News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

CaptainAmerica

And, you don’t think that’s a legitimate response a female in a high salary traditional male dominated job would say? I hate to tell you but that’s a legitimate thing I see all the time in real life happen to my colleagues, the fact you think this is preaching says a lot.
I work in corporate finance and I've worked for women my whole career. I have never heard of anyone catcalling or being catcalled in my life. When my wife and I watched the scene, she said "wait, what year is it? Who catcalls anymore?"

Yeah, but the thing about this is - its absolutely true for a significant portion of women. Shoving it in peoples faces might upset some, but this is reality for a lot of women. I realize its uncomfortable to have it 'preached' at you in an entertainment program, but they're not saying anything that's out of touch with reality.
That's not saying it's not preaching. That's saying "it's preaching but I agree with the message."

JD80

I work in corporate finance and I've worked for women my whole career. I have never heard of anyone catcalling or being catcalled in my life. When my wife and I watched the scene, she said "wait, what year is it? Who catcalls anymore?"

That's not saying it's not preaching. That's saying "it's preaching but I agree with the message."

I mean, "Corporate Finance" is pretty much the definition of sheltered living.

Chip Chipperson

I think the danger there is assuming that’s baked in…

The theme quality of Disney will never be eclipsed because they started installing it standard in 1955…

But they can be overwhelmed some if Comcast just keeps building great stuff in the parks…Disney has lagged considerably unlike ever before here…and you know why?
View attachment 681925

I see the source of your confusion now. That guy (Robert Iger) is wearing a suit. The new guy (Bob Iger, Robert's cooler brother) wears a cardigan. The guy in the suit may have mishandled the growth of the parks, but the guy in the cardigan is different even though they bear a striking resemblance to each other.

LittleBuford

I don’t agree with you, but leaving that aside, this can’t be the sort of thing people dislike about, say, Strange World, which doesn’t feature any explicit commentary of this kind. That’s why I asked my question: What exactly about Disney’s recent animated movies can be construed as “preaching”? Is representation alone the supposed issue?

Touchdown

You focus on cat calling? I agree that doesn’t happen much anymore (but then again Tony Stark still did this in Iron Man 2 so not that long ago) but everything else said after it totally still happens and was my point.

CaptainAmerica

I don’t agree with you, but leaving that aside, this can’t be the sort of thing people dislike about, say, Strange World, which doesn’t feature any explicit commentary of this kind. That’s why I asked my question: What exactly about Disney’s recent animated movies can be construed as “preaching”? Is representation alone the supposed issue?
The issue (or at least, my issue) is when a myopic focus on representation comes at the expense of quality storytelling. There are content creators for whom the representation is the entire point. She-Hulk is a "girl power" superhero show that exists for the sole purpose of there being a "girl power" superhero show. Nobody bothered to consider if the characters were likeable, the dialogue made any sense, the story fit within established canon, etc. All they cared about was ticking the boxes.

Kamikaze

1) Happens literally all the time in any big city or any time a woman exercises (runs) outside. Woman I dated most recently gets beeped at at least once a week walking the barely 1/4 mile to the running/walking greenway because she has a dump truck.

2) Yes.

Prince-1

You focus on cat calling? I agree that doesn’t happen much anymore (but then again Tony Stark still did this in Iron Man 2 so not that long ago) but everything else said after it totally still happens and was my point.

Iron Man 2 came out over 12 years ago. That is a long time ago.

Disorbust

Not sure of your age or your wife but having 2 adult daughters in the finance world this nailed the cuture on the head. Catcalling no not-in the office by co-workers but walking down the street, always and espeically when their alone. Man-splaining on the daily and if you push back your being agressive. CONSTANTLY being called "sweetie" or "honey" by older male co-workers. I'm sure it's ment to be sweet, they think they are the father figure, but they should ask themselves would they call their male counter-part Sweetie.

LittleBuford

The issue (or at least, my issue) is when a myopic focus on representation comes at the expense of quality storytelling. There are content creators for whom the representation is the entire point. She-Hulk is a "girl power" superhero show that exists for the sole purpose of there being a "girl power" superhero show. Nobody bothered to consider if the characters were likeable, the dialogue made any sense, the story fit within established canon, etc. All they cared about was ticking the boxes.
I haven’t seen Strange World yet, so I’ll base my comments on Lightyear. Like many others, I thought it was a really poor movie. The story was weak, the pace ponderous, and the overall concept uninspiring. Yet a good deal of the criticism I was hearing centred on the film’s supposed “wokeness”, as if the diversity of the characters were the issue. This, I would say, is what constitutes a myopic focus on representation, and not what you’re pointing to.

CaptainAmerica

1) Happens literally all the time in any big city or any time a woman exercises (runs) outside. Woman I dated most recently gets beeped at at least once a week walking the barely 1/4 mile to the running/walking greenway because she has a dump truck.

2) Yes.

Not sure of your age or your wife but having 2 adult daughters in the finance world this nailed the cuture on the head. Catcalling no not-in the office by co-workers but walking down the street, always and espeically when their alone. Man-splaining on the daily and if you push back your being agressive. CONSTANTLY being called "sweetie" or "honey" by older male co-workers. I'm sure it's ment to be sweet, they think they are the father figure, but they should ask themselves would they call their male counter-part Sweetie.
"Single millennial women with a college degree in major downtown metropolitan centers" is an extraordinarily narrow target demographic, particularly for a genre that skews heavily towards boys and adult men.

LittleBuford

"Single millennial women with a college degree in major downtown metropolitan centers" is an extraordinarily narrow target demographic, particularly for a genre that skews heavily towards boys and adult men.
You just told us that you really enjoyed Ms. Marvel, even though you’re not a Muslim girl of South Asian heritage. One doesn’t have to directly identify with the protagonist in order to feel a rapport with them or the show.

MrPromey

This is 1000% true.

I believe their new park is a gamechanger…and i’m a tad of a “skeptic”…
But I really think it’s gonna cut into wdw…and I bet Iger knows it. The 3 years wasted of no projects starting was stupid.

When IOA opened…there was a lot of buzz around town that it was a “gamechanger”…and it was…for sea world. Disney’s lead was to great to penetrate at that time. It was a gnat on an elephant.

But the dynamics are different now.

Universal has seriously upped their standards since then while Disney has lowered theirs and we now find they've sort of converged in the middle.

Based on what we know, combined with a lot that's rumored and the fact that they haven't slowed down in the other two parks at all reminds me a lot of that old story about the the hare and the tortoise.

The second trailer for the Mario Movie just dropped and I can't tell you how many adults I know who are excited for this - both with and without children and it's of course, an Illumination/Universal release.

The quality of the animation is way beyond their normal work - like Disney/Pixar territory.

And of course, we know one thing that's confirmed for Epic, don't we?

Disney really needs to get their act together because they're losing their grip on multiple fronts.

Someone else seems to have their own synergy machine and it apparently knows how to do more than sling themed cupcakes and open IP based roller coasters themed around what appears to be a dead franchise.

CaptainAmerica

You just told us that you really enjoyed Ms. Marvel, even though you’re not a Muslim girl of South Asian heritage. One doesn’t have to directly identify with the protagonist in order to feel a rapport with them or the show.
Kamala Khan didn't preach Islam. Jen Walters did preach fourth-wave feminism.

dreday3

Kamala Khan didn't preach Islam. Jen Walters did preach fourth-wave feminism.

When you're a woman who has had to ignore all the lewd/inappropriate things (some) men have said to her all her life, embarrassing her in front of strangers, demeaning her in the workplace, made you actually walk down different streets to avoid certain situations...come talk to us about what is "preaching".

I don't know if the show worked or not, never watched it. But you are getting really close to acting as if none of what you're talking about actually happens...must just be women acting hysterical. I'm the last one who will preach, but I certainly don't dismiss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom