News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DCLcruiser

HM isn't on the art either. Generally you don't take the time to draw irrelevant parts outside of what you're trying to portray.
The teal queue canopy from HM.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 11.25.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 11.28.01 AM.png

SplashJacket

I guarantee the day they announce a replacement for the Speedway, the exact same complaining we're seeing today will be made about that too.
That’s just false.

People will be complaining that their kids liked it. Some people are complaining about TSI, but mostly everything is complaining about the ruined views.

A speedway replacement makes the area infinitely more visually interesting. A RoA makes it far less visually appealing, or lateral, at best.

mightynine

So, what are we thinking here, a renaming of Frontierland on the level of "World (Vague Descriptor)"? Westernland? Vertical Integration Kingdom - West?

UNCgolf

I don't actually care about losing Tom Sawyer Island (and god, please demolish the Tomorrowland Speedway and replace it with something worthwhile), but eliminating the river entirely and replacing that whole area with Cars will make the MK a significantly less pleasant place to visit.

When they changed the castle hub to the current version, the park lost some serenity/aesthetics, but that will seem incredibly minor to the whole riverfront disappearing.

When do they fill in the EPCOT lagoon for more development space?

doctornick

Maybe it’s just me but I really don’t feel that “the park’s legacy” argument works here.

This isn’t Disneyland. MK’s version of Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island et all has never, ever been on the level of importance or significance that Disneyland’s is. Unlike Disneyland’s version, this particular corner of the park gets really ignored beyond it just being a way to get to the rides in the area people care about.

The RoA and riverboat are deeply integral part of Disneyland’s identity, especially with Fantasmic! being performed there and it’s co-relationship with other nearby attractions. That has NEVER been the case for Magic Kingdom. It has never been a highlighted point of the park, has never been held up as one of its sacred jewels. It has always just been “Disneyland has it so we do too.”

MK’s version of Frontierland has been incredibly weak for decades. Among the worst (if not THE worst in the world, bottom two). It getting a massive overhaul I feel has been an inevitability for ages.

I understand nostalgia for RoA. I do. I have it myself. I’ve loved it. But the park isn’t really losing anything critical to it’s existence and identity here.

This was never sacred ground here. I do feel the image of a river and riverboat is indeed a fixture and foundation of Disney iconography, just that that comes from a completely different park.

If you want to knock this from a thematic point of view, I’ll gladly join that. I don’t think Cars really belongs here either. But I really also cannot start to pretend that MK’s RoA or TSI is or ever has been important to this park, let alone a part of its legacy.

MK's TSI is so much better than the DL equivalent. Just because a lot of people are foolish to not enjoy it doesn't mean it has no value.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom