Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

wdwmomof3

When I see SSE in person as it stands today, I am still in awe of it as a structure, and I always look up at it with a huge grin as I enter the park each and every time. The wand has never bothered me that much.

But the more and more I see these photos of what SSE would look like wandless in today's Epcot, the more and more I wish they would just take it down. I can't help thinking that it's just of a bit silly, unnecessary addition to a design and engineering marvel. It's kinda like how I much prefer Cinderella Castle in its original form than with the big mirror on for HCOE. I thought it looked just plain odd.

I am with you on this. At first I was thinking "what!" I love the wand but after looking back at some of the pictures with out the wand, it's beautiful!

AEfx

Time to move on to the MGM Hat Debate?

Unfortunately, the Hat is there to stay. I've grown accustomed to it; yes, it completely ruins the original intent of walking through the entrance and seeing the theater, but then again it always was a more esoteric reference to begin with. I'm sure it was lost on many, if not most, people. And the hat actually fits.

The wand, on the other hand, is an abomination because it completely ruins one of the world's most recognizable and famous architectural achievements. It's not BLOCKING the view as the hat does, it actually ruins the architecture design. You can still see the Chinese theater, although not from the optimum angle, but you can't see SSE and it's beauty without that ugly trash in the way.

Let's hope it really happens...Epcot has been going a bit retro lately (love the merch) and actually returning SSE to it's former glory would be such a plus in my eyes I'd put up with most anything. Epcot really has come so far in the last few years that this would be the icing on a great, rehabbed cake.

AEfx

dxwwf3

Unfortunately, the Hat is there to stay. I've grown accustomed to it; yes, it completely ruins the original intent of walking through the entrance and seeing the theater, but then again it always was a more esoteric reference to begin with. I'm sure it was lost on many, if not most, people. And the hat actually fits.

The wand, on the other hand, is an abomination because it completely ruins one of the world's most recognizable and famous architectural achievements. It's not BLOCKING the view as the hat does, it actually ruins the architecture design. You can still see the Chinese theater, although not from the optimum angle, but you can't see SSE and it's beauty without that ugly trash in the way.

I completely agree. While I do miss seeing the Chinese Theater while walking down Hollywood Blvd., I don't think there is any comparison between the Hat and the Wand. And you hit the nail on the head why. And looking at each one individually, I think the Hat just looks a lot better anyways. It doesn't look cheap and out of date like I felt the wand did. So I think it is important to note that not everyone who is against the wand hates the Hat. Two totally different things.

imagineer boy

Yeah, there's a big difference between the wand and the hat. The hat is a nice looking structure, but in the wrong place. The wand is horriffically tacky AND in the wrong place.

Champion

Let's hope it really happens...Epcot has been going a bit retro lately (love the merch) and actually returning SSE to it's former glory would be such a plus in my eyes I'd put up with most anything. Epcot really has come so far in the last few years that this would be the icing on a great, rehabbed cake.

AEfx

I always thought the REAL reason behind the hat was in case they ever wanted to remove or gut the theater. GMR is different then SSE and ITTBAB because eventually the movies on GMR will be so out of date that no one will care what they are. Heck, some of them are already there - Alien, for one. With the hat, they could do what they wanted with the GMR space and not have it be the first thing you see upon entering. Whether thats a retheme or a complete removal and then a new attraction.

sittle

... but I don't believe it's achieved the status or magnitude of say the Great Wall or the Effiel Tower yet. Once again just my opinion...

I think people could identify the Geosphere as readily as the could identify the Great Wall, perhaps not as quickly as say the White House, or the eiffel tour, but certainly it's on par with the Louvré, B__________gham palace and the like... I certainly think it's up there....

P.S If you had read most of my posts you'd see that I covered a wide variety and array of fine art and modern architecture as well as modern art and classical architecture.

Also I did not say "a person is ignorant or suffers from a lack of culture because they like or dislike a work of art or a architectural structure"

I said "You just don't mess with classic pieces...Anyone who disagree's with this is ignorant to the inherent beauty of the designers original intent, and frankly you should think about getting more cultured in respect to the arts..." And I stand behind that. If you disagree try reading some of my other posts in this thread, I'm not here to change minds, I'm here to state the facts.

The facts are something that is the case, or that which can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation. As I said, it's a fact that the Epcot geosphere is a well known piece of architecture and a classic on par with Great Wall, Cn Tower, Guggenheim. Because it is as identifiable and have broke changed perceived notions in their field. Of course precise definition of "fact" depends on the context and academic discipline of the subject. In the field of architecture, the Geosphere is well regarded...FACT

Multiquotes can work really well, but you have to know how to make them work for you.

CBOMB

I think people could identify the Geosphere as readily as the could identify the Great Wall, perhaps not as quickly as say the White House, or the eiffel tour, but certainly it's on par with the Louvré, B__________gham palace and the like... I certainly think it's up there....

P.S If you had read most of my posts you'd see that I covered a wide variety and array of fine art and modern architecture as well as modern art and classical architecture.

Also I did not say "a person is ignorant or suffers from a lack of culture because they like or dislike a work of art or a architectural structure"

I said "You just don't mess with classic pieces...Anyone who disagree's with this is ignorant to the inherent beauty of the designers original intent, and frankly you should think about getting more cultured in respect to the arts..." And I stand behind that. If you disagree try reading some of my other posts in this thread, I'm not here to change minds, I'm here to state the facts.

The facts are something that is the case, or that which can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation. As I said, it's a fact that the Epcot geosphere is a well known piece of architecture and a classic on par with Great Wall, Cn Tower, Guggenheim. Because it is as identifiable and have broke changed perceived notions in their field. Of course precise definition of "fact" depends on the context and academic discipline of the subject. In the field of architecture, the Geosphere is well regarded...FACT

Multiquotes can work really well, but you have to know how to make them work for you.
Her's a single quote. What you say are only opinions of how certain people perceive things not fact. Yes SSE is an engineering marvel yes SSE is well reguarded in the field of architecture, and engineering. If you choose to put it up there with the other things you mention that is your opinion. I seriously doubt if you know anything about my understanding of the arts or architectual design. I will not try to say that my statements are facts they are not. Just opinions like yours and I would never limit myself to such shallow thinking as to tell some person to get some culture when their opinions differed from mine. I will point out shallow reasoning when a person uses words like ignorant to describe people with different opinions though. I will take you up on trying to get more cultured in respect to art, but silly old ignorant non-cultured me will probably still only like what I choose to, not what others opinions not facts dictate. Now my suggestion to you is to learn how to express an opinion without saying a person with different opinions lack culure and are ignorant, deal.

CrashNet

murf, I may be mistaken as I haven't seen it in a while, but I think most if not all of the lighting required to rotate through the colors on SSE are still up there, they just aren't used. I think they pointed some of the lighting towards the wand when it was added. Could be wrong.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
murf, I may be mistaken as I haven't seen it in a while, but I think most if not all of the lighting required to rotate through the colors on SSE are still up there, they just aren't used. I think they pointed some of the lighting towards the wand when it was added. Could be wrong.
I believe you are right--a few updates and we could easily have that very cool lighting return.

WDW Monorail

Those pictures look amazing with the crystal. I hope that someting is done to the entrance fountain.

Does anyone know if the crystal is still intact and if Disney still owns it?

Vernonpush

Those pictures look amazing with the crystal. I hope that someting is done to the entrance fountain.

Does anyone know if the crystal is still intact and if Disney still owns it?
Sold on MouseSurplus.
"Get your Epcot stars, before they come down! We are taking bids now. be the first to have a piece of the "wand" in your own home".:ROFLOL:

KevinPage

I like the wand, but not upset over it going away. I enjoyed it for these many years and have no problem with going back the the "original form".

Why people complain more about "the wand" than the "the hat" is beyond my comprehension. That stinking hat is wedged into place and makes the whole are feel ay more "busy" than it should be. I had no problem with it being first installed, but it's run it's course.

Then again, MGM needs a huge overhaul in many many areas. Rubble everything except TOT & RnRC :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Dizknee_Phreek

did all the "I hate the Wand! It makes me cry!" people decide to take a vacation this week or something?
:lol: Apparently so!

yodathefrog said:
I fall on the side of loving the fact that the wand is coming down. I relate the whole wand thing to the "Castle Cake" for the 25th Birthday of Magic Kingdom. Alot of people came to the park and where amused by the fact that it had been added to. Yet, this flew in the face of the original purpose of the castle. It was designed to be as is, not to be plussed in any way. SSE was designed to be a giant geodesic sphere, and I believe it is still one of a kind. That's enough...it alone makes it unique and awe inspiring. The wand was added purely as a promotional gimic for the 2000 Celebration, much like the castle cake exterior for the 25th. Sure, first time guests probably weren't as upset as long time Disney fans...I remember being very indifferent about the cake. But, when they took it off, as I'm sure whil happen with SSE...there was this "oooohhhh, that's why those people wanted it removed," kind of feeling. The landmarks are the face of the parks. Rides can change, times can change, but these things are what people remember.
Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed!!! I always really liked the Castle Cake...I thought it was a really cool way to celebrate the 25th. Yeah, there were a lot of people that hated the pink, and thought it destroyed the castle, etc. But I really liked it. And I also really liked the wand...when it was "2000". The moment they changed it to "Epcot" and made it more permanent, I hated it. Had they kept the castle pink with inflatable icing and candles after the 25th, I would've hated that too. Don't even get me started on that hat.
Now, am I saying all these little additions were absolutely horrible? No, not at all. It's when they wear out their welcome when they become a problem. Some people like these additions...others don't...that's the way of EVERYTHING in the parks. Disney will NEVER please EVERYONE with EVERYTHING. It's impossible. So really these debates are pretty much pointless. But as yodathefrog said, these things are the ICONS of the park...they were built to be as-is. Yes, go ahead and decorate them for special occasions...but once the celebration has ended, remove them or move them.

AEfx

I always thought the REAL reason behind the hat was in case they ever wanted to remove or gut the theater. GMR is different then SSE and ITTBAB because eventually the movies on GMR will be so out of date that no one will care what they are. Heck, some of them are already there - Alien, for one. With the hat, they could do what they wanted with the GMR space and not have it be the first thing you see upon entering. Whether thats a retheme or a complete removal and then a new attraction.

I don't think that would really matter. The external theming of the Chinese Theater has nothing to do what films are presented in the attraction. They could easily update the animatronic scenes and leave the exterior.

As a fan of Hollywood history I have to fully disagree with no one caring about them - especially since Alien is now old enough to be considered "classic". But that's a whole other message board, LOL. I do agree that several scenes - notably Tarzan - could be easily replaced. However, I think they will have a hard time ever replacing the attraction itself as it's virtually the only family ride in the park.

AEfx

tirian

Cool.
As I stated in the other thread a day or two ago, money has been the issue. Once the budget was allocated, and the actual source of the money was determined, it was a done deal.
Looks like that may have happened.

Let's give a big "Thank You" to Siemens, too, since they insisted the thing come down ASAP. (They were here recently.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom