Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

OliveMcFly

I do feel sorry for the family. Is anyone else like me, meaning that when we hear of a death at WDW right away you think it's someone who ignored the warnings? Now, I know we don''t know what happened yet but my goodness, it's gonna get to the point where a medical exam must be given at the front gate.

Neptune

My sorrow goes out to the family.

I guess we'll have to wait until the autopsy results come back until we can find out what REALLY killed him. Of course, the media will start bashing the ride with no end, but I'm sure it won't be the rides fault. (Just my speculation)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This isn't the only coaster of this very same design, so I doubt that it was a design flaw.

You put that many people in one place at one time, someone is bound to die of something. (as is the odds of someone being born while on vacation at WDW)

My sympathies to the family. :(

RedBaron

There was just a quick blurb on the news here in Chicago that said that the boy was limp after riding the roller coaster and the dad performed CPR and he died on the way to the hospital. I feel very sorry for the family. I am guessing the boy had a silent condition that happened to show itself on the ride. :(

Ella's Mommy

I think we have lost sight of the real reason for this post and that is that a boy died today. Imagine what his family is feeling right know. My prayers are with that family tonight.

GothMickey

Videoteck, you are the only one here who honestly offended me... you must lack common sense or are just ignorant...

Usually these types of threads lead to fighting.. People blame Disney, people blame the parents... I was involved in many of the arguments over Mission Space... And I think we all should have learned a lesson from those threads... We cannot make any FACTUAL comments until we know more... Things are very vague right now... My bet is the boy suffered from a pre-existing condition... Seems to always be the case involving these sad deaths... No matter what your opinion of the ride.. The events are tragic... No 12 year old boy, no 4 year old boy, heck, no one at all should die after riding a ride in any theme park.... Until an autopsy comes back and more facts come out, I think we just need to refrain from name calling, parent bashing, Disney bashing, media bashing.... Post your comments, but let's keep it civil..

As a side note... I did hear, I don;t know how true, but I did hear that the boy was soaking wet right before he entered the ride... If this is true, then he could have been going into a heart attack or possibly heat stroke and the ride set him off... Again, I don't know how true this information is... Just passing on what was told to me by a friend who happens to have been closely involved in this latest tragedy.

My condolences to the family in their most difficult of times.... They are in my thoughts and prayers...

missy28

Lawsuit

My father just saw the family on Fox News, and their lawyer said they were filing suit because it took 6 minutes to get the Defibrillator to the scene-- which is a long time to be without one-- so, while the jury is still out on what happened to this poor boy, it is clear that procedures need to be reevaluated if it DID take 6 minutes to get a defib to him... As a lawyer myself, though, I find it a little strange that this family managed to deal with this tragedy today, and then contact a lawyer, and manage to appear on Fox news tonight. It all seems a little fast, but I understand their grief, and I can only pray that hopefully this horrible tragedy will in some way make procedures in the parks for dealing with this sort of situation better. My heart and prayers go out to the family of this child, the father is a Army Green beret apparently, and I salute him and his family for serving our country.

EDITED: to clarify, my father is a little old, and I misunderstood! Apparently, the lawyer was for the 4 year old boy, and the defib situation was related to him, NOT today's tragedy... This family hasn't filed suit, and we are still awaiting the news of what actually happened...

mitchjs

please remember death is a part of life

for its sad for that one family...

it is not anything to get all worked up over...

unfortunitly many other kids died today, they just were not at disney world.

again, very sad for the family.

even with all the deaths at WDW, there is NO pattern, and the with the numbers on your side... your more likely to die on the way to work in your car

if the ride tests out fine, please disney dont touch it!
part of the problem with the PC world we now live in!

to add, and Neil Peart knows all about death, losing his only daughter and wife in same year

his lyics and i qoute:

"Why are we here, because where here... Roll The Bones"
"Why does it happen, because it happens... Roll The Bones"

mitch

2gether

DiZZneyPriCeSS said:
I think we have lost sight of the real reason for this post and that is that a boy died today. Imagine what his family is feeling right know. My prayers are with that family tonight.

I agree, it is a sad day for this family and I pray they have solace in some way. I too find it strange they are already suing WDW....that was pretty quick.

This is odd for me because we'll be having our second child any time now, and I can't imagine losing either, especially at WDW.

Still, some of us that have been around for a while get a little jaded....and I myself have a (very minor) heart condition and have ignored the warnings previously to ride my favorite rides. At the time I didn't know I had a problem, but maybe I will do a litte more research in the future because of this. Maybe some other parents will keep their little ones away.

the reason we are all jaded is because it happens so much elsewhere....and is not reported. At WDW, everything is under a microscope.

God bless the family....

maxime29

Premium Member
First off, definite condolances to the family for the loss of their young one.

I'm curious as to whether Disney will be selective when creating a "thrill ride" in the future. While the deaths so far (not including this recent one) have not been Disney's fault, most people would think the nature of the rides is too intense and life threatening. (Heaven forbid people actually find out if it was Disney Maintenance fault or just time for the person's life to end, premature or not. I would not be surprised if we do not see another "intense" thrill ride built on property.

blackerbys17

I agree with what so many others have said here, sometimes these things just happen. As tragic as it is, children are not immune to death. All we can do for now is pray that God gives this family some peace and enough strength to get through this tragedy. Let's all count our blessings tonight as we tuck our children into bed.

erasure fan1

First off you have to feel bad for the family who lost a son, I cant imagine how hard it will be for them.

Its been said before in this thread that any death is news, ok, then why did I not see “woman dies on pirates of the Caribbean” all over the place like this story or the 2 people on M:S. Why? Because the lady was very old (77) and we all know that pirates is in no way dangerous. I didn’t see this on TV or headlines on the internet, news paper... and I follow Disney news pretty close. The media knows that an old lady dies on pirates isn’t going to make people go OH MY I cant believe it! Because any person in their right mind will know better. Now a high profile thrill ride they can sink their teeth into. This is a tragedy for the family, and you can blame neither party. But I can be mad at how the media tells a news story. And that in no way diminishes what happened to this family.

haveyoumetmark

maxime29 said:
First off, definite condolances to the family for the loss of their young one.

I'm curious as to whether Disney will be selective when creating a "thrill ride" in the future. While the deaths so far (not including this recent one) have not been Disney's fault, most people would think the nature of the rides is too intense and life threatening. (Heaven forbid people actually find out if it was Disney Maintenance fault or just time for the person's life to end, premature or not. I would not be surprised if we do not see another "intense" thrill ride built on property.

They would probably still build them, I was watching a special on the travel channel, and some Disney Imagineering Official said that that was the future of Disney to some extent, because really, it's all people want. Probably the only reason people go to Universal's IOA.

Braves323

My news in Tampa, FL just said that an autopsy will be done on Friday. I understand what people are saying about getting checked out by a doctor but so many of these things go undetected and who would ever think that a 12 year old with no prior problems would have a medical condition. Although something could probably be said for a 4 year old riding Mission: Space, who would think twice about a middle schooler riding a roller coaster. Some have said that Disney should increase the height requirements but I teach fifth grade (age 10-11) and every year I have students who are taller than me. What should be the cut off? Unfortunately this is just another tragic accident. I admit that my first reaction when I heard the report this afternoon was OH, NO!! Here we go again. There have been several reports of people dying at Disney is recent months but each situation has been unique. There has not been a common problem that should lead people to believe Disney is at fault. When you think about the volume of people that go to Disney's 6 major parks, water parks, hotels and facilities each day, you realize that it is going to happen. People die every day. No amount of pixie dust can keep death from happening at Disney. Hopefully this time clearer heads will prevail and Disney will not be sued.

diddy_mouse

mmssbrg2 said:
I'm shocked at some of the responses that this story is generating. Keep in mind that a family on vaction just experienced a tragedy. A mother and father just lost a son and a child just lost his older brother. All a lot of you can seem to do is throw insults and accusations around. What if this family was a visitor on this board and logged on to see statements of compassion and they saw accusations that they were at fault because they are idiots. That's deplorable.

Even the thougt that a competitor park had something to do with this is absolutely insane, insensitive, irresponsible, and uncalled for. Keep your unfounded conspiricy theories to yourself.

As for the news media. They are in the business to make money. Getting a scoop on competitors is part of the business. The Sentinal's initial report stated that details were scarce and they reported what they knew at the time. This is a newsworthy story and should be taken as exactly what it is, a tragedy. It's not some conspiricy by the news media or a competitor to hurt the company's reputation or profits.

Grow up and show some compassion.

My deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of this child.

Thank you. Now we'll just have to wait and see how this sad and unfortunate situation develops...

RedGear

My thoughts are with the family right now.

The thing is that these get blown out of the water, and we over analyze EVERYTHING! I know that you are suppose to be in good health and things come up that we don't know about, but I just have two points.
1st- think about how many people come to disney every year, there is bound to be accidents, and deaths, and things happen. We have no control over it. I think the handful of deaths that have happened is expected, it's gonna happen when that many people go to one place.
2nd- it is sad that it took 6 minutes for the defib to get there. I think that every ride should have one right by the exit, espeically the high threat ones.

Go ahead and bash me on what I said, I know someone on here will. . . and I am not afarid to ride a disney ride.

But like I said my thoughts are with the family right now

pinkrose

My local news just reported that they closed the whole park today. :rolleyes: I e-mailed them to tell them that it was the ride that was closed. Not the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom