Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

erasure fan1

LudwigVonDrake said:
Why should someone jump a TV reporter doing what his network told him to do? For reporting on a death in one of the most popular family vacation destinations in the world? This is sad, unfortunate news. But it is news and it will be reported.

No one should jump anyone of course. Again I dont remember a reporter in front of Disney reporting on the 77yr old lady who died on Pirates. That was also in the most popular family vacation destination. Was she not a mother, grandmother... If one is news they are both news. Thats my problem with the media, and why I think many take issue with them on this.

beyondthepalace

After all the unfortunate incidents lately, how come Disney does not put defibulators at each attraction near the platform?? Having a few walk around the park is not a good way of handling it. Hell, even UO has them everywhere, even in the childrens play areas!

PixiePrincess

My condolences to the family. I can't imagine.
Here's a thought, perhaps we should stop speculating until the facts are revealed. Even then, facts or not, a life was lost. Will it stop anyone from visiting Disney? Will Disney be hurt by this?
Absolutely not, and in a year from now this little boy will be forgotten while we're all enjoying our vacations at Disney, so how about for now, we simply send our condolences and leave it at that? Just a thought....

DisneySaint

erasure fan1 said:
No one should jump anyone of course. Again I dont remember a reporter in front of Disney reporting on the 77yr old lady who died on Pirates. That was also in the most popular family vacation destination. Was she not a mother, grandmother... If one is news they are both news. Thats my problem with the media, and why I think many take issue with them on this.

I'm with you and, honestly, they're just trying to provoke a reaction from communities and from Disney to give them a bigger news story.

cdunbar

It is extremley sad that a boy so young had to die, but as we all have known with the recent mission space deaths, that most of these people have had pre-existing conditions and were not aware of it. Do I think people should have an extrmely expensive physical before they come to disney? No, this is extremley unrealistic but I do think that every few years a person should have one, I mean for their own sakes as well as their families so they can prepare themselves if something is going to happen. It is unforunate that the young man is no longer with us but it could of been as simple as it was his time or something else for all we know. I believe that we should all remain calm and not turn against each other until we have gotten the autopsy results unfortunaley those will proably not be released to the public today, though I could be wrong, I think this is a wait and see situation. Once again, my greatest symapthy to the family....

pjkaok

All in all i think people just need to take better care of themselves. Get everything checked out so you can gauge your activities by the limitations of your bodies. The warning signs are there for a reason. Most (if not all) of the deaths are cause by unknown illnesses in the people who assume everything is ok and their ride on M:S or RNRC will be just like the person in front of them, and when stuff hits the fan disney is blamed for faulty rides. Lame.

bp123

It's a matter of statistics and popularity. WDW is as big and popular as it gets, attracting a LOT of people. Statistics being what they are, you're bound to have something occur eventually. Of course, being WDW it gets immediate and loud attention when something does occur.

I've got a crappy amusement park around the corner and two people have died there in the last year... The "rides" are a joke. But it does happen.

Pre-existing conditions can happen anywhere, anytime. I guess if you step out of your mundane life and step into an amusement park... You might just trigger it. Or not.

Oh yeah. Hi, everyone. Disney addict here. Favorite is the original EPCOT. ;)

sleepybear

dopey said:
I’m sure those cursing the media for all this horrible, slanted reporting on this tragic accident would be happy if there were only positive stories about Disney.

Oh, sure, THAT would be objective.

Folks, it’s OK to visit Fantasyland, but you can’t live there!

(And, BTW, when did the acronym “” become acceptable on this family-oriented website?)

Perhaps the news reports would be more to your liking if they started with a few paragraphs about the addition of that jolly rogue Captain Jack Sparrow to the PotC attraction. Maybe mention how much everyone loves Johnny Depp. Go into detail about the ride, its history, blah, blah, blah.

And then, far, far, far down in the BREAKING NEWS REPORT, add something about how “some boy died on a roller coaster in Orlando.”

Gee whiz, if you don’t know the definition of “news,” you don’t have much credibility when you criticize it.

With all due respect, nobody is “fishing for a story.” There IS a story! It’s the story of a boy who went on a ride that most 12-year-old boys love and will be going back home in a box. And people accuse the media of being heartless?!!!

If this were your son, would you want the media to ignore it? Just brush it under the rug because reporting it would upset a bunch of nitwits who care more about holding onto some impossible illusion of a perfectly safe, happy world is more important than human life? Good Lord.

Neither CNN nor the Orlando Sentinel are going to make more money off this story. Did anybody here pay to log on to their websites to get this news? Is Universal going to buy more ads because of this story? The fact is the Sentinel could lose Disney advertising money if the company thought it was being unfairly portrayed.

As someone who works in the news business, you're right on the money! And thank you for your defense.

Apparently, every time a person dies at Disney World, the real tragedy to some people on these boards is the negative press it generates. Trust me, no one in the media sees a story about a dead boy at Disney World and starts celebrating. My first reaction was, "Oh, no. That's horrible." I suspect that's how many people in the media reacted.

Trust me, there is no evil plan hatched by newspaper editors to bring down Walt Disney World, one of the largest advertisers in the country. Like you, we all wish it remained accident-free and happy-ever-after.

Piebald

I didn't want to blurt this out initially because I'm not 100% sure if it is true, but word in the park is that CM's noticed that the parents (or father specifically) forced the child onto the ride. If this is in fact true, no matter what the outcome of the autopsy or whatever, I feel very bad for the family. :(

Of course they're in all our prayers as no one should have to live through this regardless of where you are and what youre doing. Being at WDW or a little league baseball game or on a boy scout trip just makes it all the more harder to swallow since essentially you and your family are just trying to have a good time.

GothMickey

pjkaok said:
All in all i think people just need to take better care of themselves. Get everything checked out so you can gauge your activities by the limitations of your bodies. The warning signs are there for a reason. Most (if not all) of the deaths are cause by unknown illnesses in the people who assume everything is ok and their ride on M:S or RNRC will be just like the person in front of them, and when stuff hits the fan disney is blamed for faulty rides. Lame.

Then explain the 4 year old boy.. His own doctor didn't even diagnose him with the heart problem... It may not be fair to blame Disney, but some conditions are not always picked up by physicals and examinations... there are conditions that go undetected... not saying Disney should not build thrill rides, but, if someone had a check up and nothing was diagnosed, why shouldn't they assume they are healthy enough to ride???

GothMickey

Piebald said:
I didn't want to blurt this out initially because I'm not 100% sure if it is true, but word in the park is that CM's noticed that the parents (or father specifically) forced the child onto the ride. If this is in fact true, no matter what the outcome of the autopsy or whatever, I feel very bad for the family. :(

Of course they're in all our prayers as no one should have to live through this regardless of where you are and what youre doing. Being at WDW or a little league baseball game or on a boy scout trip just makes it all the more harder to swallow since essentially you and your family are just trying to have a good time.

Where did you hear this?

Timmay

beyondthepalace said:
After all the unfortunate incidents lately, how come Disney does not put defibulators at each attraction near the platform?? Having a few walk around the park is not a good way of handling it. Hell, even UO has them everywhere, even in the childrens play areas!

I think there is a lack of understanding and knowledge when it comes to defibrillators, especially AED (automated external defibrillator). I think most of the folks here would pass out if they actually knew what a difib does.

Okay class, a quick lesson so we can stop worrying about the AED's
A difibrillator is not the magic machine you might believe. It is not used for just any unconscious or unresponsive person, much less every cardiac arrest (heart attack). The difibrillator is used for two reasons...only one of which is relavent here, or to an AED. The heart MUST be in a rhytm called Ventricular Fibrillation for the AED or manual defibrillator to be used, well, to be properly used, anyway. Ventricular Fibrillation, or V Fib, is when the heart is sort of "quivering", shall we say. It is beating, but beating in many of the electrical nodes found in the heart, so blood is not being pumped as it should. (picture a small sack of worms just kind of wiggling)

Okay, so what you see on TV or movies is crap...you see docs and others use defibrillators on any and every type of cardiac arrest. Nope, sorry, they are worthless on all EXCEPT the V Fib.

So how does it work...simple really. The defibrillator (figuerd out why it is called that yet?) will "shock" the heart and CAUSE IT TO STOP BEATING (don't pass out on me)...and hope that when and if the heart restarts it can "reset" itself and begin a normal rhythm. Alot of times, the heart stays stopped and then the defibrillator becomes useless.

Proper CPR is still the most effective tool for cardiac arrest.

pax_65

Videoteck said:
Yes someone agrees with me! I posted about caution pages ago.

The thing is, I trust Disney much more than I would a local carnival or something. I was at the beach a few weeks ago and saw the shabby shape of some of the boardwalk rides. I was extremely cautious and didn't let my kids ride much at all. But I believe Disney rides are extremely safe - of course nothing is 100% safe, but I think Disney overall does a really good job of safety at WDW. (I know DL had some problems a few years ago, though.)

Senderella

I'm not sure how accurate this is- maybe someone can shed some light?- but 2 news stories I saw last night are reporting RnRc is comparable to an (I may get this completely wrong because I have no knowledge of military planes) F-14 bomber as far as speed.

haveyoumetmark

The local news here in Tampa at noon just reported the facts, nothing else, it only ran for a minute or so. The newspaper did the same, except that they interviewed a local pediatrician who said, "The ride is intense, but it's not anymore intense than a regular rollercoaster." The newspaper stated that the pediatrician thought that the boy probably suffered a sever seizure or arrhythmia, which is a disruption in the heart's rythmic beating, which can stop bloodflow to the brain. An autopsy will be done today, but we may not know the cause of death for another 12 to 16 weeks.

drduck

Listen, and I can't stress this enough. This boy's unfortunate death, and most of the others that have happened at the "world" this year, are just examples of our idiotic outlook on health. By and large, most people think that health is how you "feel". It is most certainly not. Health is how you "function". There is a huge difference, here.

The top three killers for women are Cancer, Heart Disease, and Stroke. None of these disease processes have any symptoms until they are so far advanced that they are hard to stop. Anyone in my field will tell you that it is so important to have regular health screenings, in order to stop these types of diseases before they manifest symptoms.

Are our current health screenings enough? They probably are not. But we are so worried about putting out fires, rather than preventing, that we shoot ourselves in the foot. One of the latest studies that I have read, has claimed that one out of every three girls born today, will live to see over 100. We have got to change how we screen for health and look for health. One talkbacker jokingly suggested full, indepth physicals before a trip to Orlando. I seriously think that we need one good, indepth physical a year, and specialized testing every four to five years, even children.

In short, preventative medicine and proper understanding of health are two keys to stopping this madness and preserving our quality of life. The deaths are unfortunate, but they could still be prevented, if we would just educate our patients a little bit better.

haveyoumetmark

Senderella said:
I'm not sure how accurate this is- maybe someone can shed some light?- but 2 news stories I saw last night are reporting RnRc is comparable to an (I may get this completely wrong because I have no knowledge of military planes) F-14 bomber as far as speed.

That's what Disney says on their website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom