Captain EO

Tigger1988

I don't mean to interrupt your little debate, and I am enjoying reading it, but I had to stick my neck in and say that a two weeks ago, I saw Captain EO for the first time in nearly 20 years. And I thought it was AWESOME. It has NO nostalgia factor for me, especially since I remembered hating it as a very young child. So Rich1, you look for someone who likes it? Right here! :wave:

Yup, I saw it during it's original run but have little memory of it because I was fairly young. Saw it again this past summer and enjoyed myself and it seemed like the rest of the theater did as well. I don't remember the audience ever applauding at the end of HISTA.

Rich1

Well, "rodserling" I don't doubt there are a lot of people that do find it "awesome". I just assume you're probably in the minority. I don't know that but assuming so. Am I also to assume that you never want to see anything else in this location other than EO? Seeing as my original point got lost in the "debate" , it just shouldnt be seen as something that should staying around much longer.

Rich1

I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea...my point is in no way meant as an argument for bring back HISTA. It's just that I have trouble seeing how EO can be justified as something people pay money to see. Instead we need something everyone can enjoy. Say, I don't know...a Wall-E 4-D film..of course featuring Figment.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont understand the clamour for Figment, its a character that like Michael Jackson means nothing to me and I'm mystified by the appeal.

Rich1

I just added Figment to my idea to avoid flaming the fire. I would hate to insult Figment cause lord knows, I'd get destroyed in this argument if I did. He is a neat little character though and I don't really think he should go anywhere and if they added him to a 4-D show that would be centered around another character then it might avoid making die hard Imagination fans too terribly upset.

NewfieFan

Well, I must of been in the theatre with a bunch of people who felt the same way I did. There was no applause after the end of this showing... chuckles of laughter but no applause. While exiting the theatre I heard a group of young people (late teens, early 20s?) talking about how cheesy and horrible the show was. I overheard an older couple (retired age?), and the woman said, "I can't believe we just lined up to watch that", to which the husband (?) replied, "At least the theatre was air conditioned dear!"

I'm not making this stuff up!

While I don't doubt there's people that love it and feel nostalgic for it I think there are a lot who don't like it!

hokielutz

I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea...my point is in no way meant as an argument for bring back HISTA. It's just that I have trouble seeing how EO can be justified as something people pay money to see. Instead we need something everyone can enjoy. Say, I don't know...a Wall-E 4-D film..of course featuring Figment.

Well then... go join the crack staff at WDI and help put one together. Remember that it usually takes 3 years to produce any kind of a feature animation... far longer than 3 months you are advocating.

Also since some people usually don't get to Disney but once a year.. then a year long run should be justifiable.

Yes I agree the 3-D footage is noticably old... especially when you've just watched another 3D film at Downtown Disney that week, but its different than what's been running the last 10+ years. Give it a break and bring up your argument to the brass in the form of a hand written letter... asking when a New 3D film will be created for the theater.

rustysgirl

i think i'm the only one who liked HISTA. *hides* :lookaroun not saying they shouldn't make a new video but personally i don't like EO. just my opinion & everyone is entitled to their own :wave: i just wanted to be the only one that stuck up for HISTA :lol: my fiance & I enjoyed seeing it every trip & now the only reason we go to that pavilion is for the figment ride which we enjoy which apparently we are in the minority for that too! LOL

disneyrcks

While I understand your point, I think what your comment is not addressing is business economic sense. Like so many people have said, Disney did not take out a thriving show that people were passionate about to put in EO. To say that Disney didn't listen to guests is just incorrect. Why would they bother to bring EO back if their reseach didn't show it would do better, be more popular, and bring in more merchandising money than HISTA? What everyone seems to agree on is YES - it is about money. But it was about money the first time too! MJ was a global phenomenon when they first put the attraction in the park. So now that he is dead there is something sacred about his work? That no money should be made off of it? Hhhmmm...

As far as the AC (which I agree has been beat to death with petitions), it again comes down to money. If Disney management has found that they can make a significant profit off of it - it WILL be back. If not, a business will not take a loss on an already closed club which requires them to have dozens of performers and other cast members on payroll. All of those people need to be paid out of the profits of the club - and THEN Disney still will want a piece left over. How is this to be compared to a 3-D movie that has no such overhead?

Your points are valid but I want to ask this question (not to be rude or anything, just honest) if MJ didn't pass away do you think they would have brought back EO? I find it a little too convenient that they brought it back after his death (when everyone else was capitalizing from it). I honestly do not think it would have come back had he not passed. It wasn't fans wanting it before he died, it was after he died that the ride came back and that is just what it is. I really think the ride will retire again at some point (soon) and there will be no amount of fan love that will bring it back.

pumpkin7

Your points are valid but I want to ask this question (not to be rude or anything, just honest) if MJ didn't pass away do you think they would have brought back EO? I find it a little too convenient that they brought it back after his death (when everyone else was capitalizing from it). I honestly do not think it would have come back had he not passed. It wasn't fans wanting it before he died, it was after he died that the ride came back and that is just what it is. I really think the ride will retire again at some point (soon) and there will be no amount of fan love that will bring it back.

in my opinion, i strongly believe it would have stayed in the bottom of the scrap pile, never to be seen again. no way they would have bought it back unless they thought they would be a demand. once jacko died, everyone jumped on his band wagon, forgetting about all the bad press he ever got because he would make money. i think that is the only reason they bought it back. if his family can do it, then why not disney? i think disney knew that HISTA was getting a bit (very?) old, and EO was a perfect way to cash in, even if it is just temporary, but if it takes 3 years to design something new, i can see it sticking around for that long. they wouldn't just leave it empty would they? (hmmm... WoL? lets hope not)

and also, say it didn't have michael jackson in, would it still be a bad movie? it does have more of a tomorrowland feel to it, with all the futuristic, crash landing on an alien planet story, but i guess if it was there before, then that's where it would have to go back in.

DisneyMusician2

Well then... go join the crack staff at WDI and help put one together. Remember that it usually takes 3 years to produce any kind of a feature animation... far longer than 3 months you are advocating.

Also since some people usually don't get to Disney but once a year.. then a year long run should be justifiable.

Yes I agree the 3-D footage is noticably old... especially when you've just watched another 3D film at Downtown Disney that week, but its different than what's been running the last 10+ years. Give it a break and bring up your argument to the brass in the form of a hand written letter... asking when a New 3D film will be created for the theater.

Some of us can't afford to go to Disney but once every two or three years...so a longer engagement of the cheesy, dated show whould be nice for me!:)

DisneyMusician2

It made sense. The whole world was remembering him, and this was like a weird, dated tribute. Let's just hope they have SOMETHING in the pipeline to replace it!

bugsbunny

Before you think Im a Michael Jackson basher, Im not. Thriller might just be in the 5 top albums ever made. Regardless, Captain EO was the worse piece of crap I ever saw. Once it started, it took maybe 30 seconds for me to lose interest. I took off my glasses and looked around at the other people and I could see them mouthing ? too. On our way to it as we walked passed The Land, we passed a group of teenagers and one made mention that they needed to do EO. They all responded that it was the "gayest thing they had ever seen". At this point, I have to agree. People actually like this show?

First off, you can't have a male lead actor acting tough when its pretty obvious he'd have trouble unscrewing a lid to peanut butter. And no moonwalk? His signature move isn't even in it!

When compared to other 3d shows, its like watching 2nd graders put on a school play. This is some how better than HISTA?

zooey

Before you think Im a Michael Jackson basher, Im not. Thriller might just be in the 5 top albums ever made. Regardless, Captain EO was the worse piece of crap I ever saw. Once it started, it took maybe 30 seconds for me to lose interest. I took off my glasses and looked around at the other people and I could see them mouthing ? too. On our way to it as we walked passed The Land, we passed a group of teenagers and one made mention that they needed to do EO. They all responded that it was the "gayest thing they had ever seen". At this point, I have to agree. People actually like this show?

First off, you can't have a male lead actor acting tough when its pretty obvious he'd have trouble unscrewing a lid to peanut butter. And no moonwalk? His signature move isn't even in it!

When compared to other 3d shows, its like watching 2nd graders put on a school play. This is some how better than HISTA?

You can show some people a Picasso and they will say, "It's just squares."

RonAnnArbor

The venom toward Captain EO is interesting -- especially since Michael Jackson is an international phenomenon, not just a local one....

They are also showing Captain EO at Disneyland Paris in the place of HISTA and the crowd reaction is very positive -- applause after every show.

At either rate -- Disney clearly revived this to capitalize on the Michael Jackson thing -- it's why there are souvenir carts set up directly after exiting...and the t-shirts are selling all over the park.

As cheesy as it is it's a throwback to when music videos really were mini-movies, and things were generally NOT computer graphic images...

SMRT-1

The venom toward Captain EO is interesting -- especially since Michael Jackson is an international phenomenon, not just a local one....

They are also showing Captain EO at Disneyland Paris in the place of HISTA and the crowd reaction is very positive -- applause after every show.

At either rate -- Disney clearly revived this to capitalize on the Michael Jackson thing -- it's why there are souvenir carts set up directly after exiting...and the t-shirts are selling all over the park.

As cheesy as it is it's a throwback to when music videos really were mini-movies, and things were generally NOT computer graphic images...

every time i see it at EPCOT there is applause at the end.

here are a few reasons i think some don't "get it".

1)it is supposed to be tongue a cheek.
2)many people don't get irony.
3)you don't like MJ to begin with.

it's a little gem from the 80's that should make you smile. if it doesn't your dead.

muse1983

i think i'm the only one who liked HISTA. *hides* :lookaroun not saying they shouldn't make a new video but personally i don't like EO. just my opinion & everyone is entitled to their own :wave: i just wanted to be the only one that stuck up for HISTA :lol: my fiance & I enjoyed seeing it every trip & now the only reason we go to that pavilion is for the figment ride which we enjoy which apparently we are in the minority for that too! LOL

I honestly can't wait to see EO again. It's of course more of a nostalgia thing for me though...and btw I also highly enjoyed HISTA...everything except the Kodak intro..that was brutal:lol:

bugsbunny

You can show some people a Picasso and they will say, "It's just squares."

Im not saying he doesn't have talent, I'm saying this particular piece seems to be nothing but a glorified music video at best. I remember when the Thriller video debuted on MTV back when they actually played videos. That was down right awesome compared to EO. Id rather watch that than EO on the big screen.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
On our way to it as we walked passed The Land, we passed a group of teenagers and one made mention that they needed to do EO. They all responded that it was the "gayest thing they had ever seen". At this point, I have to agree. People actually like this show?

Nice. Nice to see homophobia work its way into this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom