News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Single millennial women with a college degree in major downtown metropolitan centers" is an extraordinarily narrow target demographic, particularly for a genre that skews heavily towards boys and adult men.

Who said anything about any of the single, millennial, or college degree? And I live in suburbia.
College educated women in urban/suburban areas are the largest demographic in the United States…and growing

But enjoy 1955, Ward 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I see the source of your confusion now. That guy (Robert Iger) is wearing a suit. The new guy (Bob Iger, Robert's cooler brother) wears a cardigan. The guy in the suit may have mishandled the growth of the parks, but the guy in the cardigan is different even though they bear a striking resemblance to each other.
Ohhhh…you’re totally right.

I was confusing old “Barney’s Bob” with the new “Patagonia Bob”

Heppenheimer

I agree with much of this analysis.

What I most dislike about where this friction has got us is that people are much too quick to blame diversity for a film’s shortcomings. The idea that Buzzyear, for example, is a bad film because its creators focused too much on diversity makes zero sense when you stop to think about it. Are we really to believe that so much time was spent designing characters of colour and including a gay kiss that none was left to come up with a good story?
It also can work both ways.

I saw about 20 minutes of Lightyear. It didn't grab my kids attention, and neither my wife nor I were drawn in enough for it to outweigh all the other things we could have been doing with our time (I never thought time would be such a precious commodity until my second child, aka The Screamer, came along). It just wasn't that good, and we're apparently not the only ones to think that. So, the TV went back to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the millionth time this year.

Now, according to some online comments (not from here), we're wrong because we don't value diversity enough to give this film a chance. Maybe we don't. We definately didn't start watching Lightyear for some higher societal goal, but we did stop watching it because it failed to meet our immediate goal of entertaining us and drawing the attention of our two preschool children.

Yes, some pundits did focus on certain aspects of the film as a reason not to watch, but lets not pretend that others on the opposite sode of the aisle didn't use these reasons as a shield for the film just not being very good.

I'm seeing similar back-and -forth play out for Strange World, a film that most likely bombed from the combination of poor marketing, too high production costs and just not being particularly good, rather than the culture wars baggage that some have focused on.

Trauma

The “wokeness” thing a bit of a misdirection and low hanging political fruit.
Do they go too far? Objectively yes…
But it’s also a boogie man.

It’s the second biggest one…chapek was the first.

The main reason fans are frustrated and angry is they’ve completely beat us over the head on pricing and they aren’t building us much for it. At least in parks. That’s what Bob screwed for years and got a little bit better at in the end. Iger that is.

I mean…do they know how p!ssed dvc is? They froze the points and yanked passes for almost 3 years. We had “an arrangement” and that’s the wrong group to squelch on.
My grandparents where DVC members, they didn’t sell their points and vow never to spend money on a Disney product again because of price increases or lack of perks.

Br0ckford

Which is why introducing the F4 and especially X-men is tantamount, these fringe characters (and keeping Spider-man going) can be the bridge to pivoting to those properties that can spawn another 10 year run

They need something to build toward again. I know they are building up to Kang, but it needs to be more obvious to the casual fan, just like the Infinity Saga was.

CaptainAmerica

Generalizations are fun.
Let's all be grownups here.

We're talking about mass media. Consumption patterns. Advertising. Product preferences.

Generalizations are the name of the game. I'm not judging individuals based on group identity, I'm saying media conglomerates need to appeal to the rules, not to the exceptions.

CaptainAmerica

almost like someone thinks they understand women a lot better than they actually do...
The Woman Respecter has logged on. Hope she sees this, bro.

By the way, the fella you're quoting literally said that his ex-girlfriend or whoever gets cat-called because she "has a dump truck." But I'm the boorish one, right?

Woman I dated most recently gets beeped at at least once a week walking the barely 1/4 mile to the running/walking greenway because she has a dump truck.

Kamikaze

We're talking about mass media. Consumption patterns. Advertising. Product preferences.

Generalizations are the name of the game. I'm not judging individuals based on group identity, I'm saying media conglomerates need to appeal to the rules, not to the exceptions.
Just because you see it as exceptions doesn't mean they actually are.

LittleBuford

Yes, some pundits did focus on certain aspects of the film as a reason not to watch, but lets not pretend that others on the opposite sode of the aisle didn't use these reasons as a shield for the film just not being very good.
Fair enough, but I think it’s worth noting that many people who value diversity are very ready to acknowledge it as a bad film. That is, the volume of criticism associating the film’s weakness with its supposed “wokeness” appears to outweigh the volume of rebuttal running in the opposite direction. I admit that this is my own (subjective) determination based primarily on what I’ve seen in this forum.

Kamikaze

By the way, the fella you're quoting literally said that his ex-girlfriend or whoever gets cat-called because she "has a dump truck." But I'm the boorish one, right?
She would self describe that way. Being self aware and/or comfortable with one's body doesn't make it disrespectful or 'boorish' (good word).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

See I think what happened was you made a socio-political generalization…got called on it…and now you’re trying to “retreat” into drab economics…

But I still love you…we all have bad days. I try to limit mine to 6 a week 👍🏻

UNCgolf

But just about EVERYONE knows who Mario is.

Knowing who Mario is isn't the same as caring about Mario, though -- nearly everyone knows who Mickey Mouse is too but that doesn't mean they care about Disney theme parks (or even Disney at all).

Not to suggest that the Nintendo land won't be a success, because it almost certainly will. I just think people are really overestimating the draw; it seems like some people think it will be the biggest draw of all time.

The movie will definitely be a big hit.

Last edited:

Trauma

My wife gets “catcalled” constantly in public. It never bothers her unless she starts to get followed or people continue after she declines their advance.

That’s why she keeps one in the chamber and trains consistently.

That being said She Hulk did not seem to speak to her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom