Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Jenerella

I completely agree. It's bad enough that a little 12 yr. old boy is dead, and some of these threads are full of heartless and thoughtless things. I can't imagine that some of these people have even have kids, given their stupid mindless comments. My heart goes out to that family and I hope that these
ridiculous comments can stop.

Mr D

I totally agree about tons of heartless threads about this, most just are immature posters I assume.

This issue of undiagnosed pre-existing medical problems will not go away unfortunately. Its a safe bet Disney will reevaluate its future rides from now on and yes I expect more "taming" of existing rides like MS, does anyone possibly know if the boy may have ridden Mission Space earlier?

I for one would gladly love to see a lot less stomache churning rides and more immersive themed shows instead. Let the other parks have those types of rides.

I have a 12 year old son, is he healthy? I dunno, should I spend tons of money to have him checked out before we go back to WDW? I think instead I will just not take any chances and when we go we will avoid the intensive rides, its not worth losing my only son for.

I feel so sad for the family and if there was a fault of Disney like poorly trained ride operators recently employed then I hope they sue for millions.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
jaredliu said:
Sometimes I am wondering why not people like you die on the ride and I could save my sorrow and smypathy and even feel good for the day.

Now now, im amazed that someone who has such an outflowing of compassion for the death of someone they never knew could show such hatred for someone who does not share similar grief.

Tiz a funny old world.

One of my wifes team, shes a paediatric nurse, had to deal with a kid who was dealt a skull crush injury from the wheel of a cement truck, it was the kids 18th, that was tragic but wasnt even on the local news, but a death in a US themepark was. It would appear thar peace is not the only thing that sells.

Death my freinds comes to us all, but it appears that where it happens makes it worth noticing.

dixiegirl

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Now now, im amazed that someone who has such an outflowing of compassion for the death of someone they never knew could show such hatred for someone who does not share similar grief.

Tiz a funny old world.

One of my wifes team, shes a paediatric nurse, had to deal with a kid who was dealt a skull crush injury from the wheel of a cement truck, it was the kids 18th, that was tragic but wasnt even on the local news, but a death in a US themepark was. It would appear thar peace is not the only thing that sells.

Death my freinds comes to us all, but it appears that where it happens makes it worth noticing.

wow...that's good...kinda remind me of gill grisom..(CSI)....very true though..the quote that is...it is sad because it's disney it has to be more public...

mayrag

My deepest sympathy are for this family. Just imagine, after planning you yearly vacation to Disney, maybe it was the first time for the boy. After all the expectation, all the waiting, and ending in this tragedy. It is just awful. And worst if the boy didn't have any medical condition that could've warn the family.

It is very sad to hear this news.....

LudwigVonDrake

The Father is saying that his son didn't have any pre-existing conditions so it should be interesting to hear the autopsy results.

The reason this is a big deal is because it happened in a Disney theme park so soon after a couple of deaths on Mission:Space.

My condolences to the family.

Iakona

LudwigVonDrake said:
The Father is saying that his son didn't have any pre-existing conditions so it should be interesting to hear the autopsy results.

The reason this is a big deal is because it happened in a Disney theme park so soon after a couple of deaths on Mission:Space.

My condolences to the family.

Just because they did not know of a pre-existing condition does not mean he did not have one. A certain % of people wlak around everyday with pre-existing condition in apparent perfect health.

THis is just a nother example of the orlando Slantinal bending the truth and stretching it across the country to hurt disny'es buisness. this is very odd that something like this should be blasted across national news when people die at themeparks around the country and world all the time but you never here any news unless it's local. DIsney needs to realize they are being attacked by the media and should buy out the orlando sentinal to stop these things from being announced nationally.

BRER STITCH

I'm not even going to offer a comment on the actual situation, but....

As someone coming to this topic to find out information about the story, I would like to suggest that when these things happen - and they will again - that we all just ASSUME that everyone here is sorry for the family and everyone involved. As fans of WDW, and human beings, our condolences are a given.

The thread would be a lot easier to follow without repeating that sentiment to a family who most likely will never see these posts. I suppose the better option would be to send the family a card directly.

Perhaps we could learn how to keep a thread for actual NEWS about the incident, and another for DEBATE, SPECULATION, and INNUENDO??

Good idea or bad...?

Just a thought....

:(

Marge10369

BRER STITCH said:
I'm not even going to offer a comment on the actual situation, but....

As someone coming to this topic to find out information about the story, I would like to suggest that when these things happen - and they will again - that we all just ASSUME that everyone here is sorry for the family and everyone involved. As fans of WDW, and human beings, our condolences are a given.

The thread would be a lot easier to follow without repeating that sentiment to a family who most likely will never see these posts. I suppose the better option would be to send the family a card directly.

Perhaps we could learn how to keep a thread for actual NEWS about the incident, and another for DEBATE, SPECULATION, and INNUENDO??

Just a thought....

:(

Good idea or bad...?

No debating, speculations or innuendos here...Just a thought..Life is so fleeting - remember to tell your child, spouse, companion, friends or whoever is special in your life, you love them as often as you can. Sorry this isn't news, just a reminder - I know I forget.

WDWFREAK53

Leslie said:
When I read the post about the people that they interviewed I felt I had to post. Right now both of my sons are CM's at Disney. One of them actually works at RnR. Today however he was not working, which for a mother is a relief. I wanted to comment that I do feel very sorry for the family and the CM's that will always remember this. The Orlando Sentinel apparently is just fishing for a story. I know for a fact that the CM's are put through an extensive training program before they are even allowed to work at the attraction. Disney gives much more training than other theme parks.

I also will share that my son has been cursed for NOT letting a child that is just under the height requirement to ride RnR. He takes his job very seriously and will NOT let children ride that are not supposed to, even if the parents throw a fit!

There I feel better now!

I'm sure your son is a great CM but even he wouldn't have stopped this 12 year old boy from riding because he knew the kid had some unknown condition. This is the problem and the "shady" area...if it was an unknown condition that was pre-existing...even the parents probably wouldn't know. Some conditions would never be picked up even through regular physicals...so...you can't blame the parents if this was the case...you can't blame ANYONE. Sure, there are signs posted regarding safety and telling you not to ride if...(insert list of warnings). But, if you're unaware that you or your child has these conditions...you can't be held at fault. Likewise, Disney can't either.

If the child didn't make the height requirement...Disney would've been at fault 100% (even if the child had a pre-existing condition). I highly doubt that height was an issue in this case.

Now, if the ride actually physically hurt the child and he had no pre-existing conditions...then it needs to be looked into a little more. (But, likewise...all rides in it's "class" need to be looked at...not just this one.) If the launch caused it...then all coasters with an extreme launch need to be looked at. Right now, we can only chalk it up to a freak accident. A very sad one.

LudwigVonDrake

Iakona said:
Just because they did not know of a pre-existing condition does not mean he did not have one. A certain % of people wlak around everyday with pre-existing condition in apparent perfect health.

I was only stating a fact. I wasn't insinuating that the boy didn't have a pre-existing condition. I don't know the kid's health.

bgraham34

Its terrible that this has happened. I am just glad it was not a 5 year old. Some pre existing condition should have caused this.

WDWCPF98

When I signed on to wdwmagic.com yesterday I was shocked to see this thread. I was sad to learn there was another accident at WDW.

My sympathies go to the family.

I think we are all very curious to know what happened yesterday. It is too bad we don't have more detailed information.

My impression from the articles I've read this morning was that the boy was pulled from the coaster and CPR was begun. Without making any speculations about the day's events I will just say I was very surprised to hear that. I would have expected to read that CPR was started an ambulance. My first thought would be that the boy simply passed out.

Captain Chaos

bferrara16 said:
PS- how does a ride that has a maximum speed of 57mph go from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds?

If the maximum speed of RNRC is only 57 MPH, then Disney better change their website....

Aerosmith's having a backstage party across town and you're invited. Ready to brave the LA freeways? Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen.

executivechef

The really sad fact of this is the loss of life in general.

Another sad fact is that until all the facts are in people on this site have posted over 15 pages of finger pointing, guessing and blame games etc....
Wait until all the facts are in and then you can bash people for not reading the signs and media with the wrong reports and Disney getting the bad attention. It's almost as though people need something to go on and on about. Sad when the death of a child keep blogs going on forever. Let it go until the facts are in people.
Guy

Leslie

My comments about the CM's and my son were directed at the remarks made by one of the people that the Orlando Sentinel interviewed. I'm sure being 12 he would have clearly made the height requirement. I just wanted to clearify that the CM's do know their safety and will prevent accidents that they can see.

He is at work today, so I will know more tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom