Captain EO

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nostalgia is one of the most potent selling points all of Disney can focus on. EO, the AC, Dreamfinder, the list goes on......

NewfieFan

Disney is about nostalgia. And anyone who is a child of the 80s will love seeing MJ in all his 80s glory over and over again. Its just the way it is... Likewise, I am sure if they find that attendance is not as much as it was HISTA, they wont hesitate to bring it back. But aside from just the attraction, EO is huge in merchandising. Next time you go, you will see people all over in EO shirts, hats, etc. They are CAPITALIZING on it being very very 80s.

My response to this ^ is this....

I was kid in the 1980's, but I never was into Micheal Jackson or his music back in the 1980's. This was not caused by my age. I watched season 1 of Transformers back in 1984 matter of fact as a kid.

Captain EO attraction is not a draw for me based on 1980's nostalgia despite my age. I heard his music back in the 1980's in one of my classes, but I wasn't into his music.

Some of the music I listened to as a kid in the 1980's is music groups or artists that you really think of back in the 1980's like Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" for an example.

Micheal Jackson was a big name of the 1980's, but not every kid from the 1980's grew up with his music and the attraction does nothing for that person.

I'm in the same boat! I'm not one bit nostalgic for MJ and I did see the attraction as well back in the day!

But it really doesn't matter whether I like his music or not. If an attraction is good... it's good! It's the age old debate around here, content doesn't really matter as long as it's a good show/attraction.

Sorry folks, but I do NOT like Captain EO at all. It was worse than I remembered and I was embrassed to have dragged my family in there. My husband said it was the cheesiest thing he had seen to date in the parks (and he loves all the classic rides). My kids (7 & 4) who pretty much love everything in all of WDW said, "Mommy, that was strange!?!" It's an old, old show which has certainly gone past it's time. The only reason it is there is because it's MJ (and the fact he passed away).

I hope it doesn't stay around... the pavilion needs help desperately and a new show would go a long way!

TimeTrip

My response to this ^ is this....

I'm in the same boat! I'm not one bit nostalgic for MJ and I did see the attraction as well back in the day!

But it really doesn't matter whether I like his music or not. If an attraction is good... it's good! It's the age old debate around here, content doesn't really matter as long as it's a good show/attraction.

Sorry folks, but I do NOT like Captain EO at all. It was worse than I remembered and I was embrassed to have dragged my family in there. My husband said it was the cheesiest thing he had seen to date in the parks (and he loves all the classic rides). My kids (7 & 4) who pretty much love everything in all of WDW said, "Mommy, that was strange!?!" It's an old, old show which has certainly gone past it's time. The only reason it is there is because it's MJ (and the fact he passed away).

I hope it doesn't stay around... the pavilion needs help desperately and a new show would go a long way!

Pretty much in total agreeance here. At the time, Captain EO was certainly a step above Magic Journeys. HISTA was then a step beyond that. The state of 3d-screen based attractions has advanced very far since those days (spiderman, ITTBAB, TSM).

Watching Captain EO was just painful. It hasn't stood the test of time well at all. However, I do concede that MJ fans probably don't care and really enjoy it :)

menamechris

Pretty much in total agreeance here. At the time, Captain EO was certainly a step above Magic Journeys. HISTA was then a step beyond that. The state of 3d-screen based attractions has advanced very far since those days (spiderman, ITTBAB, TSM).

Watching Captain EO was just painful. It hasn't stood the test of time well at all. However, I do concede that MJ fans probably don't care and really enjoy it :)

I agree with what you are saying. EO was never meant to be taken seriously. I certainly never did. And no one in their right mind would expect every single person to like Michael Jackson or the attraction itself (that's just crazy to assume that about ANY attraction). I think the discussion has been more about why it made good business sense for Disney to bring it back. It's not really about liking or not liking it, its about Disney making the best use of the pavillion until they have other plans for it (which do not seem to be forecoming any time soon). And for much needed updates that everyone is crying for (which I agree with) you need to be bringing in as much money as you possibly can off of every attraction. Quite frankly, Ellen is a far more expensive attraction that needs far more work (basically an overhaul). She doesn't even look like that anymore. So if you don't like EO, that is totally cool - but at least be happy that Disney is making bank on t-shirts, hats, keychains, posters. That money is desperately needed if you want anything to be updated at the park.

NewfieFan

I agree with what you are saying. EO was never meant to be taken seriously. I certainly never did. And no one in their right mind would expect every single person to like Michael Jackson or the attraction itself (that's just crazy to assume that about ANY attraction). I think the discussion has been more about why it made good business sense for Disney to bring it back. It's not really about liking or not liking it, its about Disney making the best use of the pavillion until they have other plans for it (which do not seem to be forecoming any time soon). And for much needed updates that everyone is crying for (which I agree with) you need to be bringing in as much money as you possibly can off of every attraction. Quite frankly, Ellen is a far more expensive attraction that needs far more work (basically an overhaul). She doesn't even look like that anymore. So if you don't like EO, that is totally cool - but at least be happy that Disney is making bank on t-shirts, hats, keychains, posters. That money is desperately needed if you want anything to be updated at the park.

Well, it'd be great if some of that money would go back into updating the pavilion but I doubt it! I'm pretty sure they could have sold the stuff without putting the 3D movie back in there! :lol:

mrtoad

Jumping in as somebody who never saw it when originally it was here.

We went to WDW the week of Thanksgiving this year and had a chance to see it. While I found it entertaining if only for the 1980's hair factor, I would not be scrambling to go over and see it again. Special effects were kind of week in terms of what is available today. That being said there are many attractions at WDW that would have what is also considered outdated special effects that I still love to do.

Also even though the parks were fairly crowded due to being Thanksgiving week, the theater did not fill up.

Unfortunately that pavilion which was once a very nice one, is such a dead area of EPCOT. We hardly ever go on the ride there either, only when we need to kill some time before a meal or something and no that it is a quick ride with zero line (for the CMs that work there is must be a lonely day waiting for some guests to talk to).

I personally think the whole pavilion needs to be rethought, shut down, gutted and reimagined. For a pavilion that is supposed to be about imagination, it sorely is lacking any....

raven

That's a sad fact...if it is indeed a fact....that they can not come up with something better than a 20 year old recycled movie about that freak.

It speaks volumes about the lack of imagination and creativity in WDI.....

Corrected statement here:

It's not WDI that's the problem, it's the management and executives that don't want to spend to turn WDI's concepts into realities.

There is already an Imag 4.0 concept waiting in the wings, so to speak. TDO just needs to let go of that money but they'd rather keep building DVC's.

The HISTA marquee is behind China just sitting in a couple of parking spaces by the paint shed and it looks beat up. But I think EO is merely a placeholder for something else soon...er, rather...down the road I guess.

JEANYLASER

I love Captain EO because of his music and dancing! I glad that Captain EO is going to Stay! Here we are to Change the World and Another Part of Me my favorite song from Captain EO!

imagineer boy

I really don't want Captain Eo to stay. Sure it was fun for a return beause of MJ's death, but the movie is dated and IMHO the movie on its own is not that good. The cheesiness factor is off the charts.

lebeau

From a purely selfish p.o.v. and because I love to say "I told you so" a small part of me would like Eo to stick around long enough that all the people who were happy to see it come back start begging for Disney to get rid of the thing.

My opinion has always been that it never should have been brought back to begin with. The next incarnation of the Imagination Pavillion can't get here soon enough for me.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
sorry! I say it wrong! I meant to say is that Captain Eo have to go and put something interesting!

Well, Jeany, I think Captain EO will leave eventually, but not until Disney decides what they're going to do with that space....:)

dreamfinder

Except for the fact it plays double the shows HISTA audience does and packs in more people. In the last week I've seen it pay to 3/4 full theaters around 6 PM as Journey can not even fill 2 rows. A year ago the same could not be said for HISTA.

Which doesn't actually say much. You could swap out any attraction at WDW for a like style attractions, and it would most likely have a similar attendance bump. Sheer curiosity. For every guest who saw it in the 80's and is back for nostalgia purposes, I imagine there is another guest who is only there because last 2 trips they saw HISTA, and now there is something different. The same way that O' Canada got a bump when they redid that film. People wanted to see what was different, and then over time the bump will fade. If it truly was an outstanding attraction the theatres would be full. In what, the span of a year it went from lines outside the door, to 3/4 full max? (And when I saw it a few months ago it was 1/2 full tops) Philharmagic and Muppetvision can still pull in similar crowds to what I have seen and then have been there for years.

I'm not saying that HISTA didn't need to be replaced, cause it definitely did, but saying that EO is that much of a better film and will be a good permanent attraction is a big stretch.

disneyWX

I visited in Nov, and I honestly think I enjoyed it more now than I did when I was younger. Everyone keeps talking about the lackluster effects, but they were quite interactive and are what caught me by surprise. (I don't recall experiencing these back in the '90s...)

Having said the above, I should add that while I enjoy some of MJ's music, I've never been a devout fan.

...Given some of the earlier comments, I should also add that I am one of those who prefer "old school" Disney! :wave:

aladdin2007

I was hoping the new Staggs would get onto TDO about things such as Imagination, but I guess the man cant correct everything over night. Still though I guess my point is it would be nice if Burbank/Glendale would get under TDO's skin.

Alektronic

I visited in Nov, and I honestly think I enjoyed it more now than I did when I was younger. Everyone keeps talking about the lackluster effects, but they were quite interactive and are what caught me by surprise. (I don't recall experiencing these back in the '90s...)

The effects are different, they put in the movie but not any of the original effects, they just reused HISTA's effects and adapted to the original EO movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom