News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Brer Panther

I'm still not opposed to a Cars ride (although I have realized that Iger's Disney can still screw one up - they managed to screw up Princess and the Frog and Ratatouille rides, after all). I am opposed to them getting rid of Tom Sawyer's Island and the Rivers of America.
They don’t care about the setting, placemaking, or atmosphere. Just shove IP in everywhere at all costs. This is a big cost. The park will never be the same.
I'm terrified that Iger has done irreversible damage to the parks, and the company as a whole...
World Showcase Lagoon does seem like it has huge potential for new Lands...
Don't give Disney any ideas.
Think upon this... now that there's another Car ride coming into MK, expect pressure to mount on repurposing the land eaten up by Tomorrowland Speedway...
With our luck, they'd probably replace the Speedway with a Wish ride.

No, wait, they'll probably stick the Wish ride in Animal Kingdom. There are animals in Wish, so it fits, right?
This is like infilling Animal Kingdom’s lagoon and building Zootopia. Ridiculous.
Again I say, don't give Disney any ideas.
The muppets in hall of presidents is what I’m guessing
I'm sorry, but I think Muppets taking over Hall of Presidents isn't such a good idea. We don't need another Under New Management.
I don't fully blame those in charge.
To quote A Bug's Life... "First rule of leadership: everything is your fault."
Promoting brands is more important than celebrating America according to Disney and Bob Iger
No wonder he hates the Muppets so much - Sam the Eagle probably hates his guts!
They should fill in World Showcase lagoon next cause ya know, what a huge waste of space! The views are all nostalgia, people need to get over it. Give us Hercules’ Greece Adventure or Luca’s Vespa Journey!
Now you're thinking like a Disney executive.
Can we not be excited no more for new things for Disney World because any sign of expansion at this point is always unnecessary. MOANA will not be necessary when it decides to replace The Jungle Cruise which is by all means cracking.
It's awful that now I'm more afraid of what Iger will do to ruin the parks next than excited about new investments. Even the Monsters Inc. land I'm worried is gonna replace the Muppets.
If only they had a popular franchise with a cowboy character they could have used here instead.
I don't think we need any more Toy Story rides. Unless they're in Toy Story Land, obviously.
Yes , I get it, IP is popular, merch sells, the kids like it. But the parks used to be about a higher quality standard. Putting things that made sense in their respective areas. Sorry, but to me Encanto & Indy are still very much a reach for AK, as is Cars for MK.
There's a story that @Magenta Panther has told on this site a lot about Walt: apparently, somebody in merchandising kept badgering Walt to put multiple t-shirt shops all over Disneyland. Walt didn't like the idea. After the guy said "T-shirts make a lot of money, Walt" for a third time, Walt snapped, "Mr. [WHOEVER], the tail does not wag the dog!"

In Iger's Disney, the tail DOES wag the dog. That tail is marketing, merchandising, and how to destroy stuff that they're too cheap and/or lazy to keep running. At this rate we're probably going to get an Inside Out retheme of Space Mountain too.

SoFloMagic

Something to that effect. It certainly is the rallying cry of those that want to see everything change. Little known and never repeated though is that he also said:

I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.
I hope they keep the boat and use it elsewhere. And that they put photos of TSI in wilderness lodge. It's a cool island and it's incredible that it's in the middle of one of the top theme parks in the world.

But with all of us complaining about overcrowding, this added capacity should be cheered by all.

MrPromey

Like shoving a Dino Coaster next to a Harry Potter Land and masking it with a few bushes. Wait...who are we talking about?
pew pew finger guns GIF
A company that used put effort into doing better in their parks than Universal?

A company whose fans at one time, wouldn't have pointed to examples at Universal to justify bad decisions on their choices but would instead point to those things at Universal as justifying why they preferred going there instead of Universal, maybe?

Guessing you didn't mean to but I think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head, here. :)

doctornick

TSI can go IMO, but Liberty Square and Frontierland as currently designed simply won't work without the river there. They'll need to be completely overhauled without the waterfront because everything will feel strange/out of place.

I don't know why they didn't just leave a small river, dock the riverboat there, and have the waterfront remain as-is just for that fronting stretch of LS and Frontierland.
This. I’m hoping that cooler heads will prevail and they’ll do this.

basas

Or... It's an island that gets 400 visitors a day being replaced by two rides that will be experienced by 15,000 a day.

But you know, stir the culture wars pot instead if ya want

Do you have backup for that stat? And the riverboat? They cram a lot of guests on there mid-afternoon.

Don’t blame me for “stirring the culture wars pot”, blame Disney.

Last edited:

WDWhopper

Didnt walt say somethink like "the park shouldn't me a museum and should continue to evolve"?
Walt Disney once said, "Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland... the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine"

Doesn’t sound like he would be a fan of ripping out iconic lands and attractions, when there was enough land to build them elsewhere.

hopemax

So did some back of the envelope math. RSR’s theoretical hourly capacity is about 1,500 per hour. Let’s say they get ten good working hours in a day - not unreasonable given finicky nature of RSR and the Florida weather. That’s about 15,000 just for that ride. Unclear what the other ride will be, or it’s throughput capacity, but that’s a lot of money and effort (build cost plus environmental expenses) for this increase.
And in a park that averages over 50k a day. So less than 30% of guests will be able to even experience it, if no one gets any re-rides at all. That’s potentially a lot of disappointed guests. Of course people will just scream, “people should just buy a LL.” As if there will be enough to go around.

And I thought putting a popular 15K per day ride in a 35K per day park was bad.

FerretAfros

This is interesting. The is the proposed conditions map that was used to design the new storm water control improvements. The "D" color is designated as "impervious" land. Water is marked in blue, and it's interesting to note that the entire river is gone except the one small part. I thought this might be because the river has a concrete bottom, but the second picture shows it as water not impervious.

View attachment 808904

View attachment 808906
I'm not familiar with Florida's stormwater code specifically, but this appears to be more of a future-proofing exercise than reflective of any meaningful plans.

Typically, stormwater management is required when the ground cover changes from pervious (forested, landscaped, grass, etc.) to impervious (buildings, roads, walkways, treated pools/water features, etc.), in order to capture the additional runoff from rainfall that is no longer absorbed by the soil. This is done to protect the downstream channels from erosion with high-velocity flows, and from flooding with increased runoff volume. Essentially the goal is to make sure the post-developed runoff doesn't increase and cause problems on someone else's property or for the natural systems.

The exact type of stormwater management facility can vary from surface ponds and canals to restored wetlands to underground vaults, but they all function in a similar manner: as a holding facility to detain the additional runoff and release it slowly over an extended period of time, reducing the peak flow rate. Similarly, these can be small facilities designed to capture a single project (say, a new restaurant) or large regional facilities to include future development with known or unknown designs (like and office park or residential subdivision that will get built-out over several years).

Given that the existing ROA is part of the existing stormwater management network, removing and replacing its capacity will be a large undertaking. A smaller-scale but similar project was undertaken ahead of the Tron construction to modify the ponds on the east side of the park, and even that was expensive and time consuming. While earthmoving is a costly operation, the incremental cost of increasing the size of a facility you're building anyway is relatively small, since so much of the cost is associated with design & permitting, getting crews out, and simply moving the dirt around; a facility that's 20% larger may only cost 5% more.

With that in mind, it makes sense that they want to use a regional facility that assumes the entire park is impervious. This will be a once-in-a-generation stormwater project anyway, so why not make sure that all the bases are covered for the foreseeable future. Realistically, it removes the stormwater management burden from small projects like walkway widening, restaurant expansions, and (yes) new DVC kiosks, which is probably the primary goal of the project. But it would also allow larger changes, like finally putting that climate-controlled dome over the entire park.

I wouldn't read too much into the image showing the entire park as impervious surface as meaning they have concrete plans to do that. It's just allowing them the flexibility to do whatever they want in that area in the future (at least, until a major revision to the stormwater code), without having to modify the stormwater system each and every time.

GenChi

I'm 90% convinced they could announce they are demolishing the castle tomorrow to add Zootopia police chase ride and we'd still have people on these sites justify why it's a good thing because the castle doesn't have a 1 hour wait to enter, is an old outdated thing that can be replaced with new ip, it isn't a real ride and large waste of space themeing isn't important, that Walt said the park isn't finished, etc

basas

I'm sure it will have less traffic than the doors coaster. But it isn't on the same level as tsi. It's been mostly full every time I've went. Its serves much more of a purpose in hs than tsi does in mk. And it's not like I have some special affinity for muppets, I just think it'll be a loss of capacity that they don't need.

Not sure I agree with that…

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I'm 90% convinced they could announce they are demolishing the castle tomorrow to add Zootopia police chase ride and we'd still have people on these sites justify why it's a good thing because the castle doesn't have a 1 hour wait to enter, is an old outdated thing that can be replaced with new ip, it isn't a real ride and large waste of space themeing isn't important, that Walt said the park isn't finished, etc
This thread's like 90% pearl-clutching and hyperbole.

fgmnt

It would be good for the park to have as an addition, even if I think a coaster isn't really the ideal build for DHS at the moment (it needs multiple attractions that will draw from a wider base)
Not exactly the thread for this discussion, but the Door Coaster should be seen as a pressure relief valve specifically for Slinky Dog Dash. In MK, the 5 new attractions that will open over a decade will serve any group of guests pretty well.

basas

guest.services@disneyworld.com
I called as well
I also know of 3 Imagineers that I wrote emails to (Not sharing addresses)
Would be interesting if somebody would try first and last name email combos for higher ups to see what goes through

If you have a voice people, then use it! Stopped CBJ from going away! But them announcing location today and also dropping permits show how scared/uncaring they are.

I wrote for Splash Mountain. The response I received made me want to vomit…

docnabox

You left out, “Castles are problematic.” 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom