Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

rbrower

edwardtc said:
It's sad that people lose loved ones at Disney World - but we have to understand (which the moron on the news last night didn't) that these people with these pre-existing conditions could have died ANYWHERE. Had they been riding the school bus to school and it slammed on its breaks...or even riding in their family car (which goes faster than any ride at WDW). It's 100% unfair to say that a ride killed someone. It merely, and coincidentally, was the outside factor that activated the sequence of events that was destined to happen anyway.

This is what I was trying to say. I feel bad for the families but they should have been more careful. It could have happened anywhere!

PintoColvig

edwardtc said:
And the sad part is that Cletus is sitting at home watching that going, "Gol-leeee....that disneyland company done kilt that yungin! Thems should be locked up in the slammer."

Derogatory Southern stereotyping. Some people just can't help themselves. :zipit:

alitressa

"As for the comments on AEDs and CPR - here's my take. I wish there were NO AEDs sitting around, just for anyone to grab and use. Thank goodness that here in Indiana we have a Good Samaritan law that says if you, in your best interests, attempt to save someone's life and hurt or kill them in the process, you are not held liable. I don't know the laws of other states, and even with my CPR and First Aid training (OSHA required in construction), I would be hesitant to help anyone, and i CERTANLY won't go grab an AED and shock someone. Like Timmay explained very nicely, if you use it for the wrong reason, or even use it incorrectly, you could do more harm than good. I definately don't want Cletus (yes, the same one as before) seeing me keel over in a roller coaster and decide to use the AED on me, merely assuming that Cletus has NO medical training whatsoever, like most people."

Most likely during your next CPR recertification, you will receive training on the use of an AED. They are extremely simple to use (as many other posts have indicated, but many must have missed reading) and you can't not use them incorrectly, doing more harm than good-the machine won't let you. The same goes for CPR - IF YOU DO NOTHING, THE PERSON DIES. I would personally rather have someone break my ribs trying to help me than not help at all. I cannot believe that we live in a time where people would rather die or let someone else die b/c you don't want or don' t want Cletus to mistakenly do the wrong thing in an attempt to save a life and be criticized for it. That thinking demonstrates little compasion or respect for our fellow man and I hope Cletus and not you are around if heaven forbid me or any of my family needs help.

wdwishes2005

It would depend on the person. ( I plan on taking CPR classes soon) If it was someone I knew in any state I would., or if I was in a state I knew would not keep me liable if the person would still die I would perform it on anyone.

dopey

rbrower said:
sorry if I sounded a little harsh when I said that. I really do feel sorry for the family and I didn't mean to sound rude when I said that. I was just saying that I wish people were a little more careful about the rides that they went on.
I knew after I wrote that somebody would get mad at me for it but then I had to leave and I forgot about changing it when I got back until after You posted Dopey!

I'm not mad at you. And I catch your meaning. You weren't blaming anybody either.

You just don't like it when people automatically assume Disney is responsible when nine times out of 10 it was a pre-existing health condition or a guest doing something he or she wasn't supposed to be doing that led to an accident.

But I don't know the family could have been more careful. I'm not sure, but I can't recall reading anything that said they knew the kid had heart problems.

Sometimes, tragedies happen and there is no one to blame.

dopey

edwardtc said:
Well, I'm sure there are tons of people that are ignorant enough to actually think that this WAS Disney's fault - in fact, I've seen a few on TV already. Last night on Fox News, they had two guests on one of the shows. One who had a brain and one who didn't - as usual. The one without, funny enough, was a member of the media (he wrote for some magazine). These words actually came out of his mouth:

"...this ride killed a 12-year-old boy..."

"...Disney knew when they were designing this ride that someday, someone would die while riding it..."

He actually was point-blank blaming Disney for this accident. In fact, he was implying that Disney was malicious in their design, knowing that someone would die on the ride. What an idiot. I was yelling at the TV - this guy was SO stupid. And the sad part is that Cletus is sitting at home watching that going, "Gol-leeee....that disneyland company done kilt that yungin! Thems should be locked up in the slammer." So, directly or indirectly, the media is responsible for all (ok, most) blaming that is being directed at Disney.

Ay, yi, yi. THAT guy is an idiot. Either that or he has some kind of agenda. To do what, I don't know. Shut down all rollercoasters? Make Disney look bad?

Most of the news stories I read were straightforward. I'd have to say this guy was the exception, not the rule. If you remember his name or the magazine he's with, let me know. Now I'm curious.

There are sources reporters consistently turn to whenever there's a negative news event about a company. Lots of political and corporate gadflies out there just trying to stir the pot. The reporters don't care whether the person is a crank; they just want to "balance" the corporate spin with an opposing viewpoint.

To some degree, companies are responsible for bringing these types of people out by not being completely open and honest. Disney PR used to have that reputation, but I think they've tried to soften up in years past in an effort to build better press relations. The life-cycle on this story, though, seems to be about over -- unless there's another incident in the near future. Let's hope not.

rbrower

dopey said:
But I don't know the family could have been more careful. I'm not sure, but I can't recall reading anything that said they knew the kid had heart problems.

I wasn't really talking about this accident when I was saying that. I was just saying that in general, i wish people were more careful about there health and what they were doing on and off the rides.

socalkdg

Turns out there wasn't an AED at the ride.

When asked about whether or not an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) was located at the attraction, Disney spokesperson Kim Prunty told MousePlanet, "There was not an AED at the attraction. We rely on highly trained and well-equipped professional paramedics (Reedy Creek) stationed in our theme parks to respond in emergency situations. In this case, professional paramedics responded within 3 minutes and 15 seconds of receiving the call."

Additionally according to Mouseplanet based on phone calls to the Disney Company AED's are only located at the resorts. They use paramedics that are onsite at all the parks.

tirian

I know that some readers may dismiss this as a rumor; but trust me, folks, I've got this story straight from someone involved in the AED purchase. Eisner was reluctant to pay for the recommended number of AEDs for WDW, complaining that they were too expensive. Within a few weeks of his heart attack, however, the AEDs were installed throughout the resort.

Yet as others have pointed out, Reedy Creek paramedics have to respond first at the theme parks. This makes sense because it is their job to determine when to use an AED. Unfortunately, it was too late for this boy.

melbatoast

As any RnRC fan would know, the ride seats two people side by side, correct? How then, can this quote from the Orlando Sentinel possible be true?

The Russells boarded Rock 'n' Roller Coaster after 11 a.m., with Michael sitting next to his mother and brother and his father behind them, said Deputy Barbara Miller, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

Doesn't that sound like he was sitting with his mother and brother and the father was behind them? That is obviously impossible considering the ride vehicle, which makes me wonder what else was speculated by people who have never even seen the ride.

DivineMadness7

melbatoast said:
As any RnRC fan would know, the ride seats two people side by side, correct? How then, can this quote from the Orlando Sentinel possible be true?

Doesn't that sound like he was sitting with his mother and brother and the father was behind them? That is obviously impossible considering the ride vehicle, which makes me wonder what else was speculated by people who have never even seen the ride.

I think this is just a case of poor writing (and proofreading) on the part of the Sentinel. I believe what they MEANT to say "Michael was sitting next to his mother with his brother and his father behind them" or something like that.

Some things may have been speculated on within the press, but I think this is a bit of a stretch.

wdwishes2005

I have finally found what I was looking for when I said you can make anything look bad with statistics.
1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!

6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

dixiegirl

wdwishes2005 said:
I have finally found what I was looking for when I said you can make anything look bad with statistics.
1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!

6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

Hay I'm all for bread!!! My husband works for a bakery in RI ,Superior Bakery....so i'm all for the bread business....

wdwishes2005

You're ignoring the facts here. I talked to my best friend's dog trainer's wife's ex husband's girlfriend's mother and she said she almost died while eating bread.

pluto77

wdwishes2005 said:
You're ignoring the facts here. I talked to my best friend's dog trainer's wife's ex husband's girlfriend's mother and she said she almost died while eating bread.
Now that you say that, I remember one time last month I was feeling a little faint while eating bread, in fact I almost passed out.

EDIT: However, I'm still pro-bread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom