News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Wall-e

One more thing I noticed…this entire land seems sunk down to the level of the concrete of the river.

Also…it seems water and waterfalls will be integral to this area. The arrow is pointing in what I believe is the direction the concept art of the ride is showing (which is around the are of the current boat dock). Once you are on the ride you will be immersed in an interesting environment.

1723475244361.jpeg

1723475256675.jpeg

djkidkaz

Seeing the artwork, I'm not sure what to think. TSI and ROA are a huge waste of space and putting an attraction on that space is fine by me, however the river adds atmosphere, ambience and a nice change from nothing but concrete elsewhere. I hope the Cars ride does incorporate water and a little river somehow.

The concept art for cars AND villains shows a lot of water features. They even talk about slashing in puddles on the cars ride. There will be plenty of water effects for the water they are replacing.

Mike S

Yet somehow totally fine for DL. That's what irks me the most - even if they are going with completely idiotic shortsighted reasons for these changes, at least be consistent. Stop treating MK like a second class citizen and letting DL keep its history. That's total crap.
Playing devils advocate perhaps they’re trying to distinguish Magic Kingdom from Disneyland with this.

I very much don’t like this either. It’s going to look terrible up against Haunted Mansion.

James Alucobond

My personal hope is that if they keep any of the river, even if narrowed, they keep it as marked in red here. This way all three entrances to Frontierland/Liberty Square have the water as a buffer directly in the guests' sightline to the "wilderness/forest" area they're going for with Cars. Both Liberty Square and Frontierland are going to need a significant thematic buffer. As a bonus, the Liberty Belle could stay permadocked there.

Sadly, this does not seem to be the plan, but we all know things can and have changed.

View attachment 808629
It looks like some portion west of the Liberty Belle dock is at least preserved. Note the cascades coming off Piston Peak and the small section of the boardwalk (which I presume is still passing over water) in the lower left section of the artwork.

zann285

On a related note: it is WILD how much the Overton window has shifted on what can be changed, cut and reconfigured at the parks.

Things like retheming Splash Mountain and nuking RoA feel like ideas that would never have been seriously considered by the company even 10 years ago. Nothing is safe or sacred anywhere now.
For all the talk of how problematic the West was, all of the other lands in Magic Kingdom set in the past also have similar problems occurring at the heart of them. Sure there may be ways to do stories around that for now, but if one were to honestly use the same sort of appraisal that makes Frontierland problematic, then its hard to see why everything outside of Tomorrowland isn't also problematic.

erasure fan1

I understand nostalgia for RoA. I do. I have it myself. I’ve loved it. But the park isn’t really losing anything critical to it’s existence and identity here.

This was never sacred ground here. I do feel the image of a river and riverboat is indeed a fixture and foundation of Disney iconography, just that that comes from a completely different park.
That's the whole thing for me. It's 100% the imagery and kinetic energy of the riverboat that's important to the Magic Kingdom. So if they can keep the rivers of America and not just permanently dock the boat, I'm good. TSI, while I like the fact that it's there, and looking across to the island. I can't remember the last time we went over. So I agree, it seems more important to Disneyland than world. I know people love it, but if I'm going to have to lose something, TSI would be the least bothersome to me anyway.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm gonna be real with ya'll. As a more recent Disney fan and parksgoer. I do not care about ROA at all. Filling it in does not make me think "this is Six Flags now" because thats an insane statement. Six Flags also has rivers with boats in them even! Tom Sawyer Island was kinda cool as a rest area but it was definitely a one and done thing and kinda took you out of whatever you were doing. This adds some nice needed capacity in some prime real estate that was just being taken up by water. I know there are people who care about it and I do understand it's sad but the average parkgoer does not care as much as you probably think they do. A new cars attraction might make someone change their trip to Disney, not a river with a few boats in it.
I'm guessing you're the guy who asked "How can Epcot be a Disney park without any Disney characters in it?" ;)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think the dynamic of the riverboat brings a certain energy/motion that adds to the atmosphere. On the other hand new experiences. On either hand Cars in that part of the park is stupid.

djkidkaz

View attachment 808599

More fun speculation. But what you might get is all the river below the red line filled in. The river above that will stay in some fashion.

The poorly chosen color of purple I used is probably the start of Villains land somehow. You saw some river/water at the bottom of the concept art.

Mickey Views has a real nice layout of how it all should fit. It’s an older post but it does seem to all make sense and match up with what has been discussed.

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 264

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom