News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Quietmouse

I’m not against IP’s (though I won’t deny some are). Tom Sawyer is an IP. I’m against IPs which don’t fit the appropriate theme of where they’re placed. And it seems Disney of 2024 has no problem shoehorning in IPs where they don’t belong.

Assuming frontier land isn’t changed all together.

Cars definitely fits if frontier land is changed as a whole to a more west coast theme

TinkerBelle8878

Don't know if its been mentioned but why wouldn't they put a Cars themed attraction either at the Tomorrowland raceway or where that Star Wars hotel thing that they shut down was? Seems like that was a failure anyway and close enough to DHS. Just seems to me like getting rid of an area of 'green space' that's peaceful for a lot of noise. There are ways to have both but clearly to the powers that be its one or the other. Can't have both.

I think that updating the Tomorrowland Speedway around Cars 3 is a missed opportunity. I mean, they can use the high-tech cars and the "Florida International Super Speedway" and it would fit SEAMLESSLY next to TRON. Here are some pics in case you don't know what I'm talking about:
1723515455341.png
1723515482466.png

1723515580577.png

TBH this overlay would have also worked well with Test Track but that seems like a touchy subject.

Anyway, not sure yet if I have officially formulated an opinion on Cars coming to RoA. I am excited for the new land, but I am someone that LOVED the free exploring feel of TSI.

Tha Realest

Do we think this whole plan will go the way of the CBJ Toy Story redo.

No.
The backlash to this is really bad. And they can't use the racism shield like they did with Splash.
yes they can. Look at the dialogue surrounding The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn to see how they’ll deploy it.

doctornick

Do we think this whole plan will go the way of the CBJ toy story redo. The backlash to this is really bad. And they can't use the racism shield like they did with Splash.
There’s no way they are backing off this.

I’m hoping - thought I’ll opening admits it’s extremely unlikely- that they might gain some sense and modify the plans a bit leaving the water next to LS and CBJ intact and dock the boat permanently. There’s no reason to remove all of the waterfront.

Quietmouse

I still have doubts on whether this will actually happen or not.

The fact that this is the more costlier option seems like it could be an easy budget cut if things don’t align financially at years end.

I am not sure how things are lately, but 10 years ago it was so common place to hear something announced and then disappear from existence a year later.

Again, not sure if this is past that stage or not, but I have to wonder if there a some higher up execs who control the purse strings that are weary of signing off to this project entirely still due to being the most costly option.

ednamodedarling

I still have doubts on whether this will actually happen or not.

The fact that this is the more costlier option seems like it could be an easy budget cut if things don’t align financially at years end.

I am not sure how things are lately, but 10 years ago it was so common place to hear something announced and then disappear from existence a year later.

Again, not sure if this is past that stage or not, but I have to wonder if there a some higher up execs who control the purse strings that are weary of signing off to this project entirely still due to being the most costly option.
I was under the impression this is the cheaper option. As building past the railroad would require zoning land that has not been touched or inspected in years & shutting down/potentially rerouting the railroad again.

doctornick

I was under the impression this is the cheaper option. As building past the railroad would require zoning land that has not been touched or inspected in years & shutting down/potentially rerouting the railroad again.
@PREMiERdrum indicated that there were cheaper options on the table. They chose this because they wanted to remove RoA and TSI not because it is easiest/cheapest

basas

I think it’s the ‘more expensive’ or ‘least bad’ of the options they seriously considered…or so we’ve been told…which is terrifying. Seriously makes me wonder what other ideas were being thrown around in the brainstorming session…😮

Last edited:

ednamodedarling

I am still under the belief that Moana & Coco will make their way to MK. Choosing to believe this. lol. That space to the west of the big thunder to prime real estate especially now with the river being filled. There is no reason to keep the dry dock back there for the river boat.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t think that is correct - Im honestly pretty sure that this and monsters weren’t ready to be announced but the clock was ticking and after poor investor calls they had to go all out.

Supposedly - there was land being prepared for “beyond big thunder” - obviously what Josh presented was Coco and Encanto beyond big thunder leading into villains.

Im crazy curious where this concept actually came from and why it was chosen. Yes I’m against it - but I’d love to know how it ended up getting this far down the line. Encanto, Moana, and Coco are all much more relevant franchises. Coco performed better than any of the 3 cars movies.

doctornick

Not that it's going to make people feel any better, but this was one of the costlier options pitched, and makes a broad attempt to fit the area better than most others.

Now that word is out and the dust is settling, a little more information is slipping through.

Once their original BBTM plans were scrapped, Coco's massive showbuilding precluded it from being relocated. Cars won, the ROA's fate was sealed.

Villains - despite being a disparate collection of ideas even to this date - was by far the favorite to win over the singular BBTM expansion plot. The art as shown is suggestive of theme and style but not related to a practical model. Yet.
I figured I’ll quote this for emphasis. Of note - they decided against Coco because they did not want to put the new land actually beyond BTM. They decided they wanted to destroy RoA and TSI and then settled on Cars because it could effectively be used in that location - even though the location was the more costly choice.

The cherry on top is that the higher cost also led to Moana not being approved for MK at this time. So not only do we lose existing attractions for an “expansion” but we also didn’t even get an actual new thing in a currently unused area. 🙄

spaceghost

I lament this change from an aesthetics standpoint - I have print on my wall of a photo I took of the steamboat and TSI that I adore - however, the reality is that from a capacity standpoint, that space has been severely limited and underused for an extended period of time. I know that change is hard, the but the bottom line is that MK needs more rides, to provide more capacity, to take the burden off the other attractions. This is a move that will add significant operational capacity to the MK, which will improve the experience for most guests. I will hold out hope that what goes in for Cars attractions maintain some level of theme and cohesion in that area of the park.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I can't help but think how odd the Haunted Mansion facade will look/be with these snowy mountains just to the left along with cars with faces speeding by (and the accompanying noise)... makes me wonder if they would consider realignment the entrance of Haunted Mansion, demoing the current facade, and building a new facade on the west/north west face of the elevator section of the show building and making the Haunted Mansion entrance more closely align with Villians Land (with a new queue also more directly in the Villians Land section)... could possibly do that without touching the ride at all (just the facade)... or is the Haunted Mansion facade too much of a "sacred cow" to touch?

Dear Prudence

No.

yes they can. Look at the dialogue surrounding The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn to see how they’ll deploy it.
Though with Huckleberry Finn's novel, there is no uniform consensus. BIG RIVER is getting a movie musical adaptation, the novel JAMES has been met with acclaim, and even African American literary scholars widely disagree. It's not my place to comment on that as a Non Black person, but I think it's worth noting that it's just not that simple or easy. It's where nuance and empathy is so important.

The only thing people remember about Tom Sawyer is the white washed fence and them running away to an island to be pirates. Without doxxing myself, I say this as someone who spent a childhood with other children mocking me asking if my biological father was "Injun Joe." (Aren't kids GREAT?! ROFL).

I think dialogue is great. I think nuance and empathy are great.

I also know that none of this is being done for my benefit. It's not done with guests like me in mind. It's done to sell Cars merch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom