News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MrPromey

I'm honestly surprised Netflix hasn't dropped a couple billion dollars in Southwest Texas for their own theme park and entertainment complex. They have enough interesting IP and could license other things not yet sucked up by the other parks. It wouldn't make sense for Disney or Universal to compete further with themselves, but another player could mix things up and that would diversify the revenue stream over there.

Chapek seemed so focused on just making as much money as he can right now to ride out the bad times, but not investing in the future of the parks more is dangerous. Leaves you looking more like the Chevrolet of theme parks than the Cadillac. Reputations are hard to retrieve once lost.

Is southwest Texas much of a tourist destination, currently?

The big ones have tended to drop their resorts in places relatively close to where people were already going.

I don't know a lot about the tourist scene in that part of Texas.

Would this be Netflix planting their flag and competing with the likes of Disney/Universal/(kinda) Sea World or would it be more like their answer to a Six Flags?

MrPromey

Looking at a D+ subscription at $7.99/mo or $79/yr, I can buy a years worth of D+ for taking my family of 4 to the theater to see 1 movie a year. D+ cannibalizes theatrical releases. The only thing supporting theatrical release is FOMO.

That's not the only thing.

Crazy as it sounds, some people do actually like going to the movie theater.

I and my son are two of those people.

CaptainAmerica

When you're a woman who has had to ignore all the lewd/inappropriate things (some) men have said to her all her life, embarrassing her in front of strangers, demeaning her in the workplace, made you actually walk down different streets to avoid certain situations...come talk to us about what is "preaching".
The number of people who 1) relate to what you just said and 2) are comic book movie fans is extremely small. It doesn't diminish your experience, but it calls into question the decision making from a company whose job it is to sell content to the masses.

It's like if McDonald's decided to go 100% vegan. Some people are vegan, and that's great, and it's good to have options for them. But most people aren't vegan, and McDonald's can't survive unless they're able to sell billions of hamburgers a year. There aren't enough vegans to sustain their model.

MrPromey

The movie and the success of the rides/lands are completely separate. The existing rides in Tokyo are subpar, to put it mildly. At least one of those is coming here as a direct clone. The land itself, obviously, is immaculately themed. The DK coaster might be better than the Tokyo attractions, but it might not.

But yes, the movie will make a pile of money. I will see it day 1, but I have zero interest in SNW Orlando.

According to Universal Creative, it's not a direct clone, at least if you're talking about the karting one.

In speaking recently to someone at an event who was involved in the Japan park addition, they've made changes and improved some elements based on what they've learned from the operation of that one, for the one set to open in Hollywood.

Admittedly it was a vague statement and I don't think it's going to be a night-and-day difference but it doesn't sound like it's going to be a Ratatouille-like situation, either.

Either way, I'd argue that the movie and success of the rides/lands are not completely separate, at all.

The current Minions attraction at Universal Studios usually has one of the longest wait times of anything in the two parks (behind Hagrads but some days, the same as Velocicoaster) It's a lameish reskin of the Jimmy Neutron ride which itself was a reskin of Hanna Barbera.

It'd be nice if that attraction were better (and of course, something original that's related is going in across the path from it) but what's there hasn't been unpopular, at all.

The Mario land may not have an attraction on par with say, FOP but this is a case where the IP matters enough that it doesn't need to either because unlike FOP, people will move through the turnstiles for the IP, alone.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t agree with you, but leaving that aside, this can’t be the sort of thing people dislike about, say, Strange World, which doesn’t feature any explicit commentary of this kind. That’s why I asked my question: What exactly about Disney’s recent animated movies can be construed as “preaching”? Is representation alone the supposed issue?
I'll dumb it down for you...

many people think many of several scenarios are less frequent, or are topics that are not things that normally should be center stage.. yet in many projects there are concerted efforts to BUCK that trend and make those things/scenarios much more visible.. that causes friction. When people make a change intentionally as part of an effort to raise awareness or try to champion something... that is where people start talking 'preaching' 'woke' etc. People perceive the changes as FORCED or intentional rather than simple evolution of acceptance.

Example: if you think a gay couple is something that is less common... yet in these films it seems they are everywhere... This will stand out to you..

If you think a character is supposed to be one race, and they cast another... this will stand out to you

If you gender swap characters for no apparent reason other then it appears to be making the gender more prevalent... this will stand out to you.

The friction comes from changes that are perceived as excessive or forced. When those changes are intentional and done for the reasoning of advancing something -- that's when people start talking about AGENDAS instead of the impact of the individual change itself.

The challenge is perception is in eye of the beholder. One person sees "oh this is just more representative of reality..." another person sees "this is different... for reasons other than story". One person sees "on these are things I can more relate to..." another person sees "why are you pushing these unfamiliar topics I don't care about...".

So what one person sees as more welcoming... another may see as more disruptive. "preaching" or whatever just boils down to the interpretation of WHY these changes are happening. And all of that is BEFORE you mix in the controversy of 'this something I want to be promoted or not...'.

All the reasons why people do try to champion these changes are exactly the same reasons why the changes cause responses in those who don't want their status quo disturbed.

LittleBuford

The number of people who 1) relate to what you just said and 2) are comic book movie fans is extremely small. It doesn't diminish your experience, but it calls into question the decision making from a company whose job it is to sell content to the masses.

It's like if McDonald's decided to go 100% vegan. Some people are vegan, and that's great, and it's good to have options for them. But most people aren't vegan, and McDonald's can't survive unless they're able to sell billions of hamburgers a year. There aren't enough vegans to sustain their model.
This is a very strange comparison given that 50% of people are women. And it’s not like those of us who aren’t women need to look far to find people in our lives who are.

dreday3

I understand what you are trying to say, but I think you may be underestimating the amount of women who:

1. Experience that kind of harassment
2. Are into comic book movies.

:)

maybe the show just isn't good!

JD80

I mean She Hulk wasn't the only MCU product released this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think the point is you can’t really be an expert on shoes you’ve never walked in

montyz81

Something like Lexus would have been a better analogy.

Premium, not boutique. Building a brand image that extols quality and delivering... building a reputation through results, not flash. They were never the pinnacle of a specific quality, but they were at a premium level and a total package well beyond their peers.

They focused on their vision, delivered, and let the results speak for themselves... and then trusted that the vision, not duplication, was the model for success.

Models like Royles, etc just focus on the extreme, the opulence, the separation. Disney and Toyota instead focus on execution of a premium belief.
OK. I agree with that. Lexus then.

Heppenheimer

I see the source of your confusion now. That guy (Robert Iger) is wearing a suit. The new guy (Bob Iger, Robert's cooler brother) wears a cardigan. The guy in the suit may have mishandled the growth of the parks, but the guy in the cardigan is different even though they bear a striking resemblance to each other.
Has it ever come up in these forums how much Bob Iger resembles the villain in Big Hero 6 (or was it 8)? If I weren't on my phone I'd post a picture.

LittleBuford

I'll dumb it down for you...

many people think many of several scenarios are less frequent, or are topics that are not things that normally should be center stage.. yet in many projects there are concerted efforts to BUCK that trend and make those things/scenarios much more visible.. that causes friction. When people make a change intentionally as part of an effort to raise awareness or try to champion something... that is where people start talking 'preaching' 'woke' etc. People perceive the changes as FORCED or intentional rather than simple evolution of acceptance.

Example: if you think a gay couple is something that is less common... yet in these films it seems they are everywhere... This will stand out to you..

If you think a character is supposed to be one race, and they cast another... this will stand out to you

If you gender swap characters for no apparent reason other then it appears to be making the gender more prevalent... this will stand out to you.

The friction comes from changes that are perceived as excessive or forced. When those changes are intentional and done for the reasoning of advancing something -- that's when people start talking about AGENDAS instead of the impact of the individual change itself.

The challenge is perception is in eye of the beholder. One person sees "oh this is just more representative of reality..." another person sees "this is different... for reasons other than story". One person sees "on these are things I can more relate to..." another person sees "why are you pushing these unfamiliar topics I don't care about...".

So what one person sees as more welcoming... another may see as more disruptive. "preaching" or whatever just boils down to the interpretation of WHY these changes are happening. And all of that is BEFORE you mix in the controversy of 'this something I want to be promoted or not...'.

All the reasons why people do try to champion these changes are exactly the same reasons why the changes cause responses in those who don't want their status quo disturbed.
I agree with much of this analysis.

What I most dislike about where this friction has got us is that people are much too quick to blame diversity for a film’s shortcomings. The idea that Buzzyear, for example, is a bad film because its creators focused too much on diversity makes zero sense when you stop to think about it. Are we really to believe that so much time was spent designing characters of colour and including a gay kiss that none was left to come up with a good story?

montyz81

I think the danger there is assuming that’s baked in…

The theme quality of Disney will never be eclipsed because they started installing it standard in 1955…

But they can be overwhelmed some if Comcast just keeps building great stuff in the parks…Disney has lagged considerably unlike ever before here…and you know why?
View attachment 681925
I can agree with this. Growth through acquisition is not a sustainable model. You have to do something with the acquisition, and also, you have to continue building on your original core value. Disney has let both rot for the last three years. Also, stop focusing on things that don't help your business succeed, i.e., woke agenda, political meddling, and profit by reduction (reduction could be cost increases while not building more value or removing value without reducing costs).

correcaminos

I'm not pretending to be. But I can look at the sales data and see how many of which types of shoes were sold to whom.
Here's a gentle thought. When multiple people tell you that you are off base, you might want to listen.

It's tiresome when people really do tell other people what they experience doesn't happen when it sure did and recently. Looking at some sales data doesn't give whole pictures either. You cannot know what it is to be someone without opening your ears and mind to what others experience. Kinda what I am tried to say elsewhere a couple days ago. In this case your "sales data" would be off.

Kamikaze

"Single millennial women with a college degree in major downtown metropolitan centers" is an extraordinarily narrow target demographic, particularly for a genre that skews heavily towards boys and adult men.
Who said anything about any of the single, millennial, or college degree? And I live in suburbia.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can agree with this. Growth through acquisition is not a sustainable model. You have to do something with the acquisition, and also, you have to continue building on your original core value. Disney has let both rot for the last three years. Also, stop focusing on things that don't help your business succeed, i.e., woke agenda, political meddling, and profit by reduction (reduction could be cost increases while not building more value or removing value without reducing costs).
The “wokeness” thing a bit of a misdirection and low hanging political fruit.
Do they go too far? Objectively yes…
But it’s also a boogie man.

It’s the second biggest one…chapek was the first.

The main reason fans are frustrated and angry is they’ve completely beat us over the head on pricing and they aren’t building us much for it. At least in parks. That’s what Bob screwed for years and got a little bit better at in the end. Iger that is.

I mean…do they know how p!ssed dvc is? They froze the points and yanked passes for almost 3 years. We had “an arrangement” and that’s the wrong group to squelch on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom