Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

DisneyGal126

I feel so bad for the family! I just can't even begin to put myself in their spot! Even if the ride wasn't responsible for the death, that family will always associate Disney w/ the death of a loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time!

I learned about this last night while watching the news. What did make me a little upset was the lack of research on the park rides 'This isn't something new for the Disney Parks, not too long ago a childed died on the Epcot RollercoasterMission:SPACE How extreme is too extreme?'

nyfrenchy

Montu said:
Well, your statistics are wrong, but I do agree with the idea behind them. Just for the record- there are three of that layout ride that were built by Vekoma: Two for Disney (Florida and Paris) and one for (at the time) Six Flags in Holland.

Explain me how my statistics are wrong. The RnRC at MGM alone has got millions of riders.

And you forgot the fourth at DCA.

Since1976

The tragedies, in descending order of importance:

1. A child lost his life.

2. A family lost a loved one.

98. The family's view of Disney World may be ruined forever.

99. Disney may be under scrutiny for its ride safety.

Videoteck

Ok so In conclusion, everyone feels bad for family, Disney will get nbamed for it, media will go crazy about it, Disney may get sued, Disney may have to "fix" the ride. End of story.

aklodge

wow... what a great, factual, researched story OS. Great job once again.:rolleyes:

Knowing the OS, its most likely they pulled those names and statements out of their brains and made them like they were the opinions of real visitors. The comments were exagerated (sp?), over-embelished, and fictional. But, hey! Whats new?:rolleyes:

now... did someone say doughnuts? :lookaroun

Videoteck

aklodge said:
wow... what a great, factual, researched story OS. Great job once again.:rolleyes:

Knowing the OS, its most likely they pulled those names and statements out of their brains and made them like they were the opinions of real visitors. The comments were exagerated (sp?), over-embelished, and fictional. But, hey! Whats new?:rolleyes:

now... did someone say doughnuts? :lookaroun

lol you posted that message at exactly 10 o Clock.

pax_65

NBC is reporting that an autopsy will be done today, so we should have much more information shortly.

This is the first death at RnRC, correct? If so, it's difficult to understand how a healthy child would die now. Either something changed with the ride (which would be Disney's responsibility) or the child had a pre-existing medical condition.

When was the ride opened? 1998? As of a couple of days ago there was really no question about its safety, except general warnings about all roller coasters - the effects of G forces, etc. I'm fairly confident there's another variable here.

It does make you think, though. My kids are daredevils and are ready to ride anything they're tall enough to ride. I've always thought parents who hold their kids back are a little overprotective... but with these types of stories I'm not so sure. Maybe it's wise to exercise a little caution.

nyfrenchy

Well if you thought that news would die today, you're wrong...

This morning (friday 30th), CNN has a journalist reporting LIVE in front of the WDW crossroads gate....

SIGH.....

Videoteck

nyfrenchy said:
Well if you thought that news would die today, you're wrong...

This morning (friday 30th), CNN has a journalist reporting LIVE in front of the WDW crossroads gate....

SIGH.....

Ugh, someone should jump him.
:brick:

LudwigVonDrake

Videoteck said:
Ugh, someone should jump him.
:brick:

Why should someone jump a TV reporter doing what his network told him to do? For reporting on a death in one of the most popular family vacation destinations in the world? This is sad, unfortunate news. But it is news and it will be reported. Instead of worrying how CNN or the Orlando Sentinel are covering the news, worry about the family. Be concerned that a family lost their son, brother and grandson. Who gives a hoot how it's "covered"? Disney will get through this and you will continue to enjoy the "Magic" of Disney.

Too bad the 12 year old won't be able to.... :(

MouseearsDeb

bgraham34 said:
Its terrible that this has happened. I am just glad it was not a 5 year old. Some pre existing condition should have caused this.
Is there really a difference? 12 or 5? A child is a child to some parent no matter what their age. Pre existing condition or not?

From what the local news is stating, the dad is a Green Beret. Considering the state of warfare going on today, he's probably seen death in some form or fashion. But I doubt any prior experience with death could prepare someone for the loss of his own flesh and blood.

1disneydood

Condolences to the family involved. It is slways sad to loose a loved one, esp. a little one.

With that said and with the most careful words I can come up with, I hope Disney does NOTHING to the ride to tame it down whatsoever, nomatter what is proven to be cause of death. I'd still ride it.

DisneySaint

I never post in threads like this because I just hate reading them, but I am going to try and squeeze a post in here amongst this warzone. I just want to make a few personal points:

- I hate when this happens. I hate it for Disney, I hate it for the injured/deceased party, and I hate it for the family of that person.
- It's not fair to anyone. Disney sincerely tries to put on a good, safe show and the family is innocent and having a blast at Disney World. Not every child can come up to their parents and say "Mom and Dad, I have an enlarged heart and shouldn't ride this ride." Even so, how many parents would still take their kid on a ride?
- This child obviously met the height requirement and we can only determine if this was a ride-enduced thing or something that would have "eventually" happened with any heightened physical emotion. The last two on Mission:Space I absolutely hate people saying "Oh Mission Space is so terrible, close it down, 34252352 people have called the ambulance on it!" You know what a large faction of that is to me? People who refused to make an effort to read the warning signs. Look, I love any kind of Disney ride and I trust them not to throw something violent at me, but even my first time riding M:S I asked a zillion questions to the CM outside, paid attention to every warning, and did everything asked of me (i.e. "keep your head forward-facing the entire time"). Sometimes when you just can't leave things up to people. People can trust Disney, but Disney can't trust all people.
- While I offer my deepest condolences to the child's family, I cannot denounce ANY ride that is functioning properly and the victim was found to have some condition aggravated by the ride. This a lot of people will disagree with though. Some folks believe if 1 in 1000 gets sick on something, then the ride should be shut down and reviewed until it's 0 in 1000. I hate to break it to those people, but 1 in 1000 people (strictly a made up number) will die doing something considered "everyday" anyways. The woman with the high blood pressure, for example. Should she have "known" about her condition? Sure. But do we all run to a doctor every time we're feeling bad? The woman may have known of her condition but if she ignored it, how can you blame the ride or the CM's running it? Just the same when the deceased M:S child's parents are sueing Disney over his death. Hey, guys, Disney is only under an obligation to guarantee your child will be put onto this ride as safe as everyone else. If he/she has a pre-existing heart condition that would have reared its head on any everyday situation, then you'd have no one to blame!

I anxiously await for the results of the autopsy to see what's up. If it is proven that he had a pre-existing condition, then I don't think anyone has a right to call out Disney on this. (This includes the Orlando Sentinel or any other newspaper and their convenient alluring language use.) If it is proven he was perfectly healthy then the next step is to verify that he WANTED to go and was ABLE to go under his own power. If that checks out, THEN and only THEN can you start looking at the ride and its statistics.

1disneydood said:
With that said and with the most careful words I can come up with, I hope Disney does NOTHING to the ride to tame it down whatsoever, nomatter what is proven to be cause of death. I'd still ride it.

This is how I see things. I love these rides and I have no problem on them (nor do a markedly majority of people) and would hate to see them nerfed down or closed.

Videoteck

Bravesfn1 said:
That's a real intelligent post.

I revised it look...

Well maybe jumps alittle extreme but to make an impact maybe we should all email the OS.

Do they have an email?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom