess I just don't think the original logo was designed without taking into consideration the 2 later pavilions already being set aside and built for EPCOT Center (Horizons and the Living Seas were both under construction even as EPCOT opened, at least if you count the mound of dirt that waiting almost 4 years to become "earth" so it would support the Seabase Alpha tank). In fact, concept art for the park's entrance plaza has the lucite fountain actually consisting of eight sculptures instead of the three we know (knew)--they have the "flower" logo surrounded by 7 pavilions, so they were not in fact forgotten in the park's original design. So I'm not sure the logo was designed with any specific number of pavilions in mind. The "five" might not mean anything at all--perhaps it was just the best configuration of rings. (I don't doubt that you actually saw that graphic relating each pavilion to a ring, but something tells me it was produced because it looked nice and not so much as a reflection of the original design idea of the "flower" logo.)

Why rings and a globe? I've always just taken it to mean that EPCOT (the logo's globe) was in the center of everything--of Walt Disney World, of planet Earth, of the universe. When I look at the rings I see people connecting and interacting around the world (a driving concept behind both Future World and World Showcase), all being bound by EPCOT Center the park and EPCOT Center the vision. I have no idea whether or not the original designers would phrase it that way, but that's at least the feeling I think they were trying to get across.

Aesthetically, yes, the "flower" logo is much more tied to the pavilions of Future World than those of World Showcase...the former had logos with the same line weights and design sensibilities, and the latter had no real logos at all! (Well, aside from their uniquely stylized names.) But conceptually, I think the logo was carefully designed to stand for all of EPCOT, and not just Future World.

That was perhaps longer than it needed to be :rolleyes:, but does it make any sense? Again, most of it is going on hunch, but there's also some evidence there.

Figment82

From WDWMagic's WDW Facts Page:

The logo symbolizes unity, fellowship and harmony around the world. The five outer rings are linked to form the shape of a flower - a celebration of life. The heart of the logo represents the Earth embraced by a star symbolizing hope - the hope that with imagination, commitment and dedication we can create a better tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom