Captain EO

Horizons1

To be honest, I totally disagree. Disney brought it back because there was a demand for it after MJ died. Even if it is not your thing, or you don't care for it, you have to respect and acknowledge that they listened to their guests.

Actually, TDO waited to see how merchandise moved at DL before deciding to bring EO back to Epcot. It's all about the money. And EO will be here for a while, there are currently no plans for a new show in the theater. Worst case scenario: another WOL situation will be present.

baymenxpac

Actually, TDO waited to see how merchandise moved at DL before deciding to bring EO back to Epcot. It's all about the money. And EO will be here for a while, there are currently no plans for a new show in the theater. Worst case scenario: another WOL situation will be present.

that would bum me out. being a true child of the '80s, i have a lot of great memories at both pavillions. WOL being out of commission to the public is a shame, but losing two spaces that could absolutely be successful with the proper revamping would be tragic.

wdwfan4ver

I was hoping the new Staggs would get onto TDO about things such as Imagination, but I guess the man cant correct everything over night. Still though I guess my point is it would be nice if Burbank/Glendale would get under TDO's skin.
Tell me about. The problem is Walt Disney World had a lot of issues before Staggs took over.

Nothing was happening to Pleasure Island after the clubs closed down before Hyperion Warf was announced. Animal Kingdom is lacking rides. Disney Hollywood Studios needs some help in updating or replacing some attaction. Parts of the Magic Kingdom needed help like Adventure land, and Tomorrow Land for an example. Parts of Epcot needed help also.

I hope once the New Fantasy Land, and Hyperion Warf gets finished, other areas of WDW get updated, replaced, or expanded.

RSoxNo1

As dated as this show is, I proudly display my Captain EO poster as well as the Hooter and Fuzzball plushes that I purchased.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have nothing of value to add to the thread but fancied adding to my post count.

Though I find Michael Jacksons music ideal for Disneys core market of under 10s.

Shamoooann

_46157070_bo_selecta226getty.jpg

aladdin2007

Yes sadly I fear that could be imminent not far down the road.

Chef Mickey

It's not WDI that's the problem, it's the management and executives that don't want to spend to turn WDI's concepts into realities.
They have to answer to shareholders, unfortunately.

Sadly, we are the minority. Disney relies on new visitors and different people trying Disney and coming back every few years. As a non local sometimes visiting 3 times per year, I certainly don't fit the profile of a regular Disney guest. The masses aren't nostalgic about Horizons, World of Motion, Dream Flight, and the original Figment. They want the next thrill, the newest technology, and the highest speed. I remember some and her boyfriend COMPLAINING massively about Swiss Family Treehouse and saying it was just a stupid random idea in the middle of the park that served no purpose. People can't take things for what they are and enjoy them. If it's not Rockin' Rollercoaster or Tower of Terror all the time, it "sucks" and is boring.

Disney has done a good job in mixing the new with the old, though I think they could do better. I really think it's difficult to balance creating new attractions to keep people interested while maintaining sacred themes that the die hards want to see last forever.

One thing Disney isn't is stupid. They have massive amounts of data and market research to tell them when an attraction needs to be killed or revamped. I don't always think they have the pulse on Walt's original vision or "us," but a lot of that is due to shareholder pressure and basically making a buck. Do I think they could improve? Yes. Do I think they were more true to Walt's vision maybe 10-15 years ago? Yes. But do I think they've completely dropped the ball? Hell no, and not even close. They are still the leader and a truly amazing company.

disneyWX

The effects are different, they put in the movie but not any of the original effects, they just reused HISTA's effects and adapted to the original EO movie.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Never visited HISTA so maybe that's why I'm impressed while others are not...it's old news to them.

Princess Kitty

Well, nothing at Disney is "permanent", but it looks like we're stuck with EO because more people are filling up the theatre than when HISTA was showing. But, I think once the novelty wears off we'll get a new movie entirely. I'm not a fan of larger-than-life snakes and rats, so for that reason alone, I'm kind of happy that HISTA left.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see Pixar in Future World (that seems to be Disney's future, anyway). Please be kind, but I think this would be cool:

Monsters - Energy (bye-bye, Alex and Ellen)
Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Toy Story - Imagination (yes, Figment can tag along)
Bugs - The Land
Nemo - The Sea (of course, he's there already)

cheezbat

I'm not an EO fan, but i had no problem having it brought back for a few years...but seriously this thing cannot be permanent. There HAS to be something in the plans a few years down the road. The movie is way outdated, and the effects are poor in comparison to all of the other 3-d 4-d shows in the Orlando area. In my visits to both Disneyland and Epcot, I have to say the crowds for EO are substansially larger in DL than in Epcot. The merch is selling though.

NewfieFan

Well, nothing at Disney is "permanent", but it looks like we're stuck with EO because more people are filling up the theatre than when HISTA was showing. But, I think once the novelty wears off we'll get a new movie entirely. I'm not a fan of larger-than-life snakes and rats, so for that reason alone, I'm kind of happy that HISTA left.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see Pixar in Future World (that seems to be Disney's future, anyway). Please be kind, but I think this would be cool:

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land

Welcome to WDWMagic! Let me give you a little tip... don't mention Pixar and Future World... unless you like mobs of people with flaming torches! Seriously, people around here get their panties in a knot just at the mere mention of more characterization coming to Future World (let alone Pixar characters).

I really don't care either way to be honest! I think Nemo brought the Seas pavilion back into the light. Test Track is fine just the way it is. Energy needs an update (at least redo Ellen). Imagination just needs to start over... put Captain EO away forever and add a new show (on another thread Master Yoda suggested Phineas & Ferb - I think they would make a wonderful addition to the pavilion). And I think The Land is fine too. Although I would love to see a new Soarin' video... maybe one a little more suited to the theme of The Land.

tirian

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land

IMO that's a horrible idea. The Walt Disney Company has featured more than just a handful of cartoon characters since the days of Silly Symphonies; and in the 50s and 60s, "Disney" meant everything from Mickey Mouse and Cinderella to Zorro and TV specials about outer space. Limiting any area of a Disney park to cartoons is creative suicide.

Besides, Epcot does a good job at getting kids excited about the real world. EPCOT Center c. 1989 did it better, but even modern Epcot is decent.

tirian

Imagination just needs to start over... put Captain EO away forever and add a new show (on another thread Master Yoda suggested Phineas & Ferb - I think they would make a wonderful addition to the pavilion).

Figment would be good enough if Disney built an incredibly imaginative attraction.

P&F don't need a permanent residence in the parks until their longevity is proven. (BTW, I do love the show. :))

And I think The Land is fine too. Although I would love to see a new Soarin' video... maybe one a little more suited to the theme of The Land.

Ah, Soarin' Around the World—the update that already has footage sitting in a vault somewhere. :fork:

NewfieFan

Figment would be good enough if Disney built an incredibly imaginative attraction.

P&F don't need a permanent residence in the parks until their longevity is proven. (BTW, I do love the show. :)

Ah, Soarin' Around the World—the update that already has footage sitting in a vault somewhere. :fork:

Probaby so... I just really like them... and want to see them in the parks! :eek:

And Soarin'... That just makes me sad! :(

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land

I'm gonna have to say NO to this

wdwfan4ver

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land
No. Nemo is enough. I am might be showing age, but Epcot was good at learning people and people enjoying being learned based the attractions they had when I first went there in 1991. Epcot always been the top park for me at WDW.

The land pavilion doesn't need bugs and is fine the way it is. I am not big on Circle of Life, but I know what Disney was going for with the film. Living with the land is supposed to be about stuff like growing food, and different types of farming. Bugs wouldn't be for some types of farming. Soarin is a good ride also and it is extremely popular even though an upgrade wouldn't be bad. Bugs would be better at Disney's Hollywood Studios as a replacement for the Honey, I shrunk the kids Playground.

Wall E in Mission Space is an okay idea, but the film involves stuff like pollution of Earth and trying to go back to earth. The land pavilion would better off based the movies theme if Wall E is in Epcot. Wall E would good at Tomorrow Land as an Attraction though.

Toy Story doesn't quite fit for imagination and the 2nd problem is Toy Story already has 2 attractions. Toy Story Franchise having 3 attractions at 3 different parks sounds overkill to me. I am sure many members at message board wouldn't be please Team Disney Orlando if there is a 3rd attraction off Toy Story Franchise to put it mildly. Toy Story is a popular movie franchise, but Disney has a lot of films, or cartoon characters that don't have an attraction or even as meet and greet at Walt Disney World.

Test Track is fine with the way it is. Cars would be better off a Disney Hollywood Studios at where the Back lot tour is currently.

I do agree that energy does need an update or type of a replacement. The information that film has is outdated and the film is going to 15 years old this year.

hrcollectibles

Granted, the ride is infinitely more popular at Disneyland than it is here, but I'd still bet that EO pushes more guests through in a day than HISTA was.

Captain Eo is an attraction not a ride.. Captain Eo is the way I remember Michael Jackson. I was against Disney bringing it back, I have now seen it twice and it does bring back fond memories. I don't think its permanent, just a place holder until something else comes along. Disney saw $$ when they brought Captain Eo. Can't blame as Disney is not a not for profit company.

T-1MILLION

Captain Eo is an attraction not a ride.. Captain Eo is the way I remember Michael Jackson. I was against Disney bringing it back, I have now seen it twice and it does bring back fond memories. I don't think its permanent, just a place holder until something else comes along. Disney saw $$ when they brought Captain Eo. Can't blame as Disney is not a not for profit company.

Nothing is permanant or sacred. Theme parks will always have attractions changing and altered.

That being said, something lasting over a year is hardly just a tribute of an attraction that was already there.

We are likely stuck with this 'placeholder' for years now.

Admiral01

Premium Member

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land

I can safely say that I would never visit another Disney park again in my life if TDO did this abomination to Future World. Lets go over that again: Future World. Not Pixar Place, or Cute-Character Land. EPCOT doesn't need any more Disney movie characters rammed down its throat. Nemo is bad enough, and if I had my way Sea Base Alpha would return and the Coral Reef would start selling clown fish sushi.

AEfx

Cars - Test Track
Wall E - Mission Space
Bugs - The Land

I don't mind more characters in FW, but I am terribly tired of everything being Pixar. I understand why Disney does it (Pixar movies are the only ones creating "Classics" these days, the Disney theatrical films obviously do well financially but to be honest I haven't even seen the last few...I just don't really feel a "hook" there.)

For Energy, I'd love them to bring Ellen back all over again to do a new version. Although some internet fans create a stink over her, I have never been in that ride/theater when people weren't laughing hysterically over her. She is extremely popular (if you think about it, her television property is probably the most successful, high-profile TV show associated - loosely in this case - with a Disney attraction). Although the show itself has nothing to do with the attraction (and the attraction update predates it by many years), it's one of the most watched daytime shows and is someone that is instantly recognizable and liked by a lot of people.

Mostly, though, I am just sick to death of Toy Story stuff. It's just everywhere, we have multiple attractions in multiple parks, restaurants, and all manner of it everywhere. If one were to judge from the parks, you'd think it was the only hit Disney ever had.

As to the Eo stuff, I'm glad it's sticking around for awhile. I don't get the vitriol over this issue. I've never seen people so concerned about an attraction they aren't interested in. If you don't like it, don't experience it.

I think it's great and I can't wait to see it every time I am at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom