News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

SoFloMagic

Don’t blame me for “stirring the culture wars pot”, blame Disney.
Disney is building what promises to immediately be the top ride in the entire resort in an area that currently has a boat on a track that goes 5 mph.

Y'all complain they never build anything, then when they build you complain about what it is or where it is.

If you want to make it about cancel culture, go ahead. But Disney's just using their current (flawed) IP-first philosophy to do something they think people will like in place of an antique

UNCgolf

Not exactly the thread for this discussion, but the Door Coaster should be seen as a pressure relief valve specifically for Slinky Dog Dash. In MK, the 5 new attractions that will open over a decade will serve any group of guests pretty well.

The problem is that DHS simply doesn't have enough other attractions, especially family friendly ones.

It'll also be interesting to see how well that works. I think the Door Coaster, as a suspended coaster, will scare off some kids that happily ride Slinky, and of course there's already RNRC for people that want something more thrilling.

UNCgolf

The early ‘90s arguably produced two of WDW’s finest attractions: Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. Indiana Jones at DL (mid 90s) was groundbreaking as well. I believe all were net additions, not replacements, too.

I group Splash Mountain in with the 80s, since that's when it opened at Disneyland. The WDW one was obviously different, though.

I also didn't say everything was bad in the 90s -- there was absolutely good, like Tower of Terror and Indy. They just also started butchering EPCOT that decade, among other things.

Regardless, the stuff he specifically mentioned was all from the 1990s and not the 80s, which was the point.

UNCgolf

Disney is building what promises to immediately be the top ride in the entire resort in an area that currently has a boat on a track that goes 5 mph.

Y'all complain they never build anything, then when they build you complain about what it is or where it is.

If you want to make it about cancel culture, go ahead. But Disney's just using their current (flawed) IP-first philosophy to do something they think people will like in place of an antique

I'll be shocked if the Cars attraction ends up as the top ride at WDW; I think it'll be tough for it to even make the top 3 at Magic Kingdom.

I do think it will be good, though.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

TSI can go IMO, but Liberty Square and Frontierland as currently designed simply won't work without the river there. They'll need to be completely overhauled without the waterfront because everything will feel strange/out of place.

I don't know why they didn't just leave a small river, dock the riverboat there, and have the waterfront remain as-is just for that fronting stretch of LS and Frontierland.
This. I don’t need TSI, I don’t need a full looping river. I just want the vibes and atmosphere the rivers create. If they have a decent sized river wrapping along the side of the Cars rides that’ll border Liberty and Frontier I’ll be cool with it.

doctornick

Not exactly the thread for this discussion, but the Door Coaster should be seen as a pressure relief valve specifically for Slinky Dog Dash. In MK, the 5 new attractions that will open over a decade will serve any group of guests pretty well.
People are going to want to ride both so I don’t see how that helps.

WorldExplorer

I really enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island. As a kid I loved the barrel bridge. As an adult, I got to feel like a kid again, exploring in a way you don't get to do anymore when you grow up. It had been like seventeen years since I last went, so I didn't remember what was on there (except for the bridge), and I got really excited about looking around. It was like taking a hike, if you knew you were guarunteed to actually find something other than more trees around each turn.

Don't know, I guess I'm a freak, I made great memories there. It felt unique and fun.

I would think it's at least worth trying some kind of modern IP tie-in before killing it; they have lots of stories involving different places in the woods. Neverland or Wonderland would probably work pretty well, especially considering they clearly don't care about theming anymore.

Just another thing on the ever-growing list of stuff to miss, I guess.

TrainsOfDisney

The early ‘90s arguably produced two of WDW’s finest attractions: Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. Indiana Jones at DL (mid 90s) was groundbreaking as well. I believe all were net additions, not replacements, too.
Spider man at universal as well.

Splash, Indiana Jones and Spider-Man are the best theme park attractions with thrills ever built in my opinion.

basas

I group Splash Mountain in with the 80s, since that's when it opened at Disneyland. The WDW one was obviously different, though.

Regardless, I didn't say everything was bad in the 90s -- there was absolutely good, like Tower of Terror and Indy. They just also started butchering EPCOT that decade, among other things.

Every decade has had its hits and misses….but fortunately many (not all) didn’t replace beloved attractions.

IMO the riverboat is as iconic to the Magic Kingdom (and Disneyland) as the railroad.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

All of that would be true…………………if people actually went there.

Actual used capacity is better than theoretical capacity. It doesn’t matter how many people attractions can theoretically handle if people don’t want to experience them!

There is a betting chance that there are more posts in this topic about losing that area than people who actually went there today.
But people DO go there. Just because you personally don’t doesn’t mean no one does. And as I said, even if you don’t go on the island, you benefit from the atmosphere and immersion it creates, the beautiful views it generates. You can’t recreate that with a thick forested treeline and the sound of talking race cars muffled behind them.

UNCgolf

Every decade has had its hits and misses….but fortunately many (not all) didn’t replace beloved attractions.

IMO the riverboat is as iconic to the Magic Kingdom (and Disneyland) as the railroad.

Sure but my comment was in response to someone talking about bad stuff happening in the 80s, but he actually meant the 90s based on the specific things he listed. That's all it was.

SoFloMagic

I'll be shocked if the Cars attraction ends up as the top ride at WDW; I think it'll be tough for it to even make the top 3 at Magic Kingdom.

I do think it will be good, though.
I meant at first, but I'd also wager it will be the toughest ILL to get for years. Just look at the ride at DCA

erasure fan1

Muppets is going away for the same reason - it's always empty
It's a huge theater. My wife and I are huge muppet fans so we do muppet vision multiple multiple times a trip. I've never seen it empty. Sure it doesn't get lines like it used to. Although it was about 80% full when we were there last summer. And it still holds up remarkably well. Guests are are always laughing and enjoying the show. As has been said, there's no need to deep six it at this point in time. Not with how embarrassing the studios is right now.
Walt Disney once said, "Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland... the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine"

Doesn’t sound like he would be a fan of ripping out iconic lands and attractions, when there was enough land to build them elsewhere.
You got it. And the people talking about, "they need the land for future expansion". I don't buy it. They have plenty of space to add if they are smart about it. And after all this, what are the odds of them doing anything else in the next couple decades anyway.

lazyboy97o

And in a park that averages over 50k a day. So less than 30% of guests will be able to even experience it, if no one gets any re-rides at all. That’s potentially a lot of disappointed guests. Of course people will just scream, “people should just buy a LL.” As if there will be enough to go around.

And I thought putting a popular 15K per day ride in a 35K per day park was bad.
This would be the case for pretty much any project. It’s not actually realistic to develop an attraction that everyone visiting on a given day can experience. It’s an issue that scales so it’s a challenge even for parks with less, but healthy, attendance. Healthy is the operative word because Disney did design parks where you had to and could do everything in a day and it doesn’t really work. Not everything will appeal to everyone and you want to offer variety.

This quote from Eddie Sotto was over decade ago and reflects information he learned earlier while at Disney. So even then major headliners weren’t being visited by the majority of guests.
I was surprised to hear from a senior operations director that Space Mountain only gets 20 percent of the attendance.

UNCgolf

I meant at first, but I'd also wager it will be the toughest ILL to get for years. Just look at the ride at DCA

Yeah, but the one at DCA is in a park lacking in other top attractions (for the moment) and is one of the best rides around. Based on concept art, this one doesn't seem like it will be as impressive as RSR, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Regardless, I'm sure you're right that the ILL will sell out for a long time.

basas

But people DO go there. Just because you personally don’t doesn’t mean no one does. And as I said, even if you don’t go on the island, you benefit from the atmosphere and immersion it creates, the beautiful views it generates. You can’t recreate that with a thick forested treeline and the sound of talking race cars muffled behind them.

Honestly, I’m not sure how many *more* people could go there even if they wanted to given the limited capacity of the rafts. I think that’s how it was designed. If you have young children and you haven’t spent an hour letting them run around TSI before, try it before it’s gone. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Chef idea Mickey`=

No one can explain why ROA/TSI should even remain other than it’s already there. The place is a ghost town.
I can the Riverboat to me is beautiful because it lives through the park and resort in a time which it represents an era that is long decades ago and the ship one way didn't have to exist anymore as a real running. Yes it's on a track but it still chimes with smoke. It's as even more a beautiful thing than The Castle. People would riot for the Castle but the castle is still fantasy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom