News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

SoFloMagic

I'll be shocked if the Cars attraction ends up as the top ride at WDW; I think it'll be tough for it to even make the top 3 at Magic Kingdom.

I do think it will be good, though.
I meant at first, but I'd also wager it will be the toughest ILL to get for years. Just look at the ride at DCA

erasure fan1

Muppets is going away for the same reason - it's always empty
It's a huge theater. My wife and I are huge muppet fans so we do muppet vision multiple multiple times a trip. I've never seen it empty. Sure it doesn't get lines like it used to. Although it was about 80% full when we were there last summer. And it still holds up remarkably well. Guests are are always laughing and enjoying the show. As has been said, there's no need to deep six it at this point in time. Not with how embarrassing the studios is right now.
Walt Disney once said, "Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland... the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine"

Doesn’t sound like he would be a fan of ripping out iconic lands and attractions, when there was enough land to build them elsewhere.
You got it. And the people talking about, "they need the land for future expansion". I don't buy it. They have plenty of space to add if they are smart about it. And after all this, what are the odds of them doing anything else in the next couple decades anyway.

lazyboy97o

And in a park that averages over 50k a day. So less than 30% of guests will be able to even experience it, if no one gets any re-rides at all. That’s potentially a lot of disappointed guests. Of course people will just scream, “people should just buy a LL.” As if there will be enough to go around.

And I thought putting a popular 15K per day ride in a 35K per day park was bad.
This would be the case for pretty much any project. It’s not actually realistic to develop an attraction that everyone visiting on a given day can experience. It’s an issue that scales so it’s a challenge even for parks with less, but healthy, attendance. Healthy is the operative word because Disney did design parks where you had to and could do everything in a day and it doesn’t really work. Not everything will appeal to everyone and you want to offer variety.

This quote from Eddie Sotto was over decade ago and reflects information he learned earlier while at Disney. So even then major headliners weren’t being visited by the majority of guests.
I was surprised to hear from a senior operations director that Space Mountain only gets 20 percent of the attendance.

UNCgolf

I meant at first, but I'd also wager it will be the toughest ILL to get for years. Just look at the ride at DCA

Yeah, but the one at DCA is in a park lacking in other top attractions (for the moment) and is one of the best rides around. Based on concept art, this one doesn't seem like it will be as impressive as RSR, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Regardless, I'm sure you're right that the ILL will sell out for a long time.

basas

But people DO go there. Just because you personally don’t doesn’t mean no one does. And as I said, even if you don’t go on the island, you benefit from the atmosphere and immersion it creates, the beautiful views it generates. You can’t recreate that with a thick forested treeline and the sound of talking race cars muffled behind them.

Honestly, I’m not sure how many *more* people could go there even if they wanted to given the limited capacity of the rafts. I think that’s how it was designed. If you have young children and you haven’t spent an hour letting them run around TSI before, try it before it’s gone. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Chef idea Mickey`=

No one can explain why ROA/TSI should even remain other than it’s already there. The place is a ghost town.
I can the Riverboat to me is beautiful because it lives through the park and resort in a time which it represents an era that is long decades ago and the ship one way didn't have to exist anymore as a real running. Yes it's on a track but it still chimes with smoke. It's as even more a beautiful thing than The Castle. People would riot for the Castle but the castle is still fantasy.

SoFloMagic

Yeah, but the one at DCA is in a park lacking in other top attractions (for the moment) and is one of the best rides around. Based on concept art, this one doesn't seem like it will be as impressive as RSR, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Regardless, I'm sure you're right that the ILL will sell out for a long time.
Fair. I'm biased toward DCA because Guardians Bouncy Tower and incredicoaster are two of my favorite Disney rides.

The Chatbox Ghost

Honestly, I’m not sure how many *more* people could go there even if they wanted to given the limited capacity of the rafts. I think that’s how it was designed. If you have young children and you haven’t spent an hour letting them run around TSI before, try it before it’s gone. I don’t think you’ll regret it.
I still think the option of making the rivers U shaped and turning TSI into a peninsula could work. More people would go to it and it’d still allow room for Cars and a walkway between HM and BTM.

TrainsOfDisney

I can the Riverboat to me is beautiful because it lives through the park and resort in a time which it represents an era that is long decades ago and the ship one way didn't have to exist anymore as a real running. Yes it's on a track but it still chimes with smoke. It's as even more a beautiful thing than The Castle. People would riot for the Castle but the castle is still fantasy.
Yes - Disney World and Disneyland are one of the few places where you ride a real steam powered paddle wheel on a daily basis.

Quite a bit of steam trains around - but very few steamboats. (New Orleans and Louisville KY both have one…..)

Even more rare is the horse drawn streetcar - Disneyland is the only one with true daily operations on the Continent- I don’t count WDW’s trolley parade if they feel like it operation.

Chef idea Mickey`=

No one can explain why Carsland can’t coexist alongside Liberty Square with a largely intact ROA separating the two.
They don't want the Rivers at all to help foot traffic.. I honestly think they don't want the boat either because they can't build pedestrian bridges :( They don't want to just change the Island because there's no way to have a bridge or pathway without having to boat in and out.

basas

I’m on the record as saying RSR is my favorite ride at DLR. I’d love to have it in WDW…but this isn’t the right location.

I have no doubt the new ride will get long lines. If Moana replaced Pirates it would get long lines, too. If *insert IP* replaced Haunted Mansion, I’m sure it would get long lines, too. If they mow down the castle and plop down zootopia, I’m sure it would get long lines, too. Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic, it’s just not an effective argument for me that this is a good decision.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

This^

They cram those rafts. Every time I’ve taken one there’s been at least 25 people not including the driver. And idk how many trips across they take an hour, but it’s at least 4-5. It’s way more than 400 people per day.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and anyone else’s, the max capacity for the rafts is 55 people with the ideal max capacity being 40-45. Rafts depart about every 5 minutes, and about 7-10 when they have to wait for the Liberty Belle to pass. And this isn’t me saying that every raft has 40-55 people on it, but I’ll bet an overpriced cupcake that someone will think I am.

SoFloMagic

I’m on the record as saying RSR is my favorite ride at DLR. I’d love to have it in WDW…but this isn’t the right location.

I have no doubt the new ride will get long lines. If Moana replaced Pirates it would get long lines, too. If *insert IP* replaced Haunted Mansion, I’m sure it get long lines, too. If they mow down the castle and plop down zootopia, I’m sure it get long lines, too. Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic, it’s just not an effective argument for me that this is a good decision.
Maybe we can revisit this once it's built. If they actually try to add nature in, it could be beautiful. And the waterfalls (if not budget cut) could add some of the ambiance that's being lost.

Plus I'll never blow another eardrum from that absurdly loud boat whistle.

MrPromey

The reservoirs will be outside of the park. Rivers of America is inside the park.

The park is restricted to being inside the border of the railroad unless they completely retrack it.

Why?

Is there some secret rule that Pirates, SM TBA and Space Mountain are breaking that I don't know about which says the train must circle the outer perimeter of the guest areas of the park under all circumstances?

I mean, unlike DL, our train doesn't have you face one side which means giving people on the left side something more interesting to look at wouldn't seem like the end of the world to me.

Is it about getting people across the tracks?

If so, I fail to see where that's an unsolvable problem - again looking at TBA as just one example of a solution (but over would be a doable option, too, of course.

Last edited:

basas

They don't want the Rivers at all to help foot traffic.. I honestly think they don't want the boat either because they can't build pedestrian bridges :( They don't want to just change the Island because there's no way to have a bridge or pathway without having to boat in and out.

And you can even do that and add a bridge from the CBJ area as well if you wanted to help guest flow.

I think it’s pretty clear they could make it work *if* they wanted to. Clearly they don’t…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom