News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

You’re a brand new member (joined 45 minutes ago) and insiders have said there was land already planned for the coco expansion “beyond big thunder”

Hopefully you’ll still get your paycheck :)
I don’t claim to be an insider on Disney projects. But when it comes to land use. I know a thing or two. Been working in the central Florida area for quite a few years doing jobs related to use. I’m sure land was planed but planning and actually getting the permits approved is completely different. As for the new members. I have been going on this site for years just never felt the need to join until today. I’m just giving knowledge I have on land use permits. They get very complicated, especially when they come to central Florida and the application to wetlands.

basas

I don’t claim to be an insider on Disney projects. But when it comes to land use. I know a thing or two. Been working in the central Florida area for quite a few years doing jobs related to use. I’m sure land was planed but planning and actually getting the permits approved is completely different. As for the new members. I have been going on this site for years just never felt the need to join until today. I’m just giving knowledge I have on land use permits. They get very complicated, especially when they come to central Florida and the application to wetlands.

I don’t doubt it…but, again, this is Disney. If the will was there they could make it work. They don’t want to.

Dizknee_Phreek

I really enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island. As a kid I loved the barrel bridge. As an adult, I got to feel like a kid again, exploring in a way you don't get to do anymore when you grow up. It had been like seventeen years since I last went, so I didn't remember what was on there (except for the bridge), and I got really excited about looking around. It was like taking a hike, if you knew you were guarunteed to actually find something other than more trees around each turn.

Don't know, I guess I'm a freak, I made great memories there. It felt unique and fun.

I would think it's at least worth trying some kind of modern IP tie-in before killing it; they have lots of stories involving different places in the woods. Neverland or Wonderland would probably work pretty well, especially considering they clearly don't care about theming anymore.

Just another thing on the ever-growing list of stuff to miss, I guess.
And THIS is why these places mean so much and are so important. Disney needs more space like TSI that are timeless and relevant to any age group, even if you know nothing about the story they're based on. They need places that even adults can explore and reconnect with their inner child. People talk all the time about what Walt would have wanted...but that right there is exactly what he did want. He wanted a place where both kids and adults could play and have fun. Disney is quickly losing those fun, interactive spaces.

WorldExplorer I'm so glad you had that experience. I don't think it makes you a freak at all. I think it's beautiful and what these parks are supposed to be about. Any child or adult who finds TSI boring is missing out.

basas

Me, too. But I must be a weirdo (as I’ve been told today)…because I’m a millennial who…still think cowboys are relevant to kids…because I’ve read Mark Twain’s books…because I think the riverboat is iconic…and now I guess because I’ve never complained there’s “too much to do” in a theme park 🤣

Last edited:

WDWhopper

Sure but my comment was in response to someone talking about bad stuff happening in the 80s, but he actually meant the 90s based on the specific things he listed. That's all it was.
I lived in SoCal in the 80’s and 90’s and some of the things that I mentioned happened in the 80’s at DL. But I agree, some were the 90’s. But my point is that the creative team that is at the helm right now is more comparable to the group that was in for those duds that i mentioned. Thank God that the subpar creative team that gave us Tiki Under New Mansgement didn’t tear out Pirates to do it.

TrainsOfDisney

Sure, but the point of that post is that the guests don’t care that RoA is going.

Which seems true. Most visitors won’t care.
Eh…. “Spaceship earth is becoming Death Star” would get cheers too.

There are lots of complexities to all of this.

There are design elements from the limited concept art that I like - it looks similar to Grizzly Peak which is a lovely design.

But I am asking the question… what makes the magic kingdom the magic kingdom?

I don’t understand tearing down the heartbeat of the parks. The absolute worst was the fountain of nations.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Taking a boat back from DHS today (saying a sad potential goodbye to MV4D) the boat-driving-guy was talking about what was announced. When he said that Cars was replacing the Rivers, people cheered.
Not one person said it's sad?
C'mon there had to be one local or Nostalgia visitor around or are they too sad to even have a say because nothing will change they know deep down inside.. look at splash mountain.
Also, I was at EPCOT today as well (very busy day) and I was looking at all of the green space. EPCOT is more relaxing than either MK or DHS because of all of the water and grass. So at least we’ll still have that.
🙏

Earlie the Pearlie

Not one person said it's sad?
C'mon there had to be one local or Nostalgia visitor around or are they too sad to even have a say because nothing will change they know deep down inside.. look at splash mountain.

🙏
I yelled “SAVE MUPPETS” when the guy said that we don’t know where Monsters Inc is going. Not sure I count though lol

DarkMetroid567

Me, too. But I must be a weirdo (as I’ve been told today)…because I still think cowboys are relevant to kids…because I’ve read Mark Twain’s books…because I think the riverboat is iconic…and now I guess because I’ve never complained there’s “too much to do” in a theme park 🤣
You’re def not a weirdo! All of those things are perfectly normal, but the passage of time and it changes they bring to our generations are inevitable.
WorldExplorer I'm so glad you had that experience. I don't think it makes you a freak at all. I think it's beautiful and what these parks are supposed to be about. Any child or adult who finds TSI boring is missing out.
I’m in agreement that TSI is fun, I even find it more fun as an adult than I do as a child. (Parks like Toverland in NL are great for this.) But predicting what kids are currently into or what they will be into is really tough. I don’t think it should be a shock that TSI has aged poorly.

MouseEarsMom33

genuine question, why is there such a distaste for attractions associated with ips?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Disney land in part originally built by Walt Disney to promote his work in animation and promote then via attractions in a theme park ??

I understand there were a lot of original attractions as well ( but obviously some were also based off popular novel - book based - ips), but couldn’t one argue that Disney at the same time in the 50s didn’t have as huge of a catalogue film wise to make every single ride a movie based attraction?

I guess my point being is, there seems to be a lot of tug and war between rides being connected to ips. 20k leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth, these are some super beloved attractions but they are also based off ips.

So is it more about not like what Disney as a whole is producing animation wise lately and that’s why we hate when they are connected to ips?

Because y’all don’t seem to throw a fit about 20k leagues or journey to the center of the earth ?
I have always thought the same thing. There was not enough IPs back in the 50s.

Sleeping Beauty's castle was meant to advertise for the upcoming movie (I believe). There were many advertising companies in the parks.

basas

I have always thought the same thing. There was not enough IPs back in the 50s.

Sleeping Beauty's castle was meant to advertise for the upcoming movie (I believe). There were many advertising companies in the parks.

I’m not against IP’s (though I won’t deny some are). Tom Sawyer is an IP. I’m against IPs which don’t fit the appropriate theme of where they’re placed. And it seems Disney of 2024 has no problem shoehorning in IPs where they don’t belong.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I yelled “SAVE MUPPETS” when the guy said that we don’t know where Monsters Inc is going. Not sure I count though lol
It's better to be different in the minority even if your the only one. There's no way if I was there and heard that response that I wouldn't of said anything and that's speaks measures coming from a person who's dream was for Cars Land to come WDW. I'm not approved of this location and they miss the opportunity of building this Beyond Big Thunder let's not act like there's no room so you don't have the railroad in the way or roads!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom