Captain EO

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Granted, the ride is infinitely more popular at Disneyland than it is here, but I'd still bet that EO pushes more guests through in a day than HISTA was.

menamechris

Granted, the ride is infinitely more popular at Disneyland than it is here, but I'd still bet that EO pushes more guests through in a day than HISTA was.

It would definetly be interesting to see the numbers compared. I think EO does as well as they can expect for a seated show tho. The difference being that now, I think people will see EO each visit (I know I do - it just takes me back to the 80s - LOVE that feeling). Whereas, HISTA - eh, I saw it once. And that was enough. Doing it again would have just cut into my margarita time..

wdwfan4ver

Disney is about nostalgia. And anyone who is a child of the 80s will love seeing MJ in all his 80s glory over and over again.
I was kid in the 1980's, but I never was into Micheal Jackson or his music back in the 1980's. This was not caused by my age. I watched season 1 of Transformers back in 1984 matter of fact as a kid.

Captain EO attraction is not a draw for me based on 1980's nostalgia despite my age. I heard his music back in the 1980's in one of my classes, but I wasn't into his music.

Some of the music I listened to as a kid in the 1980's is music groups or artists that you really think of back in the 1980's like Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" for an example.

Micheal Jackson was a big name of the 1980's, but not every kid from the 1980's grew up with his music and the attraction does nothing for that person.

menamechris

I was kid in the 1980's, but I never was into Micheal Jackson or his music back in the 1980's. This was not caused by my age. I watched season 1 of Transformers back in 1984 matter of fact as a kid.

Captain EO attraction is not a draw for me based on 1980's nostalgia despite my age. I heard his music back in the 1980's in one of my classes, but I wasn't into his music.

Some of the music I listened to as a kid in the 1980's is music groups or artists that you really think of back in the 1980's like Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" for an example.

Micheal Jackson was a big name of the 1980's, but not every kid from the 1980's grew up with his music and the attraction does nothing for that person.

Well, thats fine. Tons of people are into country music. or even classical music. With the largest selling album of all time attached to his name though, I think it is pretty safe to say the appeal is greater than HISTA. There is no one who has not heard of MJ, and are familiar with him on an international level. I am sure many many people have never heard of the Honey movies. And considering the last anyone heard of the franchise was 2000 (I think someone said the sitcom ended), you are appealing to who exactly? A now 16 year old who MAY remember that show?

MUTZIE77

Saw EO for the first time in October and could not wait for it to be over. It's just another Epcot pavilion that I wont waste time seeing now.

T-1MILLION

For people who think Disney listened soley to Disney fans and we got what we wanted...you are going to be dissapointed quite a bit in life.

Disney knew there was $$$ as soon as MJ died and his merch and pop culture videos went selling like crazy. That is why it opened up at DL with all sorts of gifts and MJ posters.

The idea was more about making money on the mass rush of MJ.

That being said, now we are stuck with a dated 3D film that has less special effects than it did when it opened back in the 80s.

b94ronman

went this past december and took my 9 & 7 year old girls and they loved it. I hadn't seen it since 88 when i was there as a kid.....it was awesome to see again....it is dated.....but It brought me back to a pavilion I skipped over for the past 4 years.....I will gladly go back again when I return this year if it's still there. If honey I shrunk the audience is back, I will again bypass the pavilion....I have no problem if EO sticks around few years while they finalize future plans for the building, but if it stays much longer than that...we need to spend our money elsewhere. And I spent $72 on shirts, a hat and a poster just because it was something from the past, that my thoughts wont be around too long.

twilight mitsuk

went this past december and took my 9 & 7 year old girls and they loved it. I hadn't seen it since 88 when i was there as a kid.....it was awesome to see again....it is dated.....but It brought me back to a pavilion I skipped over for the past 4 years.....I will gladly go back again when I return this year if it's still there. If honey I shrunk the audience is back, I will again bypass the pavilion....I have no problem if EO sticks around few years while they finalize future plans for the building, but if it stays much longer than that...we need to spend our money elsewhere. And I spent $72 on shirts, a hat and a poster just because it was something from the past, that my thoughts wont be around too long.

and get a new sponsor

wdwfan4ver

Well, thats fine. Tons of people are into country music. or even classical music. With the largest selling album of all time attached to his name though, I think it is pretty safe to say the appeal is greater than HISTA. There is no one who has not heard of MJ, and are familiar with him on an international level. I am sure many many people have never heard of the Honey movies. And considering the last anyone heard of the franchise was 2000 (I think someone said the sitcom ended), you are appealing to who exactly? A now 16 year old who MAY remember that show?
I didn't say HISTA had great appeal in my other 2 posts in this topic than Micheal Jackson. Thriller had been the highest sell album of all time for a very long time. I first heard of Thriller being the highest selling album of all time was way back in the 1990's.

I brought up the year franchise in one of my posts because your date was way off in when Honey, I shrunk the kids franchise died off. Early 90's to start of the 21 century is a big difference in length time in terms of a franchise being dead even if the Franchise should have been discontinued sooner.

I understood why you thought it died in the early 1990's though because before a couple years ago, I thought the franchise died after the 2nd movie and the Honey, I shrunk the Audience. I didn't even know the sitcom or a 3rd movie excited before I searched Honey, I Shrunk the Kids on google.

disneyrcks

Completely disagree that they brought EO back because "guests wanted it". A great example is guests extreme lobby for Adventures Club and that unfortunately is not happening. EO came back cause HISTA was done and MJ passed on, and there was money to be made from that. It should be something new, something imaginative, and if u disagree u miss the point of EPCOT. I am indifferent when it comes to MJ and his music. I recognize that he achieved much success and I won't deny anyone of that. But when it comes to EPCOT if you give me an old attraction which (in reality) is back for no other reason other than to grasp at the straws of popularity while not having to spend money on something new/worthy, then I call shenanigans. That is the reality of it and whether EO fanboys wanna realize it or not...the one thing you should recognize is that this isn't a HISTA vs EO arguement....it is a poor marketing, exploit MJ, not bother doing something creative cause we can make $$$$$$ argument.

EO was nice to see, I had never seen it before. I think it will be there until TDO gives Epcot its version of the FLE. Hope that's in the next 5 years, but my guess is 5 to 10 years.

PirateFrank

Completely disagree that they brought EO back because "guests wanted it". A great example is guests extreme lobby for Adventures Club and that unfortunately is not happening. EO came back cause HISTA was done and MJ passed on, and there was money to be made from that. It should be something new, something imaginative, and if u disagree u miss the point of EPCOT. I am indifferent when it comes to MJ and his music. I recognize that he achieved much success and I won't deny anyone of that. But when it comes to EPCOT if you give me an old attraction which (in reality) is back for no other reason other than to grasp at the straws of popularity while not having to spend money on something new/worthy, then I call shenanigans. That is the reality of it and whether EO fanboys wanna realize it or not...the one thing you should recognize is that this isn't a HISTA vs EO arguement....it is a poor marketing, exploit MJ, not bother doing something creative cause we can make $$$$$$ argument.

Dont waste your breathe....it appears this place is filled with a bunch jacko fanbois.

For anyone thinking the petitions were so much more significant than anything else disney has been petitioned...and that said petitions worked....and that disney merely gave the people what they want....you're might want to take up residence in fantasyland once the FLE is done.

Seriously, TDA & TDO saw this as an opportunity to retro-fit a dying attraction with a previously dead one at very little cost to them....at a time when jacko-nostalgia was at its highest due to his death.

I've been to WDW 3 times since they brought back the freak show.....and not ONCE have I seen a single person walk into the building on the EO side. Seriously. If this show is drawing bigger numbers than HISTA, it's not significant numbers....and I based on my observations, I would laugh at any such assertion.

SeaBase86

We as Disney fans must know we are not the only ones who go to the parks. While most of the people who have a reply in this thread dislike EO (and MJ), there a probably 100's of regular guests who enjoy it. So hey it doesn't really bother me. No one is making you go see it. It's making money and Disney really has no problem with that.

PolynesianPrincess

I have not been to WDW since they brought back EO but I am going in May and I'll tell you, myself, my sister and my mother are all excited to see it.. We enjoyed it back in the 80's and will probably enjoy it now. I grew up with MJ's music, had all his albums on cassette tapes.. EO brings me back to visiting Disney as a child. I'm glad to see them bring it back, even if it's just for a little while. Does everyone share my opinion? No, of course not. No one is ever going to LOVE EVERY Disney attraction, thats just how it is... Let the people who enjoy it go see it and if you don't, well then, go see something you do like.:animwink:

menamechris

While I understand your point, I think what your comment is not addressing is business economic sense. Like so many people have said, Disney did not take out a thriving show that people were passionate about to put in EO. To say that Disney didn't listen to guests is just incorrect. Why would they bother to bring EO back if their reseach didn't show it would do better, be more popular, and bring in more merchandising money than HISTA? What everyone seems to agree on is YES - it is about money. But it was about money the first time too! MJ was a global phenomenon when they first put the attraction in the park. So now that he is dead there is something sacred about his work? That no money should be made off of it? Hhhmmm...

As far as the AC (which I agree has been beat to death with petitions), it again comes down to money. If Disney management has found that they can make a significant profit off of it - it WILL be back. If not, a business will not take a loss on an already closed club which requires them to have dozens of performers and other cast members on payroll. All of those people need to be paid out of the profits of the club - and THEN Disney still will want a piece left over. How is this to be compared to a 3-D movie that has no such overhead?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom